Ladies LP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

rtureck

Final Flight
I think Mao and Yu-Na are fantastic skaters and have more technical ability than Sasha or most skaters ever managed. I also LIKE Mao's presentation, she's gotten a lot better in that respect, and I enjoyed her skates at NHK a lot. But there's no comparison to Sasha in artistry.

Just what exactly is artistry???? Skaters are not marked on "artistry" in competitions

And as far as "there will never be anyone like her" -- you're probably right, because we have a system now that all but ignores artistry. I still see some beautiful skates, but most of the time they are from the older group of veteran skaters, who generally don't have the point scoring ability to compete in CoP. There was a list of ladies who will probably retire in or before 2010. We'll be losing most or all of the remaining skaters that have ever competed before CoP. I'll be very sad on that day...

"There will never be anyone like Sasha" that is entirely subjective, you may go ga ga all over her, others find her boring. Anyway there is a simple solution, which Sasha herself is going for, i.e. don't compete in ISU competitions anymore, just do show skating. Seriously when Sasha was doing competition, she got me at the edge of the seat, will she flop and fall on the jump, 2 foot, scratch out, hands down, pop, over rotate? All those mess ups do not contribute to the overall continuity and "art" of the program JMO of course.

Back to topic, kudos to Mao, she is not just going for a medal, she is trying to take risk and advance the sport.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Just what exactly is artistry???? Skaters are not marked on "artistry" in competitions

Agreed, not anymore.

"Seriously when Sasha was doing competition, she got me at the edge of the seat, will she flop and fall on the jump, 2 foot, scratch out, hands down, pop, over rotate? All those mess ups do not contribute to the overall continuity and "art" of the program JMO of course."

All the mess ups that you mention about Sasha's skating in the past will not hinder her at all under COP. Sasha will fit right in as evidenced by the mistake riddle programs that some of skaters are puting out there know, everything that you said above about Sasha mess ups, I have seen this season and not just once or twice but on a regular basis. You don't need to be clean and stay upright to medal. I would think that the question Sasha may be asking herself is not how well will I score but whether she wants to put herself through the rigors of training again. If she decides to go for it, I think she can be competitive, why not. This of course is all JMO

rtureck

Final Flight
Sasha will fit right in as evidenced by the mistake riddle programs that some of skaters are puting out there know, everything that you said above about Sasha mess ups, I have seen this season and not just once or twice but on a regular basis.

Well, the context of the discussion was: "There is no one like Sasha", therefore putting her above all skaters. I am sure there are plenty of skaters who fall, flop, 2 foot etc, but they are not being hyped as "there is no one like e.g. Kimmie"

don't need to be clean and stay upright to medal.
Oh, I agree, in competition, they need to have overall good skating, it is definitely not about jumps, so BTW how is Sasha's speed compare to YuNa or Mao?? How is Sasha's edges compare to e.g. YuNa or Mao. Remember the context of the discussion is "there is no one like Sash" that implies that she is the best skater who ever laced up a pr of skates

I would think that the question Sasha may be asking herself is not how well will I score but whether she wants to put herself through the rigors of training again. If she decides to go for it, I think she can be competitive, why not. This of course is all JMO

Of course she can compete, she may even have a chance to place high enough to be in the USA team, but how she will do against Mao and YuNa?? I think there are skaters who keep trying because they love to compete, but Sasha has never been one to impress me that she stays in competitive skating for the thrill of advancing the sports or competition. Sasha impresses me as a skater who loves the glamor and glitz and medal. IMO she received (actually she said) the silver medal at Turino was a "gift", I seriously doubt she will be able to medal in another olympic game. How can she get by in competition with a double axel and 2 foot 3s?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Of course she can compete, she may even have a chance to place high enough to be in the USA team, but how she will do against Mao and YuNa?? I QUOTE]

How will Sasha do against Mao and YuNa probably the same as the other ladies. Mao and YuNa have set the tone as the ladies to beat. Other than Joannie and Caro who could possibly upset, everyone else is looking at bronze.I would put a well trained Sasha in the top ten at Vancouver. I can't say that about the other U.S. ladies right know.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd say Rachel Flatt is a good candidate for top 10 in the World. Not sure about the others. I WOULD have said Meissner could do it if she got her jumps back, but she is clearly in transition mode right now.

I'd say Rachel Flatt is a good candidate for top 10 in the World. Not sure about the others. I WOULD have said Meissner could do it if she got her jumps back, but she is clearly in transition mode right now.
What the USFS needs are two skaters that can total 13 points based on their Worlds event. Generally, the third skater does not garner a Top 10 posiition, but it does give the skater a chance to make a statement for the following year.

rtureck

Final Flight
Of course she can compete, she may even have a chance to place high enough to be in the USA team, but how she will do against Mao and YuNa?? I QUOTE]

How will Sasha do against Mao and YuNa probably the same as the other ladies. Mao and YuNa have set the tone as the ladies to beat. Other than Joannie and Caro who could possibly upset, everyone else is looking at bronze.I would put a well trained Sasha in the top ten at Vancouver. I can't say that about the other U.S. ladies right know.

A well trained Sasha, or a Sasha who is willing to go through the pain and discipline of vigorous training is almost oxymornish. Anyway, Sasha may even score bronze, which is a major accomplishment. But in the context of some Sasha fans who are still hyping her as "no one like Sahsa", or "she is the best skater ever", Sasha falls short of such hype. JMO

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
What the USFS needs are two skaters that can total 13 points based on their Worlds event. Generally, the third skater does not garner a Top 10 posiition, but it does give the skater a chance to make a statement for the following year.

True. But more accurately, it gives that skater some well-needed EXPERIENCE out there. That can account for a lot. But nothing is without a gotcha- it could also add to the pressure if she happens to do really well. It may set the bar higher than she can reach. Case in point: Meissner, 2006 Worlds