2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw that on Jimmy's Instagram story and thought it seemed a bit "off"! All I could think of was "Oh his poor back" with the lifting. 28 does seem a bit old to be switching to pairs. :biggrin:

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Oxana Vouillamoz / Flavien Giniaux (FRA, pairs) have split:

Seems like he's not very happy with her for choosing to split in the middle of the season 😬 Wonder who both of them might partner up with in the future 🤔

He can now focus his efforts into finding a new partner as opposed to being strung along. And if that partner is from another country and he wants to switch then the timing could've been worse (like with Efimova and Blommaert).

While it sucks for him and he has the right to be annoyed, i think he's being a bit unfair as Pairs is so risky, especially for the woman. If she doesn't want to continue in the partnership then competing and training til the end of the season would be risking her safety for no point. Perhaps she even wants to quit the sport.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What? I mean, she is paired up with Mitrofanov and on the list for US Nationals ??.. and Jimmy, well if he is doing pairs, he would probably the shortest pairs guy ever. I am sure he is mighty but yeah, that would be a huge change for them as Efimova was with some much taller partners before.
I am not on instagram... so I will let others try to give us more info about this.. but yeah... where is @moonvine ?

ETA : now that I saw the instagram post below... definitely a joke :)
Come on y’all. Jimmy is shorter than I am. He will not be doing pairs. Of course it was a joke.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Emma Goodstadt announced her retirement from competitive skating, which means Emma Goodstadt/Christian Bennett (Canada, ice dance) are no longer a team.
Weren't they the team that had a really horrible collision during the warm-up/practice at Skate Canada Challenge? I think she even fractured her pelvis, and while it seemed to be relatively "minor" (i.e. no surgery, fairly short recovery time for a fracture), I can definitely see how that would shift your perspective and make you think about what you really want from life.

Good luck to both Emma and Christian in their future endeavors, and best wishes to Emma to continue recovering well. ❤️ (Oh, and Happy (late) birthday to Emma, who turned 19 yesterday!🥳)

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Weren't they the team that had a really horrible collision during the warm-up/practice at Skate Canada Challenge? I think she even fractured her pelvis, and while it seemed to be relatively "minor" (i.e. no surgery, fairly short recovery time for a fracture), I can definitely see how that would shift your perspective and make you think about what you really want from life.

Good luck to both Emma and Christian in their future endeavors, and best wishes to Emma to continue recovering well. ❤️ (Oh, and Happy (late) birthday to Emma, who turned 19 yesterday!🥳)
They were the team with the collision at Challenge and injury, so that ended their season. I agree, it would have a shift in perspective and best of luck to her at university. Hopefully Christian can find a partner and continue if he wants to too.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Surprised, not surprised. Startled that it would happen before the season is up, but she's looked so unhappy in the kiss and cry this season.
Reality check: Sadly, Mc/Spir began losing ground competitively since the summer. Their scores at Lake Placid in the international event were placing them behind two upcoming teams in the domestic event, Wolfkostin/ Tsarevski and Flores/ Desyatov. Things did not get better in the fall. Mc/Spir's scores continued to plummet at GP comps. U.S. ice dance, as we all know, is a tough field. It's gonna be a battle in Columbus, in January, even with Mc/Spir out of the mix. In any case, Mc/Spir were unlikely to overcome their declining international scores against compatriot teams. Good luck to both Lorraine and Anton in their futures.

skatingguy

On the Ice

theblade

On the Ice
I wonder if Jonathan Rogers and Lorraine will have a tryout together. He didn't want to continue his last Junior season and is turning senior next year. Jeffrey Chen is also senior next year. No foreign visa issues to worry about. Of course, Lorraine is very experienced at the senior level.