Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1456 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Rexarcadia

On the Ice
I understand the concern that training with Rika will push Zhenya to unhealthy limits. But I think Zhenya is far too focused on her health to risk doing anything reckless. She's emphasized in interviews that her wellbeing is her top priority, and I trust she would never rush something she's not ready for. She loves the sport so much and has repeatedly said she'll stay in it as long as her body allows.

Bottom line: Zhenya is smarter and stronger than we give her credit for, and she will correctly decide what's best for her.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well, I still think that we don‘t know yet. Of course, if you have the chance to get two Olympic medalists (champions?) in two different categories, you take it. But where does that leave Zhenya...?

I do believe that this could work if Zhenya agreed and Brian and Tracy have thought this through. But it will be difficult and I’m not sure it had to be this way. Still, we should wait and see.

Oh, that picture. Thanks for the proof. I‘m glad if Zhenya‘s training but honestly, that seems pretty stalker-ish again, especially since it‘s so blurry and taken from far away. Idk, it creeps me out, even more after we‘ve had the whole Zhenya - Japan debacle before and how people literally stalked her inside her hotel etc.

Well, Zhenya is an exceptionally strong woman for sure. But she‘s not superhuman. Things have rattled her in the past and they will in the future. Imagine her not making the Games and Brian and Tracy being there with Rika, Katia, Jason, Jun and Yuzu. I mean, I get depressed thinking about it, how is Zhenya going to feel? I don‘t want to imagine it, to be perfectly honest.

Before the pandemic, I would have laughed about this, like I have before. Zhenya‘s a major figure in this sport, she would have done very well without a doubt. But now we‘re in a rather peculiar situation in that there‘s virtually no way of income since shows have been canceled and are unlikely to happen all that soon. (of course Zhenya isn’t the only one being affected but with this being her fanfest...) It‘s not our business to speculate, really, but as usually, I worry. I just hope they have formed a solid plan by now.

Dual citizenship, or any change of country, really, is not going to happen. If she wanted to do it, she would have done it after the OG when she had to sit out the Worlds due to injury anyway. Now it‘s too late. She’s too big of a star, Russia wouldn‘t release her and besides, they‘ve even made restrictions harder so that athletes can‘t change countries as easily. (They have to wait two years instead of one, which makes this whole discussion obsolete) Nevermind a superstar like Zhenya. She won‘t skate for Armenia; she won‘t skate for Canada. If she somehow makes the Olympic team, it will be for Russia. It‘s the only way. I personally wish it was different but... :shrug:

It’s true she is only human and watching her TCC teammates in the next Olympic games or even the next world championships and she won’t be there its going to sting. Zhenya has achieved a lot in her career so maybe it won’t be as bad as we think it might be if she’s not in the next Olympics and a lot of her team is.

I would hope Zhenya would be set up for decades financially with what she’s done in figure skating. Conversely why pay your coach such a large sum of money every year if you’re not gonna be the number one lady in his team? But she still could be the number one lady if Rika is only a part timer in Toronto.

Probably no chance to change countries but I don’t think people in Russia would be mad at her If she skated for Armenia like they would be if she skatef for Canada.

Maia96

On the Ice
It’s true she is only human and watching her TCC teammates in the next Olympic games or even the next world championships and she won’t be there its going to sting. Zhenya has achieved a lot in her career so maybe it won’t be as bad as we think it might be if she’s not in the next Olympics and a lot of her team is.

I would hope Zhenya would be set up for decades financially with what she’s done in figure skating. Conversely why pay your coach such a large sum of money every year if you’re not gonna be the number one lady in his team? But she still could be the number one lady if Rika is only a part timer in Toronto.

Probably no chance to change countries but I don’t think people in Russia would be mad at her If she skated for Armenia like they would be if she skatef for Canada.

She doesn't have time to change the nationality and I don't think she did either.

Although, after seeing Russia's new two-year restrictions on changing nationality just two years before the Olympics, I was wondering who asked for a change of nationality. It was probably a woman, the ladies field is absolutely saturated and it's a big problem for athletes.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She doesn't have time to change the nationality and I don't think she did either.

Although, after seeing Russia's new two-year restrictions on changing nationality just two years before the Olympics, I was wondering who asked for a change of nationality. It was probably a woman, the ladies field is absolutely saturated and it's a big problem for athletes.
They said they’ve been losing too many transfers.
But with so many girls buried in Russia in ladies figure skating I would like some of them go and not make them wait two years.

I guess it’s too late for Zhenya to change
or get dual citizenship.

I have a feeling she has already decided to quit Brian. It makes no sense that she has been in Japan all this time. Travel restrictions have been lifted and things have opened back up in Toronto.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a feeling she has already decided to quit Brian. It makes no sense that she has been in Japan all this time. Travel restrictions have been lifted and things have opened back up in Toronto.

Only change in travel restrictions is a very minor one that doesn't apply to most of the the non-Canadian skaters: US citizens/residents who have close relatives in Canada are allowed to come to Canada, subject to 14-day self-isolation. Otherwise, no travel restriction changes have been announced by Canada.

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Also, although most of Ontario is moving to level 2, Toronto/Niagara are remaining at level one. The Cricket Club is still temporarily closed and all member activities are taking place on-line. No one is skating.

jhcorb01

Rinkside
I think folks are quite silly if they think Brian didn't discuss this with Evgenia; after that fiasco with Yuna and Mao, and Yuna leaving, there's no way he wouldn't ask for her input and if she felt comfortable.

Unfortunately, I do think she probably sees the writing on the wall though, and unless something changes with the number of ladies allowed for competitions....

I think she knows where she is headed, and staying in Toronto and skating a few more seasons gives her access to lots of famous people in skating, and helps build her experience for when she wants to start coaching, choreographing, and just stepping into the a non competitive skating world. And I can't wait for the new programs.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? So even if you are a permanent resident you can’t go back? I thought Canada loved non citizens

This mischaracterizes what NanaPat said, I think (and those of us anxious to see our favorite skaters back at TCC have been grateful for her updates:clap:)

Zhenya is not a permanent resident of Canada, so whatever the rules about permanent residents are, they do not apply to her. Probably she is on some sort of work visa, like all the other skaters who train in Canada. And as far as I can tell Canada loves all people :) Canada does not love COVID-19.

Jumping off into the general convo, even I could see how much better Zhenya and Brian got along this year. Brian would not do anything to upset Zhenya. Far from being an insult, I see this is a testament to Zhenya, bringing more “star” ladies skaters back to TCC:hap10:

Last edited:

Maia96

On the Ice
This Rika thing is a slap in the face. Very weak move on Brian’s part. Really shows his confidence in Zhenya to make it. He just wants his own glory.

I remember when he accepted Zhenya two years ago, he said that it was a very big challenge for his team but he wanted to take the risk. And, aside from how happy he was and the things he said, he said he would make her a star. To begin he didn't understand that Zhenya was already a star.

A few days ago I read an interview with Raf in which he explained very well the Russian system and why he wouldn't accept to train a Russian athlete. After all his explanation, the journalist asks him: "So Orser is doing a feat with Medvedeva?" And he responds: "Her feat is having agreed to train her." Today I find the perfect meaning for Raf's words.

If you accept an athlete of the level of Zhenya, who came to you being almost an Olympic champion and you say that it's a very big challenge for you but you want to take the risk then run it to the end. Don't abandon your student in front of the best opportunity that comes your way. Of course Zhenya knows that it's very difficult to get to Beijing but I don't think she has already given up halfway. She herself knows that any unforeseen can happen, she herself almost missed going to Pyongyang due to injury. Everything is uncertain and there is still a long time.

But it's clear that his personal ambition can more. He was presented with the possibility of glory and ran behind. Russia won't help him to give the glory in the ladies fields. Instead Japan must pay him very well for his work with Rika and they'll make him a great publicity. And let's be honest, he don't even have to work hard. He'll only be to polish her a little and sit down to collect his glory.

But will have to see if he achieves the OGM in Beijing with her because it's clear that Russia not only wants the OGM, but the entire female podium. Just as the USA will fight for the men's OGM. Sometimes big ambitions don't lead to a good place. Although, if it isn't the OGM in Beijing there are other competitions where he can collect his glory.

I just hope that from now he'll be discreet about Zhenya. I didn't want to read statements in the style of Javier and Yuzuru when he took Javier to another ice rink because he saw some rivalry between them and it wasn't good (by the way it's interesting that Javier was taken to an alternative ice rink being that he had come to his group before and Yuzuru stayed on the central TCC ice rink. Not bad but it reminded me of that other ice rink where ET trains her non-top-hight level students.) Zhenya doesn't need this and he knows it. She's in a very delicate situation in her country and in the media and any statement can be used against her. Russia won't help Zhenya if she has problems. On the contrary, they'll set her as an example in front of other athletes so they can see what happens when they leave Russia.

Zhenya was already slandered by national TV by her former coach unfairly. She doesn't deserve to go through something similar. Not counting the psychological damage that can be caused to a person who twice trusted and was betrayed. And I'm not just talking about sports. That definitely marks your life forever.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
whole post

I think this situation could turn out positively for Zhenya. The way I see it, she spent 2 years at TCC without internal competition and this was good for her because it allowed her to improve her skills and heal her injuries at her own pace.

But now, the Olympics - her ultimate goal - is approaching fast. She has to think about how to achieve the seemingly impossible task - getting in the Top 3 in Russia again.

I think a healthy competition with Rika at TCC could help her. Rika has a similar set of skills to the top Russian girls but she's from a different country so the competition is not that cut-throat. Zhenya could "use" Rika to practice on - how NOT to be intimidated by a stronger jumper but gain inspiration from her. Because if she is afraid of Rika's presence how will she be able to go after the other Russian girls? I know, easier said than done.

I don't think Brian betrayed her or gave up on her. Yes, he probably thinks about himself, too, by accepting a relatively easy to work with and already pretty polished skater. But I'm sure she's thinking about Zhenya's interests as well and he will find a way - based on his past experiences - to manage this high-profile internal rivalry adequately, where both skaters could benefit from it.

Maybe you find this harsh, but I think this is the reality. Zhenya has to fight like she has never done before to stay in the conversation. And if she is in her own safe bubble at TCC she could get a slap in the face at the actual competitions.

Ballade88

On the Ice
Orser has changed quite a bit since the days when he pleaded loyalty to Kim due to mere rumors that he might coach a rival skater from another country. I guess I don't blame him for wanting to take control and not be influenced by any skater in his management decisions. I know he did ask Javier about coaching Hanyu but I don't think he asked Hanyu when he considered taking on Boyang Jin. And Hanyu is his star student. I doubt he really factored in Evgenia's opinions in this matter. Rika isn't a rival for a spot on the national team but she is a rival for OGM, which is what Evgenia really wants no? I mean it is the one thing she lacks and she joined TCC because she believed it would give her the best chance to reach her goal. The Javi and Hanyu situation is different from Evgenia's because neither of them were world champions or olympic medalists at the time. As I mentioned in another thread, this would have been drastically different if Hanyu was training with Patrick Chan or Nathan Chen. Sure, competition can be good and it has worked like in ice dance recently. But it can also be very stressful and depending on the skater, it might backfire. Yagudin and Plushenko did not work in the long term. I dunno. I think it might be best for her to start searching for another coach. She deserves to have a coach who can dedicate full time to her training.

Fluture

Record Breaker
It‘s too late, she can’t look for a new coach now. There‘s a certain time frame in Russian figure skating and she missed it. She would have to change coaches next season which is right before the Olympics. That is always a huge gamble and even more of a risk. She‘ll stay with Orser, for better or worse.

I have no idea what‘s going to happen but all we can do is hope and try to have faith in Zhenya.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Orser has changed quite a bit since the days when he pleaded loyalty to Kim due to mere rumors that he might coach a rival skater from another country. I guess I don't blame him for wanting to take control and not be influenced by any skater in his management decisions. I know he did ask Javier about coaching Hanyu but I don't think he asked Hanyu when he considered taking on Boyang Jin. And Hanyu is his star student. I doubt he really factored in Evgenia's opinions in this matter. Rika isn't a rival for a spot on the national team but she is a rival for OGM, which is what Evgenia really wants no? I mean it is the one thing she lacks and she joined TCC because she believed it would give her the best chance to reach her goal. The Javi and Hanyu situation is different from Evgenia's because neither of them were world champions or olympic medalists at the time. As I mentioned in another thread, this would have been drastically different if Hanyu was training with Patrick Chan or Nathan Chen. Sure, competition can be good and it has worked like in ice dance recently. But it can also be very stressful and depending on the skater, it might backfire. Yagudin and Plushenko did not work in the long term. I dunno. I think it might be best for her to start searching for another coach. She deserves to have a coach who can dedicate full time to her training.

Well yes, I’m sure Zhenya’s goal is still the OGM. But there’s not much to think about if she can’t even make the team. And I think Rika’s presence might help her with that.
If she gets on the Russian team, it means she has already done something incredibly difficult, especially ”at her age”, which will equip her to take on her international rivals. And first and foremost, she needs a big jump and the most realistic option is a quad Salchow. Rika trains that jump so it might motivate Zhenya, too.
I don’t think she would be in a better situation with no rival at all at TCC. But of course, this is just my opinion.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I don't think that Brian taking on Rika means that he will give less attention to Zhenya or that he cares less about her than say a couple of months ago. I agree that it could even be beneficiary for her since she'll have some sort of competition at the rink but not as stressful as it would be with someone from her country. She had two years to fully focus on herself, now it's time to make some progress that brings her closer to Beijing. (Of course she already made progress but we all know it's very likely she'll need a quad to have a chance of making the team.) I believe in Zhenya. :pray:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think that Brian taking on Rika means that he will give less attention to Zhenya or that he cares less about her than say a couple of months ago. I agree that it could even be beneficiary for her since she'll have some sort of competition at the rink but not as stressful as it would be with someone from her country. She had two years to fully focus on herself, now it's time to make some progress that brings her closer to Beijing. (Of course she already made progress but we all know it's very likely she'll need a quad to have a chance of making the team.) I believe in Zhenya. :pray:

Funny Avatar. Young Evgenia, young Liza? Who else?