2023 World Figure Skating Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Rhythm Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But there are no components called "Tonto liked it" or "Compelling backstory."
Here is the deal :) if fans like things and these skaters do not end up winning... and I am not necessarily talking about dedicated fans.... but all fans in general, then the scoring system may be fine and fair but it is NOT matching the perception of the fans... and that matters greatly in a judged sport.... People NEED to understand why a team is 5 points better than the other. If it's some obscure thing, then people disengage. I love ice dance with a passion, and half the time, i am perplexed to say the least... I cannot imagine how my next door neighbour would fare with it... Ice dance committee needs to do something about this... For instance, to me, the best Choreo rhythmic steps was FBS. Was that reflected in the mark? Nope... and that's not a level issue... they all get 2.0.... it's a "GOE" issue... Pretty hard to beat FBS on this occasion... but they are in 5th place.

Compelling history : interestingly enough, I do believe that pretty much all elite teams have endured sufficient hardship and shown much resilience and passion of the sport to deserve titles.... Based only on that, the Estonians should win 5 world titles and Olympics too :) So, that's why I crossed it... It's good banter. but for me, not an important factor. Piper and Paul have been waiting FOREVER behind Scott and Tessa and Andrew and Kaitlyn... They have also endured the "Piper is not good enough" talk for long time and she is so much better than before. They got noticed for being quirky, then held down for being too quirky... now they are not quirky enough.... or whatever.. there is always something... and again, we could tell another compelling story about FBS and CB and everyone... watch out for my compelling story for Lajoie Lagha when I go to worlds in Montreal next year : Lajoie Lagha were denied a participation at 2023 words... despite winning medals at both their GPs, being second at Nationals, and earning a podium finish at 4CC, and are about 7th in the world... so they deserve the title in their hometown of Montreal :)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I missed the first two couples because my laptop couldn't find the CBC English live stream, but then I hunted around myself and picked it up on YouTube -- which shortly thereafter started showing the CBC logo in the corner of the screen. From then on it was a marathon lasting about six hours, and why I kept watching I don't know, especially when Latin is my least favourite dance rhythm. My cat was thoroughly disgusted with me because I kept telling him whatever it was he wanted, he had to wait for the next ice resurfacing. At least as the hours went on there was gradually less wiggling and mugging "ooooooh" for the spectators/judges and less trashy costumes. (Or perplexing ones, like the girl who appeared to have forgotten to put anything on over her black lacy underwear on top and tied a shiny apron askew around her bottom half.) I don't know if I'll be able to watch the whole free dance tonight since it starts more than an hour later. At least there will be only twenty couples instead of more than thirty. But on the other hand, longer programs....:bed:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Greetings from Saitama!

I haven't been able to get onto the internet much due to the WiFi situation here. I'm currently at my Airbnb, and the only place I know for internet near the arena is a Lawson convenience store...I can't even get internet inside the arena itself. Yesterday was a long day, but at least it was pleasantly surprising! If you heard someone wildly screaming at the results of the pairs free skate, that person was probably me, lol.

It's a nice sunny day outside, and I kind of want to explore some shrines nearby (and pray for Shoma's ankle while I'm at them). Therefore, I know I'll be missing the first few ice dance groups, but I hope they bring the heat inside the arena as well! 🔥

Edit after the rhythm dance: Sadly, the weather was actually overcast when I stepped outside, it then got a little windy, and a few hours later it was drizzly. At least it was really on fire inside! 🔥
Thank you for your reports...Anything you put out is appreciated by us arm chair travelers. If I ever get to Bali or Japan there are many temples and shrines I would want to visit....so much art...so much beauty.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm wondering about Mark's accent -- is it Scottish?
Yes, but I can't hear him clearly enough to pick out what city or part of the country. (Credentials: parents from Aberdeen and Balfron, Stirlingshire, grandparents from Dumfries, rural Aberdeenshire, central Highlands, and Hebrides.)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, but I can't hear him clearly enough to pick out what city or part of the country. (Credentials: parents from Aberdeen and Balfron, Stirlingshire, grandparents from Dumfries, rural Aberdeenshire, central Highlands, and Hebrides.)
Thank you! Wherever he's from, I very much appreciated his commentary.

viennaskater

Medalist
I am saddened that marie dupayage and partner did not make the cut. Super unusual RD and has anyone seen their FD? It's to die for! Three French ice dance couples and the highest ranked one is the worst of the three! 😣

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
okay, that did not crossover with me.
Schubert would have probably worked, I had Bartók and Pärt back then
Sniff.:( Finished up my ARCT in piano while we lived in Toronto. Week after getting my diploma, I accidentally sliced my left thumb to the bone. Healed bent stiff. Small hands to begin with, couldn't stretch to an octave with my left hand, the one you really need it for with the big chords often in the left. Switched to singing and Celtic lap harp instead. Still miss the piano.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
i say it to my kids... :) strangely, most of them like Czerny though... I tell them he was the student of Beethoven... then draw up the lineage up to my last teacher..... and to them... and show them how we all come from the guy who wrote Für Elise :)
A piece forever popular thanks to ice cream trucks.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Wow... interesting that Patrice only appeared for Chock and Bates too...while MF did the job for everyone else... I guess he is ISU coach of the year and shows up for the chosen ones. :)

PS i am not that mad... if i were, I wouldn't watch this sport anymore... but really... i feel my limits being tested :)
Maybe he's the one who's better at hand-holding and multitasking with a variety of students backstage and she's better at soothing last-minute nerves at the boards ? I don't know either of them personally, so just a possibility. I know Wing and Lowe divide their coaching duties along those lines.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
This is going way back to the first group (I think, because I missed the very beginning of the broadcast), but I was intrigued by the faces of the couple representing the Philippines. Not their skating, their expressions. The American girl looks like Meghan Markle on skates, and her Russian blades-for-hire partner is completely deadpan expressionless whether he's on the ice, off it, skating in perfunctory style or standing around. He looks like he's just going through the moves, thinking boredom? irritation? "I'm not paid enough for this gig"? "Remind me where are the Philippines again"? Even a group pose in the K&C couldn't get a smile out of him. The only couple in the earliest groups that I remember, and for all the wrong reasons, but I kept thinking, "Kid, this is a performance sport. I get that you wish you were anywhere else, but you're not, so do your job and PERFORM!"

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sniff.:( Finished up my ARCT in piano while we lived in Toronto. Week after getting my diploma, I accidentally sliced my left thumb to the bone. Healed bent stiff. Small hands to begin with, couldn't stretch to an octave with my left hand, the one you really need it for with the big chords often in the left. Switched to singing and Celtic lap harp instead. Still miss the piano.
I'm so sorry that happened to you but very glad you were able to make the change!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Look, this isn't a mystery and it's not a conspiracy.

Piper had an emergency surgery, and they lost a lot of training time. If you look at the protocols, the difference is nearly all on the technical side, right where you'd expect them to be hurt the most.

It is very unfortunate that this happened so close to the end of the season. It's not her fault, and it's not the judges' fault, and it's not her competitors' fault. They're wonderful athletes, and by all accounts they're good people, too, but sometimes bad breaks just come your way.

What do y'all expect the judges and tech panel to do? Input the scores from the elements they performed at a competition three months ago?
Agreed.

What surprised me the most when I looked at the scores (was asleep during the live competition, so I checked the scores before watching) was Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen being behind Fear/Gibson. I understand fans being frustrated by the margin of difference here, but... frankly, the scores have been wild like that all season, often favoring Gilles/Poirier. But this was not their best outing of the season by any means and I think the top three placements are pretty fair.

Last edited:

Demandred

On the Ice
Guinard/Fabbri were really good IMO. Piper and Paul being 0.87 points behind them is hardly a sign of some judging conspiracy.

For me the really baffling judging decision was Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen being behind Fear/Gibson. FB/S were sensational IMO.

I am happy the Taschlers are in the Top 10, hopefully they will remain there after the free too.

Reed and Ambrulevicius were one of the highlights for me, really captivating oerformance.

viennaskater

Medalist
This is going way back to the first group (I think, because I missed the very beginning of the broadcast), but I was intrigued by the faces of the couple representing the Philippines. Not their skating, their expressions. The American girl looks like Meghan Markle on skates, and her Russian blades-for-hire partner is completely deadpan expressionless whether he's on the ice, off it, skating in perfunctory style or standing around. He looks like he's just going through the moves, thinking boredom? irritation? "I'm not paid enough for this gig"? "Remind me where are the Philippines again"? Even a group pose in the K&C couldn't get a smile out of him. The only couple in the earliest groups that I remember, and for all the wrong reasons, but I kept thinking, "Kid, this is a performance sport. I get that you wish you were anywhere else, but you're not, so do your job and PERFORM!"
Um, wrong thread my dear. You must be referring to the pairs event. No Filipino ice dance team here!