2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Wow that Samurai program posing with a sword is all sort of weird, Elena from outerspace I will always love you in tin foil hat darth cape weird. Perhaps the two should do duet gala program together just to see what happens. Ice melt. Volcano erupts. Storm and lightning. Sun Eclipse. Electric fireworks. Brain melts. Tears in eyes.
Samurai Machida + outerspace Elena :drama::laugh2::drama::cheer2::cool:

KansaiPJ

On the Ice
Why exactly do the men get <24 hours to recover/prepare for the free but the ladies get almost 48 hours? You'd think the men with their quads would need more rest. I feel like every time this happens the men have a splat-fest.

I agree with you. People wonder about the falls in FS, but when you give the skaters less than 24 hours between routines, it is bound to happen...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woke up to find that Hanyu had scored 94, and thought, oh, he must have finally gone clean.

*shakes head* This is beyond a joke. I thought the days of inflation were bad, but it seems Hanyuflation is worse! No way should anyone be cracking 90 with a fall!

Woke up to find that Hanyu had scored 94, and thought, oh, he must have finally gone clean.

*shakes head* This is beyond a joke. I thought the days of inflation were bad, but it seems Hanyuflation is worse! No way should anyone be cracking 90 with a fall!

The ISU has boxed itself into a corner. They give .2 points for tying your bootlaces and another .3 for scratching your butt. This guarantees that skaters like Chan and Hanyu, who are really, really good, will always rack up big points no matter how bad their performance is.

This makes a mockery of the notion of sport. In American football, suppose the star wide receiver goes out for a pass, runs a stunningly complicated route, fakes out the defensive back, breaks into the clear with a burst of speed -- but drops the ball. Should we give him 5.95 points instead of the 6-point touchdown because he demonstrated such remarkable "football skills?"

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Why exactly do the men get <24 hours to recover/prepare for the free but the ladies get almost 48 hours? You'd think the men with their quads would need more rest. I feel like every time this happens the men have a splat-fest.

I agree, it's poor planning but I guess they're trying to make sure there are exciting events everyday, Ladies/Pairs on the first day, Mens/ID the next, they should split it more evenly

I think no falls should be the minimal expectation, not something to be rewarded.

:clap:

Well there was Worlds 2014...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Maybe someone is just really happy to have a reigning OGM skating and competing.

kimganos

On the Ice

The score might have been too high but the placement was correct.

The score might have been too high but the placement was correct.

I wish the ISU would give serious thought to this. I feel the same way about most skating contests. The placements are correct but the scores are crazy.

Explain to me again why we like point totals better than ordinal placements?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wish the ISU would give serious thought to this. I feel the same way about most skating contests. The placements are correct but the scores are crazy.

point totals give us more to argue about...:biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Do you think the ISU raises the average score every four years just to keep us talking. It is interesting at times watching people attempt to compare skaters and scores from different seasons though wildly varying rules/punishment practices /rewards were in place. Someone needs to make a poster or graph with pictures that properly convert scores by season into a nice number for all to agree on :)

Regarding Javi: So sad for him. Skating at home can be such a double edged sword. The support and pressure can hurt as much as help. Considering the rare opportunity for him to skate such a big event at home makes me double sad.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
This makes a mockery of the notion of sport. In American football, suppose the star wide receiver goes out for a pass, runs a stunningly complicated route, fakes out the defensive back, breaks into the clear with a burst of speed -- but drops the ball. Should we give him 5.95 points instead of the 6-point touchdown because he demonstrated such remarkable "football skills?"

Yup, getting real sick of all the falls, yet 'rewarding the effort' with 70% of the points that a cleanly landed jump would get you. With this system in place, it's actually better to attempt the jump and fall on your butt than it is to pop a jump or only get a single/double rotation and clean landing with a positive GoE. This is why we see so many skaters, especially the men, hurling themselves into the air to try to get those 3-4 rotations and rack up the points, regardless of whether they can land on their feet or not.

I'd rather see a cleanly skated program win a medal than a messy/flawed program, regardless of the technical points awarded to 'good attempts' at a triple or quad. It's really laughable that someone can win a silver medal after falling 5 times. To me, that is a disaster any way you look at it.

Skate within your abilities, and work to pull together a seamless program without any major errors. Those are the memorable programs that stick with me and I want to re-watch over the years.

begin

Medalist

I imagine the judges and ISU enjoy seeing the sport progress--even if in actuality, that's not the case.

WYW

Rinkside
Yup, getting real sick of all the falls, yet 'rewarding the effort' with 70% of the points that a cleanly landed jump would get you. With this system in place, it's actually better to attempt the jump and fall on your butt than it is to pop a jump or only get a single/double rotation and clean landing with a positive GoE. This is why we see so many skaters, especially the men, hurling themselves into the air to try to get those 3-4 rotations and rack up the points, regardless of whether they can land on their feet or not.

I'd rather see a cleanly skated program win a medal than a messy/flawed program, regardless of the technical points awarded to 'good attempts' at a triple or quad. It's really laughable that someone can win a silver medal after falling 5 times. To me, that is a disaster any way you look at it.

Skate within your abilities, and work to pull together a seamless program without any major errors. Those are the memorable programs that stick with me and I want to re-watch over the years.

I agree with most of what you said. But just a thought... anyone can land a single or a double, but only a handful of people can rotate and fall on a quad <-- which I believe is the logic behind giving a fall on a quad more points. To answer Mathman earlier about why scores are better than ordinals. Remember that the sport is more than just the elite skaters (although it is a big and arguably the most important part). Imagine yourself as a judge at an intermediate level competition. There are 30 girls all with similar technical patterns, can do all the doubles, similar spin quality etc. Sure you are going to have some who are clearly better and some clearly not at the same level, but the vast majority of them are indistinguishable. As you slowly judge this competition, you realize that it is becoming impossible to accurately place the skaters... and that is the beauty of the point system from a judges perspective. Judges no longer need to rank skaters, no longer need to juggle between difficulty of program vs X number of falls. Judges are just required to look at each element and give a GOE based on their interpretation of the jump according to book. The computers and predetermined point totals takes over the rest.

I think we can all agree that the current system does not punish falls enough, and that there are many things that need to be changed. I believe that we do sometimes care a bit too much about the scores, and it is important keep in mind that the point system is put into place so we can award points to skaters more consistently (and hopefully rank them properly!). In 2 or 3 years, we don't (or at least I don't) remember the point totals of the skates. However, I do remember the final rankings of the competition, and ultimately, it is the rankings that are truly important.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU has boxed itself into a corner. They give .2 points for tying your bootlaces and another .3 for scratching your butt. This guarantees that skaters like Chan and Hanyu, who are really, really good, will always rack up big points no matter how bad their performance is.

:thumbsup::rofl:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with most of what you said. But just a thought... anyone can land a single or a double, but only a handful of people can rotate and fall on a quad <-- which I believe is the logic behind giving a fall on a quad more points. To answer Mathman earlier about why scores are better than ordinals. Remember that the sport is more than just the elite skaters (although it is a big and arguably the most important part). Imagine yourself as a judge at an intermediate level competition. There are 30 girls all with similar technical patterns, can do all the doubles, similar spin quality etc. Sure you are going to have some who are clearly better and some clearly not at the same level, but the mast majority of them are indistinguishable. As you slowly judge this competition, you realize that it is becoming impossible to accurately place the skaters... and that is the beauty of the system from a judges perspective. Judges no longer need to rank skaters, no longer need to juggle between difficulty of program vs X number of falls. Judges are just required to look at each element and give a GOE based on their interpretation of the jump according to book. The computers and predetermined point totals takes over the rest.

I think we can all agree that the current system does not punish falls enough, and that there are many things that need to be changed. I believe that we do sometimes care a bit too much about the scores, and it is important keep in mind that the point system is put into place so we can award points to skaters more consistently (and hopefully rank them properly!). In 2 or 3 years, we don't (or at least I don't) remember the point totals of the skates. However, I do remember the final rankings of the competition, and ultimately, it is the rankings that are truly important.

I love this post!! Thank you and why don't you post more often. ;)

lady_bee

Medalist

That's what I am worried about.
I think that was the reason why men had splat-fest in Sochi:mad:

peg

Medalist
But don't the skaters skate on back-to-back days at GP events? There's not usually a rest day, is there?

lady_bee

Medalist
Wow that Samurai program posing with a sword is all sort of weird, Elena from outerspace I will always love you in tin foil hat darth cape weird. Perhaps the two should do duet gala program together just to see what happens. Ice melt. Volcano erupts. Storm and lightning. Sun Eclipse. Electric fireworks. Brain melts. Tears in eyes.

I'd love to watch it:laugh2:
It's off the topic, but I want to say, Elena is not acting someone from outer-space, but Whitney Houston in the movie "The Bodyguard" .
(I don't understand why her team piked up that old movie which appeals only to people over age 40s.)