Tim Goebel leaving Frank Carroll | Golden Skate

Tim Goebel leaving Frank Carroll

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Totally didn't see that one coming. Also surprised they're announcing it now, when Tim has had a decent season start.

Good luck to Tim and I know Carroll will hold his own.

At Skate America I notice during the practice session, that Caroll was working quite intently with Evan despite Evan's injuries. I think Caroll wants to get a shoo-in for the Olys either now or in 2010. Tim without quads is not Johnny Weir.

Funny when I think about all these top tier skaters changing coaches, I can't help but think of the vitriol that came out against Kwan when she dropped her coach. Oh well .......

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Timmy is landing his quads , so I think that he has a better chance of beating Weir than Evan. Interesting how he gets his quads back working with Audrey and Audrey hasn't quite been able to get Mikey the quad. I'm wondering if Timmy will try a quad lutz and land it.

sk8m8

Final Flight
more to the good...doesn't AW coach in the DC area? That would make an easy commute to sites north, such as say...Robin Wagner's rink. I think that between AW and RW, Tim's artistry could be as good as Weir's ( and I adore Weir's skating)

soogar

Record Breaker
ITA Braveskatefan:
People really like to pick on Timmy but he makes the effort to improve his artistry. One thing for sure is that Timmy HAS the quads while Johnny has yet to show that he has a competitive quad. I still think that despite COP, when it comes down to big events such as Worlds and Olympics, it will come down to who has the most jumps. Plus Timmy is a good spinner and has nice footwork which will get credit under COP.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Funny when I think about all these top tier skaters changing coaches, I can't help but think of the vitriol that came out against Kwan when she dropped her coach. Oh well .......

Joe, I think that had she retained the services of another coach, the backlash would not have been so great. The fact that she stayed coachless in an Olympic year SEEMED to smack of "I'm so great that I don't need a coach." (The operative word is "seemed"--not that I think that was the case at all.) Many of her own fans did the most criticizing--perhaps feeling that she let them down by not winning the gold and that this came about because she went coachless.

sk8m8 said:
I think that between AW and RW, Tim's artistry could be as good as Weir's ( and I adore Weir's skating)...

Tim's artistry will NEVER equal that of Johnny. That said, Johnny will never achieve the quad mastery that Tim did (but then again, neither will anyone else!) :biggrin:

rtureck

Final Flight
Good for Timmy.

The people who were most critical of Michelle and Frank not coming to a satisfactory way of extending their contract, were wagon jumpers. I seriously doubt Michelle fans or skating fans were so disappointed as to diss her as a stabbing Frank's back

MK was 21 at the time, she wanted to take charge of her skating, if that was a mistake, she was allowed to make and learnt from it. Anyway, Michelle coached an Olympic bronze medalist, not a bad record at all.

Seriously, can anyone consider what the first MK fan page webmaster's vitriol against MK (here at GS ) at the time as criticism? It was not criticism, it was venom. Maybe whoever SEEMED to be MK's fan, and then accused her of stabbing Frank's back, had never been a fan, maybe s/he bet on the Olympic outcome and lost money. Maybe s/he jumped to another skater's wagon hoping to win big in 2006.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As to coach changes in general, I like what the Russian coach Victor Kudryavtsev (who has had more than his fair share of students leaving him) said: that leaving a coach is OK if (1) an explanation is given as to avoid wild rumors flying around, and (2) all financial obligations are met.

mzheng

Record Breaker
IMO, it is a good change for Tim.
Frank is too busy with all those elite skaters in his hand. And improvement on artistry need the patients and detail attentions.

mike79

On the Ice
I agree that this is a great move for Timmy. I'm surprised he didn't do it earlier.

S

SkateFan4Life

All the best to Timothy Goebel and Audrey Weisinger. đź‘Ť I think she is an excellent coach, and they will work well together. As Frank Carroll coaches both Evan Lysacek and Jenny Kirk, perhaps he doesn't have the time to handle three world-class singles skaters.

I only hope that Goebel stays injury-free for the rest of his career! He's had more than his share of serious injuries, some of which were probably caused by overtraining on the quads.

Anyway, best of luck to the "Quad King"! :biggrin:

mzheng

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I only hope that Goebel stays injury-free for the rest of his career! He's had more than his share of serious injuries, some of which were probably caused by overtraining on the quads.

:

Unless you know what we don't know, I think Tim would be safer with Audrey than Frank. ;)

When was last time we heard Weiss injury when he was with Audrey? While Evan now trainned with some serious injury, so I heard.

dr.frog

On the Ice
mzheng said:
When was last time we heard Weiss injury when he was with Audrey?

Weiss has had his share of injuries in his career. He missed sectionals in the fall of 1995 due to a stress fracture in his heel, and he had another stress fracture (I think it was a stress fracture, at least) in the fall of 2000 that caused him to pull out of Skate America plus really screwed up his jumping for the entire season (that was the year he finished 4th at nationals and didn't go to worlds).

Vash01

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
All the best to Timothy Goebel and Audrey Weisinger. đź‘Ť I think she is an excellent coach, and they will work well together. As Frank Carroll coaches both Evan Lysacek and Jenny Kirk, perhaps he doesn't have the time to handle three world-class singles skaters.

Anyway, best of luck to the "Quad King"! :biggrin:

Neither Evan nor Jenny has a world medal, or even a top 5 finish at worlds. If Frank lets go of his most accomplished student (Olympic bronze, world silver) that is his problem. However, it may not be Frank's decision. It may be Tim's (I think the article says it was a mutual decision). I don't see Audrey as a world class coach, but neither was Linda Leaver when she coached Brian Boitano. Still, I am a little bummed. I was hoping that Tim would give Frank the opportunity to be the coach of an Olympic gold medalist.

Vash

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Come on, Guys!!!!!!!!!!!! You are talking about the Quad King :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing against Tim G., but Elvis is the original Quad King!!! People always criticized Elvis for his lack of artistry as well, but skaters like Elvis and Timothy are artists in their own right. Their jumping technique is astounding. It takes a lot of stamina to do the quad and all the triples these great athletes do. I always enjoy watching skaters like Elvis and Timothy. It's pure poetry in motion. Skating at its best.

All the best to Timothy with his new coach.

jesslily

Final Flight
Audrey Weisinger is a kind of world class coach. She had been coached Michael Weiss since he was a little boy. Michael is mainly product of Weisinger.
Plus she is also coaching Yoshi Onda. Japanese Federation wouldn't send Yoshi to a just so-so coach to train. Audrey herself was a talented skater, and she talked befroe that she had bitten Dorothy Hamill at Junior level.

This is the quote I find most intriguing:

"'Over time, Timothy and I have come to realize that we have different philosophies on coaching and that it was time for a change,' Carroll said.

I would love to hear Carroll expound more on his "coaching philosophy" and why some of his skaters grow to disagree with it.

(Or maybe this is just Carroll's way of saying as little as possible for the press.)

Mathman