Keegan Messing in limbo; awaits negative COVID test results | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing in limbo; awaits negative COVID test results

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Best wishes for Keegan.

This kind of shows that the Russian Federation was not all that interested in saving Kolyada. With all the work Canada is doing, it's clearly possible to get a positive COVID skater to China but only if a federation decides to. Happy Canada is doing all they can for Messing and very disappointed Russia used this as an excuse to get rid of Misha.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Best wishes for Keegan.

This kind of shows that the Russian Federation was not all that interested in saving Kolyada. With all the work Canada is doing, it's clearly possible to get a positive COVID skater to China but only if a federation decides to. Happy Canada is doing all they can for Messing and very disappointed Russia used this as an excuse to get rid of Misha.
I wouldn't be so sure yet. We still don't know if Keegan will get to China. The Men's event is first. In the end, we might blame Canada for not sending the alt in time. Also, Mikhail was sick and injured before the games, he might not be in top shape anyway.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
misha felt ill... that also may be a factor... keegan is in full shape and training...

we don't know yet if an alternate is being flown or not. It may happen... it may have already happened that an athlete has been flown in... but i would understand the COC not to reveal such information... same with Keegan... they were obviously trying not to release the information right away not to distract the athlete... now every Canadian sports media wants to talk to Keegan...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no! Not Keegan! I really hope he can test negative in enough time...

If God forbid he's still positive tomorrow when the Team Event starts can he still get in for the Men's Singles event?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh no! Not Keegan! I really hope he can test negative in enough time...

If God forbid he's still positive tomorrow when the Team Event starts can get still get in for the Men's Singles event?
the COC has said that they are willing to fly him as late as one day before he has to compete in the Men's Singles... they have looked at all possible scenarios for it to happen but, of course, it requires the proper negative tests...

cisum88note

Rinkside
Best wishes for Keegan.

It's not accurate to say "it's clearly possible to get a positive COVID skater to China." In fact, athletes need TWO negative Covid tests before they are able to get on a plane and then must continue to test negative a China. Nobody who is Covid-positive is going to China until they test negative or will be allowed to compete in China unless they continue to test negative.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be so sure yet. We still don't know if Keegan will get to China. The Men's event is first. In the end, we might blame Canada for not sending the alt in time. Also, Mikhail was sick and injured before the games, he might not be in top shape anyway.

It's not accurate to say "it's clearly possible to get a positive COVID skater to China." In fact, athletes need TWO negative Covid tests before they are able to get on a plane and then must continue to test negative a China. Nobody who is Covid-positive is going to China until they test negative or will be allowed to compete in China unless they continue to test negative.

A COVID positive skater would not be allowed to compete at the Olympics in China? Shocker. Wow, I can't believe it. Thank you for pointing that out!!! I had no idea.

Feel free to read between the lines but the point being made was that Skate Canada is trying. It absolutely was not a done deal for Misha's Olympics to test positive a couple of days ago. Russian Fed just said no and moved on.

I really hope Keegan tests negative in time to compete in the singles event though. Sad for him but thrilled to be seeing more of my adorable hot mess Romsky at the Olympics. :rock:

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

Also Kolyada might have taken himself out, he was the scapegoat of Russia not getting gold in 2018, maybe he didn't want to force himself in under-trained and recovering from illness (he did have to take a whole season off due to surgery for sinus issues) and have to deal with the press again should he underperform especiallyknowing he's still not super consistent. Russian press seems to be quick to turn on a skater, see Shcherbakova at Russian Nationals and Europeans SP.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Best wishes for Keegan.

The Russian federation doesn’t need Misha.

NaVi

Medalist
Also Kolyada might have taken himself out, he was the scapegoat of Russia not getting gold in 2018
I don't find the "don't blame Kolyada" retconning(that I saw on sports.ru recently) very convincing... Patrick Chan did not skate very well either and if Kolyada had just an average skate for him that season he would have beat Chan in both. If Russia was still in the hunt they could have put Tarasova and Morozov in the FS pairs event but they didn't because they knew it was futile.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't find the "don't blame Kolyada" retconning(that I saw on sports.ru recently) very convincing... Patrick Chan did not skate very well either and if Kolyada had just an average skate for him that season he would have beat Chan in both. If Russia was still in the hunt they could have put Tarasova and Morozov in the FS pairs event but they didn't because they knew it was futile.
I think the Russians were never going to put him on the team but individual events are different.

They have a number of fairly talented guys and he is not Valieva.

Kittosuni

Medalist
The insinuation that somehow Rusfed secretly hates Kolyada so much is just absurd.

They had 4 years propping him up and despite not living to his potential, he is getting the royalty treatment. Up until he needed to withdraw Euros due to injury then unfortunately getting Covid he was Russia's no.1 going to the olympics.

He just got back in the ice a day ago and that is very telling about the extent of his injury and covid. And him getting back on the ice could mean a lot of things but the most logical is that is he is just taking it easy and acclimating. What's absurd is that expecting him to be on his prime less than a week before major sickness not counting the traveling to Beijing, processing etc means he is realistically getting atleast 4 days of actual ice time until the start of the individual men's SP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even if he passed the Beijing crud test, Kolyada was too sick and undertrained to skate at the Olympics. Omicron may not attack the lungs, but it can have pretty severe effects on the upper respiratory system, and Misha recently had sinus surgery. Let him stay home and get in competitive shape for Worlds.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For the team event, couldn't Roman be used?
Yes, although the COC/SC didn't officially inform Roman that he'd be competing in the TE even after he had completed his THURSDAY practice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What.......... :drama: When will we know if he'll be able to compete? He waited a long time to win his Championship and I'll be devastated for him and his family if he's unable to fulfill this life long dream.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What.......... :drama: When will we know if he'll be able to compete? He waited a long time to win his Championship and I'll be devastated for him and his family if he's unable to fulfill this life long dream.
I assume by he you mean Keegan. He did go to the 2018 Olympics, so has "fulfilled his lifelong dream". We probably won't know if he's going until a skater (Keegan or substitute) leaves Canada for Bejing. Even then it won't be a sure thing, since the skater will have to pass the Chinese-lottery COVID test.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I assume by he you mean Keegan. He did go to the 2018 Olympics, so has "fulfilled his lifelong dream". We probably won't know if he's going until a skater (Keegan or substitute) leaves Canada for Bejing. Even then it won't be a sure thing, since the skater will have to pass the Chinese-lottery COVID test.
Wishing him the best. BY life long dream, I meant that he became Canadian National Champion. He talked a bit about wanting to be Canadian Champion shortly after announcing he had decided Represent Canada.