2017 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Pairs FS

andromache

Record Breaker
Rewatching the best performances from today where I can focus on them better since I am not at work.

Jesus. James/Cipres. I've been saying since Skate America that their LP is the best program of the season in any discipline, and this performance finally did it justice. I'm SO happy. Kind of never thought we'd get to see it clean. Quality and originality of the choreography should've had them in first in the LP, and then in 2nd or 3rd overall, probably, since their TES was the highest. Lack of reputation really effed them here, seriously. This is a masterpiece. Capitalize on this medal for Worlds and for next season, my adopted children!

Aliona and Bruno have two excellent, first class programs. Probably the pair with the overall best two programs this season that isn't Sui/Han (have we seen their programs yet? I feel out of the loop). When Aliona picked Bruno, she chose super well. Who would've thought they'd be so beautiful and successful together? When Aliona first announced her comeback with a new partner, I think it was mostly joked about. I love how her work with Bruno is SO different from what she did with Robin. This LP is just beautiful, and Aliona is a goddess, as usual, and Bruno holds up his end of the partnership, too. Their SBS spin was magnificently in-sync and fast. This program is basically destined to become iconic, which makes me wonder how they can top this (and their SP) for next season.

Evgenia and and Vladimir have the best all-around quality of overall individual elements in the world. They might not have the BEST twist, or the BEST throws, or the BEST SBS, but they are the only team to be really stunning at all three, at the moment. (Chinese need work on SBS, S/M still need the throws to be perfect). Their skating skills are excellent, only outmatched here by S/M and S/K. Too bad this LP is generic as can be, with dull choreography and uninspired (though effortful) interpretation. They do their best with it, but lack a certain spark or WOW factor that J/C, S/M, and S/K have. The right choreographer/choreography could bring something new out of them. Mozer better do justice to them next season. Everything else is all there. Give my other adopted children better programs! They could be Olympic champs.

Ksenia and Fedor are beautiful and elegant and their skating skills are top-notch, the choreography is unique and interesting and extremely well-executed, and the program feels a little like modern art. But it leaves me utterly cold. There's zero warmth here. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing...aesthetically interesting and excellent. But I think programs that make you FEEL something (like S/M's LP) end up having more of an impact. Their twist isn't at the same level as the other three pairs I've discussed here, and they fell on one throw. The throws have been looking a little small; even when landed, one feels it wouldn't have the same wow factor that T/M's throws do. Their lines, skating, and synchronicity (and confidence in that synchronicity) are unmatched. Flawless in everything but the elements and in how cold they are. Time is on their side, as opposed to S/M. Will they go past 2018? For now, their limited (yet excellent) interpretation and a few of the elements are holding them back. We'll see if they bring it for Worlds.

But seriously, SUCH a well-skated pairs event. Stunning. 4CCs probably can't top it, but I'm super excited at the prospect of seeing Sui/Han! My other adopted children! Plus, I do really love Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the absolutely stunning Vanessa James and her handsome partner Morgan Cipres. I can't wait to see them at Worlds.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Congratulations to all the medalists! Vanessa & Morgan's great showing here is quite unexpected but really really impressive! Simply WOW! :2thumbs:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Wow - what a competition. My first thought is the US ought to just save money and not send any pairs teams to Worlds. Hate to say that but our pairs program is soooooo outclassed, technically inferior, and choreographically short.

The French were amazing. The Germans were amazing.

Actually Scimeca-knierim/Knierim have beaten both the French team and T/M and Sui/Han so they are actually in a great spot to do some damage or at least be a team that could mess them up so it could be very exciting!

noskates

Record Breaker
Skatemouse - possibly! But a lot of these teams we're talking about have improved immeasurably and The Knierams have been off the ice for some time now. I always want the best for the US but our pairs program is really suffering.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
The final group was just incredible! (Yes, even with Ksenia's fall) And the FS from Aliona and Bruno and Vanessa and Morgan were stunning, seeing both teams so happy and satisfied with their programs made me happy. And congratulations to Evgenia and Vladmir for winning Euros, that's two out of two for the "big" competitions of the season :cheer;

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone finally give T/M the programs they deserve now? They are the Russian #1 Pairs teams without a a doubt now so can their coaches start treating them like they are?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to say this one more time. I am begging everyone to get clips of Mikhail Kolyada and Javi. I will not be able to stay awake tonight as I have an early morning..

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can someone finally give T/M the programs they deserve now? They are the Russian #1 Pairs teams without a a doubt now so can their coaches start treating them like they are?
My worry is that their coaches truly believe in their taste... :reye: like: "NO, this is masterpiece! See? You won thanks to these! How dare they complain!"

skatemouse

On the Ice
Skatemouse - possibly! But a lot of these teams we're talking about have improved immeasurably and The Knierams have been off the ice for some time now. I always want the best for the US but our pairs program is really suffering.

According to the article that was written they are back to full training and have been since September just didn't have enough training time before Nationals to run programs and be ready. Also some of these teams are in the same situation although they are injured and still are recovering. If they are back to full training and doing all their elements which some of the videos I have seen from NM show and NYC show then that is incorrect. Also I am sure they are monitored and doing all their elements. They were also not injured and never were injured. Alexa had surgery because she was sick so that is a totally different situation than an injury don't know why but I know it was not an injury as the article said it clearly.
I think D/F will come back with a vengeance. My point was if the Knierim's have beat these teams before including Sui/Han too then what could possibly happen at World's? Will be interesting now they are trained and by the end of March will be very well trained. I do not expect 4cc's to be perfect as they are just going out there but by World's having beat these teams before that is not suffering so they may have a shot D/F too.

skatemouse

On the Ice
My worry is that their coaches truly believe in their taste... :reye: like: "NO, this is masterpiece! See? You won thanks to these! How dare they complain!"

Sorry the skating was beautiful the program and music was horrific and totally effected their score and it was not their fault at all. SO not right.

noskates

Record Breaker
So far I think a lot of the music at Europeans has been dreadful. It's hard enough to listen to a program but can you imagine what those poor skaters go through having to skate to it every day? :palmf:

I hope the Knierems are strong and capable. I just think they're up against a lot with the top 3 from Europeans.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually Scimeca-knierim/Knierim have beaten both the French team and T/M and Sui/Han so they are actually in a great spot to do some damage or at least be a team that could mess them up so it could be very exciting!

Huge potential yes, but remember T/M have really improved. And Sui and Han are the team y ou can count on at wordls. SK/K could really do well and are a better chance to be in the final flight than their counterparts but the American teams though could do well they easily could crash and burn think about it 3 Russians, 2 Chinese, 3 Canadians, 2 Italians, 1 French, ! German - on a bad day the top American team could be 14th I have to say I give it to the Russians for really staying tough Really T and M though are no. 4 in Russia S and K, V and T and K and S before injury then T and M. And good for the third Russian team doing so well. WHile I am proud of the French - pretty amazing how Russia stays up there despite all the injuries and of course a baby changes everything too.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Uhm, both Canada and the UK allow dual citizenships. One doesn't have to apply, they just happen if you are born elsewhere or if you apply for citizenship of a non-British country/territory. These are really a frequent combination. Lot's of folks use both citizenships actively....

Born in Canada = automatic Canadian citizenship....British Overseas Territories Citizenship parents but born elsewhere [Bermudan parents] = just have to provide documentation and get passport as a citizen 'by descent' last time I looked.

It's so common to have dual citizenships that Canadians are reminded that when they are in the country of their other citizenship the duties and rights of citizens of that country take precedence, unless citizenhip is formally renounced.

So, in the UK and British Territories for Vanessa the British Territorial Citizenship takes precedence, when in Canada it's her Canadian citizenship. And if she adds a French citizenship to that, well, that's not so uncommon either.

Don't worry, I realise all that.

But because it is called "dual" citizenship, I thought you were only allowed to hold citizenship of 2 countries. So, to get the French citizenship that she needs to compete for France at the Olympics, she would have to renounce one of her other citizenships. And since she is from a Bermudan family and grew up on the island, and she is a British champion in Singles skating, the British citizenship seemed the obvious one to hold on to.

You comment actually drove me to investigate it, and it turns out that "dual citizenship" is a misnomer. In this case, "dual" does not have to just mean "two".

So, she can be everything she wants to be! :cheer:

But, since I'm British, I'm saying there's a Brit on the podium. Let's face it, we don't get many medals at the Majors any more, so we're going to claim whatever we can! :laugh:

And since you're Canadian, you can say there's a Canadian on the podium. ;) :biggrin:

So, we're all happy! :cheer:

But somehow, I think Vanessa will be the happiest! ;) :biggrin:

:cheer: WELL DONE VANESSA AND MORGAN!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Rissa

Record Breaker
So far I think a lot of the music at Europeans has been dreadful. It's hard enough to listen to a program but can you imagine what those poor skaters go through having to skate to it every day? :palmf:

I hope the Knierems are strong and capable. I just think they're up against a lot with the top 3 from Europeans.

I imagine if they hated the music, they wouldn't have chosen it. Personally, I mostly liked the music choices at Euros.

snd

On the Ice
Aliona and Bruno --- This program is basically destined to become iconic, which makes me wonder how they can top this (and their SP) for next season.

this. i kept thinking yesterday why they didn't keep these programs for the olympic season. well, maybe we'll get lucky and they will repeat one of these? though knowing her... she's too ambitious for such laziness. oh well...

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I'm going to say this one more time. I am begging everyone to get clips of Mikhail Kolyada and Javi. I will not be able to stay awake tonight as I have an early morning..

Do you mean their short program?
Don't worry, every videos are uploaded on youtube rapidly (usually 15-20 minutes after the skater has finished the program;)). Just check them out without knowing the results. :):thumbsup:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
after all instant emotions cooled off a bit, finally can gather my thoughts together...

First of all - final 4 was AMAZING, despite Tsarina Ksenia's fall (she is still Tsarina and she looked FAB in FS), all delivered their best considering circumstances, coming back from injuries etc. The competition kept me on the edge of my seat, because of the quality, poise oozing from the screen and the fact that all of 4 teams could win this whole thing. More such competitions! And a big shoutout to Czech audience - you rocked it yesterday!

Vanessa and Morgan - undoubtedly stars of the evening and starts of the whole event - two amazingly choreographed and performed programs with nerves from steel and guts to go for that 4S throw. Salute to John Zimmermann who seems to create a champions-like mentality in them, to get together their characters, not always so amicable to each other and to package them with quality stuff. Apart from technical strength, fabulous presentation and interpretation, being clean and sharp what pleases me the most is that judges did not go entirely on 'reputation scores' route - yes, I think too that James/Cipres should be scored even higher in FS, but seeing their best of the best efforts finally recognized properly in scores made me really happy. They showed a full package for me - great skating, fantastic, original, stand-out programs :)bow:), but foremost a fire in their expression, determination, fighter spirit and so much engagement into performance. I seriously hope their success will continue further, because they are fresh, innovative, edgy and a treat to watch if they are on. And this week they were ON big time!

Aliona and Bruno - what a competition for them! Seeing Bruno tearing up after FS was everything...As many of you pointed, they have probably the best set of programs among pairs (James/Cipres are close, Stolbova/Klimov also looks interesting) - flirty, sassy SP with lots of personality and lyrical FS. I am thrilled to see Bruno's blossoming with Aliona - he's got more confident, more in character in both programs, gives her a great support and frame to shine. I hope that they'll realize (Aliona in particular) that sometimes stepping down a bit technically and not going for big tricks is better and that it does not mean that the performance will be worse - quite an opposite as yesterday's FS was amazing, emotional, sophisticated. My big salute and adoration for Queen Aliona who is aging backwards as it seems - when she announcing return to competition with new partner I thought it was a bit too much pushing the luck, but it turned out so, so well - she's chosen smartly and it's fascinating to see such skilled, fearless, ambitious skater again in action and still developing with this new relationship. Love their costumes, love choreography, enjoy their skating, so much positivity in them!

Evgenia and Vladimir - a deserved victory for me. There is a sense of fulfilled promise about them as they were always talented, skilled and quite consistent. I really like their SP, great costuming (bit too washed out as you've pointed, more cake on face!), vibe, attack, FS is still not my favourite, but if it works for them, if THEY are feeling comfortable with it, let them be. There is sense of quality and elevation about them, I like their chemistry too. And there is some kind of fairy aura about them, I can't help it. Overall, I feel like they presented themselves very strongly, both technically and expression-wise which is a step forward, definitely (though PCS should be lower imo, especially in choreography/transitions areas where James/Cipres, Aliona/Bruno and Stolbova/Klimov were better for me). It will be a confidence boost for them and a stamp for consistency going forward.

Few words also on Ksenia and Fedor - they may have no big chemistry for me, but there is that great tension each time they step on ice, there is a sense of something exciting to happen. They looked regal, sophisticated, sharp and poised, even after skipping season so far. I really dig their programs actually and I'm a happy person to see that they've pursued that modern/quirky path with FS, because it suits them I feel: their lines are exquisite, their expression is good. That fall on 3F throw...for me it's about poor timing/off timing about that jump, but I do think they'll work on it as they now are back, so give them time to gel and automatize things.

Last shoutout - babes Duskova/Bidar, you were amazing!!! Such crowd pleasers, definitely a joy to watch and a future of pairs!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
forgot to post my meaningless congratulatory post to TM & JC!!:points:
also obv D/B! what a nice addition to the pair skating world!:luv17:
its great to be excited about the next generation of skaters after my faves KS retire :)sad21:)

still indifferent to SM:laugh: & still alone in that :laugh:

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Few words also on Ksenia and Fedor - they may have no big chemistry for me, but there is that great tension each time they step on ice, there is a sense of something exciting to happen. They looked regal, sophisticated, sharp and poised, even after skipping season so far. I really dig their programs actually and I'm a happy person to see that they've pursued that modern/quirky path with FS, because it suits them I feel: their lines are exquisite, their expression is good. That fall on 3F throw...for me it's about poor timing/off timing about that jump, but I do think they'll work on it as they now are back, so give them time to gel and automatize things.

Last shoutout - babes Duskova/Bidar, you were amazing!!! Such crowd pleasers, definitely a joy to watch and a future of pairs!

I couldn't agree more. I just know that S/K still got it and they have a special aura around them when on the ice. Afterwards Ksenia said in an interview that they just didn't have the time for the programme to become second nature to them, while most of the other pairs have been practicing and performing theirs at least since summer. Taken all that into account, they really did well and sure as hell, they will work on the throw. I also love their quirky elements and this season's FS is just fantastic, the choreo is great! Plenty of time to prepare for Worlds and the very best of luck to them. :party:

It was an unbelievable competition and I was very jealous of everyone who could witness that. Speaking of which, the crowd was just as amazing. Three cheers to the spectators that went with every pair and brought the roof down.:thank:

Finally Duskova/Bidar, welcome to the club. Very impressive and very sympathetic competitors. I'm sure they'll have a great future.
:cool2: