2017 Europeans Mens FS | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Mens FS

Sabrina

Record Breaker
After watching and re watching, I can say Moris Kvitelashvili was lowballed. I think he should have placed at least 4th. The Sp should have put him much closer to the top. The 3A and 4T3T were top class. He had one mistake on the F but the overall score should have been higher. I can understand he comes from nowhere, still the judges were too harsh.

Lipea

Final Flight
I think Moris must have best TES of this event, Javi's score is too generous. Judges just don't let someone who represents Georgia be 1st in TES

Completely agree. Frankly speaking, if not all this reputation/federation thing Moris should have won the event.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't Morris the dude in the video below doing a 2a-4t back in 2014?? Has he ever gone for this in competition or would it be a stupid jump combo. Lol...I really don't know but does anyone even do this combo?

https://youtu.be/B958exLmbWA

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Anyway, as a Czech, I really hope you all liked our organization of the event! I'm so sad I couldn't go, but seeing the amazing supportive audience made me so happy! I hope you all will miss it, since I will. :love: :clapper:

Thank you SO MUCH for this event indeed! The crowd was lovely and the atmosphere was very amiable! :hap10: Europeans should be held in Czech forever (just like Worlds in Japan lol)

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Great audience! Are there any venues that would be large enough for Worlds?...And FINALLY I know which nation is "beer nation"! :laugh2:

:laugh2:

Well, there were a few candidates, I'm aware of that. :laugh: But we lead all ramkings of consumption per capita, 140-160 l per year and Germany barely gets over 100 l ;)

Btw, I don't like Beer. :rofl:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Great audience! Are there any venues that would be large enough for Worlds? ...And FINALLY I know which nation is "beer nation"! :laugh2:

Replying just to the bolded part this time. The Ostrava rink is not big enough for Worlds? Are there different requirements? Seems peculiar.

Also, it seemed weird to me why Europeans were held in Ostrava, the hole of the world and not in Prague, the capital and maybe to only Czech city a lot of people know... But Czech commentator said Prague doesn't have a rink, which confuses me, since even Worlds were held there. :scratch2:

senatormls

On the Ice
Thank goodness my Eurosport didn't switch to tennis or snooker. Liked the man from Georgia and Fentz from Germany. I gave up on Brezina many moons ago. Deniss from Latvia is showing potential and needs to listen to his coach Lambiel. The quads will come but Nathan Chen is also 17! The top 6 looked very tired and red in their faces during their performances. Bychenko looked as though he didn't want to be there. Had the same type of footwork at least three times during his crossovers. Good for Hendrickx, he paced himself better and gave a great performance. Tough night for Kolyada but he got the bronze.
OK .. Kvotum.... that music was horrible and he struggles with stamina. Good to see that he is improving this season after a diastrous Grand Prix. He is to me a male Polina Edmonds and I will stop here before I get myself into trouble!
Javi oh Javi, not your best night. Congrats, but you have performed much better than that. A bit overscored in the tech dept. I'm worried that he looks thinner and not in a good way. I can see it in his face. I hope he is Ok after that nasty fall from the quad salchow attempt.
In all not the best discipline in this year's Euros.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Javi for his 5th consecutive European title, WOW!!! The performance was not his greatest, but I´m happy that in spite of having suffered from an illness for two weeks he was able to perform even in this way. He still looked a bit ill and seems to have lost some weight. He did not have an easy fall, because of some unavoidable commitments he had with his own country, but hopefully that horrible fall in the freeskate did not cause any serious injury. I´m really proud of him that he was able to continue and won!!!

Very happy for Kovtun´s silver medal, did not think he had it in him!!!

I also liked very much watching the skating of Newberry, Hendrickx and Vasiljevs.

Last edited:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
With no intention to offend you but this is ridiculous. He should be proud of himself for his fifth consecutive title. Scores are inflated but he did more than enough to win here.
To insinuate that he won by default is disrespecting the athlete's imense work and sacrifices. Also, doing shows is what pays the bills and for his training...

I can't agree more!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Replying just to the bolded part this time. The Ostrava rink is not big enough for Worlds? Are there different requirements? Seems peculiar.

Also, it seemed weird to me why Europeans were held in Ostrava, the hole of the world and not in Prague, the capital and maybe to only Czech city a lot of people know... But Czech commentator said Prague doesn't have a rink, which confuses me, since even Worlds were held there. :scratch2:

Prague has the 02 Arena and according to Wikipedia it's the second largest hockey arena in Europe which holds ~17,000 people.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
:laugh2:

Well, there were a few candidates, I'm aware of that. :laugh: But we lead all ramkings of consumption per capita, 140-160 l per year and Germany barely gets over 100 l ;)

Btw, I don't like Beer. :rofl:

Lol. I remember reading somewhere that in Czechia people buy beer in multi-packs ... In Poland it's sold in six-packs or maximally in eight-packs but they wanted to sell it like in Czech Republic ... 10-beers in one pack! But it was not what people wanted as it turned out so you can't find such multi-pack anymore. Btw. I stopped being so surprised by Americans rates of obesity after watching documentary in which you could see that every pack of food or bottle is like 2 times bigger than in Poland.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Prague has the 02 Arena and according to Wikipedia it's the second largest hockey arena in Europe which holds ~17,000 people.

I thought about that, that's why I was confused. Maybe the arena is suitable for hockey and not figure skating?

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
The Spanish National anthem is so long.

I don't know why they used the long version! I'm spanish and i felt really proud watching Javi there but at some point i began to laugh ... Are they trying to torture these russian boys on the podium? Lol
It's just a joke, the czech crowd were wonderful!!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Anyway big congrats for Javier, not a fan of this program and it was not his best day either but he showed lots of grit and fight, esp. after that heavy fall. I think he was overscored, both TES and PCS (both about 5 points) though but being World Champion gives some privileges whether we like it or not.

Also I compliment Mikhail Kolyada (first championships medal!) and Maxim Kovtun - silver medallist - he really impressed me with his poise and mental stability. In the past he would often melt down but not in this competition, I've heard from Polish commentator that he's working with sports psychologist to improve mental side and it pays off!

Sad for Michal Brezina, same old, same old unfortunately :-( He lacked stamina for me.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Javi's win only emphasises how much weaker European Men's field is than that of the "rest of skating world". There's just nobody who could threaten him, even if he has a bad skate. It makes judges treat him like he's special - and he sorta IS special in Europe. If Yuzuru had a skate like that at 4CCs, there'd be others who'd be capable of overtaking him, but there's no one in Europe to overtake Javi. If there had been, I think those GOEs would have been much less generous.

Last edited:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
After watching and re watching, I can say Moris Kvitelashvili was lowballed. I think he should have placed at least 4th. The Sp should have put him much closer to the top. The 3A and 4T3T were top class. He had one mistake on the F but the overall score should have been higher. I can understand he comes from nowhere, still the judges were too harsh.

It is my opinion too. He was far better than Hendricks.

Yuii Murasaki

On the Ice
When I knew Evgenia got WR, I thought it was too much. But compared to Javi's, it seems reasonable to me now.
His scores both in TES and PCS are so ridiculous. I'm glad judges at GPF didn't give him this kind of score. :sarcasm:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Javi's win only emphasises how much weaker European Men's field is than that of the "rest of skating world". There's just nobody who could threaten him, even if he has a bad skate. It makes judges treat him like he's special - and he sorta IS special in Europe. If Yuzuru had a skate like that at 4CCs, there'd be others who'd be capable of overtaking him, but there's no one in Europe to overtake Javi. If there had been, I think those GOEs would have been much less generous.

Figure skating was an European sport and ISU itself is still European, yet Javi is the sole European presence among the top tier Mens in recent years. He will be highly favoured in all events until he retires unless another European Worlds podium contender emerges like Nathan Chen does.

All in all, Spain and Europe can be rightfully proud of Javi's amazing accomplishments.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Yeah ... this also springs to my mind. They want to send better signal with adulatory marks and reward the best skater. Javi's sex-appeal also helps I guess on top of being 2-time World Champion :biggrin: He stands out among not extremely competitive Europe vs the rest of the World.