Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

macy

Record Breaker
Well in terms of Biles, its shady details about what caused the withdrawal at this point first it was injury with her leg and then this "mental" issue came up and that she might come back for individual events later in the week. Can't remember any instance of an athlete quitting the Olympics for mental issues in the past.
oh i am sure there have been many. probably most of which we don't know about. and we are talking about Simone Biles- the greatest gymnast in history. the media has put SO MUCH PRESSURE on her to carry her team to golds, to win all six finals here and to do it by huge margins, to never falter, and when she does its always a huge deal. she's not supposed to because she is Simone Biles. no one remembers she is only human or gives her that grace. she wasn't even sure if she could last another year, her body and mind are so exhausted and the cracks are showing. the fact she made it this far speaks to her character.

and what she did today was not "quitting", she put her own health first. quitting implies giving up, and that she did not do. we at least owe her that much to be understanding and supportive after all she has done for gymnastics the last 8 years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@macy

I agree that outside forces have put a lot of pressure on Simone.

But, I gotta say it... competing with the GOAT leotards and showing off the GOAT slides on social media... she didn't downplay anything.

That's just begging karma to step in...

macy

Record Breaker
@macy

I agree that outside forces have put a lot of pressure on Simone.

But, I gotta say it... competing with the GOAT leotards and showing off the GOAT slides on social media... she didn't downplay anything.

That's just begging karma to step in...
well to be fair, she IS the GOAT and always will be no matter what happens this Olympics. she's already cemented her spot in history by her results...the problem is the pressure and gloating of the entire world (namely the US) of how good she is and the expectations that have been placed on her.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sorry for the double post, but just hopped on instagram to see part of an article Mykayla Skinner's husband shared-

"Skinner was actually a part of the four person team with the highest scoring potential, but it was believed by the three-member selection committee that Skinner was a better bet to medal as an individual due to her prowess on vault."

"...the all around, was selected for a team spot ahead of Skinner ever though Forster said Skinner would, mathematically, give Team USA a slightly better chance of winning gold."

Tom needs to GO. this was so unfair not just to Mykayla, but to Simone who he clearly expected to carry the team to gold medals. he basically did not even consider the other 3 spots or give much thought to them because he was betting on Simone. everyone thinks she is a machine and isn't human, but look what is happening now. i hope there will be enough pressure on him after these Olympics to step down. Mykayla deserved better and Simone deserved better.
I told y’all. I am *incensed.*. Not at the athletes who competed. At USAG for not picking the team they said they would (by math and not by placement).

Secondly, I will bet money Simone is injured and that someone made the decision to let her vault to allow her to get the gold medal and protect this narrative they’ve built. Had they subbed someone else in the USA world have probably still won. She had a really low vault score.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that team final was WILD. losing Simone was unthinkable and devastating, and it was basically over then. very proud of the 3 of them that had to carry the team the rest of the way, they couldn't have been put in a tougher position and fought until the end.

now what happens going forward for Simone? there are rumors it was a mental issue today, will she be able to recover in time for the all around? obviously i would love to see her fight her way back and finish her career the way she deserves to, but its obvious she is exhausted mentally and physically. the pressure on her is more than it's ever been. i can't imagine she wants to be done more than right now. Jade will be in if Simone is out.

i hope Suni becomes a real star this Olympics. she was the most solid today of team USA and is proving she is an athlete you can rely on and trust.

however, i think how things have panned out so far for the women says a lot about Tom's incompetence. Martha was horrible, but at least she knew how to pick a team. looks like USAG needs to go back to the drawing board yet again...shocker.
There were rumors at first of it being a “mental issue.” But then John said they were being told it was physical and that they would evaluate her for competitive readiness (hopefully in enough time to pull her out of the other events if she’s too injured to compete)

I wish no one would ever prematurely award an OGM in advance ever again. Just let the stories happen naturally.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I told y’all. I am *incensed.*. Not at the athletes who competed. At USAG for not picking the team they said they would (by math and not by placement).

Secondly, I will bet money Simone is injured and that someone made the decision to let her vault to allow her to get the gold medal and protect this narrative they’ve built. Had they subbed someone else in the USA world have probably still won. She had a really low vault score.

Well, to REALLY get you upset... if Simone has to withdraw from vault and/or floor finals, then I think Skinner would be able to compete as the third American in those finals. Vault, I'm certain of... floor I'm not certain of.

But I think she's already been sent home from Tokyo.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, to REALLY get you upset... if Simone has to withdraw from vault and/or floor finals, then I think Skinner would be able to compete as the third American in those finals. Vault, I'm certain of... floor I'm not certain of.

But I think she's already been sent home from Tokyo.
She would have time to get back. The men’s AA and women’s AA have to take place first.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
well to be fair, she IS the GOAT and always will be no matter what happens this Olympics. she's already cemented her spot in history by her results...the problem is the pressure and gloating of the entire world (namely the US) of how good she is and the expectations that have been placed on her.
Well, that's exactly my problem with the whole situation. And i'm blaming the media. Just let the girl compete, without making any fluff pieces about her and calling her name all the time. Of course that nobody will be mentally cool in those situations. I mean, i am in Serbia now, and nobody is talking about Djokovic as he is the only athlete in the world representing Serbia who must win gold. He is represented as an athlete who is taking the most photos with the other athletes in an Olympic village, and thats end there.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, that's exactly my problem with the whole situation. And i'm blaming the media. Just let the girl compete, without making any fluff pieces about her and calling her name all the time. Of course that nobody will be mentally cool in those situations. I mean, i am in Serbia now, and nobody is talking about Djokovic as he is the only athlete in the world representing Serbia who must win gold. He is represented as an athlete who is taking the most photos with the other athletes in an Olympic village, and thats end there.

Well from what's been said she wears goat leotards and posts on social media about her being the goat, so she's never shied away from the press and attention of being 'the goat'.

Big name athletes like Biles, Djokovic, Zagitova, Medvedeva, etc. all derive benefits from the press and crazy fan obsession with them because that usually means there is recognition which makes them more lucrative endorsement deals. Gotta take the good in with the bad

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Well from what's been said she wears goat leotards and posts on social media about her being the goat, so she's never shied away from the press and attention of being 'the goat'.

Big name athletes like Biles, Djokovic, Zagitova, Medvedeva, etc. all derive benefits from the press and crazy fan obsession with them because that usually means there is recognition which makes them more lucrative endorsement deals. Gotta take the good in with the bad
I agree with that, but my point was, to simplify - in many countries in the world (i've used Serbia for example - Novak Djokovic) the Olympic moto can be seen as to compete and to represent your country the best you can. With Simone Biles (in the USA) was to win or nothing. So i was talking about expectation of people's own society (as organizations, sport community and in the end the whole country) and translation of it through the media. Maybe was better to use the term 'society's representation/general view' instead of 'media', cause i was not talking particularly about 'social networks' when i used that term.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with that, but my point was, to simplify - in many countries in the world (i've used Serbia for example - Novak Djokovic) the Olympic moto can be seen as to compete and to represent your country the best you can. With Simone Biles (in the USA) was to win or nothing. So i was talking about expectation of people's own society (as organizations, sport community and in the end the whole country) and translation of it through the media. Maybe was better to use the term 'society's representation/general view' instead of 'media', cause i was not talking particularly about 'social networks' when i used that term.
No... you were right the first time. The problem starts with the media. Only from there does it trickle down to the masses who blindly latch on to whatever storyline NBC is pushing.

It's interesting that the NBC-appointed stars have underperformed so far. At swim trials, it was all about Simone Manuel in the pool, until she failed to qualify for the final in her specialty event. Ledecky has lost two races so far, but did win an important gold tonight, and good for her... she's a deserving champion. And of course, the whole nonsense about "the American B Team could still win gold" didn't pan out very well in gymnastics, did it? The women's soccer team started off with a fizzle, as did the American men's hoops team... I don't care enough about either of those teams to have any reaction other than to note the losses.

My favorite Olympic moments so far are the swimmer from Tunisia, and the medal winners from lesser known (in America) sports like shooting and fencing. I don't know about some of these sports very much, but it's likely that these athletes overperformed expectations... having the performances of their lives in the most critical juncture. Good for them!

By the way, I'm rooting for Novak. He sounds proud to be an Olympian.

Edit to add: Lily King is another NBC-appointed star who didn't live up to the golden hype. I'm really happy for the girl from Alaska.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Simone has officially withdrawn from the AA, no word about event finals that I know of.

Does this mean Jade Carey is in as the third American? Can't remember if they skip over 2pc'd athletes for the reserves list or not.

ETA: yes, Jade Carey will replace her.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Simone has officially withdrawn from the AA, no word about event finals that I know of.

Does this mean Jade Carey is in as the third American? Can't remember if they skip over 2pc'd athletes for the reserves list or not.

Wow.

macy

Record Breaker

yes, Jade is in. it will be really interesting to see who will win, i think it's up in the air. Likely between Lee, Carey, Melnikova, another Russian and maybe even Andrede. If Suni can hold it together, she has a really good shot.

It's official Skinner is sticking around in case she needs to do vault final.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
No... you were right the first time. The problem starts with the media. Only from there does it trickle down to the masses who blindly latch on to whatever storyline NBC is pushing.

It's interesting that the NBC-appointed stars have underperformed so far. At swim trials, it was all about Simone Manuel in the pool, until she failed to qualify for the final in her specialty event. Ledecky has lost two races so far, but did win an important gold tonight, and good for her... she's a deserving champion. And of course, the whole nonsense about "the American B Team could still win gold" didn't pan out very well in gymnastics, did it? The women's soccer team started off with a fizzle, as did the American men's hoops team... I don't care enough about either of those teams to have any reaction other than to note the losses.

My favorite Olympic moments so far are the swimmer from Tunisia, and the medal winners from lesser known (in America) sports like shooting and fencing. I don't know about some of these sports very much, but it's likely that these athletes overperformed expectations... having the performances of their lives in the most critical juncture. Good for them!

By the way, I'm rooting for Novak. He sounds proud to be an Olympian.

Edit to add: Lily King is another NBC-appointed star who didn't live up to the golden hype. I'm really happy for the girl from Alaska.
I mean, NBC did a lot of stuffs regarding this Olympics. My friend involved in Romanian swimming complained to me how the network paid to change the schedule of the competition so the swimming finals would be at the prime time for their public in USA. But for the swimmers from Europe who were never trained to have a final after they woke up it was a nightmare decision. And as you are saying, it planned bad for USA swimmers too. Because no athlete is made to produce their best results in their own morning.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean, NBC did a lot of stuffs regarding this Olympics. My friend involved in Romanian swimming complained to me how the network paid to change the schedule of the competition so the swimming finals would be at the prime time for their public in USA. But for the swimmers from Europe who were never trained to have a final after they woke up it was a nightmare decision. And as you are saying, it planned bad for USA swimmers too. Because no athlete is made to produce their best results in their own morning.

Your complaint, of course, is with the IOC who sold the broadcast rights to NBC with these provisos.

If the IOC and Mr. Thomas Bach did not want to have the events at unusual local times, they had the capacity to set them whenever they wanted.:shrug: They chose to accept the money.

If I offer to buy something from you, and you agree to my conditions for purchase, that's not my fault that you agreed. ETA: You could always choose not to sell, or to sell to someone with different conditions. :)