2017 GP NHK Mens SP | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens SP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry I am not up to date, what was his original SP? He is singing in them? bit confused.

I am just not a fan or repeats, including music reused over and over

Wow.. lol. That would be quite something. It is putting your soul your art, not a bad thing. Eric Radford composes.

But uhmm yeah depends if Adam passed the singing test, otherwise it would have been a bit strange.

Sorry what? You went all "oh the USFS tried to sabotage him by making him change program" when you didn't even know what the original program was?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, American theater-goers a couple of years ago liked the play Hamilton about U.S. historical figures, but does it mean anything do international figure skating audiences and judges? Not to mention, The Room Where it Happens is perhaps one of its weaker moments -- no one leaves the theater whistling the "tune". .

Oh, I'll have to disagree with this. First, theatre-goers still love Hamilton; getting tickets is still extremely difficult and an expensive exercise. Second, The Room Where It Happens is the big showstopper number of the second act; it's a great song. BUT, it does rely heavily on context, and it's very exposition-heavy. I do think Jason could have chosen a song better suited to skating. (What'd I Miss? is such a Jason song. Peppy and upbeat and so much jazz.)

However, I don't think the way the song's been cut does it any favours, and I do think there's too much exposition for an international audience. But people from all over do seem to love the program, so we'll see.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Even with that crazy 3A Keegan did fairly well. Happy for him, hope he nails it in the free program! This kid deserves a trip to the Olympics!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Even with that crazy 3A Keegan did fairly well. Happy for him, hope he nails it in the free program! This kid deserves a trip to the Olympics!

I think he may be going, given the way that the other Canadian men have been skating. Not even going into Chan's issues, Reynolds, Nguyen and Nadeau haven't been at their best. I can't even remember what Liam Firus has skated like recently.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sorry what? You went all "oh the USFS tried to sabotage him by making him change program" when you didn't even know what the original program was?

Well.. yeah I am not a fan of repeats. ANY original risktaking work is preferable for me :D
I am actually curious about him singing Diamond. He should just do it for the fun of it and use it as a gala or something.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm not at all sure USFSA can make a skater do anything.

They can suggest, but that's all.

I think the ultimate decision rests with the skater, and let the chips fall where they may.

ranjake

Final Flight
Oh, I'll have to disagree with this. First, theatre-goers still love Hamilton; getting tickets is still extremely difficult and an expensive exercise. Second, The Room Where It Happens is the big showstopper number of the second act; it's a great song. BUT, it does rely heavily on context, and it's very exposition-heavy. I do think Jason could have chosen a song better suited to skating. (What'd I Miss? is such a Jason song. Peppy and upbeat and so much jazz.)

However, I don't think the way the song's been cut does it any favours, and I do think there's too much exposition for an international audience. But people from all over do seem to love the program, so we'll see.
I whistle/sing "The Room where it happens" still- love the show :) To me, though, the vocals are a little too soft in Jason's rendition (or the instruments are a little too loud?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I think he may be going, given the way that the other Canadian men have been skating. Not even going into Chan's issues, Reynolds, Nguyen and Nadeau haven't been at their best. I can't even remember what Liam Firus has skated like recently.

Liam has the 2nd highest ISU SB of the Canadian men -- and Liam is only 0.01 behind Keegan, who has the highest SB.

With his score of 248.29, Liam won the bronze :yay: at 2017 U.S. Classic, behind Nathan Chen and Max Aaron.

Icey

Record Breaker
If viewers aren't familiar with the music Jason skates to in the SP (and some aren't), at the beginning, they could think he is a waiter taking someone's order in a restaurant. His expository mechanism is really no more enlightening than what Med does, for those who don't already know the "story". Actually, I wonder why he has that bit in his program. And she could well leave out most of hers without doing any significant damage.
Meanwhile, we have the prevailing look of angst served up to us by most skaters, which I guess is to show how deeply they feel the music and it always is a pained look.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The absence of Yuzu made this SP very difficult for me to watch. :pray::(
But there were some shining moments namely VORONOV!! Loved his beautiful jumping today, and he looked like he owned the ice. :love:
Hiroaki landed his quad! Is this his first landed quad in competition? I think so...in front of all of Japan, I was so proud of him. :thumbsup:
Tomono was phenomenal, a really good performer, also landed his quad . -There's a glimmer of hope for the future of Japan Men.
I was sad for Jason's small errors, he can still win this, but he's got to really go for those jumps. And that message he held up in the kiss and cry is classic Jason Sweetness, and one of the many reasons why he's beloved by almost everyone.
:luv17:

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If viewers aren't familiar with the music Jason skates to in the SP (and some aren't), at the beginning, they could think he is a waiter taking someone's order in a restaurant. His expository mechanism is really no more enlightening than what Med does, for those who don't already know the "story". Actually, I wonder why he has that bit in his program. And she could well leave out most of hers without doing any significant damage.
Meanwhile, we have the prevailing look of angst served up to us by most skaters, which I guess is to show how deeply they feel the music and it always is a pained look.
Maybe I am a masochist but I enjoy pained look esp. connected with drama hands / dramatic reaches :biggrin: