In a class of his own: Orser owned 2013-14 season | Golden Skate

In a class of his own: Orser owned 2013-14 season

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No surprise there. Best singles coach out there right now, IMO. Very few technical issues in his students and great successes this season.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Brian Orser. He deserves this for his hard work and dedication. Brian has always been a stickler for detail, his programs were always in a class of their own even when he competed. Well done Brian!

:clap:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Nice article! Well-deserved for Orser. He's done a fantastic job with Yuzu and Javi. Hopefully we'll see great things from Nam in the years to come.

Incredible contribution to the sport as a skater (two Olympic silvers is nothing to sneeze at--in fact, in ways, worth more than just a single gold) and continuing contribution as a coach. :clap:

Can you imagine what Brian would have said if someone had come to him after the 1988 Games and said, "Kid, in 2014 you're going to have more gold medals to your name as a coach than any one skater could dream of winning at the Olympics"?

Good going, Brian.

makaihime

Final Flight
I'm really interested to know how Nam will turn out since Orser got him at a very young age and can mold him. Yuzuru already had all his jumps and both quads before he went to Orser and Javier had his jumps as well and they were both "polished" by Orser/Tracy. The road to 2018 will be very interesting indeed.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Well-deserved accolade! And the article I think captures THE question(s) as to Brian Orser: "Was it better, in the long run, that Brian Orser did not win that elusive Olympic gold medal? Would he have been as driven to succeed in coaching if he'd accomplished everything he'd wanted to as a competitor? We'll never know for sure. What we do know is figure skating is in a better place because of Brian Orser and his monumental contributions to the sport." Thanks HanDomi for sharing.

As he has said, it took a long time for him to get over the crushing of his Olympic hopes and dreams, but he was able to pick himself up and in turn help others realize theirs, proving that it is through helping others that one can also gain redemption; and also that in life there can be second acts and silver linings. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Told you they would screw Russia.

Oh yes, poor poor picked-on Russia. Must be hard to walk around with that giant chip on your shoulder.

Well good for Orser, particularly since so many wrote him off and said his career was finished after the whole Yuna debacle. Sometimes nice guys do finish first--and he seems like a quintessential nice guy.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have no problem with Orser being selected, and he definitely deserves a lot of credit for transforming Javier Fernandez from a perennially underscored (and unrefined) skater to the competitor and champion that he is today.

With regard to Hanyu, Orser got a huge talent with top-notch technique and very good presentation. Did he help him become a champion, sure - but I think Hanyu was already well on that path when he came to Toronto, and Nanami Abe played a large role in that.