2016 Worlds Pairs Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds Pairs Short Program

FSGMT

Record Breaker
From your nickname I can tell you will strongly disagree, but I simply did not find them at all better than the other top teams (S/K, Sui/Han, even D/R tonight skated wonderfully). And, yes, I have seen them live many times, and I still do not think they are that impressive: very very good, yes, but definitely not head and shoulders above the rest, especially with a mistake vs a super clean performance from the Chinese team

lavender

Record Breaker
Megan and Eric certainly have the tech but I just get into their skating at all. Sui and Han were awesome and I actually enjoyed the 2nd rank Russian team S/K. Love their program. For the first time I get Alex and Chris. Nice short program.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Now because people complain about PCS, the judges decided it's time to alter the TES. Why not? So, you get a season's best with a completely unsynchronized jump and a fall. What should I understand now, is that all season S/K kept falling twice in their program?

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just rewatched P/Z... Damn that fall was scary :eeking: :hopelessness: Poor Peng, I feel she's been thrown around so much this season... Zhang is a very strong man.

They should have gone with Yu and Jin. P/Z are lucky to be in the top 2 flights. Hope she's okay after that fall.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Frankly speaking, I expected Sui/Han to get 82...80 is good, but my expectation is a bit high.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Now because people complain about PCS, the judger decided it's time to alter the TES. Why not? So, you get a season's best with a completely unsynchronized jump and a fall. What should I understand now, is that all season S/K kept falling twice in their program?

This season has been defined by PCS invariably not reflecting technical output/cleanliness of a performance. Just look at men's with Chan and Fernandez's PCS with falls.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Frankly speaking, I expected Sui/Han to get 82...80 is good, but my expectation is a bit high.

Well, it's almost 81. ;) After 4CC, 80.85 made sense for the same program with the same elements (actually two level 3s on the twist and spins, compared to 4CC with just a level 3 StSq). Their PCS was also very high (deservedly), almost as high as V/T (as expected, the highest PCS, even with the error).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm actually very moved by the fact that Sui and Han are leading - during whole program I've had chills, they are the reason I got interested in pairs segment and it's visible they're moving lots of other people.

First of all - she is made from steel and he's made from gold - there is no other such fierce and reckless female in pairs and he is proving his class and skill as a partner each time he skates. Since I saw this program first time at Chinese trials I fell irrevocably in love in choreography, chemistry, step sequence, unity with the music and now, almost at the end of the season, I'm glad that so many people fell in love too judging on the crowd reaction (and judges' scores).

Today was the best showing of the program yet, hands down - not only all elements were nailed to the T, but EVERY single transition between elements was complimentary with the music to isane level: lift entrance, slow descending into death spiral, all sequence leading to te twist (with my favorite kick)...The twist was particulary magnificent for me among elements - maybe it was due to camera angle, but it almost seemed like she's doing a throw tano jump (which is another level of insanity). Also the step sequence was stellar - so much sharpness, fierceness, proper expression. Overall I feel like they really improved the level of sharpness of the whole performance since 4cc and boy, it shown...

And probably the most important - in my opinion their chemistry, ability to interpret and express music/choreography and attack is the best in the World right now, no other team can draw me in this much into their performance. Well deserved new PB, generally I have no problem with judging today, would add only a 1 pt-1,5 pts more between Sui/Han and Duhamel Ratford and between Savchenko/Massot and Stolbova/Klimov.

Praying circles worked magic once, I can die happy now :cheer:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Y'all would've complained about Alexa and Chris's score being overinflated no matter what it was. :laugh2:

How can TES even be inflated? Their elements are all really great except for the SBS! I'd give out GOE like candy on the pairs spin, throw, and twist.

Oh come on! They were gifted 6th! They've got poor skating skills, & their program's so boring. In addition, despite being an engaged couple, they've no connection whatsoever to each other - or the music.

whatif

Medalist
From your nickname I can tell you will strongly disagree, but I simply did not find them at all better than the other top teams (S/K, Sui/Han, even D/R tonight skated wonderfully). And, yes, I have seen them live many times, and I still do not think they are that impressive: very very good, yes, but definitely not head and shoulders above the rest, especially with a mistake vs a super clean performance from the Chinese team

They have that PChan effect on judges when it comes to PCS. They just have the best skating skills and ice presence among all teams. They will always beat competition on PCS when they go clean. They can skate to JLo or simply walk on the ice, it won't matter. Besides tonight they were actually better than anyone else by a mile and yet judges still put them close to the leader. So it is a matter of taste, after all.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sui&Han got perfect GOEs for their stsq with level 4!!! :love:

rightly so - the only team now who can make an art and separate event from step sequence :dance2:

I am over the moon, period

TatiMax

On the Ice

I support them but know not everyone support same team. It is your own opinion why would I strongly disagree?
I am not into scores in figure skating so much in general. It is a light sport with subjective judging. I watch to enjoy art.
I like Tatiana and Maxim effort to make different routines, they have many routines each routine tells a different story.

bobbob

Medalist
Ah, didn't realize their PCS was personal best. I was only looking at it in relation to the other teams, where it makes more sense.

PCS should go down with a fall, which significantly impacts transitions, performance, execution, and timing. Without a fall, I think it is conceivable S/K could have gotten a PCS of about 35 given the judges affinity toward them today. Without their fall, the could have ahead of V/T which is not fair and inconceivable to me.

andromache

Record Breaker
Oh come on! They were gifted 6th! They've got poor skating skills, & their program's so boring. In addition, despite being an engaged couple, they've no connection whatsoever to each other - or the music.

I was only referring to the accusation that their TES was inflated. They were penalized -3 across the board for the fall, and were rewarded for the elements they're good at.

As for PCS, well, they received the same PCS as Tarasova/Morozov, which seems right to me. T/M have better SS, but S/K emote more and are more exciting to watch. It balances out to about the same.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 80.85 1 video
2 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 78.18 2 video
3 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV RUS 77.13 3 video
4 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT GER 74.22 4 video
5 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 73.98 5 video
6 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS 72.00 6 video
7 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA 71.37 7 video
8 Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 68.17 8 video
9 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 66.69 9 video
10 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINARO CAN 66.06 10 video
11 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 65.32 11 video
12 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 60.01 12 video
13 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 59.76 13 video
14 Tarah KAYNE / Daniel O SHEA USA 59.27 14 video
15 Xuehan WANG / Lei WANG CHN 57.32 15 video
16 Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOV FRA 52.78 16 video
17 Goda BUTKUTE / Nikita ERMOLAEV LTU 51.65 17 video
18 Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Noah SCHERER SUI 49.32 18 video
19 Adel TANKOVA / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI ISR 46.81 19 video
20 Tatiana DANILOVA / Mikalai KAMIANCHUK BLR 45.56 20 video
21 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUT 45.31 21 video
22 Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU AUDET JPN 38.50 22 video

andromache

Record Breaker
PCS should go down with a fall, which significantly impacts transitions, performance, execution, and timing. Without a fall, I think it is conceivable S/K could have gotten a PCS of about 35 given the judges affinity toward them today. Without their fall, the could have ahead of V/T which is not fair and inconceivable to me.

PCS should go down with a fall but almost never does, let's be honest here. V/T would've likely scored the same PCS with a fall.

liv

Record Breaker
I have a little trouble with the Americans having a higher tech mark than t/m....