Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45)

taikwan

On the Ice
I too feel badly for Taniith and Ben but they really picked poor programs/music and costumes. Three strikes.

Enero

On the Ice
Thanks for the links!
I doubt any of these free dances will come close to the greatness of K/P, G/G and T/D. These teams are good, but IMO none of these programs are blow me away memorable.

That said, after watching the videos (I hadn't seen everyone's FD for this year), I think if everyone skates their best this is what I think:

How I'd rank them:
1. Voir - They actually look like they're dancing more than anyone else and the choregraphy is IMO head and shoulders above everyone else.
2. Merlie - I hate POTO music, but they work it well. The program is well choregraphed and polished, but I don't think it comes close to Voir.
3. Belgosto - This isn't one of their best programs, but it's definitely better than DomsShabs and Massi.
4. Massi or DomShabs - IMO neither of these programs were memorable. So I'd rank them about even.

How it will likely go:

1. Voir
2. Merlie
3. DomShab

I tell you one thing, the judges are going to be either crying or asleep by the time the last dance team finish. LOL. Everyone's skating to such dark, depressing, dark and/or slow music. Belgosto, Merlie, and Dom mix it up briefly, but then its right back to the dark stuff. Too bad none of the final 5 have a fiery number planned.

Last edited:

L'amour

On the Ice
I feel bad for Tanitha dn ben, but i think tehy don't acre anymore, they just want to skate a godo FD and move on. they have been so trashad over the year. peopel say that they were bad skatrs, now they are better so peopel start to talka bout bad programs and hey shoul go back to Igor and Marina.

I just hope they skate a great FD, have personal best and feel free of this huge competion stress and critisism.

I want V/M win the gold medal, Coliseum will be a mess, and theiir FD its way better than D/W, a bit more creative and tessa just ahev a bestifull posture and sensibility to the music.
I really don't like D/W skating, they jave difficult suff in their programs, but still...i don't know. It is just me?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't follow ice dancing as closely as I do the other disciplines, so could someone tell me why they think B/A are no longer the top American team? What are they doing or not doing anymore? Thanks.........42

ARipp42014

Medalist
Was watching US with Terry, Kristi, Peter, and special guest Paul Wylie and they just showed Voir's OD from last nite and everyone was speechless in a good way. Peter (who was there last nite) said that was the best he have seen in any of the disciplines so far. He even stated that Robin Cousins said to him that they are a combo of Torvill & Dean and G/G.

If they are that speechless about the OD, just wait for the FD!

oxade21

Match Penalty
I don't follow ice dancing as closely as I do the other disciplines, so could someone tell me why they think B/A are no longer the top American team? What are they doing or not doing anymore? Thanks.........42

It's called Ice Dance. There is no logic in this discipline, only politicking. The only reason D/W are doing so well because that's what US federation wants and they also have more capable in back-door dealing coaches.
D/W is the most unattractive, ugly dance team ever graced Olympic Podium. ISU should be ashamed.

beabstress

On the Ice
D/W is the most unattractive, ugly dance team ever graced Olympic Podium. ISU should be ashamed.

Although it looks like they're headed to the podium, the free dance hasn't been skated, so the ISU hasn't yet done anything, technically. It's totally cool if D/W is not your favorite, or even if you don't care for their style/programs at all, but to call them "ugly" is really harsh. There are kinder ways to express your opinion.

ademption

Rinkside

They are not picking music or choreography that fits with their personality. Their programs don't have the level of difficulty that their compatriots have. For example in last night's original dance, B&A only received level 3s for their elements whereas the top 2 had mostly level 4s for their elements. One of the reasons that they are getting slammed in their PCS scores is b/c their music does not have a clear beginning, middle or end; a medium-fast part in the beginning, slow section in the middle and fast part in the end. The music basically levels off at the end. Their exits out of the lifts have been very messy in both the original and free dances. Unfortunately, Linichuk did not choreograph their programs to accentuate Belbin/Agosto's best assets.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Was watching US with Terry, Kristi, Peter, and special guest Paul Wylie and they just showed Voir's OD from last nite and everyone was speechless in a good way. Peter (who was there last nite) said that was the best he have seen in any of the disciplines so far. He even stated that Robin Cousins said to him that they are a combo of Torvill & Dean and G/G.

We really shouldn't over-do it. As a previous poster said, no matter how good they are, they are not in the same league as the greats.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you............B/A have been around for awhile. Why would an experienced dance team not keep their difficulty at the same level as their competition? It's not as if they don't know the rules and point system! 42

ademption

Rinkside

Tracy Wilson said something similiar on the previous Terry Gannon show on Sunday before the original dance. She didn't speak of specific dancers. She just said that the free dance performances might rise to the level of Torvill and Dean IIRC.

She is going to be so excited after the Virtue/Moir performance tonight. For the most part, last night during V/M's original dance, she was silent. But after they finished, she sounded so excited for them...

piano18

Rinkside
They are not picking music or choreography that fits with their personality. Their programs don't have the level of difficulty that their compatriots have. For example in last night's original dance, B&A only received level 3s for their elements whereas the top 2 had mostly level 4s for their elements. One of the reasons that they are getting slammed in their PCS scores is b/c their music does not have a clear beginning, middle or end; a medium-fast part in the beginning, slow section in the middle and fast part in the end. The music basically levels off at the end. Their exits out of the lifts have been very messy in both the original and free dances. Unfortunately, Linichuk did not choreograph their programs to accentuate Belbin/Agosto's best assets.

Belbin Agosto got level 3s on step sequences which many teams (Domnina, Virtue) only got too, i believe D/S V/M and B/A all tied in the technical base value mark, but the GOEs and average PCS are totally killing B/A , I am really shocked. Especially the CD area which is Linichuk's specialty over Shpilband, why haven't they improved more on that?

Only Davis White & the Italians got level 4 on the circular sequience in the OD.

piano18

Rinkside
I predict no team tomorrow will get all level 4s, ISU is just so edge obsessed these days!

It's called Ice Dance. There is no logic in this discipline, only politicking. The only reason D/W are doing so well because that's what US federation wants and they also have more capable in back-door dealing coaches.
Jeez. What sour grapes are you sucking?

cornell08

Final Flight
My bone to pick with Davis & White is that they look way too conspicuously hungry for gold. Yes they skated clean and with prowess last night—but there was no joy in their skating. All I see is Meryl’s head going through what points they should earn and Charlie looking nervous like he’s afraid to deal with a mad Meryl. They can talk all they want about ‘being confidant’ and ‘doing justice’ to an Indian dance, but I don’t really feel like they have their hearts in their performances. I feel like ever since Eleanor Rigby they’ve been skating with their heads and don’t get lost in their programs (they did last season for Samson & Delilah but it was a bit too melodramatic even by ice dance standards imo).

I thought B/A did a great job last night. I was surprised, as I’ve never been a big fan of their skating. I thought they put all their energy and heart into that performance and who cares if it wasn’t accurately ‘Moldovan’ (who even knows what constitutes authentic Moldovan dancing?)—it was a joyful performance! I’m glad they seemed happy and proud even after receiving scores that should’ve been higher. It wasn’t even the usual tight-lipped smile Tan usually gives after a score she doesn’t like.

Virtue & Moir were phenomenal in the OD but I think FD is where they will really shine. The program is the antithesis of D/W’s cymbil-clanging, cliché, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink trick-wise POTO freedance. If they skate clean and with their usual heart/joy, I’d say they deserve to be the ice dance champions.

ademption

Rinkside
Thank you............B/A have been around for awhile. Why would an experienced dance team not keep their difficulty at the same level as their competition? It's not as if they don't know the rules and point system! 42

It's inexplicable to me. A few years ago, B/A changed their program from "That's Entertainment" medly to the Amelie program after they received a negative reaction to it. I was hoping that they would do the same thing again after their Grand Prix events. But they never did. They supposedly worked on making their elements more difficult over the holidays. The judges just didn't see it.

Watching B/A this season is like watching a slow car wreck right before it has happened. You know what's going to happen; hope it doesn't, but there's nothing that you can do about it....

M

mylastduchess

Its not just the elements but the program as a whole fall way short of the choreography the V/M and D/W have

ademption

Rinkside
Belbin Agosto got level 3s on step sequences which many teams (Domnina, Virtue) only got too, i believe D/S V/M and B/A all tied in the technical base value mark, but the GOEs and average PCS are totally killing B/A , I am really shocked. Especially the CD area which is Linichuk's specialty over Shpilband, why haven't they improved more on that?

Only Davis White & the Italians got level 4 on the circular sequience in the OD.

Thanks for the correction. Perhaps Linichuk is overrated? I don't know. I don't particularly care for her style of choreography.

I still have no idea who Belbin/Agosto should have coached them, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't Linichuk....

icebeauty

On the Ice
I'm going to stay away from podium predictions, comments about coaching, snarky remarks about costumes and music, complaints about starting orders or any of that...

I knew it was coming, I think we all did, but I just didn't think tonight would arrive so fast!

Tonight's free dance will be Tanith and Ben's farewell skate...it's their last dance! (If anything, they should have gotten the pimp spot..."save the last dance for me" and all...fine i couldn't resist making that comment about start order :p)

regardless of what happens tonight, I hope that Tanith and Ben can walk away from this sport with their heads held high, and that everyone, fans and critic alike, can really appreciate everything that they have done over the years. I can guarantee I won't be the only one crying tonight!

Last edited: