2017 Worlds Pairs SP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs SP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And that is also a way of looking at it that I never thought of.

Yep. The people making the selections for the Olympics will look back at recent results at the Majors. And if you don't have a result, that will certainly place you at a disadvantage.

CaroLiza_fan

+ world standing points... etc...

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Yep. The people making the selections for the Olympics will look back at recent results at the Majors. And if you don't have a result, that will certainly place you at a disadvantage.

CaroLiza_fan

But it's also a case of "I know I'm needed to qualify Olympic spots, but I could very well injure myself badly enough where I'm not in contention for those spots we DO get" to consider.

sowcow

On the Ice
Canada is right on the bubble for three spots which is NOT something I'm happy to see...

Kirsten Moore-Towers is probably at home in Canada screaming the same thing at her TV.

Well, I'm sure Julianne and Charlie are worried too!

Hopefully D/R and I/M have a strong FS... they can definitely beat Z/E, and pull a 4CC and beat Y/Z, which would give them some wiggle room on the 3 spots.

With only 5.15 points separating 4th from 11th spot, it'll be a nail-biter FS for sure!!

4[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 75.23 ︱ Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG — CHN
5[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 74.26 ︱ Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT — RUS
6[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 73.14 ︱ Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH — CAN
7[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 72.67 ︱ Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD — CAN
8[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 72.17 ︱ Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM — USA
9[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 71.04 ︱ Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK — ITA
10[SUP]th[/SUP]︱ 70.10 ︱ Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES — FRA
11[SUP]th[/SUP]︱ 70.08 ︱ Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE — ITA

Am I correct that for CAN to qualify 3 teams for the Olympics, their top-2 teams need to have a combined placement of ≤ 13[SUP]th[/SUP]? So...

• 4[SUP]th[/SUP] + 9[SUP]th[/SUP] (or better)
  • 5[SUP]th[/SUP] + 8[SUP]th[/SUP] (or better)
  • 6[SUP]th [/SUP]+ 7[SUP]th[/SUP]
[SUP]
:scratch2:

[/SUP]

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Judge No.5 Ms. Beatrice PFISTER SUI.GIF Switzerland
Give 76.40 to Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN and put them on 6th place.
GoE: 7.40
PCS: 35.20

same judge give Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT 79.70 and put them on 1st place
GoE: 6.00
PCS: 36.60

UnChosen

On the Ice
S/M and T/M are both way too close to S/H for what they did...if they were both totally clean I could understand but they were not.

This better not come back to haunt S/H in the free with a repeat of a Boyang/Patrick scenario. I can already see S/M landing a somewhat clean 3ATh in the free and beat S/H just like that.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm still in shock, don't know what to say about Ksenia & Fedor. :sad4:, but I thought their display of unity in the k&c was nice. Hope they're not losing their nerve prior to LP.

Now they have nothing to lose. The responsibility to keep spots lay on T/M and Z/E shoulders. They can only go higher in ranking, as I doubt their FP could be worse disaster than this SP. The tension should be long gone, since they now have almost zero chances to even be close to podium.

PS After Wordls, I'm making avatar out of their K&C. They were so sweet :biggrin:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i hope S/H don't lose the gold because of the judges stupid scoring. They deserve gold.

Well, they won't lose because of the judges' scoring. They could lose if they make errors like the SBS 3S which has been an issue. I think they will hold off for the win, but I would be happy with S/M winning too. I can't stand the cheesefest that is T/M's freeskate, but they also skate very clean, neat elements even though I don't find them particularly World Champ worthy, so Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran-type bronze would be well-deserved.

Although secretly, I want James/Cipres to pull off a FS like they did at Euros and snatch bronze. :biggrin:

Kutien

Final Flight
SP
1Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN81.231video
2Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT GER79.842video
3Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS79.373video
4Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG CHN75.234video
5Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT RUS74.265video
6Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN73.146video
7Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN72.677video
8Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM USA72.178video
9Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA71.049video
10Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA70.1010video
11Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA70.0811video
12Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU CAN66.3112video
13Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS65.6913video
14Tae Ok RYOM / Ju Sik KIMPRK64.5214video
15Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR CZE63.3615video
16Ekaterina ALEXANDROVSKAYA / Harley WINDSOR AUS62.0316video
Sumire SUTO / Francis BOUDREAU-AUDET JPNvideo17
Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUTvideo18
Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nolan SEEGERT GERvideo19
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USAvideo20
Lana PETRANOVIC / Antonio SOUZA-KORDEIRU CROvideo21
Goda BUTKUTE / Nikita ERMOLAEV LTUvideo22
Tatiana DANILOVA / Mikalai KAMIANCHUK BLRvideo23
Daria BEKLEMISHEVA / Mark MAGYAR HUNvideo24
Emilia SIMONEN / Matthew PENASSE FINvideo25
Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI GBRvideo26
Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOV FRAvideo27
Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Noah SCHERER SUIvideo28

moriel

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

Or even if they dont look like this, lets say T/M. Suppose they WD here and Russia ends up with 2 spots only.
Then, next year V/T return Alyona style and S/K are in top form. Or Z/E improve a lot and T/M underperform at nationals. And there is no Olympic spot for T/M then. It is a higher risk.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Right enough. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Yeah, practice is far too late to call up a replacement.

Natalia and Sasha did very well. But, it would have been too much pressure on them in the FS if they alone were the ones that the Fed were relying on to earn the slots.

CaroLiza_fan

I always thought Katarina Gerboldt was his ideal partner, but Natalia is even better.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
conference after SP just ended and Cong managed to make me cry :sad21: he is THE BEST! :cry: and Sui teasing him never gets old :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Now they have nothing to lose. The responsibility to keep spots lay on T/M and Z/E shoulders. They can only go higher in ranking, as I doubt their FP could be worse disaster than this SP. The tension should be long gone, since they now have almost zero chances to even be close to podium.

After Worls, I'm makin avatar out of their K&C :biggrin:

Yeah, it was nice to see them chipper given the absolute disaster of their SP. They are also fortunate the judges gave them 34 PCS in spite of THREE errors, including two falls - they should be behind the North Koreans, and arguably the Czech team too. Hopefully they can move up in the FS, and Russia should thank their lucky stars that Z/E are in position to maintain 3 spots.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
S/M and T/M are both way too close to S/H for what they did...if they were both totally clean I could understand but they were not.

This better not come back to haunt S/H in the free with a repeat of a Boyang/Patrick scenario. I can already see S/M landing a somewhat clean 3ATh in the free and beat S/H just like that.

I agree with your first line but
please leave Patrick out of that... Thank you.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
With only 5.15 points separating 4th from 11th spot, it'll be a nail-biter FS for sure!!

4[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 75.23 ︱ Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG — CHN
5[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 74.26 ︱ Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT — RUS
6[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 73.14 ︱ Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH — CAN
7[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 72.67 ︱ Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD — CAN
8[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 72.17 ︱ Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM — USA
9[SUP]th[/SUP] ︱ 71.04 ︱ Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK — ITA
10[SUP]th[/SUP]︱ 70.10 ︱ Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES — FRA
11[SUP]th[/SUP]︱ 70.08 ︱ Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE — ITA

Am I correct that for CAN to qualify 3 teams for the Olympics, their top-2 teams need to have a combined placement of ≤ 13[SUP]th[/SUP]? So...

• 4[SUP]th[/SUP] + 9[SUP]th[/SUP] (or better)
  • 5[SUP]th[/SUP] + 8[SUP]th[/SUP] (or better)
  • 6[SUP]th [/SUP]+ 7[SUP]th[/SUP]
[SUP]
:scratch2:

[/SUP]

Yup! As long as it's a combo that adds up to 13 or less! Yes, the FS will be a nail biter indeed.