Latvia’s Deniss Vasiljevs strives for ‘excellence’ | Golden Skate

Latvia’s Deniss Vasiljevs strives for ‘excellence’

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great interview! My first recollection of Deniss is of enjoying his skating at Boston Worlds 2016. Who was this 16 year old, energetic, baby-face young kid?! I've been following his journey and his quest to get his quad. I still remember him in the K & C exclaiming "I love to skate!" at (I think it was) Rostelecom.

Happy Birthday Deniss. A few years back, someone (can't remember who) organized a birthday card thing where a bunch of us all sent b'day cards to Deniss at a p.o. box. She collected all the cards and hand delivered them to him. She took a photo of him with all the cards and there he was, holding the card I'd sent! :biggrin:

He is a unique, passionate skater. I'm delighted to hear he will be skating to New World Symphony! So excited to see him live at Skate Canada. Hope he has a great season!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

It's also his birthday today!

New Programs for 2022-23

SP: Sting's "Englishman in New York"
FS: Dvořák's "Symphony No. 9"
Fantastic interview!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the interview. Like others, I was entranced by young Deniss "Puttin on the Ritz" and have enjoyed his journey ever since. Love this quote:

I value the overall experience much more. Those precious moments when I get through my fears and overcome the pressure. I would trade medals for that feeling. I had many moments like that last season and I am happy and proud of that.

what a grounded and mature young man:hap10:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great interview! My first recollection of Deniss is of enjoying his skating at Boston Worlds 2016. Who was this 16 year old, energetic, baby-face young kid?! I've been following his journey and his quest to get his quad. I still remember him in the K & C exclaiming "I love to skate!" at (I think it was) Rostelecom.

Happy Birthday Deniss. A few years back, someone (can't remember who) organized a birthday card thing where a bunch of us all sent b'day cards to Deniss at a p.o. box. She collected all the cards and hand delivered them to him. She took a photo of him with all the cards and there he was, holding the card I'd sent! :biggrin:

He is a unique, passionate skater. I'm delighted to hear he will be skating to New World Symphony! So excited to see him live at Skate Canada. Hope he has a great season!
Your post prompted me to check out Deniss's performances at Worlds 2016 (I only started following ice skating again in 2017). Wow - incredible!

Deniss had a really good season in 2017/18, then seemed to dip a bit, and now seems to be on track again. I'd love to see him medal at Milan Olympics! (Alongside Jason Brown and Kevin Aymoz - a girl can dream!)

You're absolutely right - he's certainly a unique and passionate skater - he puts everything into his performances (and is frequently very unfairly short-changed in PCS, IMHO).

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your post prompted me to check out Deniss's performances at Worlds 2016 (I only started following ice skating again in 2017). Wow - incredible!

Deniss had a really good season in 2017/18, then seemed to dip a bit, and now seems to be on track again. I'd love to see him medal at Milan Olympics! (Alongside Jason Brown and Kevin Aymoz - a girl can dream!)

You're absolutely right - he's certainly a unique and passionate skater - he puts everything into his performances (and is frequently very unfairly short-changed in PCS, IMHO).

Deniss is so adorable at the 2016 World Championship.

And we must be kindred spirits because I want the same podium in Milan. :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Wonderful interview! I always enjoy hearing what Deniss has to say both about his skating and life in general, he’s got such a thoughtful, interesting way of putting things. I also really want to know more about his fantasy novel, as a fellow writer and fantasy fan, haha.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard any info regarding which version of New World Symphony Deniss will be using? I was wondering if it would be an orchestra version or possibly something like Alyssa Liu used (the Jennifer Thomas piano version).

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Orchestra Version 🙃

Both programs already look stunning. I personally especially liked the SP, as his personality really shines through like in no program before.

And the FP is so dramatic and he clearly enjoys it a lot.

Thanks everyone for the great reception of the article! He is always such a joy to talk to!