2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thierry, there is a Canadian-born pairs lady who skates for Korea now training in Canada, who has suddenly found herself needing a new partner. I’m sure you know this, but it bears mentioning.
When did Thierry last compete for Canada? I can't imagine she would want to change skating nationalities because she would get a lot more opportunities skating for Korea than for Canada. If you are referring to the skater I think, I was impressed when I saw her with Steve Adcock last year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When did Thierry last compete for Canada? I can't imagine she would want to change skating nationalities because she would get a lot more opportunities skating for Korea than for Canada. If you are referring to the skater I think, I was impressed when I saw her with Steve Adcock last year.
I do not think Thierry would ever switch nationalities nor that Skate Canada would ever allow him to do so.. he is a top notch pairs partner and with the right match, he could get up there.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Gabbie's instagram post has been edited a bit. Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Surely, a switch to ice dance or professional skating isn't in the books for her?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gabbie's instagram post has been edited a bit. Maybe I'm reading too much into it? Surely, a switch to ice dance or professional skating isn't in the books for her?
indeed, she removed the to skating and changed by to this chapter....

At the same time, the split would be confirmed as they are not entered at challenge which is happening this weekend.

I am a bit surprised/not surprised. I just wished they had stuck it out for one full season because with Izzo being new to pairs, it may have taken her longer to adjust.

Re Thierry : do not forget he represented Canada at 4CC. If ever he were to represent another country, like someone mentioned it earlier on, he would need to sit out two years to get his release. He has already been inactive for quite a while with Lori-Ann's injury, covid etc. I doubt he would like to negotiate a release. On top of that, with the departure of Nic and Emma, I am not so sure Skate Canada would let Thierry go easily. There are a lot of women skating both in junior and senior fields in Canada who may just be a good match for him. I hope we will see him again soon. He is one of my favourites.

Last edited:

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone have a translation? Instagram won't let me ask for one without an account and my old A-level (Abitur) German is only enough for around half of it.

I'm sad to see Nicole go, but I am also glad that she has been able to end her career on the high of the standing ovation she got at Worlds, and seemingly on her own terms. I'd wondered when she announced she was taking this season off whether she was testing out what it would be like before actually retiring.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does anyone have a translation? Instagram won't let me ask for one without an account and my old A-level (Abitur) German is only enough for around half of it.

Aha! Somebody else that did German at school, and can't remember much now.

I have always had a fascination with all things German, and always wanted to learn the language. But when we started high school, the only language that was taught was French. I was actually good at it, but I didn't like it. So, when the pupils in the top 2 classes were offered the chance to learn German when we reached Third Form, I jumped at the chance. The teacher was brilliant, and I was doing really well. And I didn't hesitate to choose it as one of my GCSE subjects the following year.

There were only 6 of us doing German for GCSE. And unfortunately, we got a different teacher, who was straight out of teacher training. Really nice guy with a great taste in music, but not a great teacher. And I really struggled. I ended up bottom of the class, and when my GCSE results came through, it was my worst grade.

I would have loved to do German at A-level. But after how the GCSE course went, it was not really an option. So, I hope you had a better experience.

Anyway, enough about me. Here is a translation, courtesy of Google Translate:

Going when it's most beautiful😍Nicole Schott has decided to end her career at the peak of her sport. At the 2023 World Cup in Japan, the 27-year-old ran the freestyle of her life and wants to stop with her best performance. We congratulate you on a long and successful career on the ice👏

✨️2 Olympic participations in 2018 and 2022
✨️7 World Cup participations with two top ten places
✨️7 European Championship participations with four top ten places
✨️7 German championship titles (all-German record)

Thank you for the wonderful programs and emotional moments! We will miss you! All the best for your future🫶

🔗You can read more about Nicole's end of career in the article on the DEU website www.eislauf-union.de (link in story)!

I'm sad to see Nicole go, but I am also glad that she has been able to end her career on the high of the standing ovation she got at Worlds, and seemingly on her own terms.

I feel the same. After how well Worlds went, I am glad that Nicole has decided to go out on a high.

All the best to Nicole for whatever she plans to do in the future!

I'd wondered when she announced she was taking this season off whether she was testing out what it would be like before actually retiring.

And you were right!

It's funny. In so many other sports, if somebody takes a sabbatical, it usually does become permanent. But for those that do make a comeback, it usually turns out to be a disaster, and they end up going into retirement with their reputation sullied.

Yet in figure skating, it is normal to take a sabbatical after an Olympic season, and to then come back later in the Olympic cycle. Or (for the girls, anyway) to go off and have a baby, and then come back. And for most, it is like they had never been away. They just pick up where they left off.

This really is a funny sport that we like.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It appears that Ice Dancers Louise BORDET / Thomas GIPOULOU (FRA) have split.

Because this morning Agathe TOURNADRE / Thomas GIPOULOU (FRA) were competing at the Bosphorus Cup.

It must have been a very late change of partners for Thomas, because the ISU Bio for his partnership with Louise had already been fully updated for this season! :drama:

EDIT: Just found the announcement about Louise and Thomas' split. It was posted on the partnership's Instagram page on 19th August:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwI2j-1oV_e/

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Alisa Efimova and Jimmy Ma😮 new pair in pairs. just read from Jimmy's ig stories. Must work now, so no time for searching more about it.
Edit. Obviously this was
Jimmy's joke.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Alisa Efimova and Jimmy Ma😮 new pair in pairs. just read from Jimmy's ig stories. Must work now, so no time for searching more about it.
What? I mean, she is paired up with Mitrofanov and on the list for US Nationals ??.. and Jimmy, well if he is doing pairs, he would probably the shortest pairs guy ever. I am sure he is mighty but yeah, that would be a huge change for them as Efimova was with some much taller partners before.
I am not on instagram... so I will let others try to give us more info about this.. but yeah... where is @moonvine ?

ETA : now that I saw the instagram post below... definitely a joke :)

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Screenshot_20231205-063527-362.png

Screenshot of Jimmy's story above.

I think he might be joking? The "I'm sowwy" to Misha? And Misha reposted the story on his own Instagram? I'm not quite sure what's going on!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A little pause to find out what is going on. Well, I heard local commentators call Jimmy as a prankster, (a word from google translator. hope the meaning is right) so maybe he is joking.