2016 Cup of China Ladies SP | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Ladies SP

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Same as the Russians.

Satoko was pushed by Japanese fed probably because Wakaba didn't move to senior last season.

In Russia it's different: Evgenia's threats are in her own team and Eteri takes care of her probably more than any other student. She may not have Polina's huge jumps, but she is ready to add loop combo in her programs.

Last edited:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
- Her jumps are always off axis in the air, her position isn't completely straight so GOEs should be high anyway but not as high as Liza or Gabi's jumps.

- The presentation is superb but those stumbles here and there should affect the PCS (sometimes even the TES when they are in the stsq)

- Her lutz is a flutz: honestly i've seen so many complaints about Evgenia's lutz but Kaetlyn's lutz is way worse and most of the time judges refuses to call it.

- I don't like how here scores went high all at once: this is not respectful for the other skaters who build those scores winning events after events.

Here i'm fine with the result, i've said this after Skate Canada: figure skating is about reputation so whenever Canada throws those big scores out of nothing, canadian skaters has the chance to be relevant and confirm those scores, but i understand why someone cannot accept this.

PS: I am European too.
Osmonds scores didn't go "all high at once" like some junior skaters aka the world champ did. That girl has been working her butt off since she broke her leg to get scores like that. She isn't new to the field one bit.

da96103

Record Breaker
Satoko was pushed by Japanese fed probably because Wakaba didn't move to senior last season.

In Russia it's different: Evgenia's threats are in her own team and Eteri takes care of her probably more than any other student. She may not have Polina's huge jumps, but she is ready to add loop combo in her programs.

What is this loop combo? I thought Zhenya has already maximized the BV jump passes.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What is this loop combo? I thought Zhenya has already maximized the BV jump passes.

Probably refers to doing a 3F-3Lo instead of a 3F-3T? A 3Lo has a higher base value than a 3T; granted, they are harder to get the full call on, as the 3Lo is generally URed in a combo by most skaters when done as the second jump.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Osmonds scores didn't go "all high at once" like some junior skaters aka the world champ did. That girl has been working her butt off since she broke her leg to get scores like that. She isn't new to the field one bit.

Are you referring to Evgenia? Because that's not what happened: she built that PB at every competition with clean performances and a huge bv in her programs. FS scores went high by the time she moved to seniors but that's because her previous FS at juniors was atrocious, judges never liked it. Same opposite for her FS last season, judges loved it from the start.
2015 Rostelecom Cup: 67.03 / 139.73
2015 Skate America 70.92 / 135.09
-----------------------------------
2015 Junior Worlds: 68.48 / 124.49
2014 JGP Final: 67.09 / 123.80

While let's see Osmond scores.

2016 Skate Canada: 74.33 / 132.12
---------------------------------
2016 Four Continents C.: 56.14 / 119.49
2015 NHK Trophy: 57.07 / 111.41
2015 Skate Canada 59.21 / 86.85

da96103

Record Breaker
Probably refers to doing a 3F-3Lo instead of a 3F-3T? A 3Lo has a higher base value than a 3T; granted, they are harder to get the full call on, as the 3Lo is generally URed in a combo by most skaters when done as the second jump.

Ah I see, because she does two triple-triples. This means she does not need to repeat the 3T and can repeat a higher BV jump.

andromache

Record Breaker

Do you mean that you think Eteri will give preferential treatment to Evgenia next season when the two ladies are each other's competition?

andromache

Record Breaker
Are you referring to Evgenia? Because that's not what happened: she built that PB at every competition with clean performances and a huge bv in her programs. FS scores went high by the time she moved to seniors but that's because her previous FS at juniors was atrocious, judges never liked it. Same opposite for her FS last season, judges loved it from the start.
2015 Rostelecom Cup: 67.03 / 139.73
2015 Skate America 70.92 / 135.09
-----------------------------------
2015 Junior Worlds: 68.48 / 124.49
2014 JGP Final: 67.09 / 123.80

While let's see Osmond scores.

2016 Skate Canada: 74.33 / 132.12
---------------------------------
2016 Four Continents C.: 56.14 / 119.49
2015 NHK Trophy: 57.07 / 111.41
2015 Skate Canada 59.21 / 86.85

Maybe judges like Kaetlyn's programs much more this season than last season? And for an LP that the judges "hated," Evgenia still earned the highest PCS as a junior compared to her competitors - judges probably didn't hate the program all that much.

And in looking at Kaetlyn's large increase in scores, you're also failing to acknowledge the vast difference in TES between last season and this season. We are all aware that very poor TES leads to skaters earning lower PCS. But she started skating to her potential this season - judges clearly think she's on a level with the top ladies in the world when she skates cleanish, and they're rewarding her adequately.

When an inconsistent skater skates amazing, their score should not be held back - that will lead to incorrect results. Judges did not limit Adelina Sotnikova's PCS when she skated to her potential in Sochi. When she finally did skate to her potential, she received the PCS she deserved; Kaetlyn's situation is very similar.

ETA: Same with Anna. Look at her PCS on the GP series from last season and then look at her PCS at Worlds. She didn't need a season of consistent performances to start getting good scores. She delivered, and when she delivered, she got rewarded. And just to be clear, Kaetlyn is not receiving current Evgenia-levels of PCS, though they are similar to Anna's PCS at Worlds last season.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
poor Zijun. She was fast today. She was energetic. Her programm is gorgeous. Her interpretation sublime. But no love from the judges. 29 PCs.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

3salchow-3loop, 3flip-3loop, 3loop-3loop.

She can land those combos, of course she won't add these right now because she doesn't need it and a loop combo is risky: you don't have time to set the second jump.

Do you mean that you think Eteri will give preferential treatment to Evgenia next season when the two ladies are each other's competition?

Yes, unlike Julia, Zhenya trusts Eteri a lot.

That doesn't mean they won't train other ladies: figure skating is moving forward, Alina Zagitova this season has all the jumps in the second half for both the SP and the LP including the hardest 3-3 (3ltz-3lo), Rika Kihira already has the 3A, but Evgenia wants to stay relevant by the time this girls will move to seniors, that's why she is traning new combos.

skatefan22

Medalist
I am seriously annoyed that Rika Hongo's 3T was called UR. Everyone please go look at this replay in 0.25x and judge for yourself if she touched down before the 1/4 turn mark: https://youtu.be/6RF4DEltkmo?t=4m33s

According to the replay, she did UR. Rotation short less than a quarter will get a < and that is what she got I suppose. Watch 4:39 when her toe hit the ice, I am afraid that is underrotated. The panel is strict, but they are not wrong. Rika just needs a bit more height and she will make it. I have faith in her for LP tomorrow.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
3salchow-3loop, 3flip-3loop, 3loop-3loop.

She can land those combos, of course she won't add these right now because she doesn't need it and a loop combo is risky: you don't have time to set the second jump.

Yes, unlike Julia, Zhenya trusts Eteri a lot.

That doesn't mean they won't train other ladies: figure skating is moving forward, Alina Zagitova this season has all the jumps in the second half for both the SP and the LP including the hardest 3-3 (3ltz-3lo), Rika Kihira already has the 3A, but Evgenia wants to stay relevant by the time this girls will move to seniors, that's why she is traning new combos.

Wow, poor Polina Tsurskaya then, if that's the case. Her coach should be objective, rather than actively supporting one student over another.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Wow, poor Polina Tsurskaya then, if that's the case. Her coach should be objective, rather than actively supporting one student over another.

I don't think she wants to keep her behind, but it's more like if Evgenia bombs a season, i will still have Polina or Alina ready to go and viceversa.

In two-three years Russian Nationals could be a battle between Eteri's students.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think she wants to keep her behind, but it's more like if Evgenia bombs a season, i will still have Polina or Alina ready to go and viceversa.

In two-three years Russian Nationals could be a battle between Eteri's students.

Either way, that's still wrong. No way Brian Orser gives preferential treatment to Javi or Yuzu thinking "Well if my favorite Yuzu bombs, I'll have Javi ready to go." As a coach, your job is to prepare each individual skater to the best of YOUR and the best of their ability, even if it means the one the you like more might lose to the other one. Give each skater 100% and then let the best skater win; don't try to ensure that one will beat the other. That's so messed up!

I sincerely hope you're wrong about Eteri and she is 100% committed to preparing not only Evgenia but Polina for OGM.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Umm...don't know what you heard but I just watched the Brits and the commentator said, "the judges haven't been over kind to Kaetlyn Osmond", meaning, ...in their opinion, she was not over-scored here. Perhaps you should re-watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4rmBhZKMXo

That's Exactly what they said. You're right. Having just watched the program, I don't think Kaetlyn was over scored and I'll have to look at her PCS but, I imagine they played a part in her lead. Kaetlyn performs like a showgirl. Poised and absolutely gorgeous. Shame about the 2A and the small stumble that followed or that could have been a 75pt program.

Last edited:

rosy14

Final Flight
Either way, that's still wrong. No way Brian Orser gives preferential treatment to Javi or Yuzu thinking "Well if my favorite Yuzu bombs, I'll have Javi ready to go." As a coach, your job is to prepare each individual skater to the best of YOUR and the best of their ability, even if it means the one the you like more might lose to the other one. Give each skater 100% and then let the best skater win; don't try to ensure that one will beat the other. That's so messed up!
I sincerely hope you're wrong about Eteri and she is 100% committed to preparing not only Evgenia but Polina for OGM.

Evgenia has not yet completed her puberty, Polina quite probably yes. She has better jumps, higher, completely rotated and is a bit more mature in her presentation than Xhenia. I think Eteri will see which one starts better, and then will support unconditionally that one, being Xhenia or Polina. The other one will be let to drop on her own (see what happened to Julia as soon as she started to deliver unsuccessfully. And the same applied to Pitkeev and Voronov. They stopped to skate clean, she reserved all her atttention to Xhenia. And it was at the beginning of last season !).

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Thank you skatergal101...the girl has been competing at international senior women's events, since 2012 and working her buns off, as these junior/seniors were watching her from their TV sets (Sochi, Worlds, Grand Prix's).

It's not like it's Kaetlyn's first trip to the rodeo!

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just got around to watching Kaetlyn Osmond's SP. WOW!!!!! AMAZING! It's honestly a shame that Canada has only 2 spots for ladies for Worlds. As all 3 are talented.

Wow....Kaetlyn could very well make the GPF if she gets gold or silver.