2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Mens Free Skate

Eloyse

On the Ice
I always felt that the 10's he gets is usually because the judges are desperate to differentiate him from the up and coming skaters - not necessarily because of his overwhelming performance quality :scratch3:

But is it fair? If the up and coming skaters are better than him performance wise, then they should be getting higher scores. I know how PCSs are handed out in practice, I know that even if Uno Shoma (for example) has far superior performance skills than Fernandez, he will still get 7,8 points less than Fernandez gets in PCS. But I am just so sick of this never ending fernanflation. People say that "oh the judges need to guarantee that he enters the gpf, because it is held in Barcelona!" or "he's the reigning world champion so surely he will get PCS inflation" as if these are legitimate reasons.:dbana:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
At home lookin' all fine..........;)

And while Rafael's doing that, Adam ends up just missing out on a bronze medal. :(

Whenever I see Javier and Adam in the same competition, I can't help but wonder what "might have been" had Adam stuck it out with Orser.

Very happy though for the top three. And glad to see that Adam changed some of his LP music; IMO, it's much improved now. Nice costume change too; gives him a better silhouette on the ice.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
So far this season PCS 10s count:

Patrick eight 10s (LP SC x8)
Javi seven 10s (SP CoC x1, SP CoR x2, LP CoR x4)

The rest no 10s yet....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No surprise Javier won; I do think he is marked a little too generously. Nice for Miner fans sad for Rippon so so so close to that podium. I wonder if Jeremy Abbott will try to skate at nationals - somehow you would think Max and Jason have two spots and then you have a dog fight rippon, miner, Dornbush, Grant, Chen, et al.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No surprise Javier won; I do think he is marked a little too generously. Nice for Miner fans sad for Rippon so so so close to that podium. I wonder if Jeremy Abbott will try to skate at nationals - somehow you would think Max and Jason have two spots and then you have a dog fight rippon, miner, Dornbush, Grant, Chen, et al.

Jeremy already said he would not be skating this season, including at nationals.

Jason just WD from NHK, so until we hear more, his status might be in question.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
From the protocol , Ross fell on 4S and got -4 goe (10.5 - 4 =6.50). Could I check why Javi 4S popped to 2S and fell got -0.6 goe (1.43x - 0.6 = 0.83)?

Javier got straight -3 across the board for falling on the 2S (as it should be), but remember, the marks that judges give are factored depending on the BV of the element. Higher BV = higher deduction, lover BV = lower deduction. Straight -3 from the judges on a quad will result in -4 points, while straight -3 from the judges on a 2S will result on -0.6 points. It depends on the jump you attempt.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I think Javier improved a lot since last season so I don't mind him getting 10 for PCS if the skate was great. I think that his SP (when performed well) is totally spectacular, 10 should belong there. But I find that he works more intense in LP this season, I really see a progress there. I don't think there were PCS close to his in quality on this event from those who could be on podium at least.

julie17

Rinkside
I agree totally with the podium placements. I am baffled by Nam's PCS scores and also very irritated. I agree with many here that Nam's FP is ill-suited for him at this time, but a full 20 points behind the winner in PCS and 8th out of 10 (whilst being only 4 points behind and in second place in the TES). I understand the shenanigans with the PCS scores goes on, but this just seems over the top for me. Am I missing something with this particular incident? Are the judges sending some tough love?

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Javier got straight -3 across the board for falling on the 2S (as it should be), but remember, the marks that judges give are factored depending on the BV of the element. Higher BV = higher deduction, lover BV = lower deduction. Straight -3 from the judges on a quad will result in -4 points, while straight -3 from the judges on a 2S will result on -0.6 points. It depends on the jump you attempt.

Thanks Xibsuarz for the explanation.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Kolyada was so fun to watch. He knows how to DANCE!

Congratulations to the podium finishers; Javier, Pitkeev, Miner.

slider11

Medalist
ughhh...can't believe the switcherooo with Rippon to Miner for bronze. Are the computers not working? Is there any other sport where the numbers would be switched after the event was over? If Rippon had any chance for the GPF, it's over now. I know it wasn't that strong to catch 6th place, but still. If nothing else, this will make Adam a sympathetic figure for the Nationals. I would think Miner would be somewhat embarrassed to stand on the podium. I know many Ross fans will disagree but this is generally not how sport works.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ughhh...can't believe the switcherooo with Rippon to Miner for bronze. Are the computers not working? Is there any other sport where the numbers would be switched after the event was over? If Rippon had any chance for the GPF, it's over now. I know it wasn't that strong to catch 6th place, but still. If nothing else, this will make Adam a sympathetic figure for the Nationals. I would think Miner would be somewhat embarrassed to stand on the podium. I know many Ross fans will disagree but this is generally not how sport works.

If Ross was supposed to get level 4 and they made a mistake, why should Ross be embarrassed about it? It is within the rules to request a call and I don't blame Ross and his team (if they were indeed the ones to bring it up) to make the case, especially since the scores were close.

FWIW, this kind of thing does happen, though not often. Other examples include Virtue and Moir being called the wrong level at the FD in 2011-2012 GPF and Pechalat and Bourzat arguing a deduction they received in the SD at 2013 Cup of China. In both cases, it did not really change the result, ultimately (but I think Virtue and Moir did win the FD as a result).

Also as Jackie Wong pointed out, the results are unofficial. It's a little detail that is lost on most (namely because it's not mentioned at elite events), but if you listen to a USFSA event (like Sectionals) or sometimes at a club competition-- they will mention at the end of the event that the results are unofficial. I believe they do this so they can make one last check. Usually the unofficial results match the official results, but occasionally there are cases like this. So it's not like Ross and his team (or whoever called it) caused a change to the official results.

And stuff like that does happen in other sports. Sometimes in a photo finish in a track meet, they'll name one winner, but then a second look they'll give it to the other person. So does that mean that winner should be embarrassed?

Last edited:

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
Ok, my apologies if this was already asked, but does anyone know where Raf is? He wasn't with any of his skaters that were in sectionals either that I could find. I'm just kinda curious

mrrice

Record Breaker
Raf no doubt is hard at work getting Ashley ready for NHK next week, where the GPF is at stake for her.
Ashley will be facing Mao and others at NHK.

I saw earlier in the thread that Nathan's training for the JGPF was mentioned.

But I don't know whether people remembered also that a much more immediate goal for Team Raf would be success at NHK for Ashley.

You're right. I always forget that Raf is coaching 2 of the biggest US figure skaters.