2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 South Korean Figure Skating

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was lucky enough to see Young You at the Cranberry Cup this past weekend! She skated really well - unfortunately only landed one of her 3As and had a fluke of a fall on a 3Lz in her free, so ended up 2nd overall. But she skated with a lot of speed and flow, nice interpretation, and some beautiful lines and extension. TBH I wasn't sure how I was going to like the Les Mis program (it's such a warhorse), but she really won me over!

breadstal

Record Breaker
JGP series will start tomorrow in France. Ahsun and Soyeon will compete in singles and Lim/Quan in ice dance. With no Russians in the first event, both girls have a good chance for medals, I'd even say Ahsun is favorite to win :) Ahsun will also complete right away at JGP France II.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Did I curse the girls 😭 Seoyeon did well, outside of the two-foot landing on the combo. Danse Macabre is a little bit too overwhelming for her though, I think. I'm devasted for Ahsun. It shows how dangerous is leaving combination as the last jumping pass in SP. She still looked great out there and deserved higher PCS 😤 Manifesting clean free programs for both 📿

breadstal

Record Breaker
In juniors that's less of a concern because you only get one shot at the combination anyway.
The lutz was not attempted combo though, since it was a pop, no? So if 3Lz-3T was a first jumping pass, and she would pop the lutz, she'd have a chance to get combo with the next triple, if I'm thinking correctly.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
The lutz was not attempted combo though, since it was a pop, no? So if 3Lz-3T was a first jumping pass, and she would pop the lutz, she'd have a chance to get combo with the next triple, if I'm thinking correctly.
Not in Juniors, in juniors for the sp there is mandatory solo jump that isu assigns each season (either lz,F or Lo) this season its the flip. This means theres only 1 chance to get the combo in for juniors and if they miss that they cant add it into the other jump passes. Thats why its less risky to backload the combo in juniors than in seniors.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Not in Juniors, in juniors for the sp there is mandatory solo jump that isu assigns each season (either lz,F or Lo) this season its the flip. This means theres only 1 chance to get the combo in for juniors and if they miss that they cant add it into the other jump passes. Thats why its less risky to backload the combo in juniors than in seniors.
The way I completely forgot about that rule :cry: Thank you!

Dawn825

Medalist
I don't really love Ahsun's FP for her but the dress was gorgeous and her jumps had great height and landing edges, I was surprised and impressed with every single one (the random fall I think was the same as Young's, kind of a fluke and nobody's perfect this early in the season).

breadstal

Record Breaker
So, Ahsun was 5th and Seoyeon was 4th. Sadly, no medal for Korean girls :cry: Very nice comeback from Ahsun, outside of that one fall. I really enjoyed her program, I think it has a lot of potential. Seoyeon skated two good programs, good for her! Ted was saying there is a high altitude, which might have affected the skaters. Ahsun will compete here again, but she probably will get used to it fully, after a week. Hope she will get to skate cleanly next week 💗

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Protocols for the Nebelhorn/Universiade selections (Men and Women's SPs)

Men

1. Lee Sihyeong 70.34
2. Jeong Deokhoon 62.24
3. Kyeong Jaeseok 55.19
Park Geonwoo WD

Women

1. Kim Haneul 62.57
2. Choi Dabin 51.78
3. Kim Nahyun 49.16
4, Lee Hyunsoo 43.52

Apparently Min/Eaton haven't sent in their videos yet, but since the Nebelhorn spot is automatically theirs anyway (shrugs) With the men, Sihyeong leads as expected (go land that quad sal at Nebelhorn my homeboy and get that Olympic spot), Jaeseok fell on his 3A and is currently last but there is the free (Deokhoon doesn't have a 3A). As for the women the order is exactly as I expected, I'm just crying over the fact that Dabin skated in a competitive setting in two seasons

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
Apparently Min/Eaton haven't sent in their videos yet, but since the Nebelhorn spot is automatically theirs anyway (shrugs),

Sometimes I get the impression that South Korean Fed likes to over-complicate matters. In Ice Dance they have only 1 senior couple. I understand they have been off-ice for months because of an injury (I think it was Eaton) and so they could want to check their current shape (not that they have any others to send even if they would be out of shape).
However, Min/Eaton competed in an international competition last week. So they could have watched them (there was a livestream) along with the marks received by judges to understand their current level of shape. Why do they really need to see them on video again?

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
However, Min/Eaton competed in an international competition last week. So they could have seen them (there was a livestream) along with the marks received by judges to understand their current level of shape. Why do they really need to see them on video again?
Because KSU is idiotic and incompetent. Just don't expect actual thought and sense from them and you'll be less frustrated

Briananing

On the Ice
Uh.. i m sorry but i dont like that dance macabre from seoyeon. She was so charismatic perfoming that in 2019/2020, but here she just seems bored. I would rather have her turn her current ex program "river" to a proper short program, may be not for this season. Tammy is listed as her coach, but from the ig posts etc, Seoyeon always seems to be in Korea, so when did she change her coach to Tammy ?

Speaking of costumes like we usually do with korean ladies lol, i m so glad that ahsun get rid of her test skates tiara, it looked too modern and so out of place for the mummies program. But then, what were they thinking in giving her ice princess dress with big necklace for smells like teen spirit ? She is a jumper though, wish that she would just lift her free leg a bit when landing, the judges would love that.

Reactions: chz

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Tammy is listed as her coach, but from the ig posts etc, Seoyeon always seems to be in Korea, so when did she change her coach to Tammy ?
When she's in the US Tammy Gambil is her coach, she partially trains in Colorado Springs similar to Young.