2014-2015 Programs by Discipline | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 Programs by Discipline

Sk8erEmmy

Spectator
According to IceNetwork, Jeremy Abbott's new SP will be "Latch" by Sam Smith and Disclosure. Super excited for this!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Souyoun's FS music cut is great! I feel that her skating is too soft and sweet for the tragic music though.

I don't mind the music but I do agree that she skates kinda softly, which isn't a bad thing...once you've established yourself. For skaters who are trying to "get on the radar" it's always a good idea to go a little bigger in terms of leaving an impact. The program is okay (not good, not bad, just okay) and her skating is lovely but in a field with Gracie, Elena, Mirai, Liza T, Mae Berenice and Samantha, I don't know if it will leave a lasting impact.

The jumps looked good. She had to fight for a few but overall it was a solid early season performance. Was she going for a 3S-3T at the beginning? She stepped out of the 3S but I'm almost sure it was supposed to be a 3-3. Upping her content with a 3S-3T and 2A-3T plus two lutzes should help her technically. The name of the game for her is going to be consistency.

supsu

On the Ice
He skated this as his exhibition at Worlds 2014 and then on the whole SOI US tour this Spring.
Fantastic program! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlsJ2W3YmgQ

Albeit, the version he's using for competition will be a shortened version and possibly the acoustic. ;)

Oh no...
That song is all about the lyrics and the singing.. for me anyways. but i'm excited.

Also, why Jeremy always puts his hands on the back for a short time in his programs? I've seen it many times and can't remember others doing this. What is he trying "to tell" with this in his choreography?

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Oh no...
That song is all about the lyrics and the singing.. for me anyways. but i'm excited.

Also, why Jeremy always puts his hands on the back for a short time in his programs? I've seen it many times and can't remember others doing this. What is he trying "to tell" with this in his choreography?
Exactly what are you talking about? Perhaps I can help you understand. :)

centerpt1

On the Ice
After getting hosed in PCS at Worlds, I thought Jeremy would opt for traditional SP and LP.

Latch may be a mistake.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
We didn't know initially which Rachmaniov for Elena, but on the 'Russian babies' thread someone posted a video with a clip of her new program and said it's Rach 3. I haven't watched the video yet myself as I just got off work but here it is:

http://vk.com/id16075772?z=video16075772_168968667/videos16075772

Regarding Anna P, she recently did an exhibition to the piece, there are at least 2 versions of that on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNOfJ8OVbHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_OSpXb-eI

I'm impressed with those skates, Anna is showing more emotion than I have associated with her in the past. Hope that bodes well for her competitive version!

I like Anna P, but was that first video a warm-up or something? Because I saw at least two flukes where she lost her edge, it seemed really sloppy. Kind of disappointed. :rolleye:

EDIT: Actually, having finished the video, that entire program was a disaster. 3Lo just barely made it, fall on 2A, euh.

Also I see Sotni is using her exhibition music for both of her programs? Interesting...

Polina's choices made to play up her fiery side in SP, same for Radionova. Expecting lots of this: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMKeu1w52BmrsyrKatak8cf-uSekA7tikEgB--lYQjhZpjviDIpifUiGct ( you know, "Ice Princess" reference :laugh:)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
He skated this as his exhibition at Worlds 2014 and then on the whole SOI US tour this Spring.

Albeit, the version he's using for competition will be a shortened version and possibly the acoustic. ;)

Love Jeremy's choice. Thanks for doing making something contemporarily relevant. Nowhere near a Bolero, Phantom, Carmen TG!!

Truth be told, there are so many undiscovered music gems from every period of music history, and 21st century is sadly neglected, and it doesn't have to mean orchestral OSTs or Disney songs only. Love it! Latch at Sochi would have been even more perfect, but it will do. I am glad he chose something that appeals to him rather than the judges. The judges need to be re-educated and challenged if the sport need to move forward to be relevant again.
(Plus Sam Smith is likely to be the one succeed Adele to do the new Bond movie, he is the new Adele.)

unico

Final Flight

I mean, I'm glad he's skating to something contemporary, but I just...am not a fan of this EX. A bit disappointed, hopefully I'll like the SP version better.

Jannetty

Spectator
Alexander Petrov (RUS)
SP: Granada by Raul di Blasio
LP: Vivaldi's The Four Seasons (modern arrangement)

Skategmt

On the Ice
It will be interesting to see Gracie Gold and Kanako Murakami both compete at NHK with the same music (POTO). Also, since Polina is always being compared to the Russian ladies, I think it will be interesting for her to have the same short music as Radionova.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I mean, I'm glad he's skating to something contemporary, but I just...am not a fan of this EX. A bit disappointed, hopefully I'll like the SP version better.

Have you seen him skate this program live? It's quite a different experience live and pretty fantastic!

Alba

Record Breaker
I am glad he chose something that appeals to him rather than the judges. The judges need to be re-educated and challenged if the sport need to move forward to be relevant again.

At this point, I must say the skaters and their choreo. needs to be educated first. The rules now allow vocals as well and what do they choose? POTO, Carmen, Bolero, Ave Maria. Who's fault is that?!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Love Jeremy's choice. Thanks for doing making something contemporarily relevant. Nowhere near a Bolero, Phantom, Carmen TG!!

Truth be told, there are so many undiscovered music gems from every period of music history, and 21st century is sadly neglected, and it doesn't have to mean orchestral OSTs or Disney songs only. Love it! Latch at Sochi would have been even more perfect, but it will do. I am glad he chose something that appeals to him rather than the judges. The judges need to be re-educated and challenged if the sport need to move forward to be relevant again.
(Plus Sam Smith is likely to be the one succeed Adele to do the new Bond movie, he is the new Adele.)

:agree:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
At this point, I must say the skaters and their choreo. needs to be educated first. The rules now allow vocals as well and what do they choose? POTO, Carmen, Bolero, Ave Maria. Who's fault is that?!

People choose what they 'think' judges are comfortable to mark to gain maximum points. If the judges prove this works, skaters are going to continue to choose safe familiar choices. POTO, Carmen, Bolero have all won major Championships these past quads, so can't blame them.

It is usually up to the leader of the sports to take the risks and pave the way forward, but whether they get rewarded can affect how everyone else choose their material next years. Jeremy has shown he is one of the leaders of the sport by his choices, kind of like Daisuke has always tried to do but sometimes fail without the right choreographer.

Alba

Record Breaker
If judges shown a willingness to reward new exciting unconventional programs more, then most skaters (the contenders) simply str not going to take the risk since they won't get rewarded. It is usually up to the leader of the sports to takes risks and pave the way forward, but whether they get rewarded can affect how everyone else will choose their material next years. Jeremy has shown he is one of the leader of his sport by his choices, kind of like Daisuke has always tries to do but sometimes fail without the right choreographer.

True, but it's also true that it's not enough just to choose an "original", new, choice of music or choreo. You also have to deliver, and in many cases I haven't seen that, although people were complaining about the judges not rewarding the effort.
Also, as you mentioned, you really need a good choreo, if you're going for something unusual, or more creative.

Wo|flax

Final Flight
People choose what they 'think' judges are comfortable to mark to gain maximum points. If the judges prove this works, skaters are going to continue to choose safe familiar choices. POTO, Carmen, Bolero have all won major Championships these past quads, so can't blame them.

To be fair, Yuzuru's PW is an unusual music choice and the judges certainly rewarded that (though that might be independent of music choice and more to do with his tech possibly I guess?); and Jason got a good mark for his BV at the olympics for the Prince SP. There are others that didn't get so rewarded for different music like Reynolds or Jeremy, but they haven't been able to back it up tech-wise.

I do think it's true that the choreo or the skaters need to be educated, even if they want to stick with classical music since it's easier to skate to, there's a whole lot of classical music out there lol. and alot of the skaters are young, and even those who are considered 'old' in singles are still pretty young outside of the skating world; if they aren't one of those who has an interest in classical music, they probably are only exposed to the range of music the choreo present to them for a selection.

Classical music I think is easier to skate to, unless your name is Daisuke Takahashi- he's the only one that can pull off the steps (see: cyberswan [ignore that is remix of classical, Im talking about the kind of music- hiphop-esque, that requires amazing steps to work). Even the forward choices mentioned above have a smooth sort of undertone to the music, that can be used well (though I guess that's the solution).