2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl Ladies SP

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Good solid performance by Kaetlyn, even if not her best one: that pause in the middle of the step sequence could have been emphasized a bit more, and the obvious flaw in the initial combo (somehow overlooked by the judges) are details that can be improved, but I really did enjoy her performance.
Mai's program was ok, I'm not as enthusiastic as many others here: the step sequence is really good, yes, but the overall program needs more mileage and maturity, plus she is still too girlish (and that's natural and appropriate, given her age of course!), so her PCS was totally right, if not a bit generous for me

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
had so far only a chance to watch Kaetlyn and Mai.

Watching Kaetlyn gives me just a simple pleasure of feeling a balance between all she's doing while performing that program. And seeing Piaf's SP reprise helped me realize how effortless, easy and flow-y she makes it look like in motion - for me personally, it is quite a thing (an important one) to make a series of difficult evolutions looking easy, cohesive and continuous using choreography, expression, performance abilities. Saying that, I think that 'to each on their own' - I try to see every single skater in his/her own angle and try to understand from where they are going with what they are presenting on ice. Different things pop out for me watching different skaters and when I see something disturbing me, confusing me, it is not necessary about skaters themselves, lately actually it is more about packaging for me and how particular skater's skills are presented. I respect, I accept and always try to understand this particular point of view about each skater watching him/her, but there is no obligation to actually like everything I see.

With Kaetlyn, the common thing I get from her skating, way of performance is this easy-on-eyes balance between all elements building it. I feel like the design of her choreography just reflects the effect Kaetlyn and her team want to achieve, and it definitely does not hurt that the music chosen, French theme used are very fitting for both skater and this choreography design/program concept. Another thing I notice watching this SP is how organically, naturally the performance flows - there is a piece of music, a skater and movement I notice, all together making the effect. I think that this 'simplicity' of concept about Kaetlyn's SP is making it so effective and successful, for me it's more about working out the final effect, this strong performance impact on ice directly in action, not before and not after that, i.e. I feel that choreography is not a focal point for that SP: there is no 'afterthought'/'lacklustre' factor there, but also there is no forcefulness, literacy in it (I hope it makes sense). Yet another good thing in Kaetlyn's SP is for me the way she captures audience's attention - apart from music, theme and choreography reflecting on her way of skating and expression in a very balanced, harmonious way, there is this kind of space created in the program to just sell it, simply as it sounds: a moment to flirt a bit with the music, a moment to make a stance to emphasise musical accent, a moment to play some kind of character without even intention/plan to do it.

As a wholesome, I think that this choreography design, flow and easiness of it in regards to Kaetlyn's style does the trick for me and makes me appreciate the program performed more and more. I do see the concept behind it in respect to where Kaetlyn is technically and presentation/performance-wise. I understand it and moreover - I like it as a final effect put together.

As for Mai, I think that this Libertango SP is a nice challenge for her actually. Maybe the theme/concept does not seem to fit Mai at first glance, but I do feel that the design of choreography, intricacy of it are playing nicely on Mai's fortes: great musicality, speed, easiness of movement, clean lines, sharpness and therefore this is a program to use those qualities and build a new wholesome quality itself for Mai's benefit. I think that this SP is also a great opportunity to show expression/performance range of Mai - she may not yet have the clear style, this identity going in her every program, this 'signature' in performance, but these will come with time and experience. Right now I'm very happy that there's actually an effort shown in terms of music/choreo and overall concept used to make her qualities/abilities pop without having this stagnant feel in it - the program, the performance felt definitely like a step forward that an intention to stay in the same place presentation/performance-wise. The program has potential to grow and gain more and more Mai's personality in it, with right mileage, strength in execution it has a chance to become a really strong asset for her on a road to Olympics, looking how strong programs as concepts Japanese Ladies have.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found the PCS scores absurd. It seemed as if only Kaetlyn, Mai and Alaine received scores higher than 6s, and everyone else regardless of where they placed were relegated to the 6s and below. Hicks gets 7s in PCS when she competes elsewhere, but here, straight 6s across the board.

snd

On the Ice
why did tursynbaeva get such a low score?

i haven't had the opportunity to watch anyone yet but i did see the scores...

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
why did tursynbaeva get such a low score?

i haven't had the opportunity to watch anyone yet but i did see the scores...

no falls but both of the jumps at her combo was called UR and landing of her 3F wasnt good

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I found the PCS scores absurd. It seemed as if only Kaetlyn, Mai and Alaine received scores higher than 6s, and everyone else regardless of where they placed were relegated to the 6s and below. Hicks gets 7s in PCS when she competes elsewhere, but here, straight 6s across the board.

Courtney skated first and had a rough outing...

PLease keep in mind that the judges here are international judges... and if they are unanimous across the board, well, they probably have noticed things that you or I from our couches haven't seen.

snd

On the Ice
no falls but both of the jumps at her combo was called UR and landing of her 3F wasnt good

thanks, buddy

yeah just saw her sp. the music is hardly tolerable and doesn't scream 'pcs boost!', the jumps indeed had bad landings... shame. her ss, ability to fill the whole rink with her presence and fiery performance deserve better tech and music to accompany them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks, buddy

yeah just saw her sp. the music is hardly tolerable and doesn't scream 'pcs boost!', the jumps indeed had bad landings... shame. her ss, ability to fill the whole rink with her presence and fiery performance deserve better tech and music to accompany them.

carmen is a tough sell for Elizabet... her footwork was really the highlight of her program but that won't be enough IMHO... too bad...

snd

On the Ice
carmen is a tough sell for Elizabet... her footwork was really the highlight of her program but that won't be enough IMHO... too bad...

i think carmen would be excellent for her. let's be honest, that awful crossover dud is no carmen.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The story for me last night was that Kaetlyn's results from last year weren't just "a fluke" as some in a certain Thread have professed. She picked up where she left off from last season. There will be some refinement to the short to keep it fresh, but it has only been recently that she decided to go back to her Piaf program. She looked pretty damn polished for only starting to work on this program 2 weeks ago.

Overall from what I saw, definitely an Olympic medal contender.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Is there any recording with Alaine's sp. I watched all the ladies, except Alaine (I saw her falling during steps, but that was all)

Nika09

On the Ice
The way how Mai shows her emotions after performances and scoring is priceless!

And so glad to see really beautiful costume on her. Finally!
I like her SP, and seems she was more comfortable with it, but there was something different with her StSq this time, wasn't it? I think there's too much difficult and chaotic moves in sequences that make it pretty uncomfortable to perform. But...no that amazing side lunge this time?!
Anyway it's new and different for her, sure will be fine by the time.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
The way how Mai shows her emotions after performances and scoring is priceless!

And so glad to see really beautiful costume on her. Finally!
I like her SP, and seems she was more comfortable with it, but there was something different with her StSq this time, wasn't it? I think there's too much difficult and chaotic moves in sequences that make it pretty uncomfortable to perform. But...no that amazing side lunge this time?!
Anyway it's new and different for her, sure will be fine by the time.

there is a twizzle section which she missed at ice show because she tripped, and side lunge is still there, maybe you didnt notice it because of the camera angle, i am sure there are small changes (2A entrance for example looked different to me) but nothing big :think:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Kaetlyn Osmond kept the last season's phenomenal short program and it was a wise move. She scored over 75, close to 9 points ahead of Mai Mihara, who is the Japanese record holder in the free skating competition. Kaetlyn Osmond is clearly a medal contender at PyeongChang.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Big jumps - impressive. With 100% backloading and no stumbles she can add 3-4 points to be in "Medvedeva's" area at least in SP. The question is what she can show in FP this season. Or in fact the question is what she will be able to show in FP when it will most matter.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Big jumps - impressive. With 100% backloading and no stumbles she can add 3-4 points to be in "Medvedeva's" area at least in SP. The question is what she can show in FP this season. Or in fact the question is what she will be able to show in FP when it will most matter.

yes... impressive... and her name is kaetlyn... and she won't backload... in summertime, her lutz was in the bonus area... but here, in piaf, it works really well where it is... they may alter it ... or not...

judges could also decide that her interpretation and skating skills as well as her choreography show a very special skater, well-rounded in all areas... her pcs could reach new heights and really, close the gap. regarding the other question... we will find out only at the games... but last year, her best FP was indeed when it mattered most.