Eurovision 2023 | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Eurovision 2023

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not at all! It takes a bit of mental adjustment to 'get' a way to enjoy pure cheese and ham, which is what Eurovision is to me (with sequins and glitter and omg-they-are-doing-that-on-tv???? thrown on top)

I hadn't heard about Canada trying the concept, I am having trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of any other continent trying it...
10 provinces, 3 territories.. all wildly different from one another... could work but they better get a very cool host like Dan Levy or it may fail

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
10 provinces, 3 territories.. all wildly different from one another... could work but they better get a very cool host like Dan Levy or it may fail
I think it depends on whether the producers understand what it is that makes Eurovision, and how to enmesh the best (looniest?) of that with Canadian tastes and ideas. I've seen a lot of film/TV from one country be adapted by another and fail totally because this wasn't understood, but also quite a number succeed wildly when it was. Hope it goes well! (I am all for anything that increases the amount of happy looniness in the world, and at least if it's one country the politics won't be as impossible)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it depends on whether the producers understand what it is that makes Eurovision, and how to enmesh the best (looniest?) of that with Canadian tastes and ideas. I've seen a lot of film/TV from one country be adapted by another and fail totally because this wasn't understood, but also quite a number succeed wildly when it was. Hope it goes well! (I am all for anything that increases the amount of happy looniness in the world, and at least if it's one country the politics won't be as impossible)
the politics in Canada for an inter-province competition would be huge hehe :)

yesterday

Record Breaker
(shortened for getting to the point)
I have never watched it... so I am not there yet... i was just surprised they could import talent... but not only that LOL... that the imported talent was so...erm... limited... So yeah... while looking Eurovision up... I found out they plan to import the whole concept in 2023... well that's this year... to Canada... so will it be Eurovision Canada or Canadavision? meh... not ganna watch:) glad you do enjoy the nonsense. I guess I am too boring to enjoy all that fun stuff. :laugh2:
They had one of those electric selfplaying pianos 🤣

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Did you know that Barbara Dex Award (also known as the award for the worst costume)has been officially cancelled since 2022?
I just found out.
I don't even know what to think.
They replaced it with the newly founded You Are A Vision Award for the most memorable outfit and everybody can vote but the previous appeal is somehow missing.

Last edited:
Country
Norway

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I really hope Keiino considers returning next year. It would be such a great return if they came back and performed in Sweden with another banger.

I´m still not over the fact that we didn´t send them back with Monument in 2021, and sent Tix instead. Monument IMO was even better than Spirit in the sky. I don´t think they are done with Eurovision just yet. They surprised Alessandra in Liverpool covering her song :)

The song in the post is one of the newest songs and it´s actually Norwegian (with a small part in English and Samí). Interesting elements of folk music in this song, and I would love if they would return with something like this and included Norwegian lyrics as well.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Maybe a bit off-topic
I wouldn't say that. It's part of the post-competition menu, the previous competitors coming up with new songs and covers.

Another item in the above menu consists of scoreboard breakdowns and analysis (I like best how the results are displayed here). Had to find out that Latvia sits in 11th place second year in a row just one point short from qualification... You know, this is getting a bit annoying. However, @yesterday you might need to redo that meme. I finally realized (and checked twice) that rules have really changed this year and televote only decided qualifiers from semi-finals. So there should probably stand just "Europe" instead of "Eurovision jury". Even more so because in the Rest of the World ranking Latvia was #3 right after Finland and Israel but higher than Sweden who was #4. I'm positively shocked. Thank you for voting, the World!

Country
Norway
I just had a crazy thought.

When Sweden will host Eurovision next year, it will be 50th years anniversary of Abba winning Eurovision with Waterloo.

How epic would it be if Abba finally surprised us all with finally going on stage together again - with a brand new song, not just that - but actually be representing Sweden in Eurovision next year? :biggrin:

Ok, I know it most likely will not happen.... but it would have been epic. I´m curious though if the hosts will be able to make Abba return together on stage and actually perform. I mean 50th years anniversary in Sweden... My guess - will they do the virtual - Voyage concept and the members only appear with curtain calls and interviews, or will they grant us maybe 15 seconds of a Waterloo?

Also, the breaks will be epic - I´m guessing we will see big artists as Zara Larsson, Måns Zelmerlöw and of course Loreen - any chance of Europe appearing on stage singing the final countdown before the votes close? :biggrin:

yesterday

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that. It's part of the post-competition menu, the previous competitors coming up with new songs and covers.

Another item in the above menu consists of scoreboard breakdowns and analysis (I like best how the results are displayed here). Had to find out that Latvia sits in 11th place second year in a row just one point short from qualification... You know, this is getting a bit annoying. However, @yesterday you might need to redo that meme. I finally realized (and checked twice) that rules have really changed this year and televote only decided qualifiers from semi-finals. So there should probably stand just "Europe" instead of "Eurovision jury". Even more so because in the Rest of the World ranking Latvia was #3 right after Finland and Israel but higher than Sweden who was #4. I'm positively shocked. Thank you for voting, the World!
😅 ah didn't think about that

no problem :biggrin:

7m5uku.jpg

Country
Norway
I totally forgot that last time Sweden hosted Eurovision they got Justin Timberlake to perform :jaw:

Any chance they got hold on Harry Styles or Taylor Swift next year? :LOL:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Thank god the rest of the world doesn't decide the result because honestly it has a terrible taste. :p Israel first? Naah!
And anyone who gave Spain any points is at the bottom of my music style list...