2016 Skate Canada Ladies FP | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Ladies FP

yuki

Final Flight
Because she beat Osmond in Skate Canada, that's why.
Plus, I'm sure many were hoping that this season she would fall apart when clearly she is maturing nicely.
Much of it IS anti-Russian. That alone is "getting old".

Again, this has nothing to do with it. This program has been criticized from the first time she performed it at the Russian test skates.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I think Med's program is fine if her music editor would simply remove the voiceovers and sound clips. It was utterly unnecessary, and would be a rather simple 'fix'.

The phone ring at the end can go too lol, the hand gesture and her O-face are more then enough to convey the message.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Again, this has nothing to do with it. This program has been criticized from the first time she performed it at the Russian test skates.
There are plenty of skaters who have used music based on films about World wars & controversial subjects, this is no different.
Why can't she use it ?. Films have been made about it. I see no difference.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The phone ring at the end can go too lol, the hand gesture and her O-face are more then enough to convey the message.

I wonder though if it were possible to overdub Yuzu's voice in place of the 911 drama throughout the program and then in the end voice him over as the one calling up Zhenia. Could we go as far as to include video on the Jumbotron or is that finally the straw that breaks the camels back in regards to Zhenia's plot to steal all the points in the world. :laugh:

yuki

Final Flight
There are plenty of skaters who have used music based on films about World wars & controversial subjects, this is no different.

It's not that she is not allowed to use it, it is that the program is poorly thought out and the real-life sounds used during the step sequence push it into offensive territory (an easy fix that Averbukh nevertheless refuses to make, I wonder why...). I don't intend to reiterate all the points that have been made in criticizing this program, as there have been many and most of them are valid. What I wanted to point out is that dismissing all such criticism is counterproductive and shuts off discussion.

Another thing: there are two sides to a program , the concept and the execution/choreography. When the concept concerns a controversial/sensitive subject, you'd better make sure that there are no missteps in the execution, because you are already walking a very thin line. Otherwise the program falls flat or worse, risks becoming insulting instead of respectful and poignant. Averbukh's program is the latest example, but for instance I had many of the same issues with Guignard/Fabbri's FD to Schindler's List from last year.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
It's not that she is not allowed to use it, it is that the program is poorly thought out and the real-life sounds used during the step sequence push it into offensive territory (an easy fix that Averbukh nevertheless refuses to make, I wonder why...). I don't intend to reiterate all the points that have been made in criticizing this program, as there have been many and most of them are valid. What I wanted to point out is that dismissing all such criticism is counterproductive and shuts off discussion.

Another thing: there are two sides to a program , the concept and the execution/choreography. When the concept concerns a controversial/sensitive subject, you'd better make sure that there are no missteps in the execution, because you are already walking a very thin line. Otherwise the program falls flat or worse, risks becoming insulting instead of respectful and poignant. Averbukh's program is the latest example, but for instance I had many of the same issues with Guignard/Fabbri's FD to Schindler's List from last year.
The main problem is figure skating in general. How many times have we seen a young skater skate to a program that is based on a film/book/opera but they have zero understanding of what it is about. They are sometimes to immature to fully "get" what adult emotions are involved. This is not Evgenia's fault but those in charge of her. I personally have no problem with the concept of the program & feel it is being used as a stick to beat the girl with.
My problem is giving young skaters programs that are way beyond their years.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The matter of tastes - I did not find the program boring. Quite the opposite in fact - it was like watching a dramatic short movie. She may become a good actress post FS, I think. No one else was close to that last night. The only other person who told me a story rather than skating from one element to another was Satoko. I am accused sometimes as being too pro-Russian. I dismiss that. And I would say plain and simple that Liza looked ridiculous in her outfit and I saw no Cleopatra but the very same Liza doing her usual routine. Why they went that route I don't know.

And yes, I agree we don't know how she is going to be affected by the growth. She will be 17 next month. Radionova's issues started when she hit 17. But Anna P. seems to cope with the growth. Then we have Yulia. Well, it's not clear. Medvedeva may be at the peak of the growth issues during the Olympics - or she may be immune to them. I hope for the latter.

For me it's the individual skater I support and not the country they come from. The skaters from my own country are lacklustre in the singles category so I have no one to support there anyway. My favourites in this cycle are actually two russians Anna and Elena. And I like Evgenia. I just don't like her programs, but yeah it comes down to individual tastes. My wish is probably for Anna to take Gold at the Olympics and the only chance for that seems if Evgenia enters puberty. But it's cruel to wish her misfortune, so I'm really okay with the best woman winning the Olympics. Whoever that is on that night, I'm sure it will be deserved because we are in South Korea and they have no contender.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I know the reason. Because this was in US. Because the US citizens weren't in that situation when the war was in their territory against a foreign enemy. They were and are in shock. In Europe were constantly wars...

I really believe the jew people will have sadness, heartbreak, outrage, forever!! because of the Holocaust. But the US posters don't think to make a Holocaust program is so outrageous...

yuki

Final Flight
The main problem is figure skating in general. How many times have we seen a young skater skate to a program that is based on a film/book/opera but they have zero understanding of what it is about. They are sometimes to immature to fully "get" what adult emotions are involved. This is not Evgenia's fault but those in charge of her.

Very much agree and I've never blamed Evgenia for any of the issues I have with this program.

I personally have no problem with the concept of the program & feel it is being used as a stick to beat the girl with.
My problem is giving young skaters programs that are way beyond their years.

I do. Human tragedy should never be used as backdrop for over-the-top melodrama. It's cynical and manipulative (IMO, of course). I really wish Evgenia's team would reconsider this program, but they probably won't.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Very much agree and I've never blamed Evgenia for any of the issues I have with this program.

I do. Human tragedy should never be used as backdrop for over-the-top melodrama. It's cynical and manipulative (IMO, of course). I really wish Evgenia's team would reconsider this program, but they probably won't.
If we stay away from programs about human tragedy then I think it's wrong. Sometimes a truly beautiful program can be a tribute.

applemango

Rinkside

Many movies, songs, and artists have used human tragedy for an over-the-top melodrama. It's unfair for a 16 year old kid to be unjustly picked on.

rollerblade

Record Breaker

I didn't say the gesture should go. I said the phone ringing sound effects should. >_>

I wonder though if it were possible to overdub Yuzu's voice in place of the 911 drama throughout the program and then in the end voice him over as the one calling up Zhenia. Could we go as far as to include video on the Jumbotron or is that finally the straw that breaks the camels back in regards to Zhenia's plot to steal all the points in the world. :laugh:

Only if Pooh can join! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R44gau0NBds

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Katarina Witt's tribute to the people of Sarajevo with Where Have All The Flowers Gone is the perfect example of a beautiful program with true feelings.

yuki

Final Flight
Many movies, songs, and artists have used human tragedy for an over-the-top melodrama. It's unfair for a 16 year old kid to be unjustly picked on.

This is a FS forum, so this is what we are discussing here. Other people doing this does not somehow validate it. Also, please show me where exactly I've picked on Evgenia.

Last edited:

applemango

Rinkside
This is a FS forum, so this is what we are discussing here. Other people doing this does not somehow validate it. Also, please show me where exactly I've picked on Evgenia.

Yeah, this is an FS forum - of which people have been talking about Evgenia program - in relation to something other than FS. So when is it ok to point out things outside the FS world?

yuki

Final Flight
Yeah, this is an FS forum - of which people have been talking about Evgenia program - in relation to something other than FS. So when is it ok to point out things outside the FS world?
Averbukh chose to base this program on a real-life tragedy. I'm not sure what point you are trying to prove.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
...BTW, Katerina Witt did this before her, did it BETTER, and did it AT THE OLYMPICS. If you want to do a poignant program on a subject that is hard, go look at her's, then go look at Med's. COMPLETELY different. "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" has all the emotional impact Averbukh and Med would WISH this program had. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GrhyrZOdtM

You know, Witt was then 28, Medvedeva is still 16.