2017 Jr Worlds Mens FS | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Mens FS

mcq

Record Breaker
I see, you are talking from a strategic point of view. If Vincent and Nathan are in the same event, then there is one less GPF event where Vincent can block non-US skaters from placing higher.

So Vincent would need to get someone to host him if he does not get 2 assignments automatically.

Japan and USA could do a mutual exchange, I don't think they would want Hanyu and Uno in the same GP too, I think?

da96103

Record Breaker
Japan and USA could do a mutual exchange, I don't think they would want Hanyu and Uno in the same GP too, I think?

Yuzuru and Shoma got assigned to 4 different GPs for last season and this season.

mcq

Record Breaker
Yuzuru and Shoma got assigned to 4 different GPs for last season and this season.

Exactly. I don't see why USA can't do the same. Unless they want them in the same competition for whatever absurd reason they did with ashley and gracie.

da96103

Record Breaker

Well Japan does not need to host pick Yuzu and Shoma. They earned their 2 spots.

mcq

Record Breaker
Were Ashley and Gracie both in SA?

This season they did, and it did not turn out well for Gracie and we know what happened in the following competitions. Btw, Shoma got 2 different GP than Yuzu in his first senior season, I really can't see why USFSA can't do the same in the case pf Nate and Zhou, unless they actually wanted that like they did with ashley and gracie.

da96103

Record Breaker
This season they did, and it did not turn out well for Gracie and we know what happened in the following competitions. Btw, Shoma got 2 different GP than Yuzu in his first senior season, I really can't see why USFSA can't do the same in the case pf Nate and Zhou, unless they actually wanted that like they did with ashley and gracie.

Prob the USFS did not think about the mathematical advantage of sending top two skaters to 4 different events as you had made me realised.

begin

Medalist
I know debating components in this era is beating a dead horse but ugh. UGH. This time it actually made a difference in the standings and I'm mad as hell :dev2:

If Olympic hype + BOrser still isn't enough to give a deserving skater the PCS edge over then what's the point? C'mon judges. Effing pull it together.

mcq

Record Breaker
Prob the USFS did not think about the mathematical advantage of sending top two skaters to 4 different events as you had made me realised.

Nah. They probably want to sell tickets and thought ashley and gracie would do comparatively well at other events and made it enough just to qualify for the GPF. Or they maybe just don't give a crap about GPF at all :p

da96103

Record Breaker
I know debating components in this era is beating a dead horse but ugh. UGH. This time it actually made a difference in the standings and I'm mad as hell :dev2:

If Olympic hype + BOrser still isn't enough to give a deserving skater the PCS edge over then what's the point? C'mon judges. Effing pull it together.

You suspect Cha was Yuna-Kim-ed.

da96103

Record Breaker
Nah. They probably want to sell tickets and thought ashley and gracie would do comparatively well at other events and made it enough just to qualify for the GPF. Or they maybe just don't give a crap about GPF at all :p

Anyway it did not matter. Gracie would have been unlikely to block Zhenya and friends, Satoko or Kaetlyn.

zebobes

Final Flight
I was at the arena today, and it was a great competition. I brought skating newbies to watch the competition with me, and it was fun to explain things to them.

One thing that I was surprised by was that as someone who has never skated, labored skating is a lot less obvious to me than watching it on video. In general, people were all very fast. Also, my friends didn't realize that Nicholas Nadeau was skating poorly. I was groaning at his many mistakes, but to their uneducated eyes, they thought he skated really well.

I also tend to like people a lot more in person. Some people who I would naturally fast forward through I enjoyed very much in person.

It was also great to see Vincent's skate in person. His quad lutz was beautiful, and he got the biggest standing ovation of the night by far. The funny thing was, my first thought was, "Wow, that was great!" and my second thought was, "Oh no, the whole Jason/Vincent Senior World's debate is going to go for a whole new round now."

I don't quite understand how Taiwan can afford to hold these competitions because admission is completely free. I also don't understand why there aren't more Japanese people here... with the free tickets, they can get a nice vacation in Taiwan and save all of their money that they would have spent to see a skating competition. But then again, ladies haven't started yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it is very full tomorrow.

da96103

Record Breaker
I was at the arena today, and it was a great competition. I brought skating newbies to watch the competition with me, and it was fun to explain things to them.

One thing that I was surprised by was that as someone who has never skated, labored skating is a lot less obvious to me than watching it on video. In general, people were all very fast. Also, my friends didn't realize that Nicholas Nadeau was skating poorly. I was groaning at his many mistakes, but to their uneducated eyes, they thought he skated really well.

I also tend to like people a lot more in person. Some people who I would naturally fast forward through I enjoyed very much in person.

It was also great to see Vincent's skate in person. His quad lutz was beautiful, and he got the biggest standing ovation of the night by far. The funny thing was, my first thought was, "Wow, that was great!" and my second thought was, "Oh no, the whole Jason/Vincent Senior World's debate is going to go for a whole new round now."

I don't quite understand how Taiwan can afford to hold these competitions because admission is completely free. I also don't understand why there aren't more Japanese people here... with the free tickets, they can get a nice vacation in Taiwan and save all of their money that they would have spent to see a skating competition. But then again, ladies haven't started yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it is very full tomorrow.

Free? Wow. The Taiwan government probably is looking at the big picture and bringing in tourist money through accommodation and food and etc.

But I see lots of empty seats though.

Maybe the Japanese fans are not so invested in the boys compared to the girls. The Japanese boys did not do too well today.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Cha should have been 2nd or 3rd. His mistakes were actually not that bad. His PCS were hosed though. Crazy!

begin

Medalist
You suspect Cha was Yuna-Kim-ed.

No that's not comparable. Yuna was Sotnikova'd/Lipinski'd in epic fashion. Cha was just an unfortunate casualty to the inexplicable benefits of SWR.

I say all this with a lot of love for Russian skaters themselves (Aliev<3). And on a more positive note--YES @ Vincent! Loved him since he was a novice bby who could barely triple and now he's quad-ing his way to titles! US men be kicking a** and taking names this season :D

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Not that it makes any sense, but these intra-asia routes (JP-TPE or HKG-TPE) are quite expensive. Japanese fans are wiling to trek across the ocean for competitions, so I'm puzzled just like you.
I loaded up on boba drinks and beef stew noodle when I was in TPE. Hope those skaters get to try them after the competitions.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Not that it makes any sense, but these intra-asia routes (JP-TPE or HKG-TPE) are quite expensive. Japanese fans are wiling to trek across the ocean for competitions, so I'm puzzled just like you.
I loaded up on boba drinks and beef stew noodle when I was in TPE. Hope those skaters get to try them after the competitions.

Maybe it is because competition was held on Wed and Thurs, Japanese people love to work, you know.

da96103

Record Breaker

You went to the street food place?

mcq

Record Breaker

Yeah but would they travel for junior competiton though? I'd say they would travel to competitions that have Mao or Yuzuru or Shoma, Satoko and not so much for juniors? Maybe there will be more people for Marin, kaori and Yuna who knows?