2017 Autumn Classic Intl SD | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl SD

randomsplashes

Rinkside
Looking at today's score of 79.96...it took Tessa and Scott up to NHK last season to reach close to that number. That's pretty awesome. Knowing that they'll continue to improve on this program makes me think that they might shatter some records here!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lorraine & Quinn--I'll take it. She looked nervous and can skate that with more flair and attack. But they are here--in the field with three top ten Canadian teams and the same warm-up group with Virtue & Moir--and did their job. Of course all these teams in their twenties and thirties are so much more polished and mature. But McNamara & Carpenter are so fun! They are themselves and that is what makes them special. This is a great place to start: seeing the real competition that lies ahead & the work it will take to climb that mountain.

Gilles & Poirier--I think they should ditch the costume change, but at the end of the event I felt like this was one of the performances that came off as polished and really ready to go. I'm not sure if it will move them up the ranks and stand out at the end of the season, but at this point in the year it is one of the stronger programs/debuts I have seen. Potential is there.

Weaver & Poirier--I really just want to put her in a slinky, mature red dress and let her perform that same program to see how it would impact me differently. It seems to me that the opening music is mature, and this is really their strength; but the costume feels too 50's high school and distracted me. Plus the twizzles. W&P need some time, and I'll look forward to watching it with fresh eyes live at SC.

Virtue & Moir--They are not my kind of team so I always hesitate to analyze their programs, but her body movement is great. I find the program itself rather a hot mess, but they skated it fast. And I'm sure they will add polish as the season goes along.

The Danes--I find their SD to be one of the most cohesive programs of the season thus far. A word that I do not use lightly. And really appreciate about any team that brings it in their Latin SD (I have seen a LOT of them now). Sorry about the twizzles.

Lauriault & Le Gac--I think this is the better of their two programs and my favorite SD for them over the past three years. Good start for them.

Smart & Diaz--Well it was a great deal better than last week. Nice to see them shake that off and attack this event. I am missing the unique, Tina Turner personality from their last season's SD, but I like their FD much better this season so... tradeoffs.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Or an Anna ;P

Sorry OS, I have no reference point here, as I am not that invested. Do you mean Anna has also changed outfits in her program mid-stream, or do you mean to be performing at a certain standard, only to falter due to the circumstances. :scratch:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sorry OS, I have no reference point here, as I am not that invested. Do you mean Anna has also changed outfits in her program mid-stream, or do you mean to be performing at a certain standard, only to falter due to the circumstances. :scratch:

Rise like the Pheonix moment ... costume change :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
hi All, after my stupid laptop did not work well for the stream I had to re-watch...There is after 2 a.m. in Poland now, I know I'll be suffering tomorrow, but I want to share my thoughts being 'fresh'

Happy for Olivia/Adria as this was definitely better that last week, then gutted for Laurence and Nikolai for this fall on twizzles. I think that there is solid concept, idea behind both SDs and a team to pull each one off, which is an important thing, as so many SDs presented so far feel too much accidental/afterthought for me. Olivia/Adria's SD is actually quite a nice play on simple, vibrant Latin-themed dance concept with subtle sensual touch in it - there is a great chemistry going between them, both are moving nicely, sometimes there is just too much tightness and hesitation in execution. But there are very good basis to build on. As for Danes, the concept is definitely more defined and directed in certain character - it's a nice play on a bit Latin-vintage theme, with more elegance and control in it, more ballroom-looking like than street Latin improvisation. I'm not yet sold, but this team suits the concept perfectly - with elegant, polished attire, subtelty and this quiet seduction vibe. I like their flow-iness and the fact that they look so well put together execution and performance-wise - it really helps with maintaining a full picture when such freaky fall is happening, kudos to Laurence for a quick recovry and being back right after.

Now, let me just say how happy I am to see a variety of SD presented by 3 top Canadian teams - each of them was different and played on different strings I feel.

With Gilles/Poirier, the represent a school of performance that is totally different from everything we see in Ice Dance today - and that makes them special and cherished in my eyes,as I am a seeker for any kind of quirk, originality and 'out-there' factor, especially done in such masterful, thoughtful way. And this thoughtfulness is actually an advantage, a virtue for me (being probably in minority) - I think that having such clear concept made and prepared execution-wise allows spectators to focus fully on performance, how it develops, not exactly on sole idea behind it. Moreover - I do believe that analyzing their prepared concept of a program is the last thing they want to see from audience; they do their research, find inspiration, prepare concept, the tools to pull it off with such care and thought to come towards people with ready to go program and try to sell it as a performance in action. And I personally buy it completely - not only there is a bold, clear idea behind this SD, but there's that tradmark quirk in it, done so tastefully and with 'tongue-in-cheek' vibe I feel. There is a lot of things together that could go very wrong I think (similarly to their Disco SD last season actually): specific music, that vintage feel of it, costume change, this certain way of movement/style they used, expression, but somehow it all work for them. As for way/style of movement - big kudos to choreographers for going bold and really reflecting the musical vibe into movement, transitions. For me, Piper and Paul really stood out with this bouncing action emphasised thorough whole dance, this subtle yet sharp rhythmic accentuation in all elements and knee-bending effort to achieve that flow-y, bouncy vibe of music in 1st part of the dance especially. I really love the flow, easy on eyes quality of that dance, its insane musicality, care about little details, body control. And that little sleeves appearance - very cheeky and right into quirk alley, only adding this 'oomph' to the wholesome, this much-needed spice. Saying all of that - I do understand that for some it could be too weird, too quirky, too conceptual and idea-centric, but myself, I'd rather see more of those with bold idea behind them than a bunch of similar Latin wannabes without identity.

Whereas Piper and Paul played on more vintage-Latin character vibe with cheekiness in it, Kaitlyn and Andrew opted for more general vibe of Latin, based more on sensuality, a subtle seduction going between woman and man I feel. It might be not the most loud and prominent concept to present, but they sure have goods to pull it off convincingly - love this vibrant chemistry going between them, the connection between music and their movement, as choreography seems to reflect the character of music very well. Actually, going for more 'low-key' Latin SD could bring them a new dimension, a new quality in their performance, BUT it has to be executed perfectly, without a hitch and with lots of attack. Today I felt that they were too far from each other at places and that there was no unison and harmony in all of their elements/moves - I do feel that this SD requires that look of one partner being a continuation of another one, this harmony and dialogue between their bodies in dance. About costumes - they looked good, sharp and clean in these b&w ones, but I can't help but want to hose them with some colour and sparkle, to add that 'oomph' factor to the whole package...I do love the concept of that SD, the music, this understated, unforced feel in it, but some 'spicing it up' choreographically wouldn't hurt in my opinion. Today I saw sparkles flying off between then, next time I want to see fire blazing:laugh:, they are totally capable of that 'spicing'.

And Tessa and Scott - I have to say that I kind of understand those who are already saying that this is too much or OTT, because they went for probably all aspects of that SD with equal force, making everything big and loud, hence this 'overwhelming' feeling of having lots of things making fireworks at once I'd say. There's costuming, there's music, there's movement, there's expression - all popping out with equal force. Saying that, I actually got totally sucked by the whole performance composed of all those things and left very impressed how they were actually able to rule them out by their performance skills. The whole thing felt...animalistic almost, magnetic, mesmerizing, vivid, full of life and energy. And boy, can they sold it - the amount of confidence, devotion and engagement they put into this performance at the very beginning of the season show that they want it to succeed. For me, this SD is even more ready to go than Prince SD last year at ACI in terms of choreography, expression and idea behind it, which is kind of insane, counting in what potential it has to grow...Honestly, I don't mind music cuts - the choreography and the way they attack it is very in synch with those for me. Music itself gives that flavour, unique taste and dimension into whole program and performance of it - there is some Latin ingredient, but it is not very obvious. Then, what makes the whole dance Latin is their way of movement, which for me is the biggest highlight of this SD and a centerpiece of it, bringing all those elements together. NO ONE - and I mean it - can move like them when it comes to Latin-related theme, the first part of the dance spun my head around few times alone: the stance, the attitude, upper body control, edge work, hands accentuation, hip action, holds - all done flawlessly, with proper technique, speed, rhythmic accuracy AND connection to the music and each other. Then, the Rhumba part - the lines, ice coverage, patter flowing seamlessly with sharpness, connection again, done all in sensual way, but without being obvious. The finale - the entrance alone between 'Hotel California' and Santana in choreography is a masterpiece for me, both elements - twizzles and lift - going perfectly with the music, however - I do expect the end to be changed, similarly to their 2011/12 SD, to accomodate more space between lift and ending pose to hit all accents more sharply. Also - I expect Tessa costume to be altered thorough the season, but I'm digging actually this vampy look, on the heavier side of make-up and styling, because to be honest it goes in the same direction like the rest of the dance. Scott's attire I plain love and wish it would stay. The whole dance is just a play of two individualities united in one, being one another's continuation, seducing one another. For me, this SD showcases the way the move on the first place which is a gift alone to cherish for the whole season.

BIG apologies for the lenght!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ha, sorry to traumatize you! Only brought it back to say "Look how far she's come..." That was during my peak B/S hatin' days, especially when they beat my beloved ShibSibs.

Anyway, I will express optimism that she will move on. It was like HER version of Halloween Latin with all the black. Please, Tessa -- COLOR. :)

I will try to refrain from comparing the TES cause you know different panels, but yeah, Parsons definitely stood out performance wise for me. I think Lorraine and Quinn had the extroverted Latin feel but it definitely lacked the polish we saw with the Parsons.

As long as Scott keeps his - he's wearing an actual costume that isn't black and I love it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a few thoughts as i just watched some teams (was working today)

Tessa and Scott : wow... this SD is awesome... I love the costumes too... Tessa with that hair !!! WOW!!! the program was exactly what i imagined in terms of music cuts... when they revealed their choices.. many people were dubious.. i knew they would bring the "latin flair" versions of the songs and create a super smooth soundscape... LOVED it....

Weapo : I reserve the right to judge after their first GP... this dance is not ready and doesn't showcase them as much as it should... however, the elegance, the costumes... i adored... I just wished there was a bit more flair and glamour in here.... they have done it, they can do it. Twizzles mistakes or not, this is NOT the appropriate vehicle to get them in the final flight at the Olympics. I am sure the FD is glorious so I hope this SD will get rehauled.

Piper and Paul : OMG I LOVE YOU GUYS! I am speechless. I adored it.. it was one of the most entertaining short dance I have seen in a long time. They are mesmerizing in their interpretation. Loved it.. and loved the outfits.

My favourite quebec-danes : sigh for the fall. you were both so gorgeous though... hope the FD is great tomorrow. I will be in the house cheering for all these gorgeous men (and of course for Adria too!!!! ) and ladies.

Barb

Record Breaker
V/M wow, when they announced their music, music far from latin music, I thought that they had a great idea about the program, not a latin one, but a great program anyway. I was wrong, sorry but it is not a good program :slink:, it seems just like a bunch of movements without sense/purpose, and it is not latin, but it is not rock either :unsure: :scratch2:, and it is definitely OTT. Anyway, I don´t think they need a great program to win.

W/P I like the program but I was surprised how sloppy they were. With more practice and better costumes it will be great.

P/G I like it, I don´t love it yet, but probably later. I think they have made it clear that they are characters when they are skating. I would like watch them in a more natural program just for once, but I really appreciate how much thinking they put in their programs. They are never boring.

S/D, better than last competition, Olivia moves really well in the dancing, honestly, I was surprised that two of the girls who in my opinion move better and more naturally in the Latin rhythm are a British girl and a Japanese girl, that will teach me not to prejudge :eek::.

M/C not their day :eek:hwell:

andromache

Record Breaker
I loved V/M's SD, but it didn't feel like a rhumba and the costumes are BAD. But the primary competition (P/C) are bad at SDs, so it's really not a big deal.

rustyskater

Rinkside
VM was way over the top. I did not get a Latin feel at all except for Tessa's hair, heavy makeup and costumes. Just because they engage in a lot of body movements does not mean the body movements are good. In fact, some of the beginning moves seemed frenetic, jarring, sloppy and clownish all at the same time. I laughed a little. Still they were the best of the bunch. I think they want to leverage the energy of their Prince SD this year - which is inimitable and smart for them to use. But still - not that good.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The beginning of V/M's SD looked very sharp to me. I guess if you haven't really watched them last season you'd think it was frenetic or jarring but that's how the Prince program started too. Those moves were based on 'waacking' as I read somewhere.

The SD will be tweaked for sure. Level 3s are not their cup of tea. The costume will likely change too. What I was happy to see was the close skating, the speed, the ability to execute most of it without big hiccups.

Kaitlyn will have a new dress later. I am honestly not feeling their SD. I know their FD will be phenomenal, so this SD holding them back is of concern. I would change it if I could as WeaPo usually do better with a new SD. But it may be too late for that.

Piper & Paul - still good. Need levels help. Can totally score in the 70s once those are fixed.

Lorraine & Quinn - Good energy. Agreed with others that this SD needs Latinization. Felt more pop to me.

Nickolaj & Laurence :(

I liked the Spaniards.

pearly

Record Breaker
Regarding V/M rhythim, music etc: isn't SD about rhythm? The ISU assigns a rhythm (or two) for the season and the ice dancers have to include music of that rhythm in their SD. VM did that, both the Stones and the Eagles check those boxes.

Mayumi1990

Rinkside
Im sorry but none of the pairs captured the theme of the SD.

Shaking your shoulders/ hips or thrusting your partner doesnt make it latin.

V/M was good but their dance has zero latin flair.

In a perfect world W/P and the rest should be dinged in the PE, CO, and definitely IN.

If V/M cant capture the feel of the dance I'm not sure if the others can. The Russians are looking hopeless, The Canadians looks like wannabes, so we'll see how the Americans, French and Italian team looks like but i doubt it.

If someone gets 8s or especially 9s in PE, CO and IN, well that is just :palmf::think:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
hi All, after my stupid laptop did not work well for the stream I had to re-watch...There is after 2 a.m. in Poland now, I know I'll be suffering tomorrow, but I want to share my thoughts being 'fresh'

BIG apologies for the lenght!
You don't have to apologize, NoNameFace. I haven't been able to find any emoticons (or bolding, for that matter) etc. on the mobile version of this site, so big thumbs up for your whole post. It's so insightful and, at the same time, positive towards/about everyone without being too gushy. Thank you for that.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I know this is late but I just had to say FB/S are just so classy and sophisticated:hap93:. Unfortunate about the fall, but this should get really good throughout the season.

I am really loving the creativity and diversity coming out of the Gadbois camp. I am really looking forward to the Shibs, C/L, P/C and C/B. Ice dance is looking really interesting this season.:yahoo:

Im sorry but none of the pairs captured the theme of the SD.

Shaking your shoulders/ hips or thrusting your partner doesnt make it latin.

V/M was good but their dance has zero latin flair.

In a perfect world W/P and the rest should be dinged in the PE, CO, and definitely IN.

If V/M cant capture the feel of the dance I'm not sure if the others can. The Russians are looking hopeless, The Canadians looks like wannabes, so we'll see how the Americans, French and Italian team looks like but i doubt it.

If someone gets 8s or especially 9s in PE, CO and IN, well that is just :palmf::think:

I'm inclined to agree with you there. It seems like so many teams are trying to set themselves apart by performing some special twist on the assigned style, rather than working within the boundaries of that style. I was so excited for V/M's short dance when Tessa posted this clip of one of their previous performances; I just love the explosive energy in that clip. It's funny, now, comparing that to their current SD because although the opening rhythm in the current dance is very similar, the overall impression (to me, anyway) is much more diffused: whereas the older dance draws your eyes immediately to their hips, which in turn accentuate the rhythm, in the current dance everything -- limbs, facial expressions, interactions with each other -- is dialed up to 10, so that I don't know what to look at.

Tessa and Scott will probably dominate the short dance, as usual, but I do think they've left the door open for another team to upstage them. If Gabby and Guillaume or the Shibutanis, or even Chock and Bates, come out with a more classically latin character and style and manifest all the potential within that style, then I think they can be a real threat in the SD.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think the SD is a work in progress for all the teams. I think they need to have a few outings in front of an audience to know if it's working or not.
I did not like the very top of Tessa's dress with all the gold stuff. Didn't appeal to me but she looked great and the hair was on point.

I didn't care for W/P dance and her dress seemed more sock hop to me. And I find G/P costume change too gimmickry and this is from someone who loved the disco last year (it was my favourite sd)

So sad when Laurence fell. ACK. Isn't it bad enough that they can't go to the Olympics?? Let them have a good season Skating Gods.

Smart and Diaz and the American pair both looked good to me. Nice to see that America has depth at the dance level. I can see some of these teams rising in the next quarter if any of the top teams retire and if not they are so young they will probably be around for the next one after that. I foresee much gold for U.S. Ice Dance in the future.

I hate, hate, hate to say this but I'm starting to fear that P/C are correct and the music will just be bad this year for the short dance and we will all just have to grin and bear it.