13Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOVFRA145.721113video
14Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI GBR143.421214video
15Lana PETRANOVIC / Antonio SOUZA-KORDEIRUCRO140.091515video
16Arina CHERNIAVSKAIA / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKIISR133.321616video
Victory ceremony

Last edited:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
T/M's last lift was definitely problematic, but for example the commentators I was listening to didn't realise that at all, I guess some judges did the same, although I think it was pretty obvious and they are supposed to be paid for noticing mistakes:rolleye:.... Anyway I hope at least these scores won't be revised:biggrin:...
they got level 2 for this lift. 3Li2 and almost no GOE...
no problem here...

whatif

Medalist
You may like or dislike T/M LP, it works live. When they skate clean, it builds the momentum and lifts the rink. It's cheesy but very clever. PCS wise they have been 70+ for several seasons now, so no complaints.

sarama

Medalist
they got level 2 for this lift. 3Li2 and almost no GOE...
no problem here...

I was simply noticing that some judges gave positive GOEs (+3 and + 2)for that lift, which probably was not correct, but I'm not complaining on what they got AND they absolutely won fair and square

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Omg, I was bawling my eyes out by the end of Vanessa and Morgan's skate! So, so happy for them! Dare I say it, I'd have had them even higher... but so, so good! The crowd were roaring by the end and I expect many joined me in tears too. Well done, and please skate like that at Worlds. :hap93: :yahoo: :love:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I have only seen the Top 4 pairs, my impressions are:
-Tarasova/Morozov - I like their FP a lot, mainly because of the music. I haven't known it before but I guessed it's something like from a video games from the late 1970s/early 1980s. I wasn't that much wrong, the song was released in 1976. :) They skated to it technically flawless, though they need to work to show their emotions more mo
-Savchenko/Massot - Aliona is the queen of pairs skating, they have been through so much and again she proved that she is stronger than I could have imagined. Their program is lovely and she is such a character on the ice. I am very happy for their medal
-James/Cipres - so much emotions in that program. Ok there were a couple of tiny mistakes but overall they enjoyed every second of it, not surprise the crowd loved it too. Well done and congratulations on their first medal
-Stolbova/Klimov - I love them so much, and I think this futuristic kind of style suit them madly, but today it was a bit flaw...I found the choreo boring, or just didn't like their too serious interpretation, I don't know. I hope they will get better for Worlds.

janav

On the Ice
Just arived from the arena to in-laws place and I must say, I had to drive slowly because I was still processing this AMAZING competition! There really is something about watching skating live. Now, I'm hardly an expert in the intricate details of scoring, I watch skating for the enjoyment it brings me, I'll leave the dissection of scores to you, kind folks ;). With that being said, here are my two cents:
The night belonged to Vanessa and Morgan, no doubt about that in my mind. They were mesmerizing. And I say this as die-hard Aliona fan. But this night? Nope. Vanessa was the Queen (and on very, very shallow note: She oozes with sexiness.....OK, I'll leave this for the fanfest) And she's the only lady apart form Aliona who can rock the unitard and look sultry in it instead of weird (I'm looking at you, miss Rebecca Ghillardi of Italy)
T/M are deserving winners. Their programs were discussed ad nauseam here, so I'm not going to pile on but like it or not, they delivered. I'm sure they'll grow into great performers, we've already seen glimpses here and there. Congratulations!
Aliona/Bruno: I'm not feeling this program (don't kill me for saying that). Their short is masterpiece but I just couldn't connect with the free. But seeing that twist being performed right in front of you...wow. Saying it's 'impressive' would not do justice to that element. Just wow.
Honorary mention to the local cuties that are Duskova/Bidar. I have such a soft spot for them and it was heartwarming to see them perform so well. They certainly made the crowd very happy. And I wanna pinch Martin's cheeks (#notweirdatall)

QuadThrow

Medalist
This was a dream competition. I can hardly remember having seen this level at Euros ever. Pair Skating at its best.

I really think T/M deserved the win because of their clean and stunning SP. Their Free is too old fashioned and their costumes are just bad. The PCS were overscored.

Queen Aljona came back stronger than anyone could have ever imagined. What a performance. After Pink Panther and Pina she performed another masterpiece with lighthouse today. Bruno looked amazingly soft today.

Vanessa and Morgen got the things together today. Really impressive how the beat S/K. This could have been the high point in their careers. Congratulations.

So sad for S/K. Definitly number two in Russia now.
So many thoughts in my mind. Great evening.

snd

On the Ice
vanessa and morgan EARNED IT. (hurr durr)

s/m were profound, though. absolutely profound. it's a program for the ages (so is their current sp). personally, i'd have had them 1st. this performance (hers in particular) did all sorts of things to me...

QuadThrow

Medalist
A +3 GOE across the board is so satisfying to look at (Bruno and Aliona sky-reaching 3Tw)

Some elements really push the bounderies of the system.

T/M. 3Tw4 maximum score. 8.70
S/M. 3Tw3 maximum score 8.30
S/M. 5ALi4 9.50 missed the maximum by 0.1

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I was at the arena and it was such a great competition! First of all I have to say the Czech team did amazing job and I think this performance and result at such a young age is a big success :)
I'm happy that we have a podium of a three perfect FPs. Tarasova/Morozov were perfect and I love the music. I was also very happy for Vanessa and Morgan I hoped for the good results, because their practices has been very good this week.
And I have to say: Aliona Savchenko is a beautiful, legendary and unbelievable skater! I was afraid something will go wrong in their FS and then they did this! That was something :love:!!! Their throws weren't the most difficult ones but we have to understand she was injured. But easier elements doesn't mean this was something less than the others. I was almost in tears by the end of their program. The program is so elegant and SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL.

TGee

Record Breaker
Nope.

She may have been born in Canada, but she is Bermudan.

Which means she is British! :agree: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Uhm, both Canada and the UK allow dual citizenships. One doesn't have to apply, they just happen if you are born elsewhere or if you apply for citizenship of a non-British country/territory. These are really a frequent combination. Lot's of folks use both citizenships actively....

Born in Canada = automatic Canadian citizenship....British Overseas Territories Citizenship parents but born elsewhere [Bermudan parents] = just have to provide documentation and get passport as a citizen 'by descent' last time I looked.

It's so common to have dual citizenships that Canadians are reminded that when they are in the country of their other citizenship the duties and rights of citizens of that country take precedence, unless citizenhip is formally renounced.

So, in the UK and British Territories for Vanessa the British Territorial Citizenship takes precedence, when in Canada it's her Canadian citizenship. And if she adds a French citizenship to that, well, that's not so uncommon either.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That has to be one of the best European Pairs competition for a long time, so many couples delivered tonight.

Delighted to see T/M on top of the podium. Just like the short, the twist, throws and jumps were top class. I thought they may not get credit for the last lift, but it was given a lv2, they also lost levels on the DS and PCoS so they have the potential to score higher still. This performance was an improvement over the GPF, it's still not the best vehicle for them but it did get a great audience reaction.

I haven't really enjoyed S/M's free all season, I think because they were attempting all the harder throws but they were always messy and scrappy which left a bad impression. Tonight's performance was amazing, it was just perfect. Holding back on the difficulty and going for quality really paid off. She really has whipped him into shape, I still think it's all about her but he is really improving.

The French were fantastic, I really didn't think they would handle the pressure but they didn't hold back. They went for everything and bar the Th4S it all came off. While they scored well on TES I didn't they would make the podium as I felt they would lose out on PCS. It's good to see all their hard work pay off, Vanessa has been skating at a senior level for such a long time, they deserve this.

K/S were much improved from Russian Nationals but surprising to see her have the same mistake on the Th3F again. Just like in the short you see their quality straight away, they just command your attention. They skate in a way & style that I don't see any other couple being able to do. I feel they were hard done on PCS, for me they were the best but if that happened J/C would be off the podium. Looking forward to seeing them at Worlds.

A special word to D/B, what a fantastic performance in front of their home crowd. They had a slightly disappointing JGP, I felt Anna has struggled on her jumps this season but that was forgotten here. No matter where that would have been skated, it would have gone well with the audience. I expected Z/E to be somewhat closer to the Top teams, the BESP guys were very impressed with their lines and how well everything was finished. I also enjoyed Team GB, they came back strong after the error in the lift and also the team from Belarus.

Hopefully the rest of the week follows this high standard.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Great competition but very disappointing results. James/Cipres won this thing. Their program was both more difficult and better performed than the Russians. Tarasova/Morosov's program just died at the end with that poor lift and lackluster final spin. Their death spiral was ugly and their other spin of the program was off too. They made too many mistakes and don't have enough maturity. Savchenko/Massot had a great performance but technically they weren't strong enough here. They didn't do any throw harder than Triple Sal the whole competition, plus a fall in the SP and mistake on one of the jumps in the LP.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Great competition but very disappointing results. James/Cipres won this thing. Their program was both more difficult and better performed than the Russians. Tarasova/Morosov's program just died at the end with that poor lift and lackluster final spin. Their death spiral was ugly and their other spin of the program was off too. They made too many mistakes and don't have enough maturity. Savchenko/Massot had a great performance but technically they weren't strong enough here. They didn't do any throw harder than Triple Sal the whole competition, plus a fall in the SP and mistake on one of the jumps in the LP.
Yeap If we were the judges, the French should have won this. I would still place S/M second because I can't stand T/M's horrible program!!!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Finally a good pairs competition and I missed it! *falls off cliff* :drama:

Drat. Congrats to all who skated well. I'm going off to sulk now. Any chance pairs at 4CC will be as good?

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - what a competition. My first thought is the US ought to just save money and not send any pairs teams to Worlds. Hate to say that but our pairs program is soooooo outclassed, technically inferior, and choreographically short.

The French were amazing. The Germans were amazing.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I just got done watching the YT vids :)thank: to the ones managing the vid threads) and I'M SO PROUD OF MY PASTY WASHED OUT BBs!!!! :hap93: :yahoo: :peace:

...but it's J/C's skates I keep going back to