2017 GP NHK Mens SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Mens SP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Gramps Voronov for his great SP. Fell in love with him at Sk Amer last year. That was a monster 4T. :jaw:

JustMe

On the Ice
Jason Brown is the Men's Sarah Hughes.....He never makes mistakes and he can land a couple quads...The skies the limit.

:scratch2: Never makes mistakes?
I know what you meant, but Jason isn't particularly known for being consistent (although he usually does have at least 1 flawless, quadless, short program and free program a season).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason tends to be all smiles all the time and it comes off as childlike for a European like me. Many also bring that phoney plastered smile on various occasions, in Poland it's not popular (but I know it is in U.S & UK). Here smile generally means that you like somebody / or something happy / funny took place.

I know plenty of Europeans who appreciate Jason’s positivity and happiness, which requires real “adulting” to maintain.

Any child can be miserable when they don’t do well; it takes maturity to be positive and smile in such a situation. So perhaps it rubs you the wrong way, (and how genuine positivity can rub anyone the wrong way beats the heck out of me) but don’t blame it on “Americans” or “Europeans”. Got Jackson B. Squat to do with that :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:scratch2: Never makes mistakes?
I know what you meant, but Jason isn't particularly known for being consistent (although he usually does have at least 1 flawless, quadless, short program and free program a season).

He might not be perfect, but with a few notable exceptions he usually doesn't bomb to the point he isn't where he needs to be or out of contention for things like World spots or gp medals.

Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
Does Jason have to do a cartoonish interpretation of that music? Hamilton has a lot of pathos in it, and humor, but not this kind of 5-year-old having fun.

Also, if you don't have a quad, AND can't execute a smooth Triple Axel for a SP in Men's Singles, coupled with that brand of cheesiness, I really do not see the appeal anymore. I changed channel after that step-out.

Also Adam, that style of faux feminine fierceness with the nightclub theme really is quite awkward when there's no technical feats or skating skills to back it up. No speed, two-foot skating, tight landing on triples. He is obviously very fit but I see no agility or power on the ice.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Yes, he does look gay, because he's smiling and gay people are happy people. As for the other definition of gay, I have no idea what you're talking about. I didn't realize someone's physical appearance was indicative of their sexuality. Anyways, I have to disagree with you on this notion of nationality dictating how positive someone is. In the skating community, Jason is known as an extremely kind and positive person, moreso than many other skaters. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's American. And by arguing that positivity varies by country, you're insinuating that America has a strong collective identity which dictates positivity, which I have to disagree with as well. Nationality shapes people, but don't underestimate their ethnic and cultural roots as well as the environment they grew up in.

I apologise for my post, I suppose it may come off as slightly inappropriate. But I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Does Jason have to do a cartoonish interpretation of that music? Hamilton has a lot of pathos in it, and humor, but not this kind of 5-year-old having fun.

Also, if you don't have a quad, AND can't execute a smooth Triple Axel for a SP in Men's Singles, coupled with that brand of cheesiness, I really do not see the appeal anymore. I changed channel after that step-out.

Also Adam, that style of faux feminine fierceness with the nightclub theme really is quite awkward when there's no technical feats or skating skills to back it up. No speed, two-foot skating, tight landing on triples. He is obviously very fit but I see no agility or power on the ice.

Since Lin-Manuel Miranda is a Jason fan - as is his successor on Broadway, Javier Muñoz - maybe the fact that you can’t see the program’s appeal is on you, not Jason.

Fruitpie

On the Ice
I know that what I am going to say is kinda wrong, but the more Jason smiles, the less I like him (or more like I trust him less). Reading his interviews I started to think that he smiles not because he loves the world, but because he thinks the world loves him. And of course world loves him! But those smiles are not genuine in my coordinate system.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There's being positive and then there's being an IRL Spongebob Squarepants. I can see why the latter is annoying to some people...childish, naive, cheesy, whatever you want to call it - it's annoying to me. But I identify with Squidward, so... :shrug:

moriel

Record Breaker
I know plenty of Europeans who appreciate Jason’s positivity and happiness, which requires real “adulting” to maintain.

Any child can be miserable when they don’t do well; it takes maturity to be positive and smile in such a situation. So perhaps it rubs you the wrong way, (and how genuine positivity can rub anyone the wrong way beats the heck out of me) but don’t blame it on “Americans” or “Europeans”. Got Jackson B. Squat to do with that :biggrin:

In many countries, smiling has nothing to do with genuine positivity.
For example, in russia, people commonly smile when something funny happens. So smile is not same as positive attitude, and the fact someone is serious does not mean the person is showing how miserable he/she feels. In fact, if you smile at someone on the street at random (specially in smaller towns and so on, where people are less familiar with western attitude), the person may get annoyed because they will think you are making fun at them.
In fact, there is even a russian proverb that says "smiling for no reason is a sign of lack of intelligence".

What makes people uncomfortable about Jason's happiness sometimes is not the genuine positivity. Is that, in several cultures, his attitude DOES NOT MEAN genuine positivity, but something totally different.

Another example of such cultural differences could be the ok gesture: https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2017/05/03/15/ok-hand.jpg
In some countries, it means "ok". In others, it means "f**k you", "you are an a-hole".

I dont mean to anyhow disrespect Jason or imply anything about him in this post, btw. Just saying people of different cultures may perceive things differently.

Jedi

On the Ice
The judging here was very very generous - probably the most for the skating and second tier skaters. Sad no first tier skaters here. But good news for Jason and Adam. It is important probably that Adam beats Jason to get into the jduge's minds he is a threat to go to the olympics. Sad about Hanyu but have faith - he will be ready for the olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You all are entitled to your opinion, of course. And I totally get why people are annoyed by Jason's personality. But I think it's a huge reach to say it's not genuine or that it's some sort of act. I know a lot of people like that and it's just how they tend to express their extrovertism, especially when they are in a room full of people. I bet if you caught him in a one-to-one setting he's probably way more chill.

His personality seems to not deter him from meaningful relationships with other skaters. We just saw him make an effort to write a message to Yuzu in Japanese.... And at Skate Canada, all the Japanese skaters, like Shoma, Rika and Marin, seem to enjoy his company. Evgenia Medvedeva and Maria Sotskova affectionatly call him "Sunny boy." People see what they want to see, I guess.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Honestly I don't know how on any level of the Universe someone could think Jason is an ugly American. That's just preposterous. It's okay not to like his exhuberance or be annoyed by his cheerfulness, but agree with Mrs. P - to say it's not genuine is really a stretch. His personality is consistent - it's not put on. I think if you're making a judgement like this based on what you see on TV that's pretty flimsy.

JustMe

On the Ice
Since Lin-Manuel Miranda is a Jason fan - as is his successor on Broadway, Javier Muñoz - maybe the fact that you can’t see the program’s appeal is on you, not Jason.

Since when are Lin-Manuel and Munoz figure skating experts? Or choreographers, for that matter? yes, they are artists, and as most artists, they are all about spreading their art. Heck, maybe they're even running off to produce Hamilton on Ice soon! And yet, their approval does not mean it's a good program! The only approval that matters is that of the judges, and Jason has clearly gotten the thumbs up.
I'm a fan of Jason's skating (with or without a quad), and I love the music from Hamilton, but the style of the choreography does not match the music (hip-hop). But that's just an observation, not a complaint (yet, if push came to shove, I would personally lower the pcs for choreography and interpretation...which would then force me to lower everyone else's even more, lol).
My opinion about Adam's short is the same as last years: That's an awesome, perfect exhibition piece for him!! (he can use this for the Hamilton on Ice audition, lol)

babyskate

On the Ice
I know that what I am going to say is kinda wrong, but the more Jason smiles, the less I like him (or more like I trust him less). Reading his interviews I started to think that he smiles not because he loves the world, but because he thinks the world loves him. And of course world loves him! But those smiles are not genuine in my coordinate system.
I have had a few opportunities to meet Jason.
He is so genuine and he smiles because he is an upbeat, optimistic person that appreciates being able to do what he loves the most, skate and entertain. He is also serious about competition, trains hard but can put things such as a not so perfect outing in perspective. He is truly a gifted skater and person.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKCB6X9HKCBUTQP03T.html

Jason's comment in the press con after SP

"To compete with Yuzuru in Japan is the best stage for any skater. It was the first time for me to attend the competition without Yuzuru in Japan, I was very sad and I felt something different. Of course, if you get on the ice, you will concentrate on your performance and do your best. However, I had a sad feeling that something was missing. Everyone thinks about him and I want him to recover soon."

I knew he was sweet but he made me cry today. I thank him very much for his message to Yuzuru!!

I enjoyed watching men's SP, some skaters are close in the scores so FS is going to be interesting. And I'm very glad and proud that Sato and Tomono did very well!!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's the real deal. This world could use more people like him.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
A smile can also be self-protection. If you smile you show that the world keeps on turning for you. It's better than the angry face, I guess. Less wrinkles.

I've written this before, but the german Eurosport commentators do not understand Jason. They don't understand that he smiles, when he has no reason to smile, after a bad skate. So, it is perhaps really a cultural thing at work here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A smile can also be self-protection. If you smile you show that the world keeps on turning for you. It's better than the angry face, I guess. Less wrinkles.

I've written this before, but the german Eurosport commentators do not understand Jason. They don't understand that he smiles, when he has no reason to smile, after a bad skate. So, it is perhaps really a cultural thing at work here.

Yep there's studies on this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps...ership/201206/there-s-magic-in-your-smile?amp

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look, I'm not a fan of the TV version of Jason. But it doesn't matter.

I don't know him. I don't know his family. We don't spend time together. I don't give two hoots about him - or any other skater for that matter - beyond their ability to entertain me and/or impress me with their athleticism and/or artistry.

I don't get why people get so hung up on personality. It's irrelevant.

What can Jason (or anyone else) deliver in terms of quality programs? That's what matters. The debate should center on that - and we can disagree on what is or is not a quality program.

My criticism of Jason's short program is not particularly ground-breaking... He didn't skate it perfectly. And if you're going into a competition with a decidedly lower base value, then you need to skate it perfectly. A two-quad SP skater can survive a step-out, because he's got such an advantage going in. Jason cannot afford those mistakes.

Ordinarily, third placement would be OK. But with such a depleted field, it's pretty bad for a skater of his ranking. I suspect he'll come back in the LP, probably even win it. But these SP errors won't cut it against a robust international field. It won't even cut it at US Nats.