2023 World Junior Free Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Free Dance

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Welcome to figure skating. Actually, with dance, I just enjoyed the final flight...amazing performances...I will let the judges judge....I like the performance art....
Is that why they give out four medals in the USA nationals? I've never understood the pewter medal thing, especially when you see a photo of the podium with the "close-but-not-quite" pewter medallist(s) standing off to one side.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Drat! I like them!

But, totally the right decision. If you are not well, it is better to not do something that could make it worse.

Get well soon! :ghug:
I remember one big competition long ago (might have been Worlds, or Canadian nationals leading to Worlds), when Aaron Lowe got food poisoning but they skated anyway. By the end of the program Megan was practically holding him up and his face was the same colour as the ice. He was lucky that was before the days of twizzle sequences. Would have been a killer, feeling that sick!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Watched it all and...sigh. Guess Junior ID lost for me its status of FS 'safe haven' lol.
Heartbroken over Phebe and James, truly. At the same time happy for Nadiia and Peter. Wish there was possibility to award both.
Congratulations to Hannah and Ye. Very curious about their senior stuff and how they career will progress because they are imho capable of pulling off a variety of repertoire.
Congrats to the winners too (I guess). The thing is though...After seeing takes yesterday and today proclaiming them new Virtue/Moir (some going even further...) and that their career will be like V/M's one...it must be nice to think so far ahead instead of waiting for the real thing. Like, praise them for what goes on NOW and at least wait for first few SENIOR seasons to see how this talented crop of dancers will fare.
Maybe I'm just getting more and more annoyed by ID fan crowd. Or I'm too realisting/jaded over how this discipline works. Could be both.

theblade

On the Ice
I agree. Not to take anything away from the skaters, but scoring is different now.

And frankly, comparing old athletic lifts versus new winning lifts (M/M, PapsCiz) is important. What Virtue/Moir and Davis/White were attempting in the context of a program was much harder.

M/M have a lot of drive. And it shows in their skating. But their musicality is a work in progress.

Hannah has a tremendous amount of narrative expression in her skating. She does not need a singer to proxy a story on ice for her. Her partner, performance-wise, is not at the same level. He does keep pace with her and lift her and accompany here, but she is so much better at musicality. The B/Bs as well. And James - Phoebe is talented, but James has "it".

The competition was very impressive and showed a great deal of ice dance talent.

I do worry, however, that other freestylers will just take up dance and think it's not that hard. With the complete watering-down of pattern dance at the highest levels, in the future, long-term ice dancers working up the ranks will be at a potential disadvantage to other skaters switching from the freestyle ranks. M/M as a team have many fine qualities. But ice dance is veering further from it's ballroom roots into a merge of freestyle (cross cuts) and show skating. (I'm thinking of Fear and Gibson, another team with many fine qualities, that nonetheless has a lot of athletic lifts but less of the ice dance chops that V/M and D/W had.) Pattern elements separate competitors more clearly.

Yes, I sound old.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Watched it all and...sigh. Guess Junior ID lost for me its status of FS 'safe haven' lol.
Heartbroken over Phebe and James, truly. At the same time happy for Nadiia and Peter. Wish there was possibility to award both.
Congratulations to Hannah and Ye. Very curious about their senior stuff and how they career will progress because they are imho capable of pulling off a variety of repertoire.
Congrats to the winners too (I guess). The thing is though...After seeing takes yesterday and today proclaiming them new Virtue/Moir (some going even further...) and that their career will be like V/M's one...it must be nice to think so far ahead instead of waiting for the real thing. Like, praise them for what goes on NOW and at least wait for first few SENIOR seasons to see how this talented crop of dancers will fare.
Maybe I'm just getting more and more annoyed by ID fan crowd. Or I'm too realisting/jaded over how this discipline works. Could be both.
I am kind of surprised (from a stadium viewpoint only) why people seem to think the British couple had a chance at the podium. I didn’t see TES so maybe their elements are good, but they didn’t look interesting live, while B/B were incredible. Beaumont maintained sincere facial impression throughout the skate looking over the audience for example, a great marker for maturity of performance. Bashinskaya was channeling so strongly it was amazing.

Koreans were a force of nature, it was like watching the hurricane. My mom liked B/B the best, I liked the Koreans. On the other hand, my mom was so worried by Koreans’ exceptional performance she was whining in my ear for half of M/M dance because she was afraid Koreans would win.

To tell you the truth despite the horrid music choice, I liked N/M more than the British. Dress was wonderful for the British though. The younger British team seemed so much more alive, even though they are obviously very much the beginners in terms of mastery.

I also know it shouldn’t matter for judging, but i didn’t like the ‘vibe’ of the older British team, while B/B were magic at the ‘how skater feels as skater’ layer. The British female partner just projects unpleasant for me, in contrast to every other British skater in competition for whatever reason.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Like, praise them for what goes on NOW and at least wait for first few SENIOR seasons to see how this talented crop of dancers will fare.
Maybe I'm just getting more and more annoyed by ID fan crowd.
I made the mistake of venturing into the postings of a subset of the ice dance fan crowd on Twitter and your post reminded me of exactly why I was put me off that particular part of skating Twitter: Teams being anointed as 'the chosen ones' and/or 'the next VM' while other teams are torn down/insulted, purely based on the whims of a few vocal posters, plus the constant comments that some teams are 'hags' and should retire immediately to let [insert chosen team] win/get a Worlds spot/get a place on the National team. Needless to say, I'm now much more careful with the skating-related accounts I interact with and read!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I made the mistake of venturing into the postings of a subset of the ice dance fan crowd on Twitter and your post reminded me of exactly why I was put me off that particular part of skating Twitter: Teams being anointed as 'the chosen ones' and/or 'the next VM' while other teams are torn down/insulted, purely based on the whims of a few vocal posters, plus the constant comments that some teams are 'hags' and should retire immediately to let [insert chosen team] win/get a Worlds spot/get a place on the National team. Needless to say, I'm now much more careful with the skating-related accounts I interact with and read!
ETA - in case this gets screenshoted (saw that practice few times already) and goes on Twitter among ID fandom there: hope you will have a good laugh from it (being also a laugh from yourselves :)).
Finally someone who 'gets' me, thank you.
Ice Dance Twitter is one the most toxic, biased, hypocritical places online I've ever saw. Mind you, I'm a ID fan/viewer/enjoyer (well, for some part...) and I can be petty/snarky on there regarding the discipline, BUT - the amount of judgemental prejudice and 'if we like them - it's judging fault, I we hate them - it's their fault' mentality I am seeing over there makes me shake my head. The other thing? Glorification of particular ID coaching places at the cost of condemning others (how many tweets I saw dreaming that Nadiia/Peter would change coaches...). I can write a book at this point about this.
The overall lack of some kind of maturity, sense of cattiness and 'privilege' of sorts (meaning 'stanning' the 'right' team/teams, in the perception of the auditorium of course) are overwhelming in that space. Seeing 'usual' people there posting stuff only convinced me in what I wrote above. The senior Worlds will be MUCH worse.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am kind of surprised (from a stadium viewpoint only) why people seem to think the British couple had a chance at the podium. I didn’t see TES so maybe their elements are good, but they didn’t look interesting live, while B/B were incredible. Beaumont maintained sincere facial impression throughout the skate looking over the audience for example, a great marker for maturity of performance. Bashinskaya was channeling so strongly it was amazing.

Koreans were a force of nature, it was like watching the hurricane. My mom liked B/B the best, I liked the Koreans. On the other hand, my mom was so worried by Koreans’ exceptional performance she was whining in my ear for half of M/M dance because she was afraid Koreans would win.

To tell you the truth despite the horrid music choice, I liked N/M more than the British. Dress was wonderful for the British though. The younger British team seemed so much more alive, even though they are obviously very much the beginners in terms of mastery.

I also know it shouldn’t matter for judging, but i didn’t like the ‘vibe’ of the older British team, while B/B were magic at the ‘how skater feels as skater’ layer. The British female partner just projects unpleasant for me, in contrast to every other British skater in competition for whatever reason.
Nowhere I said that Bekker/Hernandez had chance for the podium. I was rather sure B/B will get above them, which in the end proved to not be that clear case (should Brits had no deduction, they would be on the podium). I've only reflected on my personal impressions, being fan of both teams and unprofessionally judging both performances yesterday as impsctful and deserving recognition.
PS. As for the 'vibe'...contrary to your statement on how it shouldn't be part of judging, it very much starts to be, if people like it or not. In both juniors and seniors.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is always the same though... Last year, people said the same of the Browns... yet, some fans (including yours truly) were careful, acknowledging how much fun they are and how talented they are, but also, being "responsible fans" in admitting they had areas of weakness that do not affect them in juniors but will do so in seniors. And then, after a year of senior competition, I feel the Browns have improved steadily. Not enough to compete with the top teams, but they are doing better and better... yet, the fans who had projected them as the special team, are now changing their tune and saying they must change coaches and packaging etc... It is always like this... The Czech team is talented, strong, powerful, athletic, but they have work to do too before they fair well in seniors.. Their first test will be to get out of Czech republic ahead, because the Taschlers are also very good. Twitter can be a good resource if you look at "verified" and serious accounts... but there are so many trolls out there...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree. Not to take anything away from the skaters, but scoring is different now.

And frankly, comparing old athletic lifts versus new winning lifts (M/M, PapsCiz) is important. What Virtue/Moir and Davis/White were attempting in the context of a program was much harder.

M/M have a lot of drive. And it shows in their skating. But their musicality is a work in progress.

Hannah has a tremendous amount of narrative expression in her skating. She does not need a singer to proxy a story on ice for her. Her partner, performance-wise, is not at the same level. He does keep pace with her and lift her and accompany here, but she is so much better at musicality. The B/Bs as well. And James - Phoebe is talented, but James has "it".

The competition was very impressive and showed a great deal of ice dance talent.

I do worry, however, that other freestylers will just take up dance and think it's not that hard. With the complete watering-down of pattern dance at the highest levels, in the future, long-term ice dancers working up the ranks will be at a potential disadvantage to other skaters switching from the freestyle ranks. M/M as a team have many fine qualities. But ice dance is veering further from it's ballroom roots into a merge of freestyle (cross cuts) and show skating. (I'm thinking of Fear and Gibson, another team with many fine qualities, that nonetheless has a lot of athletic lifts but less of the ice dance chops that V/M and D/W had.) Pattern elements separate competitors more clearly.

Yes, I sound old.
I consider myself old for quite some time already, even more so when I speak about Ice Dance and especially facing opinions/narratives/takes posted by teenagers. You sound reasonable, not old.

The thing is...judging from ID tech committee musings, the discipline veers into being 'tik-toked' in my opinion. Emphasis seems to be put more and more on potential of becoming 'viral', attracting younger audiences and making competition into popularity contest. Or who may have the best politicking skills, feds or schools (depending on circumstances, possibly both). And it hurts me that so much subjectivity starts to determine who is 'the best'. It's not anymore about skills, technical prowess - for me it's more about right way to fitness the system created.

It's me sounding old. And bitter :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nowhere I said that Bekker/James had chance for the podium. I was rather sure B/B will get above them, which in the end proved to not be that clear case (should Brits had no deduction, they would be on the podium). I've only reflected on my personal impressions, being fan of both teams and unprofessionally judging both performances yesterday as impsctful and deserving recognition.
PS. As for the 'vibe'...contrary to your statement on how it shouldn't be part of judging, it very much starts to be, if people like it or not. In both juniors and seniors.
I hope that the vibe won’t be. I like fair judging! The stories that unfold in the competition when someone gives a good fight or is charismatic are great, but I don’t want all extroverts all the time.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Is that why they give out four medals in the USA nationals? I've never understood the pewter medal thing, especially when you see a photo of the podium with the "close-but-not-quite" pewter medallist(s) standing off to one side.
I think this is a holdover tradition from the way that US Nationals competitors used to be chosen. In that system, the 9 Regions of the USA held qualifying competitions, with the top four of each region moving on to one of the 3 Sectional Competitions. Then the top 4 from each of the 3 Sections move on to the Nationals. That's 12, added to the competitors receiving byes from high placements/results at international competitions. I think the thinking was that 3 medals vs 4 progressing upward was an awkward moment for the 4th place person, hence a pewter medal.

Covid changed some aspects of the qualification process (IMO forced some changes for the better, and less rigid in terms of opportunities). But the pewter medal tradition has not been discarded.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think this is a holdover tradition from the way that US Nationals competitors used to be chosen. In that system, the 9 Regions of the USA held qualifying competitions, with the top four of each region moving on to one of the 3 Sectional Competitions. Then the top 4 from each of the 3 Sections move on to the Nationals. That's 12, added to the competitors receiving byes from high placements/results at international competitions. I think the thinking was that 3 medals vs 4 progressing upward was an awkward moment for the 4th place person, hence a pewter medal.

Covid changed some aspects of the qualification process (IMO forced some changes for the better, and less rigid in terms of opportunities). But the pewter medal tradition has not been discarded.
Ah. Unless it's changed since the days when I was more involved with the CFSA/Skate Canada, we also used the "top four move up" system from the zone/region etc levels of competition, but without any tangible award for the fourth place finisher. I guess the thinking was that just getting to move on to the next competition level was reward enough.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I didn't know that Kai is half-Japanese from his mother which I did noticed the odd comments to him the he looked like Vincent Zhou during JGP Riga:
Keegan Messing used to get comments like that until the Skate Canada public relations dept (I guess that was the source, anyway) started pushing his notable gt-gt-grandfather who was the first "official" Japanese immigrant to Canada and be granted citizenship. That ancestry is also via his mother, like Kai's.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is always the same though... Last year, people said the same of the Browns... yet, some fans (including yours truly) were careful, acknowledging how much fun they are and how talented they are, but also, being "responsible fans" in admitting they had areas of weakness that do not affect them in juniors but will do so in seniors. And then, after a year of senior competition, I feel the Browns have improved steadily. Not enough to compete with the top teams, but they are doing better and better... yet, the fans who had projected them as the special team, are now changing their tune and saying they must change coaches and packaging etc... It is always like this... The Czech team is talented, strong, powerful, athletic, but they have work to do too before they fair well in seniors.. Their first test will be to get out of Czech republic ahead, because the Taschlers are also very good. Twitter can be a good resource if you look at "verified" and serious accounts... but there are so many trolls out there...

Hmmmm.

Well, with regard to Oona and Gage, maybe other GS posters projected great things. I loved them, I love them, they have the "it" factor (particularly Gage) that you can't teach. I thought they had a good chance to win Junior Worlds. Turns out they did. ;)

Never ever ever in my wildest dreams did I think they would even crack the US top five as seniors. Let alone GPs. And they didn't.
I, and most of their fans that I know (which certainly isn't all of them), have been fantasizing about a coaching switch for years now. I think Joel is a good person and a good coach, but ID is politicking and Oona and Gage need that push. And more polish.

Anyone who projects success for junior skaters in senior ranks ...hmmm again.

Don't know enough about the Czech team to project their success, but for me they do not have the "it" factor of Oona and Gage. Nothing to do with their results, everything to do with who I watch. :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada

Yes, I sound old.
As an old (in both senses) pairs skater, my concern is that dance is encroaching more and more into pairs territory. I didn't mind them adding the pairs spins, but the lifts are creeping higher every year, there are "partner assisted jumps" that are looking like low twist lifts, some ice-level spins by the woman that are touching on death spirals. There are show-skating elements being added that were for long forbidden in competition, like helicopter spins, the ultimate being that cringe-making stomach-on-head-lift thingy by the Cypriots. (Yes, it took a strong neck for him, but also very strong abdominal muscles for her, as I can recall from my teenage days learning a hands-free platter lift. But just because it was difficult didn't make it look less tacky or make me wince any less. A former Canadian champion ice dancer told me that in one competition he picked his beautiful sister up in a swan-dive with a fast grab under her stomach. She'd unwisely been sipping carbonated water in the dressing room and in his words "she let out a belch like a truck driver". They spent the rest of their dramatic performance stifling splorts of giggles.) I see pairs now using dance elements as transitional moves -- twizzles, notably. I can see a time in the future when skating becomes like tennis, with men's and women's singles, and doubles for two skaters competing as a team.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hmmmm.

Well, with regard to Oona and Gage, maybe other GS posters projected great things. I loved them, I love them, they have the "it" factor (particularly Gage) that you can't teach. I thought they had a good chance to win Junior Worlds. Turns out they did. ;)

Never ever ever in my wildest dreams did I think they would even crack the US top five as seniors. Let alone GPs. And they didn't.
I, and most of their fans that I know (which certainly isn't all of them), have been fantasizing about a coaching switch for years now. I think Joel is a good person and a good coach, but ID is politicking and Oona and Gage need that push. And more polish.

Anyone who projects success for junior skaters in senior ranks ...hmmm again.

Don't know enough about the Czech team to project their success, but for me they do not have the "it" factor of Oona and Gage. Nothing to do with their results, everything to do with who I watch. :)
We are saying a lot of the same things. Not everyone fantasizes about instant success moves from junior dance to senior dance :) but it has happened last year with enough fans for me to notice. I am not making this up ;) It would be very interesting like the videos shown for singles about junior world champions becoming then senior world champions, to do a similar tally for dance... I would say it is even harder than in singles... :)

Quickly, when I have a glance.. many of the Soviet era skaters who won junior golds had some successes in seniors but with other partners... even representing other countries. Same with most teams actually from more recent years.

The only names of teams that I recognize... and of course, I may have forgotten a few who won both junior worlds and senior worlds are

Dominina-Shabalin and Virtue-Moir.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Final Flight
Country
Canada
ETA - in case this gets screenshoted (saw that practice few times already) and goes on Twitter among ID fandom there: hope you will have a good laugh from it (being also a laugh from yourselves :)).
Finally someone who 'gets' me, thank you.
Ice Dance Twitter is one the most toxic, biased, hypocritical places online I've ever saw. Mind you, I'm a ID fan/viewer/enjoyer (well, for some part...) and I can be petty/snarky on there regarding the discipline, BUT - the amount of judgemental prejudice and 'if we like them - it's judging fault, I we hate them - it's their fault' mentality I am seeing over there makes me shake my head. The other thing? Glorification of particular ID coaching places at the cost of condemning others (how many tweets I saw dreaming that Nadiia/Peter would change coaches...). I can write a book at this point about this.
The overall lack of some kind of maturity, sense of cattiness and 'privilege' of sorts (meaning 'stanning' the 'right' team/teams, in the perception of the auditorium of course) are overwhelming in that space. Seeing 'usual' people there posting stuff only convinced me in what I wrote above. The senior Worlds will be MUCH worse.
Never been interested in using Twitter. After reading this - nope, no thanks, definitely not. I'll stick with GS. Much nicer people, who can argue a point and remain respectful of others' opinions.:clap:
:cheer::hap10:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
i am picky with him on the names but then, he is a trooper... I am exhausted from watching all of this and i don't have to keep a smart and informative conversation, nor enthusiasm.. and i take mental breaks whenever :) (or fridge pauses) it's amazing how dedicated he is and how much stamina he has.
Kayyyyyoreeeee! LOL!