You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 49 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That would have been a pointless answer for sure! 😊

Unfortunately, it was one of the rounds where they were looking answers to fit specific clues. So, there was no hope of Oona and Gage being an answer.

Although, I was kinda hoping that Jason might make an appearance. And, given how little interest there is in figure skating in this country, I'm sure he would have been pointless too!

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you call Walgreens to find out what time Easter stuffies go on sale after Easter. Surely you can hide a few more in the garage without your BIL noticing.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are watching an episode of "The Chase", and the following question comes up:

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the official dog of what American state?

1. Minnesota
  2. Maine
  3. Maryland

And you think "I have no idea where Chesapeake is, but I do know that a figure skating competition is held there!" :biggrin:

With that in mind, if Massachusettes had been an option, I would have gone for that, because I know that there is a big figure skating scene there. But, it wasn't. So, I hadn't a clue. I guessed Maine, with no particular reason.

The answer was actually Maryland.

CaroLiza_fan

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
When you know how to spell the last name Ferreira due to watching FS. I surprised a customer with this when writing down his last name and I was honest: "I only know this because of the last name of a figure skater!" Then we both chuckled that I should tell my boss that I should be allowed to watch skating competitions during work, as it helps my job.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are watching last night's Eurovision Semi-Final 2, and when the singer of one of the songs finally comes onto the stage, your instant reaction is:

"When did Javier Fernández switch to representing Romania in singing?!" :jaw:

WRS - "Llámame"

I know, after watching him for a while, you realise it's not the best likeness. Hence why I am posting about it in this thread rather than the "Look-alikes" thread.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
...when you are watching an episode of "The Chase", and the following question comes up:

The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the official dog of what American state?
    • Minnesota
    • Maine
    • Maryland

And you think "I have no idea where Chesapeake is, but I do know that a figure skating competition is held there!" :biggrin:

With that in mind, if Massachusettes had been an option, I would have gone for that, because I know that there is a big figure skating scene there. But, it wasn't. So, I hadn't a clue. I guessed Maine, with no particular reason.

The answer was actually Maryland.

CaroLiza_fan
I would have known that one because I know a good amount about dogs, plus I grew up in Virginia which shares the Chesapeake Bay with Maryland. Chesapeake itself is in Virginia.

Lipinski boy

Rinkside
…when the day you decide to learn to skate was purposely timed to coincide with the birthday of your favorite skater and, in turn, this day becomes one of the most cherished memories of your life.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when, after attempts to get your previous HDD recorder fixed fail, you buy a replacement of the same model off a well known auction site. And when faced with 3 or 4 in similar condition being sold for the same price, you pick the one that is coming from an address in Torvill Drive, Wollaton.

Well, when I saw the address, it just seemed appropriate to go for this one.

For those that don't know, a housing estate that was built in Wollaton, Nottingham, around the time of their Olympic success had all it's streets named after people and things associated with Jayne and Chris. So, there is:

• Torvill Drive
  • Torvill Heights
  • Dean Close
  • Barnum Close [after their 1983 Free Dance]
  • Chris Close
  • Bolero Close [after their 1984 Free Dance]
  • Callaway Close [after coach Betty Callaway]
  • Courtney Close [after costume maker Courtney Jones]
  • Crawford Close [after singer Michael Crawford, who played the title role in "Barnum"]
  • Jayne Close
  • Christopher Close

The irony is, although Jayne and Chris are both from the Nottingham area, neither of them are actually from Wollaton!

CaroLiza_fan

yuumagical

A heart of gold wrapped in silver lace...🤍🥇
Final Flight
Country
United-States
When you see the words "Might As Well Jump" written in larger-than-usual font in your local newspaper and wonder if it has anything to do with Nathan Chen's autobiography. Upon taking a good look at the paper, I see that these words are used as a title for a photograph of an equestrian rider jumping with her horse. 🏇🤦‍♀️

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would have known that one because I know a good amount about dogs, plus I grew up in Virginia which shares the Chesapeake Bay with Maryland. Chesapeake itself is in Virginia.

The new HDD recorder arrived this afternoon, and I was testing it out over tea-time. So, rather than catching up on one of the episodes of "The Chase" that I recorded last week like I intended, I watched the episode of "Pointless" that was actually on the TV. (It wasn't a new episode; the BBC are currently repeating old episodes that were originally shown last September).

Anyway, there was a picture round of buildings that are leaning, and they were looking us to name the country they were in. To be honest, I didn't recognise any of the buildings, but it was obvious from the names where a few of them were.

One of the pictures was of a lighthouse called "Sharps Island Light". And when Richard Osman was going through the answers at the end, he told us it was in Chesapeake Bay.

What about that for a coincidence! Hearing Chesapeake Bay getting mentioned on the TV twice in a single week.

In case you are wondering, 8 of the 100 people surveyed knew it was in America.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you remember that it's the birthday of your cousin's daughter after seeing the post that @gsk8 put up for Carolina Moscheni's birthday (I found out a few years ago that they were born on exactly the same day).

I hope they both had a great day yesterday, and that they coming year is a good one for them both!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are delighted to discover that a building that you have passed many times is named after a figure skater. :jaw:

I've known the name of the building all along (hey, it's written in big letters on the side wall!), but I never made the connection to the skater.

It was only yesterday that everything fell into place. I was looking up the skating club that this skater belongs to, and one of the results was an architect's animation for an ice rink that unfortunately never came to fruition. And I was puzzled as to why the club would go to the expense of commissioning this. I looked up the architecture firm's website to see if there were any clues, and when I saw the company's address was in this building, the cogs in my head started turning. So I clicked through to the "About Us" page, and as soon as I saw the owner's name, the penny dropped. He is the skater's Dad.

An architect designed a building to be his company's headquarters, and named it after his eldest daughter, who is a figure skater.

That is so lovely! :love:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you weren't planning to watch the Platinum Jubilee Pageant (when I saw in the TV guide that the BBC broadcast was 4h 30m long, I decided it would be too long to watch), but you change your mind when you hear that Ice Dancer Atl Ongay-Perez would be taking part, playing his trumpet!

I think I spotted Atl, but it was very brief so I am not entirely sure.

But I definitely spotted 3 other skaters on the busses! :cheer:

When the 1950's bus arrived, we got some very good shots of Anita Harris, who unbelievably turned 80 on Friday (she looks amazing! :love: )

Fast forward a few decades, and we heard part of the PA Announcer listing who was on the 1980's bus, and among the names were Robin Cousins, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean. Well, unfortunately, they were on the other side of the bus to the TV camera, so all we saw was a quarter of Robin's face; the back of Chris' head; and none of Jayne (well, she is small after all, so was probably obscured by other people nearer the camera).

The busses did another lap at the end of the parade, and we again got a good shot of Anita, but again the camera was on the wrong side for the 1980's skaters. 😞

I was so angry with the BBC. The coverage started at 13:00, so I was kinda expecting the action to begin at 13:15. But it didn't start until 14:30! 😲 There was no need to have 1h 30m of people talking beforehand. I was already bored by 13:15, never mind an hour and a quarter later when the parade did finally start! :drama:

And then they had an hour of people talking after it finished! :jaw:

A 2h 30m broadcast with 15m either side of the parade would have been sufficient. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that saw the length of the broadcast, and decided not to bother.

So, thank you to @La Rhumba for mentioning Atl's participation in passing on her Twitter page. Because, based on that passing remark, I ended up having an enjoyable afternoon watching the pageant! :biggrin:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
...when you weren't planning to watch the Platinum Jubilee Pageant (when I saw in the TV guide that the BBC broadcast was 4h 30m long, I decided it would be too long to watch), but you change your mind when you hear that Ice Dancer Atl Ongay-Perez would be taking part, playing his trumpet!

I think I spotted Atl, but it was very brief so I am not entirely sure.

But I definitely spotted 3 other skaters on the busses! :cheer:

When the 1950's bus arrived, we got some very good shots of Anita Harris, who unbelievably turned 80 on Friday (she looks amazing! :love: )

Fast forward a few decades, and we heard part of the PA Announcer listing who was on the 1980's bus, and among the names were Robin Cousins, Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean. Well, unfortunately, they were on the other side of the bus to the TV camera, so all we saw was a quarter of Robin's face; the back of Chris' head; and none of Jayne (well, she is small after all, so was probably obscured by other people nearer the camera).

The busses did another lap at the end of the parade, and we again got a good shot of Anita, but again the camera was on the wrong side for the 1980's skaters. 😞

I was so angry with the BBC. The coverage started at 13:00, so I was kinda expecting the action to begin at 13:15. But it didn't start until 14:30! 😲 There was no need to have 1h 30m of people talking beforehand. I was already bored by 13:15, never mind an hour and a quarter later when the parade did finally start! :drama:

And then they had an hour of people talking after it finished! :jaw:

A 2h 30m broadcast with 15m either side of the parade would have been sufficient. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that saw the length of the broadcast, and decided not to bother.

So, thank you to @La Rhumba for mentioning Atl's participation in passing on her Twitter page. Because, based on that passing remark, I ended up having an enjoyable afternoon watching the pageant! :biggrin:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan
Glad you enjoyed! It was so colourful and entertaining wasn't it? 😍🥰

I wish I'd watched the whole thing on the red button livestream as I got so sick of the talking I switched over towards the end of the Pageant and saw some fantastic live music, a Trinidadian Steel Band and great soul singers, and that's when I caught a glimpse of TorvillandDean clapping along but still didn't see Robin Cousins, had no idea he was on the 1980s bus till I read your post! Saw plenty of Anita Harris though, looking amazing at 80! 👏👏👏

Ofcourse the highlight for me was seeing Atl's little face in his costume playing his Trumpet! Luckily Claire Balding actually said "Next it's Kinetico Bloco from South London" so I had my eyes peeled. But it was only a brief moment. Generally BBC coverage was poor. As usual with 3 or 4 Commentators at a time, just chatting amongst themselves instead of talking about the Pageant and what was happening.

But overall thought the Platinum Jubilee was amazing! All 4 days of it! 🥰🥰🥰

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you watch the first episode of Series 2 of "Space: 1999" (1976), and the first thing you think when you see the dress Catherine Schell is wearing is "Ooh, if that was a lot shorter, it would make a lovely figure skating dress".

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/48/f4/8e/48f48e417dee5c24ebc856def4005614--scifi-maya.jpg
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server...0408/283334__59260.1342528082.500.500.jpg?c=2

And before anybody starts jumping to conclusions, the reason I said that the dress needs shortened is that it would be far too dangerous to skate in if it remained at the original length.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you set an alarm to get up and refresh your browser because there is no livestream….and set another to watch junior pairs in a different comp.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
When on the Big screen DVR in the dining room you have made up your own comp with Marin, Mai and Rika and have edited out everything else. Then, when the noon news comes on, you have something important to watch..... :)
a rika.jpg