MK Washington Post Article 4/6 | Golden Skate

MK Washington Post Article 4/6

Thanks for the link, Lucy.

That was a poignant descrition of her feelings about the Turin Olympics. One of the few MK interviews in which she shares her heart.

Although she is trying to be brave and leave her options open, it is hard for me to see a return to competition in her future.

"Here, perhaps, is why not (return to competition): Kwan described getting out of bed every morning as an exercise in pain management. She clutched her back and moved her arms slowly to mimic the gradual unwinding. Her back creaks. Her legs stiffen. Her buttocks ache. It takes sessions with therapists and hours of just moving around to feel . . . young again."

I hope she does not try to push it and start including jumps in her programs too soon. Under doctors orders, she is not planning to do any jumps in her COI exhibition program in the first few stops on the tour. But maybe by the April 15th show, she will. What's so special about April 15th that she is suddenly going to feel so much better (well, she'll have her income taxes out of the way.)

Nothing is forever.

http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/photos/michelle-kwan/7687.jpg

-- except COI, of course -- I've got my tickets for the Detroit show already! Go Michelle!

MM :)

If she does skate competitions, it seems to me that it will be a repeat of the last 3 years: no GPs; just cheesefests, and,of course, Nats and Worlds. There will not be any upping of her technical. What we've seen of her technical will be the same in the coming years of whatever competitions. Any choreography will be severely tweaked to accommodate her ailing body so there will be no change in choreography. If the American judges have had it with her, she could be 4th at Nats.

If she really is serious about how much she loves competing, I think she should take a year off and get herself well enough to skate at today's standards which have changed dramatically since 1994.

I love Michelle, but I am not going for the sympathy skate.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
As I have said on other threads -- If Michelle does want to do Nats, she needs to do regionals and sectionals. I don't think she can get GP assignments to get competition byes because she is not seeded and her world rankings are too low. So, if MK doesn't do GP, it doesn't mean she is trying the same stuff she has done the past two seasons -- it only means she is earning her way to Nats (as the rules require -- there are no medical byes)

kaesie

Rinkside
second guessing Michelle

I don't understand why everyone is so anxious to second guess Michelle
and her future in figure skating.

No one knows how Michelle feels, or for that matter what she
might be capable of technically in the future.

The hoopla surrounding Michelle's skating reminds me of the hoopla
surrounding Tiger Woods. He has a bad year as he tries to readjust
his technique and everyone is ready to destroy him in the press.
"What happened to Tiger? He's only 10th in the tournament. He's
really lost it."
Geesh.

Michelle is a superb athlete. All athletes have their ups and downs.
No one here is an expert on Michelle's psyche or her physical condition.
No one here is her skating coach with knowledge of her present & future
technical skills.

Ease up a little folks....I know I'll enjoy watching Michelle skate again
whether she wins or doesn't make the podium.

euterpe

Medalist
attyfan said:
As I have said on other threads -- If Michelle does want to do Nats, she needs to do regionals and sectionals. I don't think she can get GP assignments to get competition byes because she is not seeded and her world rankings are too low. So, if MK doesn't do GP, it doesn't mean she is trying the same stuff she has done the past two seasons -- it only means she is earning her way to Nats (as the rules require -- there are no medical byes)

The USFS can choose Michelle for Skate America. A host nation can select any of its own skaters for its event, regardless of ranking. Emily Hughes had a lower ranking than Michelle's and the US assigned her to SA. SA conflicts with Regionals, so that would give her a bye to sectionals. By doing SA, Michelle would not be under any obligation to do a second GP event.

Forcing Michelle to do Regionals/Sectionals is a double-edged sword. Her presence at Regionals will knock a promising skater out of a Sectionals berth, and her presence at Sectionals will keep another skater from reaching Nationals. The USFS used to have an automatic bye for reigning Olympic medalists, and if they wanted, they could amend the rules to allow one for former World Champions.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
The USFS can choose Michelle for Skate America. A host nation can select any of its own skaters for its event, regardless of ranking... SA conflicts with Regionals, so that would give her a bye to sectionals.
Actually, Skate America (October 26-29) does not conflict with what would be Kwan's Regionals (SWP) which is Oct. 4-8. Skaters are only allowed a 7-day window before or after an international comp. for a bye through Regionals or Sectionals under the current rules. However, USFS' annual fall "cheesefest" is usually held the first week in October...

We'll have to wait and see if the bye rules are amended at the Governing Council meeting in May.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
kaesie said:
I don't understand why everyone is so anxious to second guess Michelle
and her future in figure skating.

Y'all are right, we can't know for sure. But between you and me, I believe her best days are behind her. She'll just be fighting to stay in. I wonder how much of that talk coming from her is just pure hope...

It's not a question of being in a slump. It's a question of how bad is the back? I contend if the back is still in bad condition, then her skating will be limited with no increase in technical and careful choreography for the same reason. the flow will be there but nothing in the way of in-between-elements movements.

Of course this is a wait and see, and I will do that, but if it is a repeat of the past three years, then it's just plain hope for the best.

The whole bit about qualifying for the Nats will be another thing.

Joe

flowjo35

On the Ice
Michelle does not need sympathy from anyone. If her body is able to handle competiton next season she will skate. If her body is unable to handle the stress she will probably retire. She has stated that she will make a decision by the end of the summer about competing next season (like she has since 2002). I will wait and see and wish her all the luck in the world.:)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great article on Michelle. What's up with this sympathy business. Some of the above posters seem disappointed that she is not retiring. I was touched by the things that she said and she seems happy and focused. I will take this article with a grain of salt and not dissect it. If Michelle wants to compete let the girl compete. No one knows the future.

PS. No I am not in denial about her injuries I just like to be optimistic about her future in skating. JMO

Lucy25 said:
Apparently Michelle will be on The View on April 13th.
Between Star, Joy, Elisabeth, Meredith and Barbara, poor Michelle won't be able to get a word in sideways, LOL.

Really sorry, I used the word, sympathy. However, I am not ready to sit through another season of limited competitions. I don't see the drive in someone who loves to compete without skating relevant competitions.

Marshall's may be an opener in that she will skate to win or just skate a beautiful routine. She is a beautiful skater without the hi tech.

Joe

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
Whether that focus is justified or not, that article gave me the feeling that Michelle is REALLY hurt. It sounds like long standing injuries to me. I think she is a beautiful skater with one of the most stellar skating careers ever, but I would trade future competitions in a moment for her future health. There is so much to do when you are 25---take the time to completely heal, Michelle. Forget about the Olympics. You already have two more Olympic medals than a legend like Kurt Browning. You already have a shrine at Nationals. A healthy Michelle is one of the few skaters who could really revitalize pro skating or commentate or do any number of things.

I just don't want her to sacrifice her health when she has already achieved so much. It isn't worth it --for this friendly bystander anyway ( I am not quite a fan-but I do enjoy her skating and admire her public persona.)

flowjo35

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Between Star, Joy, Elisabeth, Meredith and Barbara, poor Michelle won't be able to get a word in sideways, LOL.

Mathman, Michelle faired okay the last time she was on the program. Those ladies sure can talk:laugh:

flowjo35

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Really sorry, I used the word, sympathy. However, I am not ready to sit through another season of limited competitions. I don't see the drive in someone who loves to compete without skating relevant competitions.

Marshall's may be an opener in that she will skate to win or just skate a beautiful routine. She is a beautiful skater without the hi tech.

Joe

Joe

Joe, it might be that Michelle's mind is willing to do numerous competitions but the body is just not able. She has always had the drive to do complete competitive seasons until around the time the back rumors started.

Marshall's is just exhibition skating, but we can look forward to the passion she brings to her programs. I am just going to enjoy her while I can, because there will never be a skater that touchs me the way she does.:)