2016 Skate America Ladies SP | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies SP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are not new to this board so that you should know about the member with the theory that judges and tech controllers from Russia, Eastern Europe, and just with slavic names like "Kovalski" tend to be very biased towards the Russians and Eastern Europeans. I personally find this theory ridiculous: there is obvious country bias so that the Russians give slack to the Russians and the Americans to the Americans but block voting is way back in the past. That's why I said lol.

well, my theory is borne out by the reality: the skaters who got < and<< and include WAGNER, GOLD, ASADA, DALEMAN, BELL, PARK and MURAKAMI---but of course not SAKHANOVICH or KUCHVALSKA....

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Your idea sounds good too, but when I weigh the pros and cons of letting this skater have a place at JGP, I don't see much downside but I can easily imagine a future Boyang Jin lurking among the Indian kids getting psyched up by figure skating. Not much harm done in opening the door and rolling out the welcome mat, really. If he wins a medal ith this yeah, I'll have big big problems with that.

The 'downside' if I can call it that, is that the ISU gets to pat themselves at the back and say, see, we give everyone an equal chance but IMO it's not one, not really, except on the surface. I am not sure that we can hope that simply an appearance like this can kick start a true interest and financing of figure skating. I am quite skeptical actually. And more interests in these countries, means new markets, means new sponsors, means more money in the long run so even that is covered. Otherwise of course I don't see a single problem with him being there.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this point, ISU is already helping in a small-scale way by allowing small feds like India and Malaysia (Represent! :p) to participate in the junior grand prix series. ISU certainly didn't support my home country directly in any way (where badminton is the only sport that matters), but we were able to compete on the JGP and today we have Julian Zhi Jie Yee, who is not too shabby a skater. :)

His EX at Nebelhorn with the mop and radio was all sorts of :love:

https://youtu.be/25-Yyobs560

I think an overwhelming majority of skating fans welcome the concept of growing the sport and with that comes showing support to the smaller federations and their skaters.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Is it possible that Sakhanovich and Kuchvalska didn't have UR and therefore there was nothing to call? That's not a rhetorical question btw. I'm actually asking if they had URs or not.

mcq

Record Breaker
The 'downside' if I can call it that, is that the ISU gets to pat themselves at the back and say, see, we give everyone an equal chance but IMO it's not one, not really, except on the surface. I am not sure that we can hope that simply an appearance like this can kick start a true interest and financing of figure skating. I am quite skeptical actually. And more interests in these countries, means new markets, means new sponsors, means more money in the long run so even that is covered. Otherwise of course I don't see a single problem with him being there.

I have to disagree. Skaters mostly started young that is why they are a bit easy on JGP to allure more young skaters from country where FS is not really big. At senior you have world standings, season's best, world finish etc to even be chosen for GP series and be "exposed". There is a minimum TES point for worlds, euro and 4cc so not any skater could just walk in and skate to represent his/her country.

However, if you don't really give countries a chance even to "participate" there is no way it will ever be big at non-skating country. Now we start seeing budding southeast asian skaters at the JGP, and though their skills might not be on the top-finisher level yet, they are not bad. Not every country can have junior skaters in the level of the Japanese and the Russians and it's not like the Indian skaters are given big pity marks or something.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well, my theory is borne out by the reality: the skaters who got < and<< and include WAGNER, GOLD, ASADA, DALEMAN, BELL, PARK and MURAKAMI---but of course not SAKHANOVICH or KUCHVALSKA....

Wagner got away with one there me thinks on the 3t but that's not uncommon actually. Gracie is always getting away with her flip edge being wrong . Does that grind your salt and pepper shakers equally?

qwertyskates

Medalist

I think an overwhelming majority of skating fans welcome the concept of growing the sport and with that comes showing support to the smaller federations and their skaters.

Julian Yee is SUPER indeed, so much charisma and personality, and not the prettiest jumps but he lands them. I wish a world class coach will adopt him.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
However, if you don't really give countries a chance even to "participate" there is no way it will ever be big at non-skating country.

I never said we shouldn't give them a chance? :scratch2:

I was talking about setting up long lasting, starter hosting programs for very young juniors with the big federations that already have developed systems and then in that case ... not to repeat. I think more can be done to help apart from just simply giving them a chance to participate.

Last edited:

Sunny Little

On the Ice

:agree: And that is why ISU should allow props in competition. Sponsors can even get creative and start having skaters advertise their physical products.

Just kidding, I don't want anyone to impale themselves with a mop on ice.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Well, ...it's tradition. It's not call 'Inflate America', for nothing. Some federations intentionally keep their best skaters home for that reason.

As a Canadian, that's how I feel about "Inflate Canada". Osmond, in particular, has received some inflated PCS scores.

MIM

Medalist
Well, having seen the Indian guys at JGP, I really thought if it was a bad joke.

Onlyifitmakessence.

Dont mix up a Country like China, who investes millions to represent their athlets on ice, and a young foolish boy from India, who just had a sudden idea to skatte.

His name is Krishna. Ted Barton interviewed him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-Ix_Yo1Y0&list=PLuB703eaMDlINKQVfujOGc8pmRUd9SCf8

In the interview, he said he is a roller skater and went to a ice skating rink a few weeks before the competition. But he enjoys skating and inspired the audience at Yokohama with his pure love of skating. There is nothing to mock about this skater.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Don't you understand how biased you are? Of course, you won't admit it. But then I would remind that Mihara and Rodegheiro who have nothing to do with Russia and Eastern Europe also have no <. How could that come possible? May be because they did not have UR in the first place same as Sima? I rewatched Sima's jumps slo-mo and she in fact did not have URs including the flip despite the step-out. And you somehow forgot to mention that Sima got ! from the Russian tech controller. So I don't buy your theory but it's fun anyway. I can bet and always win that before any competition there will be a post from you if there are "Russia prone" controllers or judging panels. It's sort of a local landmark.

temadd

Final Flight
Congratulations Ashley. You have arrived. Only people at the top have so many haters. I am not one of them. However I do think her SP needs work. And I'm sure she is well aware of that. Give it a chance to develop.

mcq

Record Breaker
I never said we shouldn't give them a chance? :scratch2:

I was talking about setting up long lasting, starter hosting programs for very young juniors with the big federations that already have developed systems and then in that case ... not to repeat. I think more can be done to help apart from that just place.

Welp, sorry I probably misunderstand. Your few earlier posts give the impression that you are not very fond of skaters with sub-par skills to be included in some competitions. Actually, rather than federation, it is better to send skaters to top coaches. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Kazakhstan Fed but D10 goes to Frank and Elizabet goes to Orser, I think that will help more. Most skaters are self-funded anyway, thus the limited number of talents.

Speaking of d10, too bad he withdrew. He has a rough season last year and I am curious if his team shake things up a bit for this season but now we probably would only see him by 4CC.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really loved Ashley's program and do think she will, as per her usual MO, add to the transitions as the season progresses. Right now, first time out of the gate (in the big leagues), she hit her musical highlights on point, including (e.g.) coming out of the spin and setting up for the kick right at the right moment. There are a lot of musical highlights here that remind me of a 6.0 program in the best possible way -- and then add in the CoP complexity, like the step sequence demands, in this case right at the end -- that really worked for me. I think it's brilliantly constructed to be very watchable and, as usual with her programs, to maximize Ashley's strengths.

I didn't love the dress but didn't find it a horror, either -- it DOES need to be edgy/different to match the program. I think I would have lightened the collar bling a lot and maybe even made the collar narrower, but otherwise the asymmetrical lines of the costume really work for the program, to me.

Finally, Ashley seems to love the program a lot, so I hope it will only get better as the season progresses.