2024-25 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

rabidline

Final Flight
Thanks for the analysis, I agree with everything and IMO these assignments confirm to me what I said before in terms of who JSF wants to prioritise and in what order

TBH it hurts to see Kazuki treated as a 'buffer', but what else is new... At least this time JSF had the decency to send him to places where he is most likely to have fun πŸ₯β™¨οΈ
JSF doesn't have that much of a say in the GP series except NHK, IIRC. But at this point Kazuki is a skater everyone would love to have in their competition, and this season his European fans are in luck.

His assignments are pretty convenient IMO. It's likely that GP France will be chaotic (as always) but it's not too early in the season so he can prepare more, and it's not as stingy as Skate Canada recently has been. If he does well, he might as well get a good SB there and improve it at GP Finland. He can get some rest in the middle, or if things work out he can stay... in Europe in between France and Finland? If there's a convenient rink and place to stay out there, it would be more convenient.

And, if anything happens and he qualified or becomes a reserve for GPF, he doesn't have to do the last GP in China.

KiraraChin

Medalist
In a way I do think Kazuki got invited to the fun places that are convenient for him. It's likely that GP France will be chaotic (as always) but it's not too early in the season, and it's not as stingy as Skate Canada recently has been. If he does well, he might as well get a good SB there and improve it at GP Finland. He can get some rest in the middle, or if things work out he can stay... in Europe in between France and Finland? If there's a convenient base out there, it would be more convenient.
Yeah, and he normally performs well in Europe. I'm glad they're not sending him to Canada because I think that's a cursed event for him...

BTW I just posted this on Kazuki's FF, it's almost like the fun already started πŸ˜‚

ETA: A cute visual representation of which Japanese man is in each GP!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
So, just 3 Challengers this year for all the top Japanese men? Nebelhorn, Lombardia and Nepela. They rarely assign to Golden Spin, though it's a possibility if someone misses the first half of Autumn due to health issues, or isn't high enough in the standings. I'm glad Japanes skaters are returning to Slovakia, but I hope it's not only because of its weird timing this year.
*** Edit, I can't read. I skipped Asian Open. So that's 4 Challengers altogether. That's more reasonable. 4 Challengers, 8 top men, with 2 per competition, it's fair enough.
My early guesses, just for fun: Yuma and Shun to Asian Open (as they're not facing each other on the GP), Sota and Kao to Italy, Koshiro and Nozomu to Germany, Tatsuya and Kazuki to Slovakia, perhaps Sena or Kataise to Golden Spin.

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
So, just 3 Challengers this year for all the top Japanese men? Nebelhorn, Lombardia and Nepela. They rarely assign to Golden Spin, though it's a possibility if someone misses the first half of Autumn due to health issues, or isn't high enough in the standings. I'm glad Japanes skaters are returning to Slovakia, but I hope it's not only because of its weird timing this year.
*** Edit, I can't read. I skipped Asian Open. So that's 4 Challengers altogether. That's more reasonable. 4 Challengers, 8 top men, with 2 per competition, it's fair enough.
My early guesses, just for fun: Yuma and Shun to Asian Open (as they're not facing each other on the GP), Sota and Kao to Italy, Koshiro and Nozomu to Germany, Tatsuya and Kazuki to Slovakia, perhaps Sena or Kataise to Golden Spin.
If I had to bet, I'd say Nozomu to Asian Open, Yuma and Sota to Lombardia, Shun and Kao to Nebelhorn, and maybe Tatsuya at Nepela.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
If I had to bet, I'd say Nozomu to Asian Open, Yuma and Sota to Lombardia, Shun and Kao to Nebelhorn, and maybe Tatsuya at Nepela.
You don't think Kazuki will be sent to CS? I hope not. πŸ“Ώ

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Watching the DoI performances.. the men POPPED OFF this season! The programs are all so good!

My favourite is probably Shun's SP to Ladies in Lavender. The work he has done with Guillaume has really paid off, and the program is just gorgeous! He could really make a move to no. 2 if he learns how to do a camel spin (sorry Shun but it's true). His movement quality is fantastic and his musicality has improved so much!

Kao's FS is a great choice for him. I really like the first half - the intensity of the music actually works with his Kao-oticness and he's clearly feeling the music. The second half isn't quite as strong for me, but I think it will improve as his stamina rebounds throughout the season. It reminds me of the best parts of his Beauty and the Beast FS.

Sota's SP is also really good. The first half is fine, he's focusing on the jumps and it's very Benoit-esque, but the step sequence is so good! He is FLYING around the rink and the music picks up and it is *chef's kiss*. Also, he can do a camel spin (please Shun, Kao, it's been like 5 years and the spins are still giving "beat-with-ugly-stick"). If anything, his spins look faster. His opening 4T was also one of the best I've seen him do.

Yuma's new SP... the music is le sigh, the opening guitar cover of Sound of Silence is quite nice but then we have a cover that is only slightly better than the disturbing Disturbed cover. Nevertheless, the program is absolutely gorgeous. The attention to detail and the choreography is really fantastic, and the jumps were just next-level. The opening 4S was to die for, then he did a really great 4F+3T and there are some really great transitions in and out of the 3A. Despite the mediocre music, it feels like a World Champion level program. Oh, and did I mention the bi-directional spin?

I love how the men are all emo and sad emotional ballads (even most of the juniors) and the women are all doing fun pop songs and tangos :LOL:
Yuma, Shun, Kao, Sota

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist

rabidline

Final Flight
Gensan Summer Cup entries are up: https://www.jsfresults.com/non_responsive_toppage.htm?figure_top.htm,local/2023-2024/fs/25/665/index.htm

Notable entries in Men include Kazuki Tomono, Nozomu Yoshioka, Tatsuya Tsuboi, Kosho Oshima and Shunshuke Nakamura (making his debut in seniors)

Praying for a stream!
Oh... does this mean Kazuki is not going to the National Training Camp at Italy? But if there's anyone who can win the meat and Gensan and then fly to Italy for the camp it would be him.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Has there been a list of official invitations?
It was in the news a couple of days ago, after JSF's official meeting, the announcement was made:
One of the news sources in Japanese

So basically, it's a training camp to simulate FS events at Milano Olympics. The camp will be held from Aug 12-18 (for 7 days). I think the info about the Ex/show (in Varese, Italy) was released first. But actually the exhibition follows from this training camp. And the skaters to join this camp include:

Kaori Sakamoto
Yuma Kagiyama
Sota Yamamoto
Kao Miura
Shun Sato
Mone Chiba
Hanna Yoshida
Mai Mihara
Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara
Utana Yoshida/Masaya Morita

according to the announcement by JSF.

KiraraChin

Medalist
It was in the news a couple of days ago, after JSF's official meeting, the announcement was made:
One of the news sources in Japanese

So basically, it's a training camp to simulate FS events at Milano Olympics. The camp will be held from Aug 12-18 (for 7 days). I think the info about the Ex/show (in Varese, Italy) was released first. But actually the exhibition follows from this training camp. And the skaters to join this camp include:

Kaori Sakamoto
Yuma Kagiyama
Sota Yamamoto
Kao Miura
Shun Sato
Mone Chiba
Hanna Yoshida
Mai Mihara
Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara
Utana Yoshida/Masaya Morita

according to the announcement by JSF.
Thanks, I knew it I had seen it somewhere, but you were faster than me in finding the source!

I think this list basically makes it clear who's in JSF's Olympic pool and who's not, so... yeah 😐

rabidline

Final Flight
I think this list basically makes it clear who's in JSF's Olympic pool and who's not, so... yeah 😐
To be quite honest I am a bit sad about it. I suppose they only have one spot quota for the "older" non-frontrunner skaters and they gave it to Sota and Mai, and left Kazuki and Rinka behind. Well I hope Kazuki does well at Gensan and win more meat then.

rabidline

Final Flight
Kao's FS is a great choice for him. I really like the first half - the intensity of the music actually works with his Kao-oticness and he's clearly feeling the music. The second half isn't quite as strong for me, but I think it will improve as his stamina rebounds throughout the season. It reminds me of the best parts of his Beauty and the Beast FS.
I really like Kao's FS. Overall it still needs more work but I am happy that he is stepping up to fill the dramatic big music warhorse hole that no other top men is filling, and his skating is well suited for it.

KiraraChin

Medalist
To be quite honest I am a bit sad about it. I suppose they only have one spot quota for the "older" non-frontrunner skaters and they gave it to Sota and Mai, and left Kazuki and Rinka behind. Well I hope Kazuki does well at Gensan and win more meat then.
It is sad and, as @surimi said, incredibly short-sighted. Don't get me wrong, I love Sota's skating and he absolutely deserves to be in the top team, but assigning the role of 'reliable veteran' to him is risky, when they could have Kazuki who is perfectly suited for this role and has a proven track record of delivering at big events. But oh well, it's JSF 🀑

At this point my advice to anyone who likes Kazuki's skating is to enjoy his programmes and performances, but keep expectations very, very low when it comes to scoring and assignments, as he is seen as a threat to the fed rather than an asset. Therefore, I'm not expecting him to win the πŸ– I'm just looking forward to seeing his new programmes!

rabidline

Final Flight
With the high collared shirt, and the hairstyle, and the Benoit TM choreo, I thought Sota looked exactly like Adam Siao Him Fa when skating his SP, only with more polish and better skating skills. It's really eerie because they really look the same at points in the program for me. But he seems to enjoy skating to Benoit's choreo more than the more upbeat choices of DWilson and Misao Sato. He looked pretty confident.

Shun's SP was really well choreographed- there were shades of Mao, Tatsuki and Shoma in that program. He's really not the most naturally expressive but I like Shun with a more melancholic, romantic music choice than more aggressive music, and this suits him well. His artistic improvement has been really impressive to me since again, he's not as naturally expressive as his peers and will likely never match them in this lifetime, but he seemed to have worked really hard on the details.

Yuma was just displaying insane technical prowess, both in jumps and in skating skills. That's a 112+ SP when skated clean. Some of his moves are getting to be more and more reminiscent of Carolina, which makes me think he's a hybrid of Patrick Chan and Carolina Kostner of his era. For me the music may as well be on mute since it bears zero impact on his skating, and vice versa.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Japanese Men 2024-25 programmes as per Quadruple Axel Twitter account:

Yuma Kagiyama:
[SP] Song title: The Sound of Silence
Choreographer: Lori Nichol

[FS] Song title: Amexa ( β€» Apparently it's the name of a flamenco album)

Kao Miura:
[SP] Song title: Conquest of Spaces
Choreographer: Benoit Richaud

[FS] Song title: The Umbrellas of Cherbourg ( β€» Change under consideration)
Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

Rio Nakata:
[SP] Song title: Aroul / Uccen
Choreographer: Misha Ge

[FS] Song title: Pirates of the Caribbean
Choreographer: Shin Ye-ji

Sota Yamamoto:
[SP] Song title: Split, Postcards From Far Away
Choreographer: Benoit Richaud

[FS] Song title: Melting ( β€» The second half is a different song)

Shun Sato:
[SP] Song title: Ladies in Lavender
Choreographer: Guillaume Cizeron

[FS]Song Name: Nostos
Choreographer: Guillaume Cizeron

Kazuki Tomono:
[SP] Song name: Tshegue ( β€» The second half is a different song)
Choreographer: Shae-Lynn Bourne

[FS] Song title: Butterfly / MOVEMENT 11' / I NEED YOU (by Jon Batiste)