2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies FS

russianfan

Match Penalty
Don't kill me plz :)laugh:), but i think that Kaetlyn FS at it's current state is just terrible. I'm not even talking about mistakes (and ridiculous score), it just looks very, very raw and unpolished (and i also don't quite like Medvedeva's FS this season - feels pretty raw as well). I hope they both will work to make it better by the end of the season, so we will see very interesting battle at the Olympics.

P.S. Also, i like that she keeps her SP from previous season, it's pretty good and works well for her.

Ender

Match Penalty
^i just feel both of their programs are boring. But at least Osmond's music is more familiar.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Really? In comparison to Kaetlyn's, Alina's is a masterpiece to me. To each their own, I guess.

4verchan's acumen is from watching Kaetlyn's actual performance live at the rink, just as the judges. Of course it's different from verdicts rendered in front of a video screen. Are you speaking and comparing from having watched them both live?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4verchan's acumen is from watching Kaetlyn's actual performance live at the rink, just as the judges. Of course it's different from verdicts rendered in front of a video screen. Are you speaking and comparing from having watched them both live?

and now i have watched it on youtube.. and some details come through with the close up camera that in audience we cannot notice.... but still, even with these details, the difference is substantial between both skaters.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Sorry, should have been more clear. This was not in reply to 4everchan's post, but to chapis'.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry, should have been more clear. This was not in reply to 4everchan's post, but to chapis'.

it still begs the question : have you watched both these performances online or live at a rink?

For instance, live, Kaetlyn's gorgeous position and carriage is breathtaking... online, we don't notice it as much... there are many factors like speed for instance that don't translate on camera. Kaetlyn's faceplant, believe it or not, looked much milder on TV... for us, it was like a huge BANG... I am relieved to see that she didn't face directly on her face... because that's what I thought when I saw it at the rink..

anyways... this is why i leave it to the judges to award PCS ;) there is a whole lot of factors that one cannot see when watching on TV... I have seen Elizabet twice now, and every time I read " she waz rubbed" on PCS I am thinking "how easy to say from the couch... go watch live"

Mai and Elizabet are lovely skaters. However, they have a hard time connecting to the music/crowd. At least, that happened when I saw them both live. Also, I am pretty sure that a skater can have better connection one day, better speed one day, and the next day, not project as much...

That's why I try to keep "room" when "judging from home"... there are so many factors that are burried by camera close ups.... even spin traveling and off-axis jumps can be hidden...

chloepoco

Medalist
it still begs the question : have you watched both these performances online or live at a rink?

For instance, live, Kaetlyn's gorgeous position and carriage is breathtaking... online, we don't notice it as much... there are many factors like speed for instance that don't translate on camera. Kaetlyn's faceplant, believe it or not, looked much milder on TV... for us, it was like a huge BANG... I am relieved to see that she didn't face directly on her face... because that's what I thought when I saw it at the rink..

anyways... this is why i leave it to the judges to award PCS ;) there is a whole lot of factors that one cannot see when watching on TV... I have seen Elizabet twice now, and every time I read " she waz rubbed" on PCS I am thinking "how easy to say from the couch... go watch live"

Mai and Elizabet are lovely skaters. However, they have a hard time connecting to the music/crowd. At least, that happened when I saw them both live. Also, I am pretty sure that a skater can have better connection one day, better speed one day, and the next day, not project as much...

That's why I try to keep "room" when "judging from home"... there are so many factors that are burried by camera close ups.... even spin traveling and off-axis jumps can be hidden...

Hmmm, well then I hope you aren't one to complain of "Chan was robbed", or "Medvedeva was overscored", etc, if you weren't watching the actual performances live.....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, imo the judges didn't do a good job of awarding PCS in the men's fs. ;)
I agree. But i was there so lol i can make a proper judgement this time. Regarding chan, he is by far the best skater out there so sorry but he is regularly undermarked compared to other skaters. If a quad can give 10 points, his pcs should be at maximum level always and the next guys at 90. There. Said it. I have never seen medvedeva live so i wont comment.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I agree. But i was there so lol i can make a proper judgement this time. Regarding chan, he is by far the best skater out there so sorry but he is regularly undermarked compared to other skaters. If a quad can give 10 points, his pcs should be at maximum level always and the next guys at 90. There. Said it. I have never seen medvedeva live so i wont comment.
I think if I saw Medvedeva live I would faint like the girls at the Beatles

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After getting into it with my favorite Sammy boy in the other thread that got deleted about Russia's Taylor Swift victim complex, I swear Canada is right up there after reading this thread. :dbana: They could seriously tie for the gold, Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze & Sale-Pelletier style! And note, let me clarify: not all people from those countries are like this, but those super jinogistic ones... oof!

Why is anyone who criticizes Osmond automatically labeled a hater? Or the same with Medvedeva? Are people here seriously incapable of reading something negative about a skater from their country? And how can one expect to have a decent conversation when a common response to someone giving a valid criticism about a skater is "you're just jealous" or "you're a hater". It's beyond childish and almost not worth it to even engage with certain people anymore.

I hope Finlandia goes smoother. I've never seen drama like this at that event. Just a bunch mitten knittin' and knife booting the way I like it.

Regards,
Your 2nd favorite Sammy Boy ;)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I hope Finlandia goes smoother. I've never seen drama like this at that event. Just a bunch mitten knittin' and knife booting the way I like it.

Regards,
Your 2nd favorite Sammy Boy ;)
I was so confounded about what mitten knittin' and knife booting were...
And I thought maybe it was code for mean gossip and sabotage...
but three hours later I think I realized that it's just actual knitting and skating...

Also, I found Laurine being really silly and jumping around in this video at the 0:16 mark:
https://youtu.be/Ir7IaEc0N_A

Your turn!!!

Nika09

On the Ice
Just noticed that Daleman will be competing at Finlandia Trophy. Looking forward for it.
Good luck, Gabby!!

You know, French commentators have said exact opposites of this about Mihara and I believe they was watching this live too and have a lot of experience in that. So it's quite subjective, isn't it? Just as my thoughts about Osmonds LP, which would be nearly the same whether I watching it live or not.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just noticed that Daleman will be competing at Finlandia Trophy. Looking forward for it.
Good luck, Gabby!!

You know, French commentators have said exact opposites of this about Mihara and I believe they was watching this live too and have a lot of experience in that. So it's quite subjective, isn't it? Just as my thoughts about Osmonds LP, which would be nearly the same whether I watching it live or not.

well... i am not sure if there were commentators from France at this small venue. I didn't see a press room or whatever... so they may not have been on site... and yet, they may have been there...

also, if you read my reports I have said many times that they are my subjective impressions : i wrote them without looking at the thread nor reading protocols.

My comments came in an answer to some posters who wonder why some skaters get way lower PCS than a girl like Kaetlyn for instance. Being in the arena and seeing the events unfold revealed the truth for me : some of the smaller girls have a harder time to cover the ice, to connect with the crowd and to emote musically.... After having seen Mai on tv/youtube a lot (last year and this year as well) I can tell you, that all the small details we can see on TV do not come across at the rink, and I was sitting in about the 2nd or 3rd row... for instance, I could see Keegan's Messing facial expressions in his Chaplin but nothing from Lil Bet or Mai.

I am sharing graciously my feelings about how I witnessed the event, you are welcome to disagree with me but you cannot convince me about what I have seen or not seen, French commentators or not.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You know, French commentators have said exact opposites of this about Mihara and I believe they was watching this live too and have a lot of experience in that. So it's quite subjective, isn't it?

By "this" you mean the ACI under discussion? Was it really broadcast in France? Even if it was, I don't believe the commentators were reporting live from the arena. Even many ISU GP and other international events are usually commentated in studio by viewing the official video feed, except for the major competitions and those taking place in their own country or nearby. Except maybe, just maybe, the Japnese media might have been there, such a minor event is not worth sending commentators for.

If the French comments were made at a different event, then, well, that should not be compared with 4everchan's remarks which he has qualified as event specific and subjective of course.

Just as my thoughts about Osmonds LP, which would be nearly the same whether I watching it live or not.

Have you watched Kaetlyn live? If not, how could you have decided you would feel the same whether you watch it live or not? That is prejudicial.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What you've really said here is how watching Live can be worse than a (good) video, since your perspective is inherently limited by sitting in the exact same position for the whole performance. Skaters do expressions more towards the judges side of the rink as well, so you're most likely getting a bad deal live if you are not on the judges' side of the rink.

It's not hard to see speed and ice coverage differences on video. "Connecting with the crowd" is also subjective - you were personally more connected, it doesn't mean everyone in the crowd was. There also tends to be a "groupthink" that happens with reactions live, where people clap or feign appreciation more than they normally would, since others are doing it and they don't want to appear out of place. Personally, I have often remained seated at competitions even when the whole crowd is giving a standing ovation, if that's what I felt about the performance, but most people "follow the wave".

Being live is not going to change Osmond's choreography. I've literally never seen a skating performance live that offered new insight into the choreography that couldn't be seen on a properly filmed video. Nor is it going to change Osmond's distracting tumble on the ice. I can already see on video how Osmond does generally have a better performance quality than Mihara and better run of the blade, but those qualities alone do not constitute the entirety of PCS.