Patrick Chan | Page 519 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
No, don't be worried about them, they will come as it's early in the season. Also, most of the time LP's are choreographed before SP's so that is more than likely why it looks much further along. ;)
That's good to know, about which program typically gets choreographed first. Thank you for that tidbit. Worry gone! ;)

Skatingfan4ever, like Ic3rabbit, I believe these program are still a work in progress. As a figure skating fan I've come to love the creative process and watching them evolve as the season progress. If we all love them now, can you imagine what they'll be like when they've got more mileage on them? :luv17:

As for your new avatar, I agree the original picture was absolutely gorgeous. I thought that as an avatar it wouldn't work well because it was too dark. I brightened up the image (Patrick and the unicorn are much more visible) so that it might work better. You may not be as fussy about these things so you can decide if you'd like to re-upload it. You should have seen how many times I resized my avatar before I was happy with it. :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/LV0DQE7.jpg

So the unicorn ran away from 4everchan and straight to you, huh??? ;)
First bold: If we end up getting a clean Hallelujah and/or Dust in the Wind this season, my next Patrick blog post just might show "the progression of a figure skating program, as experienced by diehard figure skating fans who care about summer competitions, Senior Bs, and every other program outing." I don't think most people understand that by the time the Olympics rolls around, we figure skating diehards have watched many of the skaters' programs several times and, in the case of our own favorite skaters, memorized their jump layout, transitions, spins, etc (I really hope it's not just me who does that ;)). And, not only do we watch programs several times throughout the season, but if it's a program we enjoy, we don't get bored watching it over and over. It would be fun to show people a program that evolves from a glass-paneled and far-away fancam with doubled/marked jumps to competition perfection. Patrick just has to do his part and skate well! :yes:

Second bold: I also thought that the picture was a little too dark but I didn't want to think of something else to use. So I settled for it anyway. But, the latest photochan is MUCH brighter. I changed my avatar again. Thank you!!! :)

Last edited:

Jeffchiddy

Rinkside
This program is so full of fabulous footwork that at first I couldn’t tell where the actual step sequences were. If I had to describe this program in one sentence, I would say that it’s like watching one long and gorgeous footwork sequence with jumps and spins added for good measure. For many skaters, it’s the other way, where the jumps are the main focus and the other stuff feels added. It’s SO MESMERIZING!!! :yes: For now, here’s just a few details that I noticed, because we do have all season to gush about this program. :laugh:

OMG! I can't agree more! I exactly made a mistake on distinguishing his Chsqs and Stsqs and I'm proud of it. Because they are so connected and consolidated perfectly with the other beautiful transitions in this program as well as the music. He shows us how perfect transitions and step sequence can be, which makes the program a masterpeice and makes him so special.

:agree: But he never gave us a clean La Bohème, did he? Which competition do you think was his best performance of La Bohème?

I agree that COR is the best version technically, but my favorite is the WC version. Despite all the jump disasters, he contributed one of his most emotional performance in that program, especially in the last part when he was completely soaked into the music and burst out unbelievably. His dance and performance were all improved in that time and touched me time and time again.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
OMG! I can't agree more! I exactly made a mistake on distinguishing his Chsqs and Stsqs and I'm proud of it. Because they are so connected and consolidated perfectly with the other beautiful transitions in this program as well as the music. He shows us how perfect transitions and step sequence can be, which makes the program a masterpeice and makes him so special.

I agree that COR is the best version technically, but my favorite is the WC version. Despite all the jump disasters, he contributed one of his most emotional performance in that program, especially in the last part when he was completely soaked into the music and burst out unbelievably. His dance and performance were all improved in that time and touched me time and time again.
:2thumbs: Transitions aren't supposed to look forced or like they're only there to get more points. Patrick's transitions always look like they fit and are supposed to be there as part of the canvas he is painting. There's the same problem with spin positions, which nowadays often look so uncomfortable and not beautiful. Patrick's spin positions never look forced; he has managed to keep them difficult but beautiful at the same time. :bow:

I just watched the COR and Worlds La Bohèmes back to back, and I agree that the Worlds one was, in a sense, better artistically. The errors were more glaring, but the sadness of the Worlds performance strangely fits with Rodolfo's sadness as a character at the end of the opera. Patrick looked tired at the end of the program, but that actually works with the tone of the music. At Worlds the two quads and the 3Lo with the transitions in and out of it were particularly nice. It was nice to remind myself of that program. It's still not my favorite, but I do think it's a good program. Thanks for helping me rewatch that Worlds LP for the first time in years. I actually wasn't too sad about the mistakes this time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Skate Canada just posted these videos of Patrick talking about CAN Skate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKxXwn0aEQ

Will work on a transcript on my blog...

Patrick speaking in French (let us know what you think, 4everchan):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFZZAUxDTk

Strange that these didn't show up in my YouTube search... Tomorrow HPC begins!

Transcription including Patrick's cute mistaktes... plus translation... sentence by sentence

Patinage plus était la première étape à apprendre à patiner
(Can Skate was the first step to learn skating)
Je voulais jouer le hockey donc pour bien commencer à apprendre les habiletés de base
( I wanted to play hockey so to get started with learning properly the basic skills)
J'ai commencé à Patinage plus car c'est là que j'ai appris toutes les habiletés que je devais avoir pour jouer le hockey
(I started Can Skate because that's where I learned all the skills I needed to play hockey)
Pour quelqu'un qui a aucune habileté à patiner
(For someone who has no skating expérience)
Patinage plus est un endroit où tu peux apprendre un sport qui appartient au Canada. Le patinage ça appartient au Canada, c'est un sport qui est dans notre sang, est dans notre âme alors, pour moi, Patinage plus était l'endroit où j'ai commencé ma passion pour le patinage.
(Can Skate is a place where you can learn a sport that belongs to Canada. Skating does belong to Canada, it's a sport that is in our blood, in our soul, so for me, Can Skate was where I started ma passion for skating)

So ... yeah... Patrick's French is very easy to understand : he has nice pronunciation and his mistakes are cute rather than appalling... however, his grammar is not very developed so he ends up repeating the same thing over and over in order to make his point. He was obviously much more elaborate in English on the same topic, but there was a cute passion to his French discourse... he sort of became a bit more nationalistic about skating.

I think that if Patrick wanted to spend just a bit of time, he would be fully bilingual rather quickly as the basics are pretty good... living in the USA is definitely not the best way to achieve this...

But damn, isn't he adorable? :love:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Transcription including Patrick's cute mistaktes... plus translation... sentence by sentence

Patinage plus était la première étape à apprendre à patiner
(Can Skate was the first step to learn skating)
Je voulais jouer le hockey donc pour bien commencer à apprendre les habiletés de base
( I wanted to play hockey so to get started with learning properly the basic skills)
J'ai commencé à Patinage plus car c'est là que j'ai appris toutes les habiletés que je devais avoir pour jouer le hockey
(I started Can Skate because that's where I learned all the skills I needed to play hockey)
Pour quelqu'un qui a aucune habileté à patiner
(For someone who has no skating expérience)
Patinage plus est un endroit où tu peux apprendre un sport qui appartient au Canada. Le patinage ça appartient au Canada, c'est un sport qui est dans notre sang, est dans notre âme alors, pour moi, Patinage plus était l'endroit où j'ai commencé ma passion pour le patinage.
(Can Skate is a place where you can learn a sport that belongs to Canada. Skating does belong to Canada, it's a sport that is in our blood, in our soul, so for me, Can Skate was where I started ma passion for skating)

So ... yeah... Patrick's French is very easy to understand : he has nice pronunciation and his mistakes are cute rather than appalling... however, his grammar is not very developed so he ends up repeating the same thing over and over in order to make his point. He was obviously much more elaborate in English on the same topic, but there was a cute passion to his French discourse... he sort of became a bit more nationalistic about skating.

I think that if Patrick wanted to spend just a bit of time, he would be fully bilingual rather quickly as the basics are pretty good... living in the USA is definitely not the best way to achieve this...

But damn, isn't he adorable? :love:

Aw, thank you. I chuckled when I heard him repeating words over and over again. Yes, he does sound more nationalistic here.

It was interesting to me that in the English version he emphasized his interest in hockey and mentioned figure skating almost as an afterthought. I think he would still love to play hockey instead if he could!

I'll be blogging today and will add your translation to my post! :agree:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh, and Patrick just announced the release of his sparkling wine!

Read Rachael Flatt's response:

https://twitter.com/RachaelFlatt/status/902921223218143232

:rofl: :rofl:

Release it everywhere, Patrick, at least in Canada, or at least in Montreal. Bottle it in half bottles too, so people can enjoy it regularly outside of celebratory gatherings.

This could be my soft drink since I don't do colas and other sugar water, carbonated or not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Release it everywhere, Patrick, at least in Canada, or at least in Montreal. Bottle it in half bottles too, so people can enjoy it regularly outside of celebratory gatherings.

This could be my soft drink since I don't do colas and other sugar water, carbonated or not.

i want patrick's bubbles :)

i would drink a whole bottle by myself during each of his olympic skates.... and i agree about releasing it outside Ontario... but if it's not coming here, it's probably a sign that it's small batch and good... I lived for a long time in BC and some wines never make it out of the vineyard... you have to buy them there or order them in... what was in the stores in BC was big enough batches only and what goes out of BC is almost always crap ;) so let's see ;)

In any case... GO PATRICK!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Right now in The Edge there is a thread titled "Interesting/Unique Transitions Into Jumps." I don't know if I want to participate, but it got me thinking about Patrick's transitions. I remember the hop-twizzle-hop-twizzle-one-foot glide before the 3A in Elegy and the flamenco tap before and after the 3Lz in Aranjuez. Most of Patrick's transitions are amazing. And yet, I always have trouble isolating them from the programs because everything works together so seamlessly. With Patrick, I don't say to myself, "Oh, that was a nice transition." I say, "Wow, that was beautiful and fitting." I guess what I'm saying is that Patrick's transitions don't feel like "transitions" because they're not highlighted or obvious. It is the off-season and Nebelhorn is still a month away, so what are some of your favorite transitions from Patrick over the years? I love the 3Lo-turn-stop in Chopin, for sure.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Right now in The Edge there is a thread titled "Interesting/Unique Transitions Into Jumps." I don't know if I want to participate, but it got me thinking about Patrick's transitions. I remember the hop-twizzle-hop-- twizzle-one-foot glide before the 3A in Elegy and the flamenco tap befor and aftere the 3Lz in Aranjuez. Most of Patrick's transitions are amazing. And yet, I have trouble isolating them from the programs because everything works together so seamlessly. With Patrick, I don't say to myself, "Oh, that was a nice transition." I say, "Wow, that was beautiful and fitting." I guess what I'm saying is that Patrick's transitions don't feel like "transitions" because they're not highlighted or obvious. It is the off-season and Nebelhorn is still a month away, so what are some of your favorite transitions from Patrick? I love the 3Lo-turn-stop in Chopin, for sure.

:2thumbs: Exactly.

Transition means what is done between elements, sort of a filler. Patrick programs are holistic with continuous choreography interspersed and highlighted with elements. It's also not easy to pick out jump entries from the ongoing footwork. As well, upon landing a jump, he goes on to choreographic footwork immediately.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
:2thumbs: Exactly.

Transition means what is done between elements, sort of a filler. Patrick programs are holistic with continuous choreography interspersed and highlighted with elements. It's also not easy to pick out jump entries from the ongoing footwork. As well, upon landing a jump, he goes on to choreographic footwork immediately.

and they are not as noticeable as some others because they are not gimmicky ;)
Yes, and that's why it didn't seem applicable to mention Patrick in that thread. I read the thread title and thought, "Patrick has the best transitions ever!" Then I started reading the thread and people are mentioning things like spirals, cantilevers, twizzles, ina bauers, lunges, spread eagles, etc. It's a cool thread, but Patrick doesn't fit. So, here's a better question: What are your favorite "program moments" from Patrick over the years? This is MUCH harder for me to answer because there are so many fantastic moments in each program. We've talked about several of them in this thread as we came across them, but what comes to your mind right at this moment? The one that came instantly to my mind is the 3S in Chopin, especially at 4CC. PERFECTION!!!!! :love::love::love: Chopin has many perfect moments, and those many perfect moments make a perfect whole. :yes:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
https://youtu.be/Xe4lv5SJMwQ :luv17: Good interview. So right now he seems to be more in love with Dunst in the Wind than Halleluja. Same here :agree2: For now of course
Nice interview. Patrick is committed to fully enjoying these Olympics and not focusing on the result. :yay: Program-wise, I'm the opposite of Patrick. Right now I like Hallelujah more because it looks more complete. Musically, though, I find Dust in the Wind more memorable. I greatly enjoy both programs and can't wait to watch them evolve. Onward and upward, Patrick! :)