2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

s_parks

Record Breaker
Except for the step seq, the program is so boring even for their standards :con3:.

Seriously... the fact that a legendary Russian pair already skated a memorable program at the olympics to this and the comparison makes it worse. What could have been if T/M worked with Moskvina...

liv

Record Breaker
ITA. I kept expecting them to skate up to this fabulous music... and it was like any music was playing. I kept thinking over the years that their issue was bad music choice... it is not. The choreo here was terrible. It makes me want to cry.

Weathergal

Medalist
Yeah, I thought Ashtakova / Rogonov's and Zabiiako / Enbert's test skate SPs were much stronger (as I say this as someone who's had a bit of a soft spot for Tarasova / Morozov and actually liked their last season's SP).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Can anyone make out what the 2 cuts are on Stepanova & Bukin's SD, other than some version of "Chandelier" by Sia?

Roast Toast

Medalist
Flawless packaging for Evgenia imo. I've been looking forward to a Chopin program from her for a while now. Based only upon these performances, I think Alina will have to hope she can catch up in the FS -- her skating still looks a little labored to me (I especially notice it during her step sequences, they always seem to go on and on... and on...). Overall though, they are certainly the standard to beat.

Tarasova/Morozov have a decent showing with an interesting and imo attractive final step sequence. I just think those Rach music cuts are oppressive and they give the program no room to breathe. There's no build-up, the program just starts at the top and tries to stay there. I know Russians love to skate to big music but I don't think in this case it is a good choice.

I found almost all of those SDs depressing to watch and I can't say I am much looking forward to another latin season full of flops. Hopefully they'll tighten up those programs some more, cause right now it's not looking pretty.

Nika09

On the Ice
Interesting and kind of unexpected music choice for Kolyada.

I guess there's couldn't be slower (i'm trying to avoid term "boring") version of already slow song for S/H.
And Turandot for LP :palmf: Well good luck, only thing I can say.

They will skate at Autumn Classic (Sep 20-23)

These're good news, thanks! I was afraid we will have to wait GP's for their program's.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yu & Zhang FS above is a Star Wars medley

Jyn Erso & Hope Suite, Star Wars: Princess Leia, and Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Without counting Ashley's possible Moulin Rouge reprisal, and going only through Seniors programs, here's the count on some of the most used Warhorses of the season:

Moulin Rouge/Tango de Roxanne: 8
Swan Lake/Black Swan: 7
Carmen: 5
Turandot: 4

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Without counting Ashley's possible Moulin Rouge reprisal, and going only through Seniors programs, here's the count on some of the most used Warhorses of the season:

Moulin Rouge/Tango de Roxanne: 8
Swan Lake/Black Swan: 7
Carmen: 5
Turandot: 4

Andrew Torgashev and Artem Frolov are also using Tango de Roxanne in juniors. My most hated warhorse of all time. Turandot is getting close but at least it doesn't make my ears bleed.

There are so many pleasant underused tangos out there...it makes no sense to me.

pearly

Record Breaker
I love Turandot and don't mind hearing it around the ice rink.

Swan Lake has been my favorite ballet for years now and I used to get so excited when someone skated to it pre-Black Swan. But now it feels like there's twice as many programs to it and in 90% of the cases it comes down to incorporating a few characteristic moves from the ballet into the program.

Like I mentioned a few days ago in the Russian test skates thread - there is so much more to Swan Lake. There is a story, motivation, so much depth. Only mature skaters with some life experience can relate to it, understand it and translate it into their performance. I think Alina is a very nice skater and look forward to seeing her over the next several years, but wish she saved Swan Lake for a later time.

I think the same goes for Carmen.

As for tango - nobody uses Roxanne because it's a "tango". God I hate that song. There are countless Argentine tangos performed by Orquesta Tipicas and danced to in milongas and I don't remember hearing/seeing a single one on ice. Why? That would be so refreshing.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
There are so many pleasant underused tangos out there...it makes no sense to me.
I don't understand it either. But Virtue/Moir, for instance, are using 'Moulin Rouge' with 'Tango de Roxanne' as a part of it. In their case it wouldn't make sense to use another tango, as this particular tango is a part of Satine and Christian's story. Why 'Moulin Rouge' is another question (an answer to which I think I know).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Swans, swans, swans.

I had a feeling this one was coming. People have been hinting there would be more, and who else was left? Look, the music is great. It's powerful/classical/tells a story/has a character. It hits all the possible boxes.

But at some point, it just becomes ridiculous. And in the ladies field, we have reached that point.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Swans, swans, swans.

I had a feeling this one was coming. People have been hinting there would be more, and who else was left? Look, the music is great. It's powerful/classical/tells a story/has a character. It hits all the possible boxes.

But at some point, it just becomes ridiculous. And in the ladies field, we have reached that point.

Funny that none of this season 'swans' are what you would call the balletic skaters :scratch2:
Some fifty pages ago I said that I'd never get enough of Swan Lake - oops!

Neenah16

On the Ice
I don't mind warhorses or any music the skaters want to use but some skaters and their teams need pay more attention to the music cuts and how they are put together. Some programs have very jarring transitions between cuts or unrelated pieces put together that just don't work. The program needs to be one cohesive unit where every cut plays a part but with some of these programs I feel like I am watching two or three different programs mashed together and it is not good.

Are music editors on a strike or something?!!!! :scratch3:

all that

Final Flight
I don't understand it either. But Virtue/Moir, for instance, are using 'Moulin Rouge' with 'Tango de Roxanne' as a part of it. In their case it wouldn't make sense to use another tango, as this particular tango is a part of Satine and Christian's story. Why 'Moulin Rouge' is another question (an answer to which I think I know).

Don't leave us hanging! What is the answer?! :)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Don't leave us hanging! What is the answer?! :)
It's just about Virtue/Moir, so I did not elaborate to not derail the thread further. But if you want to know, there is no big special secret here - it's quite simple, really. Aside from them really liking and connecting with the movie/score (in their own words), I think it gives them an opportunity to play on all of their strengths (performance wise) in this Olympic season - lyrical themes, romance, chemistry, storytelling, but with some added drama and intensity for diversity which allows them to also show a different side of themselves (as performers) - all in one program.