2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Lombardia Trophy Mens FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Semantics. The technical panel is still "judging" (giving their judgement) on rotation/edge and levels.

It was not "borderline" in this case.

In your opinion.

With all due respect MaxSwagg, if you can somehow conclude definitively by watching that video feed, you have amazing vision and need to consider some sort of career that makes use of this vision. I'm not being sarcastic. That video feed was NOT good at all. And we don't know what video feed the tech panel watched or even if it was reviewed. The video feed snagged out, but it seems like they didn't have to wait that long for his score, which tells me they either didn't review it or it didn't take too long for them to decide.

I don't see what this European tech panel has to gain by looking the other way.

Anyway, it's one data point. It will be interesting to see whether this scoring/technical calling/judging is consistent or it will prove to be generous. It's hard to determine after one event.

Last edited:

Raomina

On the Ice
The Piano isn't my favorite piece of music ever, but it has a lot of long legato phrases and subtle variations in dynamics that Rohene's choreography emphasizes beautifully, IMO. The sequence of the two spirals, falling leaf, hydroblade, and loop jump starts when the piano is replaced with full orchestration, and it describes a series of decreasing circles before expanding out with the 3 jump combo and then coming back to center for the final spin. Honestly, the more I see the choreography the more I love it. Something else that's very special is how beautifully Jason times his movements to emphasize the music: some of that's built into the choreography, but quite a lot of it is simply his innate musicality.

Yes, I agree that the sequence of the two spirals etc. correlate with the music but they seem to be the only spirals that do. He uses his hands and arms very nicely throughout the piece, but I'm not so sure about his legs, which he lifts up above his head many times without any accents in the music to accompany such 'big' moves. He's one of the only guys who does spirals, which is great (I think more men should do it), but personally, I feel that he does it too much if you also include all the times he kicks his leg up, which is why these 'choreographic moves' might've been distracting and 'filler-like' for me when the music is so soft and flowing. I also agree that his innate musicality carries the weight of the musical interpretation for this program (like, I don't think he needs to be directed to move his hands and arms with the music), but the choreography is the part I'm not so keen about, which is why I said it wouldn't have mattered which instrumental music it was.

noskates

Record Breaker
FWIW, Badskates, I don't see what all the fuss is about and I would hate to see you stop posting your thoughts.

I yield to no one (well, almost no one) in support of Max and his right to make his own choices for his own programs. I have said so in the endless Black Swan threads. But to refer to "Max's team" making choices is no way, nohow and in no universe the same as saying that Max had Black Swan foisted upon him.:scratch2:

I reserve judgment on the Lion King, I hope to see Max improve, and I will say I *love* the fact that it is not a B&W costume.

And as far as posting anything on these Boards, other than of course avoiding violations of Board guidelines, I intend to follow the advice of James T. Kirk:

"I make no deals for command of this ship, mister":laugh:

Badskates? Was that a typo or a dig?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Shoma, Jason, and Max! Great early season showings.

Echoing your congratulations. So proud of these 3 guys. Reminded me of last year's Skate America podium. :biggrin: This is gonna be an awesome season!

ETA -- It also made me very happy to see these three joking around and being more friendly with each other -- Jason getting to know Shoma better with the Japan ice shows, and Max and Tom Z "inspecting" Shoma's costume.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe it's a badknees/noskates meshup. ;)

;) Or mash-up. :ghug:

Now it is someone else's turn to find a typo of mine :hopelessness: :yes: :devil:.

(In case my emojis were not clear, the tone of this post is intended to be: There but for the grace of God go I. Trying to share a friendly laugh :) :laugh: with the group, at no one's expense.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
;) Or mash-up. :ghug:

Now it is someone else's turn to find a typo of mine :hopelessness: :yes: :devil:.

(In case my emojis were not clear, the tone of this post is intended to be: There but for the grace of God go I. Trying to share a friendly laugh :) :laugh: with the group, at no one's expense.)

And your name shall be Angles Coverage.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
:rofl: Needed a laugh. Thanks. Truth of the matter is I don't have any skates and even if I did I do have bad knees and probably couldn't skate anyway! Before I was old and cranky I was an athlete....:hap85:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Yes, I agree that the sequence of the two spirals etc. correlate with the music but they seem to be the only spirals that do. He uses his hands and arms very nicely throughout the piece, but I'm not so sure about his legs, which he lifts up above his head many times without any accents in the music to accompany such 'big' moves. He's one of the only guys who does spirals, which is great (I think more men should do it), but personally, I feel that he does it too much if you also include all the times he kicks his leg up, which is why these 'choreographic moves' might've been distracting and 'filler-like' for me when the music is so soft and flowing. I also agree that his innate musicality carries the weight of the musical interpretation for this program (like, I don't think he needs to be directed to move his hands and arms with the music), but the choreography is the part I'm not so keen about, which is why I said it wouldn't have mattered which instrumental music it was.

Totally agree with what you wrote about his repetitive leg lifting and kicking.

It would be interesting to see what a more experienced choreographer could do for him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And your name shall be Angles Coverage.

:hopelessness: Hate to admit that this one has sailed right over my head (and pea-brain therein). It's not that I am unamused by the humor, it's that I am too dumb :( to recognize the humor. If you take pity on me and explain the joke, I will be happy to have a laugh at myself.

Not going away mad ... I am going away stupid :confused2: ....

ETA, on second thought, (another) stupid question:

Is "mesh-up" a real thing? Occurs to me that it actually would be a good mash-up of "mess-up" and "mash-up" ... so an accidental mash-up.

Revealing the vastness of my ignorance here :laugh:.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Shoma, Jason, and Max! Great early season showings.

Echoing your congratulations. So proud of these 3 guys. Reminded me of last year's Skate America podium. :biggrin: This is gonna be an awesome season!

ETA -- It also made me very happy to see these three joking around and being more friendly with each other -- Jason getting to know Shoma better with the Japan ice shows, and Max and Tom Z "inspecting" Shoma's costume.

:agree: Thx, VB and Arriba.

Just caught some more cuteness :luv17: involving Shoma and his costume ... this time with Jason:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Semantics. The technical panel is still "judging" (giving their judgement) on rotation/edge and levels.

It was not "borderline" in this case.

Why do you always post your opinions as fact? Whether or not you agree, he got the benefit of this call just like Yuzuru and others have in other circumstances. Get over it.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Ice Coverage - I don't know that I've ever heard "mesh-up" before but I find it pretty descriptive of Bad/Skate. Too funny! :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^ "badskate" pretty much describes me after every competition, so maybe the names are the wrong way around in here :laugh:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:hopelessness: Hate to admit that this one has sailed right over my head (and pea-brain therein). It's not that I am unamused by the humor, it's that I am too dumb :( to recognize the humor. If you take pity on me and explain the joke, I will be happy to have a laugh at myself.

Not going away mad ... I am going away stupid :confused2: ....

It sailed over your head because it was not funny but you tried the funny angle to figure it out. *clue*

I was amused by how much you tried to explain that you meant no offense to anyone so I was prompted to suggest that you tried to cover all the angles, thus Angles Coverage as a deviation of ice coverage. See, no funny angle.

BTW, you can buy All Angles Covered on ebay.

ETA, on second thought, (another) stupid question:

Is "mesh-up" a real thing? Occurs to me that it actually would be a good mash-up of "mess-up" and "mash-up" ... so an accidental mash-up.

Revealing the vastness of my ignorance here :laugh:.​

To mesh means to match or coordinate, so my unintended new mashup term was not so off, eh? :eek:: The concepts/names mesh well, don't they?

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Why do you always post your opinions as fact? Whether or not you agree, he got the benefit of this call just like Yuzuru and others have in other circumstances. Get over it.

You seem to have some personal problem with me...

No. Who said it was a fact?

And Hanyu doesn't get "benefits of the doubt." He fights for every point he gets (not that he ever really under-rotates to begin with...and you're trying to compare to Jason Brown? Don't do it, alright, it would be a bad move...). He is not even here so why are you mentioning him or anyone else? It doesn't matter; what matters is correct judging.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I really didn't like Shoma's FS when he debuted it and the vocals at the end didn't help at all but I'm appreciating it more here. The choreography really captures the variations in the tempo in the first half of the program and I liked the step sequence. The music in the second half seems to overpower him though and he doesn't seem to skate 'big' enough to match the vocals. Maybe there's just too many jumps and they didn't really fit the music. It would've been better if the order of his 3A-3T was switched with his 3A as well, just to match the high point and when the music stops.

his second 3A is not alone it is a planned 3A 1/2Loop 3F that he didn't do because the landing on his axel was not good.

And I agree with you, I didn't like the music (especially the end tbh) when he debuted it but I actually loved it here. I think that program has the potential to be amazing. He does get overpowered when the singer is screaming at the end but I am confident it is a beginning of the season thing.