2016 Cup of China Ladies SP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Ladies SP

matcha

Medalist
Self-aware queen:

Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010 2h2 hours ago
VERY LUCKY with that score and I know it. I'll earn it tomorrow, don't worry🙃 #keepclimbing #warpainton

I need to watch all the skates but reading the comments about Rika being lowballed got me like :(

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Katlyn Osmond has everything to be one top of the podium IMO,she has big jumps, dry high and Powell, with good flow, very fast in speed great spin and good skating skills. Her presence on ice is just top notch,reaching to the last row of the arena. I watched her live in three compititions and just fall in love with this girl. She is now under control, of like the first time I saw her,a bit wild at that time. I have high hope for her!
I think Zijun Li has been low balled big time.
On a side note, Chinese girls have very good axel take of,no pre-rotation , or like most Japanese skater who often have more than a quarter predication. But this little Japanese skate skated lovely otherwise!

Radionova's posture seems improved or the program does a good job working with it. I love her personality on ice but her skating used to bather me , but this program is fine . Congratulations!

I love Zijun's SP this season and this to me could have been 31 points on the second mark, but her landings are so tight, UR most of the time. (that's probably why judges aren't rewarding her)

Kaetlyn is great but to give such a big score, i would like to see a completely clean program from her, with no stumbles, no extra turns coming out of the jumps, no falls.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
And I thought Ashley was the most gifted here lol More like poor Rika and Zijun... I even expected Zijun would get the push here but too bad for her.

Of course she didn't do well, but I still feel sorry for her and want her in the GPF. Of course Rika and Zijun deserve more than that was given.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Self-aware queen:

VERY LUCKY with that score and I know it. I'll earn it tomorrow, don't worry🙃 #keepclimbing #warpainton

I need to watch all the skates but reading the comments about Rika being lowballed got me like :(
well judging by the recent Raf interview & them having seen the support for Gold over the years made Ash self aware
Big kudos to her & good luck in the free!:clap:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Even Brit Eurosport commentators said that it's to generous. I'm pretty intrested how she got marked on the lutz and flip, cause for me both are !

Umm...don't know what you heard but I just watched the Brits and the commentator said, "the judges haven't been over kind to Kaetlyn Osmond", meaning, ...in their opinion, she was not over-scored here. Perhaps you should re-watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4rmBhZKMXo

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
What is the problem you guys have with Kaetlyn?

What I see is:

- BIG and rotated jumps with great speed, power, height and flow
- Nice presentation
- Superb transitions
- Good positions in the spins (plus nice speed)
- nice overall flow
- personality

I forgive her the unclear lutz edge because that jump is so spectacular when she does it well.

I am European by the way, not Canadian.

Skatergal101

On the Ice

What I see is:

- Nice presentation
- Superb transitions
- nice overall flow
- personality

I forgive her the unclear lutz edge because that jump is so spectacular when she does it well.

Everyone hates the girl because she's moving up in the rankings lol 🙄
Her score was clearly not overly generous her combo and lutz are HUGE. Spins and presentation are both amazing.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

What I see is:

- Nice presentation
- Superb transitions
- nice overall flow
- personality

- Her jumps are always off axis in the air, her position isn't completely straight so GOEs should be high anyway but not as high as Liza or Gabi's jumps.

- The presentation is superb but those stumbles here and there should affect the PCS (sometimes even the TES when they are in the stsq)

- Her lutz is a flutz: honestly i've seen so many complaints about Evgenia's lutz but Kaetlyn's lutz is way worse and most of the time judges refuses to call it.

- I don't like how here scores went high all at once: this is not respectful for the other skaters who build those scores winning events after events.

Here i'm fine with the result, i've said this after Skate Canada: figure skating is about reputation so whenever Canada throws those big scores out of nothing, canadian skaters has the chance to be relevant and confirm those scores, but i understand why someone cannot accept this.

PS: I am European too.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist

What I see is:

- Nice presentation
- Superb transitions
- nice overall flow
- personality

Skate is still so subjective. As for me, I care not for Elena or Medevdeva's (sic) teeny tiny jumps. I love Kaetlyn's speed and power and big jumps. I love her ATTACK. Really it goes to-do you love skating as art or sport? For me it is the latter.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think that Kaetlyn definitely deserved her first place here and I say that as a person who loves and adores Elena Radionova. But since Elena hit her grow spurt her landings are scratchy and her jumps are small. And tonight even her spins were not the best quality, she travelled a lot. The judges still love her so she can get away with a 70 score, but I honestly didn't see her as so much superior. And still, there is the LP yet to come. Kaetlyn did great at SC in the SP, too. She has not yet won and is not that far away that she cannot be beaten. Let's see what tomorrow will bring.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Tech Panel has disliked Rika so much they gave her UR on jump that was clean and hammered her score because of that. GREAT work, you know how to put the lady down... :disapp:

Is there no way to protest calls like this? I understand there is some kind of "30 minute rule" but do the athletes get to view the replay in that time?

andromache

Record Breaker
Ashley's always been a better LP skater than SP - I'll be surprised if she doesn't pull up a few spots. She got level 4s on all her spins. That's a victory!

Kudos to Kaetlyn for capitalizing on her SC victory. If she keeps it up, she can truly challenge for a World podium. (She hasn't won her way into my heart yet either, but c'mon haters - when on, Kaetlyn is great, kind of a lot in common with Anna P., actually.)

Kudos to Elena for gritting out those jumps even though they aren't pretty.

Is Liza going for the 3A in the LP, does anyone know?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Ashley's always been a better LP skater than SP - I'll be surprised if she doesn't pull up a few spots. She got level 4s on all her spins. That's a victory!

Kudos to Kaetlyn for capitalizing on her SC victory. If she keeps it up, she can truly challenge for a World podium. (She hasn't won her way into my heart yet either, but c'mon haters - when on, Kaetlyn is great, kind of a lot in common with Anna P., actually.)

Kudos to Elena for gritting out those jumps even though they aren't pretty.

Is Liza going for the 3A in the LP, does anyone know?

I don't think so: she didn't have the time to restore the 3A while learning the new program (It's the old one but Lambiel fixed the choreography) and being sick for few days.

She will include 3A at Nationals for sure, the goal here is just to skate cleanly the "new-ish" program, stay consistent and build that confidence.

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Poor Ashley...has to fight for a spot in the final. As much as I like Kaetlyn I think her LP is weaker than her SP and I don't see her victory as a done deal. Even Elena could fall down in the rankings. Who knows what happens, but I wish for Ashley to skate back into a medal position to get to the final.

Ashley's free skate is better, but this SP is not doing her any favors at all. The music is too hard to skate to, even for her. It has an abrupt ending, etc. She and Adam must have thought this kind of dancehall music was a great idea for their SP's for some odd reason, but it is not. One positive note is her dress is her most amazing yet but that doesn't have anything to do with the bad program, unfortunately.

Last edited:

deneuved

On the Ice
I don't actually see Ashley in danger missing out on the Grand Prix Final. A 4th place is enough tomorrow overall unless there is *exactly* this freakish result in Japan next week:
1. Miyahara/Higuchi
2. Sotskova
3. Miyahara/Higuchi
4. Pogorilaya
She must skate REALLY badly tomorrow not to be 4th, I think.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
I think it's clear that the top three japanese ladies this year will be Wakaba, Mai and Satoko. I can see the judges already beginning to punish Satoko, too, so her number one status is gone. Next year sees the arrival of Marin Honda and all the old ones are history. Sounds cruel, but I guess it is happening. Sad, as especially Rika hasn't had time to shine yet.

Same as the Russians.

da96103

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn got 1.50,1.20 GOEs for her 3f3t and 3lz, deservedly IMO! -0.36 on the 2a, which is understandable compared to -0.20 on Liza's 3T+3T for step out/over turn(?).
What I don't get is Ashley's 3r2t with forward landing on 2t got 0.10 Goe.

Mai's STSQ Lv3 +0.64 vs. Liza's STSQ LV3+0.40,,, well, I thought Mai's was WAY better in the SS department.

RIKA got LV4 on Stsq and GOE+1.01! :thumbsup:

Ashley's loop combo was not clean. She was clearly struggling with that. BESP guys already said it would be difficult to tag a 3T to a loop jump when her 3F became solo.

da96103

Record Breaker
When she steps off the ice Kaetlyn says, "I ran out of room". My guess is she didn't judge the distance/speed well going into the 2a. Aside from that, she nailed it, I thought.
Bummer about Ashley. I love her SP, and wanted to see her nail it.
Loved Mai and Lena is always amazing to watch - though a little tentative or sticky on the jumps today.
And OMG Tuk's Lutz! Love. It.

That's weird because I thought I saw her doing another turn on ice towards the boards after she landed her 2A. She had room unless camera angle was deceiving.

da96103

Record Breaker
Self-aware queen:

Ashley should earn some extra pocket money by being Gracie's sports psychologist.