Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
welll ... no... i want more and more and more awesome new programs :) bring me more :)

Oh, I think he should get a new awesome SP for sure. As for the FP - if it ain't broke, why fix it? Just my two cents. Of course this will depend on how the sport progresses as well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
yup... i know about the two seconds and the ice condition... but i still feel that SP may create some more trouble... hopefully i am wrong...

The problem at 4CC was extrinsic and environmental so Patrick shouldn't face the same issue at the next competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm being complimentary and complementary to your post. ;)
awww you are some sweet bliss ;)

- - - Updated - - -

i think the best strategy would be to get a new FP for 2017 and keep it for 2018 :) for the games no ?
Oh, I think he should get a new awesome SP for sure. As for the FP - if it ain't broke, why fix it? Just my two cents. Of course this will depend on how the sport progresses as well.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i think the best strategy would be to get a new FP for 2017 and keep it for 2018 :) for the games no ?

Okay, but only if he can perform it even more spectacularly than he did at 4CC. Right now I'm having a hard time imagining anything better...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in terms of performance... there was only one tiny glitch.. the 2Loop at the end of the 3 jump combo wasn't as straight in the air as it could have been... the main issue is that Patrick will need to figure out if he can add in a third quad..... and that may change a lot of things....
Okay, but only if he can perform it even more spectacularly than he did at 4CC. Right now I'm having a hard time imagining anything better...

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
in terms of performance... there was only one tiny glitch.. the 2Loop at the end of the 3 jump combo wasn't as straight in the air as it could have been... the main issue is that Patrick will need to figure out if he can add in a third quad..... and that may change a lot of things....

Maybe he should focus on adding the second quad to his SP first. If he can do two quads in the first half of his FP now, I don't see why he couldn't substitute a quad for the 3L he currently has in his SP?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
stamina ;)

doing the 2 quads in the SP is sort of the same as 3 in the LP (well stamina excluded)... the problem is getting the 4S ready for competition... once it's stable, I think he will use it in both SP and LP
Maybe he should focus on adding the second quad to his SP first. If he can do two quads in the first half of his FP now, I don't see why he couldn't substitute a quad for the 3L he currently has in his SP?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
stamina ;)

doing the 2 quads in the SP is sort of the same as 3 in the LP (well stamina excluded)... the problem is getting the 4S ready for competition... once it's stable, I think he will use it in both SP and LP

I was going to mention that I think his stamina has improved. When I watched his FP again today I noted how energetic he still seemed when he was waving to the cheering crowd. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup :) he has indeed improved it a lot... i guess we will have to wait and see, which is fine too :)
I was going to mention that I think his stamina has improved. When I watched his FP again today I noted how energetic he still seemed when he was waving to the cheering crowd. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think it's in Team Chan's plan to add another quad this season. They wouldn't rush things. It's quite probable he may debut his 4S next season with the right choreography.

This is very risky except for the few with supreme confidence in their quads. If the first quad lacks the flow for a combo, he can add the 3T to the last jump. Another quad doesn't offer the same security. Patrick seems to prefer to include an element of 80% success rate instead of including it anyway to eventually hit everything for a huge score.

As well, he can't repeat the same quad as in the LP.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think viv was talking about next year though... nothing should change this year... just getting more refined... i think we all think that or were you thinking about this year viv ?
I don't think it's in Team Chan's plan to add another quad this season. They wouldn't rush things. It's quite probable he may debut his 4S next season with the right choreography.

This is very risky except for the few with supreme confidence in their quads. If the first quad lacks the flow for a combo, he can add the 3T to the last jump. Another quad doesn't offer the same security. Patrick seems to prefer to include an element of 80% success rate instead of including it anyway to eventually hit everything for a huge score.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

As well, he can't repeat the same quad as in the LP.
and finally, he should always do the 3Lz-3T in the second half... just more points.. i love his 4T-3T but he is losing points :(

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i think viv was talking about next year though... nothing should change this year... just getting more refined... i think we all think that or were you thinking about this year viv ?

Yes, that's correct. For next year I'm sure they will come up with a plan to add more quads. But your idea of doing a triple-triple in the second half is a good one.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
and finally, he should always do the 3Lz-3T in the second half... just more points.. i love his 4T-3T but he is losing points :(

He goes for the WOW factor, which receives no rewards but incurs high risk and possible high penalty. But he's been stubborn about it. Combo in the later half is only an alternative in the rare event of missing it with the quad.

He seems to prioritize the integrity of the program as a whole over point getting, for both his
SP and LP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for this year ... it's feasible... and gives one or two points more... considering how small a margin he had over jin, it may be worth it... but it goes against patrick's principles ;) i think once he said that it was silly not to do the hardest possible combo... :) so to spite him and max out points, he would need to do the lutz alone first, the 3 A second, and then, after the bonus mark, the 4t-3T ;) but that won't happen LOL :) go for it babychiddy :)
Yes, that's correct. For next year I'm sure they will come up with a plan to add more quads. But your idea of doing a triple-triple in the second half is a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

you posted while i was posting in a more eloquent manner again :) what would i do without you ;)
He goes for the WOW factor, which receives no rewards but incurs high risk and possible high penalty. But he's been stubborn about it. Combo in the later half is only an alternative in the rare event of missing it with the quad.

He seems to prioritize the integrity of the program as a whole over point getting, for both his
SP and LP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am so excited for Worlds and after having another look at Patrick's LP. I have discovered the reason for his minimalist costuming. The Man has a BODY for days. Seriously. I basically spent 15 years shirtless when I was training ballet and I can tell you. None of us had a chest and shoulders like Patrick. He must have a serious weight training program along with his dance training.

I would say Johnny Weir is thinner than we were and if I had to pick a perfect "Dancers Body" I'd say, Plushy, Jeff Buttle, or Alex Johnson. Actually, I've never seen Alex in person so, I can't say for sure. But he looks great on TV. I don't how tall they are however. I'm 5'10 and was basically right in the middle of the height line. It was very difficult for a Male dancer to get work if they were under 5'6". Armin M. would have been jobless. He was so tiny and cute....;)

The problem, if you could call it that. Is that most tall skaters are Ice Dancers. With exception of Evan and dreamy Ryan Bradley

Oh yeah.....Eman...Does Eman have a fan page. I would love to know how's he's doing these days. I certainly hope he's still dancing. Love him or hate him, the boy had skills. :agree:

Oh My Gaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwddddd. Eman is 35.....:eeking: I must be a thousand years old. I can't believe he's 35. Ugh....:drama:

Last edited:

yuki

Final Flight
I think a lot of the public and the posters here look for the flamboyancy and drama of say toller Cranston or Johnny Weir or Daisuke Takahashi -they were extroverts and played their programs in a very aggressively extrovert way.

:hijacked: Off topic, but this is inaccurate. Daisuke was able to do quiet/introverted just fine.

Krunchii

Record Breaker

If he does the 4T as a solo jump then he would need steps going into it, a lot of men go for the 4T-3T when they do a quad because they can better prep themselves for the quad by not needing those steps in front and just gliding into it, maybe he chooses the 4-3 because it's easier for him than a 4T with steps.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If he does the 4T as a solo jump then he would need steps going into it, a lot of men go for the 4T-3T when they do a quad because they can better prep themselves for the quad by not needing those steps in front and just gliding into it, maybe he chooses the 4-3 because it's easier for him than a 4T with steps.

Most Men with a quad did not put them in the SP because they could not do it with steps, until they realized judges kept a closed eye to this rule when it came to a quad. So many are now doing their SP solo quads with hardly any step into it and getting away with it. Patrick enters all his jumps with at least some steps so he can legitimately make a combo with either of the non-Axel jumps.