Todd Sand recovering after heart attack in Calgary | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Todd Sand recovering after heart attack in Calgary

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just clicked on the link and they've passed the $100K mark in about a day with 800+ donors. I hope they are able to reach the 500K goal. I see lots of familiar names in the comments. Nice to see the skating community rallying around Todd and his family. I hope he's out of the ICU soon and on the road to recovery.

I plan to donate anonymously a small amount. I'm sure every bit helps.
Its actually better to get lots of people giving $10 than a few giving $100. The way you do that is with social media. What if MK/Yuna posted a message with them holding a $10 bill and saying, "Hey , not saying I didnt give more but can you at least not get a latte and donut today for Todd? " Kind of a Todd Challege thing.... The givers actually get more feel good moments by donating to many, smaller donation charities...ask me how I know this... :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Its actually better to get lots of people giving $10 than a few giving $100. The way you do that is with social media. What if MK/Yuna posted a message with them holding a $10 bill and saying, "Hey , not saying I didnt give more but can you at least not get a latte and donut today for Todd? " Kind of a Todd Challege thing.... The givers actually get more feel good moments by donating to many, smaller donation charities...ask me how I know this... :)
Social media posts from well-known skaters would be great way to spread the word, even though there are lots of small donations on the site already. They're up to almost $131K. :clap:

Country
Norway
Wow this is really sad to read, it sounds serious when he is in the ICU. Praying for the best 🙏

When I read the news that he was admitted the hospital I expected him to be fine, because he got the hospital in time so I thought they had caught it in a early enough stage. A such fit man, I thought he would be out in no time.

My father just had a small heart attack 1,5 weeks ago. So just before the news about Todds heart attack. It was a couple of scary days for me.

It was a so called NSTEMI, it means it was a smaller heart attack caught early with a partial blockage and nothing obvious on his ECG. His main symptom was trouble with his breath. He went to the doctors already a week before, took a lot of test, including ECG, but nothing alarming came back. When he still wasn´t feeling better from the medicine he got (asthma), he went back one week after and pushed a little on the doctor to get checked properly since he before had a small heart attack in 2010 and recognized some of the same symptoms. He went to the hospital for more test, where they suspected it was a small heart attack.

He was admitted on Monday last week, on Wednesday he did a PCI and got the artery blocked out, and already on Thursday he could go home and he was feeling much better.

My father is not a fit man, he has multiple risk factors, but he was lucky it was caught before it got too serious. Apparently he first noticed something was off in December, so a heart attack can start showing symptoms months before,. He already used medicine like blood thinner, so it may have contributed to that he was able to walk around with a partial blockage for some time.

Life is so fragile. My father got lucky despite he has all the risk factors and then still there are healthy and fit people who aren´t so lucky and get a serious heart attack that may have a fatal outcome.

Hopefully Todd is in the best hands and has a strong body that will be able to fight this🙏

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is great how people are trying to help. I am not sure what the situation is but I am hoping also insurance will kick in. Being in another country even one as close as Canada there can be a lot of costs for even the loved ones to travel and stay near him. But at least Todd is in good hands; Canada has some of the best medical professionals in the world and very high standards. Keep positive and prayerful.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks RA Murphy for the update, just a note for those who might not have Instagram, the post from TeamToddandJenni:

Our family is absolutely blown away by the love and support from all over the World. Todd continues to be treated in the Cardiac ICU in Calgary, Alberta where he is surrounded by an amazing group of doctors and nurses. We are here with him every step of the way.

In true Todd form he’s shown the true meaning of fight and determination over the past 10 days. I keep reminding him to fight…”one thing at a time”. We’ve listened to hours and hours of Tom Petty…I think I might even be a fan now.

Yesterday was a very big day as they were able to remove the ventilator. We still have a long journey ahead of us. Our hope is to get him strong enough to move back to the U.S to continue his hospital care. We know he will need extensive rehab as well. He’s a fighter and we are all here cheering him on.

Please continue to pray for his continued improvements.
Much love,
Jenni, Jack and Matthew

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is just like Sergei Grinkov. Olympic Champion in "Seemingly" perfect health. You truly never know.
The sad thing is that his father died of a heart attack in 1991. (Her father died of a heart attack in what? 2008?)

Medicine and screening has changed a whole lot in 30 years...
From wiki. On 20 November 1995, Grinkov collapsed and died from a massive heart attack in Lake Placid, New York, while he and Gordeeva were practicing for the upcoming 1995–1996 Stars on Ice tour.[1][10] Doctors found that Grinkov had severely clogged coronary arteries (to the point where his arterial opening was reportedly the size of a pinhole), which caused the heart attack; later testing revealed that he also had a genetic risk factor linked with premature heart attacks. The risk factor is called the PLA-2 variant and is also known as the "Grinkov Risk Factor."[11]

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The sad thing is that his father died of a heart attack in 1991. (Her father died of a heart attack in what? 2008?)

Medicine and screening has changed a whole lot in 30 years...
From wiki. On 20 November 1995, Grinkov collapsed and died from a massive heart attack in Lake Placid, New York, while he and Gordeeva were practicing for the upcoming 1995–1996 Stars on Ice tour.[1][10] Doctors found that Grinkov had severely clogged coronary arteries (to the point where his arterial opening was reportedly the size of a pinhole), which caused the heart attack; later testing revealed that he also had a genetic risk factor linked with premature heart attacks. The risk factor is called the PLA-2 variant and is also known as the "Grinkov Risk Factor."[11]
When the news came out about Todd's heart attack, Sergei Grinkov was the first person that came to my mind. I really hesitated to post about it because -- even though genetics may not be in play here -- I couldn't bear the thought of another tragedy like that. 😢

Continued prayers for Todd & Jenni!

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Well at Todd's age and his probable fairly good physical shape, genetics can't be ruled out. I mentioned before that my son had a heart attack at 55 after he had come home from working out at the gym. He's been an athlete all his life, never smoked, has never been overweight, not particularly stressed about work, etc. and the doctor said it was totally genetics. They even said the only way the problem could have been detected is with an angiogram and nothing pointed to the need for that test. So - moral to the story is to live each day to its fullest, tell the ones you love how you feel about them, and enjoy your life. It sounds like Todd is trending toward being healthy again. Let's hope the trend continues.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ This is so good to hear! Thanks for sharing. 👍

Continued prayers for Todd's full recovery 🙏 Wishing for strength and comfort to all his loved ones, friends, supporters, and students. Sending a special shout-out for strength to Alexa & Brandon as they prepare to defend their World championship this week. 🌌