2017 Autumn Classic Intl FD | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl FD

bramweld

Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje need bigger moves for those music crescendos. I love their choice of music and styling, but it's lacking magic.

Virtue/Moir's program has lots of great stuff in it, but ends with a whimper, doesn't feel complete.

They need to revise Domnina and Shabalin's Spartacus. They don't have the chops to pull off balletic, romantic snot for a full 4 minutes, who do they think they are P/C circa 2015? As for their SD I liked their music the best but I truly believe they'd need the chops of a V/M to pull that off. I watch it for the music and the chance to just watch Poje. :love::palmf:

Spartacus is much, much more than a sweet simple love story. Their dance comes across flatter than a cold buttermilk pancake drowned in grade B, pure maple syrup. Talking about this makes me hungry actually. Peace out.

Alba

Record Breaker
Blades is right. It lacks magic and I was surprised with their MEH... lifts. I was expecting smth much better.

sarama

Medalist
I'm honestly obsessed with Tessa and Scott's new SD (I'll admit I love Hotel California so that may be a factor).
I agree the last very good FD they had was Carmen. This FD isn't terrible, but the more I watch it the less I like it: the beginning is interesting, the tango is okay (I'd love more intricacy and closed skating TBH), the twizzles are the highlight of the program for now, the rest is very MEH and the ending is tragic (but not for the reasons they wanted it to be). Their FDs usually grow during the season, so I'm hopeful something can be done in term of more intricate choreo, but the ending needs to be changed, everyone is saying that; I'm surprised it got approved by the 153 caches/choreographers they have and that it survived HPC. It is quite faithful to the movie ending, but that's a MOVIE, and not a 4 minute competitive program, where they just can't spend 20 seconds of her dying in his arms with barely there music, it just ruins the entire feeling of th program.

Regarding WeaPo, I thought Spartacus was a good choice, but it needs to be way bolder and more dramatic. They don't sell subtle well. As someone said they are no Papadakis/Cizeron nor Virtue/Moir. Their Moulin Rouge was tacky but actually a good fit. I'm surprised by Morozov: he is the king of OTT programs, and that's exactly what WeaPo needed, something to make them stand out!

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'm honestly obsessed with Tessa and Scott's new SD (I'll admit I love Hotel California so that may be a factor).
I agree the last very good FD they had was Carmen. This FD isn't terrible, but the more I watch it the less I like it: the beginning is interesting, the tango is okay (I'd love more intricacy and closed skating TBH), the twizzles are the highlight of the program for now, the rest is very MEH and the ending is tragic (but not for the reasons they wanted it to be). Their FDs usually grow during the season, so I'm hopeful something can be done in term of more intricate choreo, but the ending needs to be changed, everyone is saying that; I'm surprised it got approved by the 153 caches/choreographers they have and that it survived HPC. It is quite faithful to the movie ending, but that's a MOVIE, and not a 4 minute competitive program, where they just can't spend 20 seconds of her dying in his arms with barely there music, it just ruins the entire feeling of th program.

Regarding WeaPo, I thought Spartacus was a good choice, but it needs to be way bolder and more dramatic. They don't sell subtle well. As someone said they are no Papadakis/Cizeron nor Virtue/Moir. Their Moulin Rouge was tacky but actually a good fit. I'm surprised by Morozov: he is the king of OTT programs, and that's exactly what WeaPo needed, something to make them stand out!

Angelica Krylova took one look at Weaver and Poje's FD laughed hysterically then broke down in body wracking tears. Meh, meh, meh, blah, blah, blah, blah, cha, cha, cha.

sarama

Medalist
Angelica Krylova took one look at Weaver and Poje's FD laughed hysterically then broke down in body wracking tears. Meh, meh, meh, blah, blah, blah, blah, cha, cha, cha.

Probably.... But it's kind of her fault if they left her. Their last two FDs with Krylova and Camerlengo were a bad fit, not to mention the management of both those seasons, and all that nonsense regarding finally being n°1 in their country, so they could start winning their long deserved medals. I honestly don't think Virtue/Moir have ever been an obstacle for WeaPo's international success: in recent times we've had 2 US ice dance world medalists, 2 Canadian ladies, 2 Japanese men, 2 Chinese pairs, 2 Russian girls....nobody cared! While as soon as Tessa and Scott came back they have basically acted like underdogs. Last season they ended up forth at Worlds, I'm sure if they had believed a bit more in their means they could have medaled (considering all the disasters happening)

rain

Record Breaker
Just had a chance to sit down and watch Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier's FDs. I loved all of the top three Canadians' free dances last year, pretty much immediately. I did not have the same visceral reaction this season.

I was really concerned when I heard V/M were skating to Moulin Rouge. Not a huge fan of the music to start with, and add in the fact that so many have skated to it over the last 5-10 years, and yeah. But seeing the program here, though it still needs work in some places (the ending needs something, for sure), there's a lot to love. Lots of great moments and moves. It's kind of an interesting blend of the intensity of their fabulous Carmen and the gentle beauty of some of their other work, like last year's FD. Head and shoulders above the totally forgettable Seasons that took them down in the last Olympic year. I really look forward to seeing this evolve as the season progresses.

Which is a good segue into Weaver/Poje. There is nothing inherently wrong with this dance, it's just terribly generic. For a few years they were really headed up, up, up. They were using their height and beautiful lines, and gaining in speed. They had stunning programs like Maria de Buenos Aires, Four Seasons (one of my all-time faves), and I was one of the few who liked This Bitter Earth. I didn't mind Aranjuez last season, but thought it lacked the originality of choreography in the other three. This season, this program will not stand out. That's a big problem in the Olympic year with so many teams so close in the standings. I'm not even sure what they can do at this point. They almost need to start from scratch choreographically.

On the other hand, Gilles and Poirier have plenty to work with. I'd have to watch it again, but my initial major criticism is that I would shorten the sleepy jazz cut in the middle, as it seems to lose momentum. These two are always doing something quirky or different and this program should help set them apart once more. Truly one of the most original teams in a long time, and I have huge respect for that.

The fight between G/P and W/P will be epic this season.

Barb

Record Breaker

But this time we can´t blame to Morozov, W/P are an adult and experimented team, they chose to Lori for choreo and everyone were very happy about it when they announced it.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
But this time we can´t blame to Morozov, W/P are an adult and experimented team, they chose to Lori for choreo and everyone were very happy about it when they announced it.

I was rooting for John Kerr. Does anyone have confirmation on who did W&P's SD?

viennaskater

Medalist
In contrast to WeaPo, Piper and Paul felt more stronger in terms of executing their concept, overall FD felt much more polished, and ready-to-go for me. I think that the clever - and of course cool - thing is that they are totally 'Guardians of innovation' season after season: there is always something new in their choreography, how it reflects the music, which is challenging/daring for both them and audience. Those lifts are INSANITY - the complex factor is still visible in them though, but I believe that the goal is to make them smooth and effortless and to see only their musicality, not their difficulty. The first thing that caught my attention while watching this FD is how strong the concept is behind that dance is, how well they seem to play with emotion, convention, expression thorought the dance while taking care of the execution and having a decent level of control already in that. Aside of working out kinks of that program, making it more polished, sleek and elegant-looking as a whole (I mean - feeling the novelty/originality of the dance, but not in obvious, in-your-face way) I feel that they need to be more 'sound' while performing it, not necessary loud in regards of character. Comparing this FD to last season Tango FD, I feel that this year's one is more based on the originality/quirk of characters and story portrayed, while Tango was more about showing the originality of that particular genre of dance, the identity of it translated onto ice. That said makes in my opinion their new FD more difficult to succeed as a whole package, more difficult to sell to the audiences - there is just more quirk and this intricacy not only into movement, but also in acting/presentation; the concept feels very custom-made and individual, whereas Tango FD felt more like original spin on already existing idea out there, which was them more accessible in my opinion. This time, it looks like they challenged themselves concept-wise a lot more than last year (which was super challenging already...) - and personally, I love that they are not compromising in anything while chasing that full consumation/devotion into program presented, no matter of what is the program. I already love the styling (as usual with them), the whole demeanor of sensual mystery put onto the story and performance and this understated sophistication touch about everything. As I said, there is a way to go in terms of put more definition over being those characters on ice, but I was very intrigued and excited from what I saw already.

You've pretty much summed up my opinion. Even seeing this FD for the first time this season, I was transfixed and went into another world. What IS it about this couple that they are able to make a performance look so easy and natural and yet pull off very difficult moves so smoothly? ALSO - making that special effort to be innovative. I LOVED the music!

When skaters in any of the disciplines use music pieces we've heard 100 times before, it's gonna have to be a really good programme to stand out from the rest. G/P always pull something a little different out of the hat. Even last year, when I was a little underwhelmed by their choice of a tango as an FD, as the season progressed it looked better and better and I thought "Well, THAT is the way to do a tango". My initial thought was that it was too 'safe' a choice for them.

But this FD is not too weird, just wonderful and a little 'different'. LOVE them!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
You've pretty much summed up my opinion. Even seeing this FD for the first time this season, I was transfixed and went into another world. What IS it about this couple that they are able to make a performance look so easy and natural and yet pull off very difficult moves so smoothly? ALSO - making that special effort to be innovative. I LOVED the music!

When skaters in any of the disciplines use music pieces we've heard 100 times before, it's gonna have to be a really good programme to stand out from the rest. G/P always pull something a little different out of the hat. Even last year, when I was a little underwhelmed by their choice of a tango as an FD, as the season progressed it looked better and better and I thought "Well, THAT is the way to do a tango". My initial thought was that it was too 'safe' a choice for them.

But this FD is not too weird, just wonderful and a little 'different'. LOVE them!

glad we share similar thoughts, even more glad that the quirkiness of Piper and Paul and being rather 'off the pack' is seen and appreciated - at least in this very area. I think that lots of people have a point in saying that the quirk, 'out-there' factor in their programs do them no favour in terms of judges' reception and the originality factor in their choreography poses a danger to the levels/technical execution, BUT - myself, I don't really think that they are doing material aiming for universal praise or trying too hard in terms of concept of their dances. Actually, the opposite - for me, the quirk in concept connected with originality and innovation of choreography are components of their clear vision of themselves as Ice Dancers, as a team; it's kind of developed signature of them, which is very rare nowadays. And it looks like they truly enjoy this whole path taken, I have no wonder why - it's challenging both technically and artistically, it expands their repertoire, it helps them to grow, it keeps the interest. And I would also not use term 'too weird' about this new FD - it is a quirky spin on the theme, character and story this time, all those elements combined with innovation, music choice, costuming are making an integral, multi-dimensional wholesome. Their FDs in general from past few seasons are making their original spin on things: style of dance, way of expression, way of movement, characters...For me personally, it is a feast for my artistic soul component to see playing a role with your whole body, but without playing it in cliché way.

moon

On the Ice
VM Only they could pull off Moulin Rouge. Why?
WP They need a program with intensity because they are just not skilled enough to do a subtle Spartacus
GP Her poor depth of edge not unlike Stepanova still annoys me. No matter how cerebral, quirky or how many dance classes they take it is not masking their inability to dance or look like they actually realize they are skating with someone else. It is not by mistake that they always choose to portray stiff, cold characters.
Harsh, but I am not thrilled with what I have seen so far.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^

about V/M - I am not sure, if your tone was supposed to be a genuine question why only they are able to 'pull off Moulin Rouge' based on agreement with that opinion, or a question out of curiosity why they are considered to be the only team to pull off Moulin Rouge by others' opinions...It's just not clear for me if it is a praise , accusation, critique or a wondering. From my perspective, adding to what they said about the choice of program themselves, it is a choice out of personal conviction, confidence and preference - they clicked with music, theme, story and want to do it by themselves, in their way. Of course - there were lots of skaters who already used the music, played characters of the movie before Virtue/Moir, but should it mean that they are less creative or that their version of Moulin Rouge will bebetter/worse than others? Personally - I don't think so; I think that 'creativity', beauty, intricacy, quality should not be measured only by how many times before particular music was used before and they chosen the music consciously, surely having their individual vision how they want to do it. Time will tell, how this program will turn out - as for now, I do not really see the point in already comparing their MR to other MR done before - they have to grow that program first and they I will be able to tell myself how it resonates. They can use music that was used many times already, but I'm sure that they will try to 'pull it off' in their own way, definitely not universally appreciated as some tend to despise the program altogether due music alone. But for me it's more about the method used than the material given.

about W/P - again, it's more of personal perspective on team and how we received that first showing of FD: myself, I would not say that they are 'not skilled enough to do a subtle Spartacus', because a) subtelty or intensity is for me about style, way of movement and way of expression that skill and b) 'a subtle Spartacus' was not a desired effect I feel. I feel that the desire was to create a compelling, beautiful and impactful picture consisting of music, movement and emotion, each element equally strong and sound, while the performance lacked definitely the strenght of movement, which then impacted their confidence in giving out the emotions out as they wanted to. I think it's too early to condemn the program altogether, because it sure will be re-modeled and more work will be put majorly in terms of choreography and elements' execution. Myself, I do believe that they are designed and capable to pull off a vivid 'Spartacus' program: with both subtle and intesnse shades in it, they already proved with 'Aranjuez' last year for me that they are capable of moderating emotions and range sensuality inside one performance, all with maintaining strong execution with flow.

about G/P - yet again - it depends what filter we use to opine teams, their new material showed. You see their material, quirk in it, cerebral way of creating ther stuff as a cover of supposed lack of connection between them and 'inability to dance', I see it as a conscious choice of having their own way of expressing themselves, how they want to accommodate their relationship and emotional connection, how they want to explore it present it each season. Seeing Ice Dance from quite a while, I learned that not every ID team consists of natural born dancers, yet they are able to present their vision of dance in very intricate, captivating way; moreover - the point is even what do we consider as 'dance', an ability to do it. I think personally that Piper and Paul for last few seasons are proving that they found their way to do Ice Dance in a very unique way, accommodating their abilities, qualities and desires - there is a concept, usually a quirky one, behind their programs, but it's the way of the presentation of it that makes it convincing or not. They are not 'touchy feely' performers, dramatic performers, not literal performers or instant performers - one of the things I admire in them the most is the way they treat their programs as they are a stage play demanding not only full attention and focus from start to finish, but also before start and after finish. The care and thought put inside the dry concept in terms of living it up by getting into character, costume, gestures is really amazing from Piper and Paul.
'It is not by mistake that they always choose to portray stiff, cold characters' - personally, I would never called their Tango FD as a dance of two 'stiff, cold characters'... I think that bigger mistake is to call all characters they choose to portray as 'stiff and cold' by definition, to suit your opinion of their lack of connection and 'inability to dance'. As I said, not every team is an extrovert one, a dynamic one - some teams have more subdued, moderate ways of expressing themselves/characters portrayal and not every ID team has to be in love or trying to play such roles in their every program. You receiving their characters portrayed as 'stiff and cold' does not equal their intention to do so.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
After seeing the top Canadians I think it is safe to say we will see an American team on the podium. W and P had to do something drastic and they fell flat forget the one armed outfit of Andrew. I am not sure V and M went in the right direction and I fear though the French are reather one dimmensional in their skating like Evgenia it will be enough to win. V and M are prone to errors so m y nod for oly gold is to the French though I do prefer V and M who I think were robbed in Sochi - nothing against the popular and fan backed Davis and White.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Y'all forget the Russians. They show up to every Olympics looking for an ice dance medal. And walk away with at least one. :)

If someone can't see past Piper's skating skills then there's no point trying to discuss the material of their programs. Which have been some of the most diverse programs from any team since they've been together.

I am also looking to see who wins the fight of G/P vs. W/P. The latter have the advantage, but the former are clawing their way up.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
6) Weapo : omg... hot costume galore... :) different.... edgy... gorgeous.... I loved the FD... of course, like for all of these teams, this is SUPER EARLY in the season and I am sure a lot of these dances will evolve... but personally, and I am crazy about Tessa and Scott, this was my favourite dance of the day.

little bit of banter : go to see Andrew very close ;) he is even better looking in person... SarahSynchro would just melt... his dark eyes are so big and round ;) and when I looked into them, he looked at me and i had to look down a bit and then my eyes met his lips... OMG... pink puffy lips ;) sorry... i better stop... especially since I met the entire weapo family there and we talked a bit about what it is to be a skating family... all of them, including our beautiful dancers are super nice people, kind, and engaging.

I had a very good time talking with them. They initiated the conversation, they were asking the questions... etc... it felt very natural. It was very nice... all this happened after the dance... so do not think that I was influenced when watching. I will also not reveal anything about the talks by respect for everyone.. so all i am saying is that I met them ;) So SarahSyncrho, I have met the family.. i think I have a certain advantage now LOL

you have no idea how many photos of the KAK sandwich were taken... Kaetlyn -Andrew -Kaitlyn must have posed for shots for an entire zamboni and warm up session... they were very kind... Oh and yes... Kaitlyn's hair was so beautiful....

most handsome award : Andrew Poje :love:

:ddevil::ddevil::ddevil:

THAT'S IT! PACK YOUR BAGS NOW! You are the lucky winner of a one-way ticket to Japan, and your flight is leaving in two hours.

But wait! There's more! A one way ticket was also purchased for my YuzuruDaughter on the same flight, right in the seat beside you! She was also so thoughtful and kind as to bring you a gift: a fluffy lettuce shirt and pants combo that she purchased with all her Christmas and birthday money, to match the one she bought in her size! She also has Prince's Greatest Hits album on a continuous loop on her iPod. Luckily for you, said iPod came with a dual headphone jack, so the two of you can spend quality time together on the 23 hour flight, listening to "Lets Go Crazy" on repeat!

Bon voyage! Enjoy your new life! See you never! Eat my shorts!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

THAT'S IT! PACK YOUR BAGS NOW! You are the lucky winner of a one-way ticket to Japan, and your flight is leaving in two hours.

But wait! There's more! A one way ticket was also purchased for my YuzuruDaughter on the same flight, right in the seat beside you! She was also so thoughtful and kind as to bring you a gift: a fluffy lettuce shirt and pants combo that she purchased with all her Christmas and birthday money, to match the one she bought in her size! She also has Prince's Greatest Hits album on a continuous loop on her iPod. Luckily for you, said iPod came with a dual headphone jack, so the two of you can spend quality time together on the 23 hour flight, listening to "Lets Go Crazy" on repeat!

damn it... i missed my flight :laugh2:

hope your daughter is fine :pray:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

:rofl: You two are the best! :rofl2:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Bloody hell. :ddevil:

I KNEW IT! I should've trusted my gut feeling and not hired Tonya Harding's ex husband to be your kidnapper. DAMN HIM! HE SMOOTH TALKED ME INTO BELIEVING HE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SORT OF THING!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

THIS ISN'T OVER, 4neverpojes! Watch your back, you won't know when, and you won't know how, but I'm coming for you, this is war.

:rofl: You two are the best! :rofl2:

Oh baby, and the season has just begun! Everyone better buckle up for safety, it's going to be one hell of a wild ride! :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, I almost forgot!

4everarestrainingorderonmyhusband, what did you think of Paul Poirier's suspenders?

:love::devil: