2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
That makes my heart ache knowing how many people were probably clapping and cheering that they failed.

I hope the haters are very proud of themselves, the shades of pairs skating aren't polluted by a fun-filled program with pep.
To me, is not like that. We all have our taste and preferences.
I like theirs SP, and when they skate well i clapping for them, like for every other skaters. But candyman... i was just not hoping to see THAT program to gold, and i think many other was thinking the same.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I try my best to understand both sides of an issue and I hate when folks go after athletes on twitter, etc. However, I see nothing to compromise about here. I didn't like T/M's program and packaging this year. That's not going to change even after tonight. I've criticized Moser and their team and T/M for making these choices. There's nothing wrong with that. Let's not go overboard on this "hatred" stuff. I'm not losing any sleep over Candyman, but if we're comparing and contrasting amongst competitors and stating our opinions on GS I see no issue.

When T/M get better packaging I'll be cheering hard for them. The skating skills and the elements are there. I just think they need to up their game. I roast my favorites for bad choices too.

It is just that the hatred, negativity, mocking or whatever is so much on T and M, Chan and D and R. It would be very easy to say Aliona is an amazing champion with amazing strength Courage and heart and hard work. but the way she did it also arguably could be also described as leading female soap character.

anyanka

Record Breaker
You just know that Sui and Han are going to absolutely SLAY in 2022, on home ice, in front of a feverish, heavily Chinese crowd. They may not have gotten the gold today, but you just know this will motivate them like nothing else for the Beijing games.

Congratulations to all the medalists today!!! Each was stunning and deserving. :clap:

anyanka

Record Breaker
It is just that the hatred, negativity, mocking or whatever is so much on T and M, Chan and D and R. It would be very easy to say Aliona is an amazing champion with amazing strength Courage and heart and hard work. but the way she did it also arguably could be also described as leading female soap character.

Well, some of us happen to be big Joan Collins fans ... ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Regarding T/M, the music was not good enough for them. It was way beneath their quality and talent. They deserved so much more.

This could foreshadow ice dance and France and Canada. Many think Moulin Rouge is not good enough for Virtue and Moir?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Stop. Just Please Stop. S/M deserved to win. Period.

they were great. But this was hardly a clear win. As for deserved - I think all the competitors for the most part deserve the Gold.WE could argue somany teams deservedgold - depending on what you are looking at- perseverence,hard luck, skill, performance on the day, program, resilience, This was hardly a clear victory.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
This could foreshadow ice dance and France and Canada. Many think Moulin Rouge is not good enough for Virtue and Moir?

I wouldn't compare the two at all

Besides, If T\M had skated amazingly they would be on this podium despite the music choice

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
they were great. But this was hardly a clear win. As for deserved - I think all the competitors for the most part deserve the Gold.WE could argue somany teams deservedgold - depending on what you are looking at- perseverence,hard luck, skill, performance on the day, program, resilience, This was hardly a clear victory.

Do you believe D/R should have won? I can kind of see what you mean there. They landed a quad after all and were virtually tied with S/M after the short. But it was PCS that did it and I think S/M were clearly superior despite how much I love Meagan and Eric.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't compare the two at all

Besides, If T\M had skated amazingly they would be on this podium despite the music choice

Well I personally think MR is a masterpiece. To take a non classical - give me marks artsy song because it is suppose to be high brow ie Moonlight Sonato, Turnadot, Carmen etal and to push it. Not only the sexuality but really it is an amazing program.

But I don't think the judges will reward it with gold;they love the classical approach of the French. I just so love that V and M are willing to do different things but it will cost them

randomfan

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the competition, and wow, what a competition it was!

Big congrats to Savchenko and Massot for winning the gold. Obviously I don't know much about pairs, but I am aware that Savchenko has been on the scene for a long time, so this win means a lot to her. And of course I'm also happy for Massot! Their performance was so beautiful! :yahoo:

I was cheering for Sui and Han to win the gold, so to see them just barely miss out on it was a little hard for me at first. But the judging was correct for the most part, and this silver is still a huge accomplishment and something that they should be truly proud of, especially considering how the past few months were difficult for this pair. Sui and Han, you guys were still amazing out there :hap10:

Seeing Duhamel and Radford earn the bronze here was also heartwarming. While they (and Savchenko) are older than most of the others, they never gave up and kept fighting to come this far. Honestly, I was afraid when I saw them struggling after 2016 Worlds, but to see them rebound and finish their Olympics on a high note is absolutely phenomenal. They deserved to be on the podium :yes2:

And as for Tarasova and Morozov...what a difficult time for them. The comments about the program, the situation with Russia, this must've been a very difficult time for these two. I don't have strong opinions about Candyman since I don't watch pairs that often, but I can see why so many people dislike it. Even so, I felt really sorry for this pair, they came this far and had to hear that they finished 4th. Tarasova's reaction to the placement was very heartbreaking, and while I was happy for the medalists, I couldn't help but think of how devastated these two were. I hope they can come back strong from this :cheer:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Look at how close the result was. There are no absolutes. They had the technically easiest program of the top 4 and I wouldn't call it one of the greatest programs myself, the LP they had last season was better. The scores were extremely generous: +3 GOE across the board on that throw Salchow when the landing was not perfect, 10's on PCS.

I think if i had to judge the Gold medalists by looking at the entire event,
PCS, GOE or score proximity aside
I would see that S\M doubled a jump in the short,
And S\H had 2 flawed elements in the free and some levels lost,
And i would probably have to go with the clean FS and the Germans

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Do you believe D/R should have won? I can kind of see what you mean there. They landed a quad after all and were virtually tied with S/M after the short. But it was PCS that did it and I think S/M were clearly superior despite how much I love Meagan and Eric.

I was thinking that when you look at the scores the Chinese could have won but I have nothing against D And R - I personally don't think their pcs should be seen as so inferior to the germans or chinese. I am just saying the Germans popped a jump in the short and had a tight landing on the throw in the spand the score seemed a bit high. Then with even half a point less they would not have been in the final group skating the FS. That probably would effect their pcs a bit - and it was so close. I agree the Germans won the lp but really the Chinese could have maybe should have had a bigger lead after the short or more pointsfor the lift and spin - half a point is not much and easily made up between the lift, the spin and or the sp score that seems a bit high for Aliona and Bruno. I appreciate in life it doesn't matter whether you won by .5 or50 pts it is who holds that Gold.

da96103

Record Breaker
That makes my heart ache knowing how many people were probably clapping and cheering that they failed.

I hope the haters are very proud of themselves, the shades of pairs skating aren't polluted by a fun-filled program with pep.

Not very well-versed with pairs and the back story but why is T/M unpopular with fans?

nocturnalis

Medalist
Not very well-versed with pairs and the back story but why is T/M unpopular with fans?

Maybe they were upset they passed S/K? I don't know. My only real beef with them was them getting credit for doing the wrong lift in their SP last season.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I was thinking that when you look at the scores the Chinese could have won but I have nothing against D And R - I personally don't think their pcs should be seen as so inferior to the germans or chinese. I am just saying the Germans popped a jump in the short and had a tight landing on the throw in the spand the score seemed a bit high. Then with even half a point less they would not have been in the final group skating the FS. That probably would effect their pcs a bit - and it was so close. I agree the Germans won the lp but really the Chinese could have maybe should have had a bigger lead after the short or more pointsfor the lift and spin - half a point is not much and easily made up between the lift, the spin and or the sp score that seems a bit high for Aliona and Bruno. I appreciate in life it doesn't matter whether you won by .5 or50 pts it is who holds that Gold.

I agree about the way people discuss D/R's PCS. They act like they are far inferior, and while I cannot agree with that sentiment, I also feel that a clean S/M and S/H are in a league of their own. D/R and J/C are a very close second, and T/M would be somewhere behind them. So I would have had a clean S/M over a slightly flawed D/R even with a quad on PCS. Had S/M made mistakes I do believe the should be vulnerable to D/R as that PCS advantage takes a hit, which is what happened in the short(D/R could have had a bigger lead but they weren't clean either).

I am not great with discussing and analyzing levels. But the way I see it the Chinese had two mistakes on major elements to the German's one over the course of the competition, not even considering the levels. Aliona didn't know about Bruno's mistake and performed the hell out of that short, whereas I could see the Chinese's performance quality dropping towards the end of their free after mistakes had been made and noted. This could be what lead to the carelessness on the leveled elements (if in fact the judges were correct to mark them down). I would have them virtually tied on PCS when both go clean, and I can see the Chinese given the nod on some nights, but not tonight. I just cannot see that messy skate as an OGM winning performance, short notwithstanding.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
OMG.

Congrats to Aliona and Bruno <3

(but I am weeping for Sui Han, and I made it worse for myself by watching a tear jerking docu or something about Sui's recovery from her injury before the FS started :hopelessness:)

Also Meagan and Eric really moved me, which I honestly didn't expect. I'm so happy for them.

Happy for Vanessa and Morgan too, as well as Valentina.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Is Robin signing off on Candyman evidence that he wanted Aliona to get that gold after all?