Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on a pop music ban for one season?

lyndichee

Medalist
I thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that popularity of the sport in a particular country directly correlate to champions produced by this country and pretty much nothing else. I have been trying in vain to involve my Irish friends into watching FS for ages but all I hear is this: well we used to watch FS when there were Torvill & Dean and then we kinda lost interest.
And then we have Japan, China, Russia, and lately Spain

I wouldn't say nothing else. I think beauty, drama and personalities factor a lot into it too. Figure skating is just a very complicated and detailed sport that is tough for people to learn as casual viewers so audiences gravitate to the parts they can easily relate to such as music. It is a challenge but I think marketing the sport in the right way can grow the fanbase. I think it would have to include more varieties of popular music to be used in programs to pique the interests of younger viewers.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Before you get excited or heartbroken, no, it is not the ISU directive for the new season - alas! It is only my dream, wishful thinking, a cry for sanity...
Yesterday I was re- watching some recordings from the last season (thanks to my Sky box) and noticed with annoyance that I have to mute too many performances - not really enjoying the result but better that than to hear once again wailing of Feeling Good and other pop 'masterpieces'. This morning I read that Isabelle Ollson chose 'I put a spell on you' for her short and that was the last straw where I was concerned. Even pop music has millions of pieces why to subject our ears (and the judges') to the same crab season after season.
I also observed that no classical music piece won the World Title in Boston across all four disciplines. Is classical music dead in FS for good or there is still a hope? The skaters have embraced allowed now vocals with gusto but it seems to have pushed classical music even further from the position it once enjoyed in figure skating. I dream of one (just one please!) season free of overused pop music and maybe even a compulsory choice of classical music for either short or long program - I know it sounds a bit too much. To clarify - I do not mind good contemporary music, some movie soundtracks are fantastic for instance. Your thoughts?

I think Pop Music can end up being really kitschy, but honestly - even though it's impossible - I would much rather classical music were banned for a season instead of pop music. It would force skaters to really not play it safe and come up with innovative programs that are outside their comfort zone.

Music is a key variable that can distinguish yourself and it's quite a pity when a skater (especially a seasoned skater) goes into a season thinking "How am I going to stand out this year? I know, Carmen!" :rolleye:

I'd rather see a skater expand their range and the range of figure skating in general - even if the music selection isn't conventional. Skating needs to be LESS conventional.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think Pop Music can end up being really kitschy, but honestly - even though it's impossible - I would much rather classical music were banned for a season instead of pop music. It would force skaters to really not play it safe and come up with innovative programs that are outside their comfort zone.

Music is a key variable that can distinguish yourself and it's quite a pity when a skater (especially a seasoned skater) goes into a season thinking "How am I going to stand out this year? I know, Carmen!" :rolleye:

I'd rather see a skater expand their range and the range of figure skating in general - even if the music selection isn't conventional. Skating needs to be LESS conventional.

Oh no we had so little classical music this past season. As I mentioned in some other post out of 38 ladies only two chose classical pieces for their short program in Boston. I think it is about as little as any hater would like. There are tons of classical music besides Carmen you know. Unusual, original, innovative choices can be made within classical repertoire. And there are already plenty of pop music warhorses as we all painfully aware :(

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh no we had so little classical music this past season. As I mentioned in some other post out of 38 ladies only two chose classical pieces for their short program in Boston. I think it is about as little as any hater would like. There are tons of classical music besides Carmen you know. Unusual, original, innovative choices can be made within classical repertoire. And there are already plenty of pop music warhorses as we all painfully aware :(

Yeah, I'm not amused by all the Muse, for example.

Does the disco version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony pass the music ban? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ouMaLRth-s

How about the disco version of "Toccata" By Walter Murphy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsbHWDwNn0

I ought to hate that. ;) But actually, it's no worse than any disco music from the 70s. It is probably how Bach and Beethoven would have composed if they had been blessed to live in the age of synthesizers.

At least these cheerful versions do not overwhelm the skater, the way the real thing does for these two particular tunes especially. I don't think I have ever seen a skate to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony to Bach's Toccata and Fugue where the performer added anything to the music standing alone.

Here are a couple of classical pieces that would actually be great skating music. I am pretty sure no one has ever tried them.

1. Kalinnikov's first symphony, second movement. (Kalinnikov would have been greater than Mahler if he hadn't died young.

2. Hummel's first piano concerto, first movement. (Johann Nepomuk Hummel was named after the saint Johann Nepomuk who was martyred in 14th century Bohemia when Good King Wenceslaus threw him into the Vltava river because Johann wouldn't tell the king what the queen had confessed to in confessional. All this can be acted out in the choreography of a long program. :yes: )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I ought to hate that. ;) But actually, it's no worse than any disco music from the 70s. It is probably how Bach and Beethoven would have composed if they had been blessed to live in the age of synthesizers.

At least these cheerful versions do not overwhelm the skater, the way the real thing does for these two particular tunes especially. I don't think I have ever seen a skate to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony to Bach's Toccata and Fugue where the performer added anything to the music standing alone.

Here are a couple of classical pieces that would actually be great skating music. I am pretty sure no one has ever tried them.

1. Kalinnikov's first symphony, second movement. (Kalinnikov would have been greater than Mahler if he hadn't died young.

2. Hummel's first piano concerto, first movement. (Johann Nepomuk Hummel was named after the saint Johann Nepomuk who was martyred in 14th century Bohemia when Good King Wenceslaus threw him into the Vltava river because Johann wouldn't tell the king what the queen had confessed to in confessional. All this can be acted out in the choreography of a long program. :yes: )

but the hummel concerto has nothing to do with that side story... music can have programs, but assigning one based on what the composer was named after and that is clearly not part of the composition is travesty, almost equal to making bach and beethoven disco versions ;)

signed 4everchan ie do not mess with classical music ;)

Rissa

Record Breaker

Nah, at least Beethoven would have gone metal.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Nothing to do with pop music bans but - tut tut, that's another Wenceslas, the one from the carol lived several centuries earlier than that. If you were just teasing with the title, just ignore this, I'm sometimes not so good at recognizing irony. :]

Nothing to do with pop music bans but - tut tut, that's another Wenceslas, the one from the carol lived several centuries earlier than that. If you were just teasing with the title, just ignore this, I'm sometimes not so good at recognizing irony. :]

Thanks for the info. No, not teasing. Sometimes I get my Wenceslases mixed up. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^It makes me think of Love Actually, when Hugh Grant's Prime Minister is looking for the girl he loves and a woman mistakes them for carolers.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Peaceful but sounds more suitable for night music. :)

So is Ave Maria, the workhorse. I think practically any music can be skated to. I love Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel but I've never could imagined it in FS. But here it was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNm_FLTPmdQ

But none that is quite so "this music was made for skating." :)

Then again, there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIhNgTR2qM

You have a soft spot for Carmen though I can tell :) All this primitive passions yeah I can see the attraction for skaters. Not being fond of Bizet's masterpiece myself I would gladly endure it in FS if it weren't so overused.
Here is a new idea, how about we introduce a quota system for workhorses lets say: only one Carmen per discipline per season allowed? Skaters will have to queue for a privilege to portray Carmen on ice. No idea how to handle it - who is more deserving? First in first served? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here is a new idea, how about we introduce a quota system for workhorses lets say: only one Carmen per discipline per season allowed? Skaters will have to queue for a privilege to portray Carmen on ice. No idea how to handle it - who is more deserving? First in first served? Any thoughts?

LOL. It could be like the powerball lottery, all the skaters get their picture on one of the balls, and whoever's ball is randomly selected wins.

"And the winner of the 2016-17 Carmen lottery is...."

(Disclaimer: please, nobody take this post seriously)

Tutto

Record Breaker
LOL. It could be like the powerball lottery, all the skaters get their picture on one of the balls, and whoever's ball is randomly selected wins.

"And the winner of the 2016-17 Carmen lottery is...."

(Disclaimer: please, nobody take this post seriously)

:laugh2:

Okay how about this: shortlisted candidates are to submit essays outlining why they are the best for the role. A special ISU committee to make a final decision...