2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Not to mention also trashing Mozalev, Kondratiuk and the entire Russian men's field, really :(

BTW I was curious who Anatoly Samokhvalov is so I googled him, and saw some headline from a dodgy aggregator about Estonia rejecting his visa for Euros because they deemed him a 'threat to internal security'... Wondering if someone who reads Russian media can verify this?
If so maybe it would explain why he is in such a stroppy mood lately :cautious:
Samokhvalov wrote in December 2020 that Shcherbakova competed at the Russian Championships with a temperature of 38 degrees (the article was published after the short program). In 2021 in Budapest, Samokhvalov was one of two journalists who, according to Gleikhengauz, burst into a bus with athletes, demanding an immediate answer to a question about Shcherbakova's injury.

In addition, Estonia really refused to let Samokhvalov into the territory of this country, claiming that he poses a threat to national security. Of all the possible claims against Samokhvalov, this is the most ridiculous.

But in general, I can only agree with the anonymoose_au - our sports journalism is a real trash. Sports.ru, for example, published an "opinion on figure skating" by some unknown idiot and involved Tarasova, Gleikhengauz, Bestemyanova and Zhulin in a two-day (!) discussion. By the way, Zhulin has recently become some kind of favorite source of hype, almost every day he is asked stupid questions and gets even more stupid (and at the same time embittered) answers as a result ...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh my god, this is terrible. And I really don’t feel like the answer is ‘go Kolyada, prove yourself to the haters!’ Or the rest of the Russian men.

Gonna go watch juniors now and try to project love across Atlantic. All of them are so talented and fun, junior and senior, Olympian or not. ❤️

Also, as expected, results are not particularly good on the dye job, but I gave it my best shot.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia

Figure skater Ilya Yablokov commented on the victory at the Russian Championship among juniors in Saransk.

“I skated badly. I tried to make you happy, but it didn't work. We will work further.

I have a new quadruple - salchow. In training, I collect it quite often, but it did not work out here. After the salchow, I didn’t have time to get ready for the rittberger, and after that - for the toeloop. For the rest, I tried to collect my head and turn on in order to somehow brighten up this bad performance.

Maybe it was not worth it (to include a new quadruple), but still I want to move on, complicate the content. Our guys are moving forward, like Mark Kondratyuk at Europe. I congratulate him, but we need to catch up with him, try to overtake him.

In fact, I see even greater reserves where to move on. I'm not going to stop there. This rental is not an indicator, but since I insert a new quadruple, it means that I get it in training. I hope to please soon with new quads.

I used to have a quadruple loop, two toeloop and two axels in the program. And I couldn’t jump three three-three combinations. So we decided to insert a new quad.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ilya did not have the cleanest skate but it is a smart layout that still collects a lot of points even if the quads fail as happened today. Also mad respect to him for pulling himself together after what must have felt like a catastrophic start to the program. He fought for every tenth of a point and in the end got rewarded with a gold medal. Maybe it was not a triumphant victory today, but first place is still first place. Well done! 🍨🍎🥇

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sorry, last thought… I regret so much that Kutovoy couldn’t compete in Saransk. With how it went, he had a shot at the podium

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I wonder if the talk that the ice was too cold (particularly after resurfacing) is true. There were some odd-looking mistakes (particularly outside of quads, mistakes on those are not unexpected).
As for the journalists, well, you have to get news from somewhere. I know everyone hates sports.ru, but it can be a good aggregator, just don't ever read the comments.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
So the question is will Lutfullin be sent to JWorlds if he recovers (and also does he have covid or not? Surely the PCR test is back by now. This looks mighty suspicious).

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I wonder if the talk that the ice was too cold (particularly after resurfacing) is true. There were some odd-looking mistakes (particularly outside of quads, mistakes on those are not unexpected).
That would explain things, especially with the girls being uncharacteristically messy too. A lot of unsaved landings/popped edge jumps looked like blade slippage.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Dunno why but I was kinda expecting Luigi green. Or one of the greens from @elektra blue color classes. DO OVER! 💚🍏🥬
That’s what they had in the drugstore, heh. The box says it washes out to green, or potentially can, I guess? Along with the many warnings to keep the expectations low. The colour will stick till Olympics anyway, maybe it will be greener by the time our bronze one skates SP. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I would not be surprised if there was ice issue. Just so many falls…
I heard Titova talk about something strange happening to her blade on take-off. She may not have been the only one but the commentators talk over everything. So nice at CoR where you can hear everything that the coaches and skaters are saying, although that has a downside such as Mishin being hauled over the coals for his comment to Lutfullin not to jump 3Lz+3Lo like Shcherbakova does because he could get penalised for that.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As for the journalists, well, you have to get news from somewhere. I know everyone hates sports.ru, but it can be a good aggregator, just don't ever read the comments.
I always wonder if we should deign ourselves to give these sites clicks though. I mean doesn't that just encourage them to keep writing crap? I mean if only one of us does it fine, but if we all go on...

I would not be surprised if there was ice issue. Just so many falls…
Lutzes in particular were cursed...

But yeah, I'm pretty sure ice for figure skating should be softer, which makes sense in terms of jumps.

Poor boys it was quite a mess...

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I always wonder if we should deign ourselves to give these sites clicks though. I mean doesn't that just encourage them to keep writing crap? I mean if only one of us does it fine, but if we all go on...

Lutzes in particular were cursed...

But yeah, I'm pretty sure ice for figure skating should be softer, which makes sense in terms of jumps.

Poor boys it was quite a mess...
Yeah, nobody could figure out why Sarnovsky popped two lutzes when he'd never popped a lutz before, including Kirill himself. But attaching -Eu-3S to a 1Lz is not something you see often. Good presence of mind.

People are discussing if there is any point in sending 15-year-old Ugozhaev with one unsuccessful quad attempt and a bit of an UR problem to Junior Worlds, but I hope we won't now have reskates for Jr Worlds too, those poor boys' nerves are not made of steel. There is the issue of Lutfullin of course, and who will stay at home if he's selected. By placements it should be Kovalev, but he needs this competition for turning senior.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, nobody could figure out why Sarnovsky popped two lutzes when he'd never popped a lutz before, including Kirill himself. But attaching -Eu-3S to a 1Lz is not something you see often. Good presence of mind.
OMG I know! I actually did this :palmf: when the pops happened. I thought for sure Kirill would be all right despite the 3A fall, his other triples seem very solid.

But yes, good on him for doing that combo! A lot more points would have been lost had he not.

I hope he still gets a JGP spot next season though.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
OMG I know! I actually did this :palmf: when the pops happened. I thought for sure Kirill would be all right despite the 3A fall, his other triples seem very solid.

But yes, good on him for doing that combo! A lot more points would have been lost had he not.

I hope he still gets a JGP spot next season though.
The JGP spots are decided at the test skates, so he should be fine if he does well there. He placed lower than here at the last Junior Nationals. Considering that the juniors are definitely minus Kovalev next season, and almost certainly Yablokov and Lutfullin, he should make the main junior team.

ETA: He'll participate in the elder age junior nationals too I expect and can place well there.

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Oh my god, this is terrible. And I really don’t feel like the answer is ‘go Kolyada, prove yourself to the haters!’ Or the rest of the Russian men.

Gonna go watch juniors now and try to project love across Atlantic. All of them are so talented and fun, junior and senior, Olympian or not. ❤️

Also, as expected, results are not particularly good on the dye job, but I gave it my best shot.

Kudos for dyeing it. Mint green comes to mind. Brave and committed I like that. 👍 well. Done ,@lariko ...👏👏💚