Can Yuna score over 74 points in the short program? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Can Yuna score over 74 points in the short program?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not an uber of either Asada or YuNa. When I say Mao double-foots her 3A it is because her 3As have been shown close up and in slo motion every competition this season and clearly both feet have been touching the ice when she lands the jump. When I see other skaters landing jumps in much the same fashion, they are receiving < for the jump.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I am not an uber of either Asada or YuNa. When I say Mao double-foots her 3A it is because her 3As have been shown close up and in slo motion every competition this season and clearly both feet have been touching the ice when she lands the jump. When I see other skaters landing jumps in much the same fashion, they are receiving < for the jump.

Mao has double footed all her 3As this season other than the one she fell on, but all of the ones she double footed other than the one in the NHK SP looked rotated to me. Ashley didn't receive a < for it, neither did Elizaveta. Sometimes double footing indicates the possibility that they under-rotated the jump but it's not a sure thing.

Icey

Record Breaker
How discouraging if all that has been said about judging here has any truth. The sport becomes rather meaningless in that light.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Ironically, Yuna's thread like this kind, often filled with Mao uber's comments (claimed or not, bashing Yuna in all sorts of shades). Yuna's fan has already learned to keep calm. Occasionally, will pop up to defend Yuna a bit...

You're delusional if you think *all* fans of either skaters have "learned to keep calm."

Yeah, no.

If Julia can get 72 for a clean short, than Kim definitely deserves 75+ for her best SP performance. Her lutz and 3-3 are overscored? Pretty hard to see, when she does those jumps the way she normally does she deserves a +3 on them, and it makes perfect sense alot of judges give that.

Pretty much this. Judges seem to score everyone higher this year, so it wouldn't be a surprise at all if Yuna manages a 74+ if she skates the way she did at 2013 Worlds--which I thought was was underscored by about two or three points (no more than that).

Peach

Rinkside
Oh dear... I'm sorry for starting this thread! Lol I didn't know that it was going to turn into a fan war

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Oh dear... I'm sorry for starting this thread! Lol I didn't know that it was going to turn into a fan war

There is zero need for an apology. This kind of thing always happens anyway, even if the skaters in question aren't the main topic of the thread. Gotta just go with the floooow~

miki88

Medalist
I find it really funny that Mao is accused of being pampered, while Yuna is not? Kudos to all of her achievements but I find it really hard to believe that someone who is arguably one of the biggest celebrities in a country and a multimillionaire is not pampered to some extent.

cosmos

On the Ice
I find it really funny that Mao is accused of being pampered, while Yuna is not? Kudos to all of her achievements but I find it really hard to believe that someone who is arguably one of the biggest celebrities in a country and a multimillionaire is not pampered to some extent.

KSU is not able to pamper her.

Franklin99

Medalist
KSU is not able to pamper her.

Yuna's has been treated like a queen in her country since 2009, I don't think it would matter if KSU is able to pamper her or not. Heck, everyone else there already does.

In Korea, she has brought life to a sport that was dead there prior to her success. Do you really not think they would pamper her?

MiRé

Match Penalty
Yuna's has been treated like a queen in her country since 2009, I don't think it would matter if KSU is able to pamper her or not. Heck, everyone else there already does.

In Korea, she has brought life to a sport that was dead there prior to her success. Do you really not think they would pamper her?

Actually she has,
I don't know if you're familiar with it or not but, Yuna has been trying to, ever since she began to take on her career as a skater, build a skating rink dedicated to figure skaters. However, KSU and the government just would not allow her to build a rink, even though she said she'll practically pay for the building. Yuna's training area, Taerung, where other skaters like Kim jin Seo, Hae jin, and etc are practicing, is really old, and not really a great place to train in. They don't have a heated rink arena; therefore, they practice IN the coldin the winter. In the summer, because they have such a bad air system, the hot radiation above the arena's roof combine with the cool air inside the arena, causes water to drop from the ceiling. And yet KSU wants Yuna to bring Gold medals. Pretty pathetic knowing Yuna brought Gold medal to a country where Figure skating is pretty much no where to be seen, but refuses to build an arena that could potentially create figure skaters for Korea.

hurrah

Medalist
I would have thought that a certain automobile company in Korea helps KSF pamper Yuna? And I have a feeling the Korean judge on the Olympic panel will not be opposed to pampering Yuna either. As long as we're talking about pampering.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Actually she has,
I don't know if you're familiar with it or not but, Yuna has been trying to, ever since she began to take on her career as a skater, build a skating rink dedicated to figure skaters. However, KSU and the government just would not allow her to build a rink, even though she said she'll practically pay for the building. Yuna's training area, Taerung, where other skaters like Kim jin Seo, Hae jin, and etc are practicing, is really old, and not really a great place to train in. They don't have a heated rink arena; therefore, they practice IN the coldin the winter. In the summer, because they have such a bad air system, the hot radiation above the arena's roof combine with the cool air inside the arena, causes water to drop from the ceiling. And yet KSU wants Yuna to bring Gold medals. Pretty pathetic knowing Yuna brought Gold medal to a country where Figure skating is pretty much no where to be seen, but refuses to build an arena that could potentially create figure skaters for Korea.
Interesting. Has KSU given any reasoning behind this, or are they just truly incompetent and dumb?

Franklin99

Medalist
Actually she has,

While I can understand KSU not wanting to put their money on the hopes of future talent without any guarantee (outside of Kim, who's retiring after the 2014 Olympics, there has been no stand outs FS in Korea), but since the next winter Olympics will be held in Korea, it's pretty dumb of KSU to not invest in building better ice rinks for up and coming skaters, because 4 years is enough time to improve on new talents to represent their country in 2018. I bet all of their investments, time, and money is being put in speed skating, where there's more than one medal hopeful.

Unfortunately, for Yuna's request of building a new rink to be approved, there will have to be at least 2-3 more up and coming figure skaters who has a good chance to medal in the future. But since, she's the only one, and she's one her way out (retiring) I don't see any new changes/building of Ice Rinks for FS. She may have the money to help pay for the building, but not to maintain it for years and years. Once she retires, the endorsement money will eventually dry up, and then who will maintain the building?

I don't see how this can be true. If Yuna wants to build a skating rink, or a movie theater, or a hot rod race track, who is stopping her?

Kirk

Rinkside
I don't see how this can be true. If Yuna wants to build a skating rink, or a movie theater, or a hot rod race track, who is stopping her?
Bureaucratic nonsense. Yuna's latest attempt to build a figureskating-only rink ended up Seoul city dropping the proposition(not economically efficient, blah blah) and deciding to use that very lot to build a big parking space.

The only reason Yuna chose her now-graduated-from college was because they had a rink that also could be used for figure skating. But it turned out, they really did not let Yuna use that rink at all, since they had active, prominent hockey team to train there.

Yuna is treated like a Queen alright, but for KSU or other officials, that doesn' extend to university offering her a private rink, which is one of many luxuries Mao is treated with in Japan, just giving a second look about what she intends to do for the future of the sport at all.

Maybe YuNa's money would be better spent setting up a scholarship fund for promising young skaters to train in Canada or the U.S. (I'm almost tempted to say "to train in Japan," which is geographically closer, but one can just imagine the irony of that situation.) If Korea is too shortsighted to develop future skaters, then one has to figure out a way to sidestep the bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, the reality is that without decent facilities, there is far less likelihood for other good Korean skaters to develop in the future. It seems to me that Korea is being penny-wise but pound-foolish with its reluctance to spend money cultivating its future athletes.

bebevia

On the Ice
While still unfortunate, the cancellation of the rink in Seoul was the least of nonsense compared to others; at least the new mayor had a reason, which was to patch up the budgeting messes put out by the former (resigned) mayor who only used her to make the front page. If you wanna dig into a list of abuse by small-time public officials on her, you won't believe it: false promises, bashing for attention, holding younger skaters hostage to demand appearances; that's why her spontaneous contributions are so amazing, and that's part of reason she's busy with non-competitive affairs - and even money, to finance her goals. She never made a complaint, because she doesn't care too much about her reputation, and she recognizes any hostility with possible sponsors would hold back the long-term fundings. I don't like certain ubers (not here, but outside forums) lurking, but I usually choose to ignore because they are also keen on letting these things known to public and actually try to improve the sport in Korea.

Right now, KSU is occupied with appointments that want the salary and honourary titles without actually working for it; certain younger bureaus communicating with her are powerless, but they try to make the best of the environment. The pampering of KSU is ridiculous because, they are incompetent and lazy (proven), and wouldn't mind crushing her if that suited their greed; some skaters had to have fans fight their way to even get them to make a lazy 5-minute phone call to register them to competitions. Those are a long, different story. I actually was upset when some Korean-American skaters immigrated back to Korea to skate for the mother nation, and secretly hoped Yuna would just immigrate to Russia, Canada, or even Japan if she had a better chance; I really don't care which country she represents.

I admire JSU for standing up for their athletes. Things may not be best for individuals, and sometimes disputable, but at least it's clear that they mean well for their sport. Lobbying is actually federations' job, and Japan is known for meticulous execution of PR and commitment.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Despite all those obstacles, Yuna wins every one's heart and respect -- her loving fans, skating peers, youngsters and seniors, media commentators, ISU judges... by the sheer beauty of her skating!

Eclair

Medalist
Maybe YuNa's money would be better spent setting up a scholarship fund for promising young skaters to train in Canada or the U.S. (I'm almost tempted to say "to train in Japan," which is geographically closer, but one can just imagine the irony of that situation.) If Korea is too shortsighted to develop future skaters, then one has to figure out a way to sidestep the bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, the reality is that without decent facilities, there is far less likelihood for other good Korean skaters to develop in the future. It seems to me that Korea is being penny-wise but pound-foolish with its reluctance to spend money cultivating its future athletes.

She already does fund for promising young skaters, like Kim Haejin, Park So Youn etc. I think she wants to build the sport in Korea, establishing it there with Korean coaches. Therefore it wouldn't make any sense (for the sport) to let the other Korean skaters train abroad.
But what she does is trying to improve the training conditions and giving them the opportunity to skate at the upcoming Olympics with good programms by a well-known choreographer (Wilson, who else^^) decent costumes and her advise anytime they need it.
In an interview one of the skaters she trains with (Kim jin Seo) said that whenever he has any questions he just asks yuna :)
Also I do believe Korea has some good coaches - I mean, they were able to teach Yuna her jumps. So the young skaters do have a decent chance to be properly trained if it weren't for the bad ice conditions and stuff.

In addition, when young yuna did miss home when training abroad. She (like many other skaters) truely understands what it means to take all this hardships at a very young age while being seperated from her sister and father.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
There's not a lot of arable land in South Korea so the construction of new facilities requires going through a lot of red tape and zoning laws (and bribing the right people). It's similar to how a lot of skating rinks were closing down in Japan until Shizuka Arakawa campaigned to protect skating rinks.