Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season

The more I think of it, the more I realize this music is indeed fitting. It's out of a sci-fi/horror/dystopia first person PoV game, and it fits the ISU and what they're turning FS into.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I think it would be just as valid to say that I don’t think that skaters who can’t execute level 4 step sequences should be able to compete with those who can. (Or any other specific blade-to-ice skill. I named that one because it is a common element in senior programs as the sport is practiced today. Feel free to add “back paragraph loops” “iron cross” or “full-rink spread eagles” or “double axels in both directions” or “axel that covers at least 10 feet of ice in the air” or “Biellmann spin” or “writing one’s name [or some standard word] with the blade of one foot without putting the other foot down” or “averaging ice speed of at least 20 mph throughout a 4-minute program” or any other difficult skating feat that separates the worthy from the unworthy winners.

For myself, I think that the great potential of a point-based approach to elements is to allow skaters to build up points by meeting minimum expectations and then going beyond the minimum by pushing limits in their own best areas of technical/athletic expertise. For many of the top men these days, that means multiple quads. But I personally believe that the sport should be structured to allow different kinds of champions with different kinds of personal top strengths. And of course that the skater with the most different kinds of strengths should have an advantage over skater who are only good at one kind of skill. Even if that one kind of skill is rotating 4 times in the air from various takeoffs.
Exactly my same point.

The program structure is about to make you show a bit of everything, your steps, your spins, your jumps, your weakness and strengths as a skater, because all of that is Figure Skating, not just jumps. It is a synthesis, for make everything valuable.

An excellency on everything but jumps don't deserve to win over who has all, and is able to show that clean, but i also think that some raw skaters on steps and spins don't deserve to have a great advantage on the TES base value, just because of a single type of quad.

Discuss this is to discuss the balance of the TES evaluation, and how that can affect what we are going to see on ice.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

You have a skater like Moris Kvitelashvili who finished 13th at 2017 worlds with 4 quads.
I assume that he had so much advantage over skaters with only triples that he finished behind Jason Brown and Misha Ge, and was only 0,24 points above Deniss Vassiljevs.

I wouldn't say it's the only way for them to exist, but for skaters like Chafik Besseghier and Valtter Virtanen, the ability to land a quad has been a big, big help in getting into the free skate at Worlds level and getting on the podium/into the top ranks at Senior B and Challenger events given that they don't rack up enormous PCS scores. Likewise Brendan Kerry.
Chafik Besseghier is a good example who show that having multiple quads is not big advantage even in a country with little competition. The guy lost to Kevin Aymoz at 2016 french nationals. He had 4 quads, Kevin Aymoz 0. Why did he lose? PCS and GOEs. You can have quads but you will lose if your GOEs and PCS are not competitives. But some people seem to forget that when they want quads to be reduced.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
You have a skater like Moris Kvitelashvili who finished 13th at 2017 worlds with 4 quads.
I assume that he had so much advantage over skaters with only triples that he finished behind Jason Brown and Misha Ge, and was only 0,24 points above Deniss Vassiljevs

Moris fall all the time, and is way a worst skater than the other three. Or you are saying that Latvia and Uzbekistan are such a powerful feds ?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Poor Lakernik already looks like he's gonna need triple strength coffee to get through this...

What's this proposal about?

Are they going to show the country votes for all? Because that's :popcorn: for some proposals ;)

And Bosnia lady has a problem! :yahoo:

Danny T

Medalist
Poked head in for 3 minutes and LMAO the voting electronics is already wack.

No wonder these dinosaurs cannot use a USB :dumb:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure what the proposal is, but it seems we have some technical difficulties.

And I have to say, SCREW the US delegate lady who in spite of two different little feds saying they had problems, argued for not re-doing the vote.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, apparently these are all Synchro.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Moris fall all the time, and is way a worst skater than the other three. Or you are saying that Latvia and Uzbekistan are such a powerful feds ?

I am saying that skaters with quads don't always win against skaters with only triples. So i don't understand why it's so unfair to let some skaters to have multiples quads in their programs since they don't even win.

And Moris didn't fall more than those 3.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Eh, I don't know a lot about Synchro, but I feel like if you have 5 skaters who manage to fall over during an element, -5 is a fair enough deduction. I mean, that's clearly a massive error.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I am saying that skaters with quads don't always win against skaters with only triples. So i don't understand why it's so unfair to let some skaters to have multiples quads in their programs since they don't even win.

We are coming from years of people saying "a fallen quad is better than a triple". Nope, is not.

Some proposal are there for try to change the approach of skaters to what put in their program, after all the splatfest we have see these days.