Best Hair and/or Costumes in Men | Golden Skate

Best Hair and/or Costumes in Men

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
We had costume thread for men before but with the talking about men's costumes and hair in multi-threads, it might be good to have a thread just for it again so everyone could talk about them more freely. Hope you have links of the photos for them when you talk about them. Thanks!

Jeffrey Buttle stands out for hair and costumes most of the time for me. I love these:

Jeffrey Buttle's 2006 Olympics LP and this hair is the best

Jeffrey Buttle's 2007-08 LP

Jeremy Abbott's 2010 Nationals LP

Jeremy Abbott's 2010-11 LP

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I like Jason Brown's FS costume this season, it's a unitard but I somehow still like it. Ricky's cowboy getup for his FS is also quite cute and flattering. Also like Josh Farris's Rach FS costume, it has just the right amount of sparkle. And actually, Dornbush and Farris both have good hair too. I find it a little :think: how they went from being so dorky/awkward looking a few years back to so cute/handsome now. I guess they took a page out if Neville Longbottom's book on how to do puberty right? :laugh: . In any event, I certainly think it's helped both develop quite the fan base already.

Also I usually don't like Chan's costumes but his FS costume for Aranjuez this season is quite nice and a flattering color/cut on him. It doesn't make him look particularly diminutive like some of his past costumes have.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry guys, but I will be BIASED for this one!

No one can win my heart over Daisuke!

I know some of you guys do not like sequins, feathers and fluttery organdy for men.
But that is simply a part of figure skating for me, which I fell in love as a little kid when I saw a tall, fragile-looking but so beautiful Russian skater with white puff-sleeves(!) standing on the ice on TV. He looked like 'a prince in a fairy tale' to me.

While Dai in real life is not tall at all, have no long arms or legs, and may not be as attractive as on the ice, he just stands out with his costumes, his cool hair style of course! and his black/dark brown eyes on the ice.
When the music starts and he starts expressing the music with his blades and his whole body, I can not take my eyes off him.

stevlin

On the Ice
I too love Jeffrey Buttle's hair and costumes. He always looks so clean and handsome. I also adore his skating style. So elegant.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I know some of you guys do not like sequins, feathers and fluttery organdy for men.
But that is simply a part of figure skating for me, which I fell in love as a little kid when I saw a tall, fragile-looking but so beautiful Russian skater with white puff-sleeves(!) standing on the ice on TV. He looked like 'a prince in a fairy tale' to me.

This expression made me think of Alexei Urmanov (Sorry, don't know why I can't link a better picture of him). I like him and this costume. It was very balletic and classical. That actually was the reason that I like puff sleeves, but not tight sleeves, on men.

While Dai in real life is not tall at all, have no long arms or legs, and may not be as attractive as on the ice, he just stands out with his costumes, his cool hair style of course! and his black/dark brown eyes on the ice.
When the music starts and he starts expressing the music with his blades and his whole body, I can not take my eyes off him.

You mean this one, and this one?:)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Dai's look is striking but rather similar - kind of ballet goes punk rock. After a while a little tiring and that hair is bound to break down from all that "guck" in it. I think we get it Dai wild hair and you are an artist intune with your inner being that you are trying to extrapolate for the world to see. LOL. Interesting there are over the top feathers ie. Urmanov and there is the toned down Vera Wang feathers ala Evan. It's all a matter of choice I guess.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Who is his costume designer?

When Dai worked with Morozov from 2005 to 2008, Morozov chose the designer who is famous and based in New York, I heard. Same designer as Miki's, I guess?

After their split in spring 2008, Dai started working with a Japanese female designer based in Tokyo, named Ms Fujita who is also a big fan of Dai's skating.
Out of his costumes during the collaboration with this lady for 3 seasons, I like La Strada one at Voncouver and the one for his exhibition number (very Japanese and authntic!) the best.

He changed his designer this season.
Sorry, I do not know with whom he works now, but we can clearly see the difference in his taste in costumes, can't we?
I really love the 'toned-down' Dai, including his hair style this year. He looks more matured.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Sorry guys, but I will be BIASED for this one!

No one can win my heart over Daisuke!

Oh I so totally agree,you said it all !!!

spikydurian

Medalist
I like Dai but I too think his past costumes are a wee bit too much glitter for me. His 4CC costumes are great or it's just me who always prefer simplicity and elegance over flamboyance. Jeffrey Buttle's costumes are seldom loud just my taste. Somehow ... don't really like spandex. Particularly for men. It tends to accentuates bulkiness. Love Michelle's Vera Wangs. I know some of you think it's more fashion statement. Perhaps so ... something which can be worn outside the skating rink.
Hair??? Kevin's hair is unique! ;) Evan's hair ... very 1950's like .. reminds me of my dad. :biggrin:

deedee1

Record Breaker
This expression made me think of Alexei Urmanov (Sorry, don't know why I can't link a better picture of him). I like him and this costume. It was very balletic and classical. That actually was the reason that I like puff sleeves, but not tight sleeves, on men.

You mean this one, and this one?:)

Yes, Urmy! Of course, he has been on my 'prince-like' skaters list!

As for Dai's pictures you pasted, I have a small complain on the second one; Why THIS ONE???
There must be so many picutures of Dai; much better than this one, you could choose from...(cry)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hair - Kevin??? Are we talking Van Der Perrin - his looks great on him. Or are you talking perhaps Canada's Kevin Reynolds? It might be a nice style but not on him - it looks awkward, a mess and not particularly "aesthetically pleasing" though structurally interesting. Mind you this isn't a hairstylist contest. Some people thinks Reynolds hair looks like Pippy Longstocking gone badder - imagine sticking your hair in a blender and hoping for the best lol. I know mean but it isn't a particular great skating cut or adds to his person or performances.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
As for Dai's pictures you pasted, I have a small complain on the second one; Why THIS ONE???
There must be so many picutures of Dai; much better than this one, you could choose from...(cry)

Sorry, a little unfair to Dai! But I couldn't pass this one because his hair looked funny when he moves. Disregard it.:biggrin: How about this one and this one?:)

spikydurian

Medalist

and this one?:)

:laugh: Dai's hair looks like 'it's been 'electrified'! Good one Bluebonnet.
Alexei's costume is nice but puffy and frilly top may look good only on tall thin men. Imagine Elvis wearing it? :biggrin:

spikydurian

Medalist
Hair - Kevin??? Are we talking Van Der Perrin - his looks great on him. Or are you talking perhaps Canada's Kevin Reynolds? It might be a nice style but not on him - it looks awkward, a mess and not particularly "aesthetically pleasing" though structurally interesting. Mind you this isn't a hairstylist contest. Some people thinks Reynolds hair looks like Pippy Longstocking gone badder - imagine sticking your hair in a blender and hoping for the best lol. I know mean but it isn't a particular great skating cut or adds to his person or performances.

That's unkind, Skater Boy :disapp:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry, a little unfair to Dai! But I couldn't pass this one because his hair looked funny when he moves. Disregard it.:biggrin: How about this one and this one?:)

hmmm...(cry again)...;

Alright alright, before you make me cry for the third time, I declare myself I like 'Chon-mage Daisuke' best. +_+;

I can not find his pic with sammurai's topknot from last season, and not many people here know what pic I am talking about.
But seeing how and from where you could successfully pick up such awful pics (to me at least), I suppose you can find a proper one from somewhere for me...( p_- )

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:laugh: Dai's hair looks like 'it's been 'electrified'! Good one Bluebonnet.
Alexei's costume is nice but puffy and frilly top may look good only on tall thin men. Imagine Elvis wearing it? :biggrin:

I can imagine Elvis wearing - Stoijko not Presley - if he ripped off the arms perhaps LOL!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
hmmm...(cry again)...;

Alright alright, before you make me cry for the third time, I declare myself I like 'Chon-mage Daisuke' best. +_+;

I can not find his pic with sammurai's topknot from last season, and not many people here know what pic I am talking about.
But seeing how and from where you could successfully pick up such awful pics (to me at least), I suppose you can find a proper one from somewhere for me...( p_- )

Please don't cry. I didn't mean to make you cry. I don't know his sammurai's topknot hair, but here are several pictures showed his handsomeness. I mean it in a positive way:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/...ng/DaisukeTakahashi/61Dy0vWQbtL_AA1000_-1.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/3308znp.jpg

http://www.eurasia-sports.net/_src/sc3611/09-nhk-ex030.jpg

By the way, what is "Chon-mage Daisuke"?

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist