2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Without counting Ashley's possible Moulin Rouge reprisal, and going only through Seniors programs, here's the count on some of the most used Warhorses of the season:

Moulin Rouge/Tango de Roxanne: 8
Swan Lake/Black Swan: 7
Carmen: 5
Turandot: 4

LOL... there proves my point. Moulin Roge is COP era of Carmen. Ewan Mcgregor is COP era of Pavarotti. Bigger than life tragic European themes works well... Gawd help us all!

Perhaps some La La land should be a relief. Is there a clip of Ashley's lala land somewhere? I wonder why she changed it.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I expect Swan Lake, Turandot, POTO, and Carmen when it comes to warhorses. Moulin Rouge was not expected but each program should have something different so we'll see. I'm curious now about how many Hallelujahs and La La Lands we've got.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I expect Swan Lake, Turandot, POTO, and Carmen when it comes to warhorses. Moulin Rouge was not expected but each program should have something different so we'll see. I'm curious now about how many Hallelujahs and La La Lands we've got.

Senior Hallellujah's for now only 2, Patrick's and Sui/Han's, though I saw a couple also in the Junior GPs.
La La Land two also, if Ashley still does hers, otherwise only 1 in seniors. Around 5 in juniors so far, though.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Senior Hallellujah's for now only 2, Patrick's and Sui/Han's, though I saw a couple also in the Junior GPs.
La La Land two also, if Ashley still does hers, otherwise only 1 in seniors. Around 5 in juniors so far, though.

Liam Firus, Astakhova & Roganov, and Lutricia Bock are all doing La La Land. (Lutricia has competed in both seniors & juniors for three seasons. Dastich is also doing La La Land, and has also competed in seniors in the past; though not nearly as often as Bock).
So that is 3-4 not counting Ashley.

And not counting Misha's or Dabin's exhibitions.

There are at least ten La La Land programs being skated in juniors. Bock, Dastich, Ustinkova, Kim, Fedichkina, Lazarus, Nugumanova, Yamakuma, Popova & Colluci, Cvijanovic.

And that does not include Yelim's separate La La Land exhibition.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Liam Firus, Astakhova & Roganov, and Lutricia Bock are all doing La La Land. (Lutricia has competed in both seniors & juniors for three seasons. Dastich is also doing La La Land, and has also competed in seniors in the past; though not nearly as often as Bock).
So that is 3-4 not counting Ashley.

And not counting Misha's or Dabin's exhibitions.

There are at least ten La La Land programs being skated in juniors. Bock, Dastich, Ustinkova, Kim, Fedichkina, Lazarus, Nugumanova, Yamakuma, Popova & Colluci, Cvijanovic.

And that does not include Yelim's separate La La Land exhibition.

Thanks for completing the info! I just looked at the programs spreadsheet without accounting for skaters competing both in seniors and juniors. And it appears the spreadsheet isn't quite complete either, since some of the names you mention aren't on it yet. So it's still the warhorse of the season... in juniors.

Nika09

On the Ice
Funny thing is at least 2 of 4 "Turandot" skaters (I actually thought there are 3 and don't know who is the fourth one) have real chance for Olympic medal. So, can you imagine then how many Turandot's will we have next Olympics if either Shoma or S/H, or both win? It seems like vicious circle.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
What is Spain?!

Anna is going to be such an amazing black swan... fierce powerful diva!!

I predict some Flamenco/Spanish music for SP, don't really recall 'Spain' song itself...but we'll see.

As for 'Swan Lake' - I think that Anna has attitude and qualities to pull off both white and black swan memorably and beautifully, she's angelic and sensual at the same time. I have no doubt about character portraying, my fingers are crossed for solid choreo and beautiful costume

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I predict some Flamenco/Spanish music for SP, don't really recall 'Spain' song itself...but we'll see.

As for 'Swan Lake' - I think that Anna has attitude and qualities to pull off both white and black swan memorably and beautifully, she's angelic and sensual at the same time. I have no doubt about character portraying, my fingers are crossed for solid choreo and beautiful costume

I agree somewhat with Swanlake, but I just love the fierce and powerful unpredictable Anna. The one that doesn't skate too calculated, but goes on full frontal assault with risky big jumps, speed, and attack.

I wonder if we should get a costume change moment similar to Rising like a Phoenix and Laurine Lecavalier's Grease. If so, that would be pretty spectacular for the Olympics audience. Totally gimmicky, but Swan Lake is such an obvious program for it! If any program deserves a costume mid change moment... this is it! Has to go with the right music edit of course.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
I wonder if we should get a costume change moment similar to Rising like a Phoenix and Laurine Lecavalier's Grease.

Alina will do a costume change in her Black Swan program... But I won't mind if they both do this.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Alina will do a costume change in her Black Swan program... But I won't mind if they both do this.

Ahh really? Cool!! Alina should be a huge threat this year, backloading 7 jump passes FS with a music program built around it, would be interesting if she can be the unsurper.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia

QuadThrow

Medalist
I am sorry but I just cannot help myself Sui/Han doing Turandot. Shen/Zhao owned this piece in 2002/2003. Now Zhao is the main pair skating coach in China and he adviced Sui/Han to do Turandot again, didn't he? How less creativity a federation can have? I am disappointed.

I really have admired Sui/Han's quality of skating and their monstrous throws. Their battle with S/M last year was one of my highlights as a fan. But I definitly would love to watch some innovation or some risky music choices especially if they want to win the Gold in Korea.

They do the STh in the second half of the program. That is why I expect there will be no 4STh this season.

The mission seems to be clear. They want a clean skate and they think noone is able to beat them in this case. I think this strategy is not the worst. Nevertheless S/M's BV will be 6-7 points higher in the FS.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps some La La land should be a relief. Is there a clip of Ashley's lala land somewhere? I wonder why she changed it.

We don't know if she's changed it. A switch from La La Land has NOT been confirmed. (only implied/suggested, by TSL tweet).

If you look at 11:51 on this feature, you'll see a lovely footwork section to her LLL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5Q1Xok1y4
The 30 seconds just preceding has interesting comments from Shae-Lynne about Ashley's skating.

I'm proud to say I'm in the minority of GS fans, in that I'm REALLY looking forward to La La Land programs. I think it's going to be great. It'll provide some diversion from the warhorses. Can't wait to see Liam Firus' FS this week-end; I just have a feeling about it, like it's his turn to shine. I watched A/R's a couple of days ago; I feel it's not there yet, but I think they'll be able to develop and do a lot with it. Also, the video quality at this time is not the best, of course.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
We don't know if she's changed it. A switch from La La Land has NOT been confirmed. (only implied/suggested, by TSL tweet).

If you look at 11:51 on this feature, you'll see a lovely footwork section to her LLL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5Q1Xok1y4
The 30 seconds just preceding has interesting comments from Shae-Lynne about Ashley's skating.

I'm proud to say I'm in the minority of GS fans, in that I'm REALLY looking forward to La La Land programs. I think it's going to be great. It'll provide some diversion from the warhorses. Can't wait to see Liam Firus' FS this week-end; I just have a feeling about it, like it's his turn to shine. I watched A/R's a couple of days ago; I feel it's not there yet, but I think they'll be able to develop and do a lot with it. Also, the video quality at this time is not the best, of course.

This looks so interesting. I love the creative process and she is taking ownership/collaboration of the program. I really hope she keeps it, the music suit her sass and showmanship which is uniquely American spirted. Of course, any new program and choreography are going to be hard but I think the Emma Stone's character should able to resonate with her and alot of figure skaters, who give up so much for their dreams. Struggles a lot to get there, over coming so much, likely to come to a bittersweet end but some glories along the way. If done well, I don't see why it can't be a new signature program for her.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This looks so interesting. I love the creative process and she is taking ownership/collaboration of the program. I really hope she keeps it, the music suit her sass and showmanship which is uniquely American spirted. Of course, any new program and choreography are going to be hard but I think the Emma Stone's character should able to resonate with her and alot of figure skaters, who give up so much for their dreams. Struggles a lot to get there, over coming so much, likely to come to a bittersweet end but some glories along the way. If done well, I don't see why it can't be a new signature program for her.

I agree 100% with all you said. I love that her hopes with this program and "Audition" are to encourage people from all walks of life to keep following their dreams, no matter their age or perceived talent, or what anyone else says. If she and her team decide the way to go is with Moulin Rouge, I'm loving that too.

In this interview, Ashley gave some hints as to what goes on with her choice of programs:

"The concussions definitely rewired my brain in the way that I process information.... It's really affected me in the way that I learn programs because you have to memorize this choreography and the choreography is very intricate. So for me, retraining my brain to be able to learn choreography and be able to remember it, that's probably my biggest challenge."
http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...lks-concussions-costumes-collisions-body-2017

Barb

Record Breaker
I am sorry but I just cannot help myself Sui/Han doing Turandot. Shen/Zhao owned this piece in 2002/2003. Now Zhao is the main pair skating coach in China and he adviced Sui/Han to do Turandot again, didn't he? How less creativity a federation can have? I am disappointed.

I think the same but maybe it will end up being a great hit :shrug:, they thought about the partners switch and it worked.