2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Short Program

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stephen was also great! I like that they didn't put in 2 quads but went safe and it pays off

But seeing him get higher pcs than Conrad and Joseph... Ehhh. Skating order/hype matters.

Jo also had the fall. And Stephen is arguably more polished than Conrad. But, yeah, you're not wrong.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Ok, real talk you guys, it was 100% Nicolas Nadeau at the 2017 nationals that got me to actually sit down and watch real figure skating seriously. I would do anything for him. If he wanted to use my body as a springboard for his 3A I would totes let him. It kills me every time he makes a mistake that prevents him from winning things. Well, I'll always be there to watch him whenever he skates.

I know how you feel :(
I really enjoy his skating, and I love his Depeche Mode FS! Hope he has some redemption

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I knew not to expect much from Nic because of the back injury, but that was painful to watch. :cry:

sowcow

On the Ice
Could Nic have attempted the 3-axel again; since he technically didn't take off (i.e. he did NOT actually leave the ice)?
That's the way it used to be waaaay back. I recall people re-trying triple loops IF they slipped off their edge on their first attempt...

Anybody know?

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, likely. But yeah, if he doesn't skate his best, Stephen is capable of winning.

It wouldn't be terrible if Gogolev won, but I'd like to see one of the older guys win. Gogolev has beautiful jumps, but the skating skills, speed, finesse and just senior level skating are still not there (understandably, as he's only just 14 years old). His spins may hit the levels, but they are weak GOE-wise. I think it would benefit him to have a few more years without the national championship pressure.

Poor Nic Nadeau. Tough skate. He looked tight from the start. That axel never got off the ground and the program never sparkled from there.

Ziotic

Medalist
Could Nic have attempted the 3-axel again; since he technically didn't take off (i.e. he did NOT actually leave the ice)?
That's the way it used to be waaaay back. I recall people re-trying triple loops IF they slipped off their edge on their first attempt...

Anybody know?
Don’t think so. Radionova did it once and they dinged her for it.

It’s more about intent.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Jo also had the fall. And Stephen is arguably more polished than Conrad. But, yeah, you're not wrong.

I agree as well, but Keegan does need to be clean to win this, at least in the free. It feels like there’s a lot of momentum behind Gogolev — he’s brought Canada it’s only significant medal this season in men’s. But at this rate, Gogolev is going to peak before seniors, at least if the hype train runs him over.

Metis

Record Breaker

Anybody know?

No. That waxel would absolutely be counted as a “jump attempt,” which blocks a jumping pass the same way an executed jump does.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Roman seems unable to recover after his first mistake, poor guy :( lovely program that is

(that's not really, I guess, since he did the 3A and spins :) but that stumble in the footwork was sad)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was looking at the protocols. It looks like so far the judges aren't super generous with GOE's no plus 4 or 5. Can anyone score over 100 in the absence of Patrick Chan?

Metis

Record Breaker
I feel like Roman could win if he could do nothing but Salchows. Remember the 4S-1Eu-3S?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh Roman... :bang: I'll always adore your skating no matter what, but why do you insist on tormenting me so?