2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies SP

SXTN

Final Flight
If Katarina Kostner eventually starts putting jumps into her programs, she will score around 77-78 again, now that she has worked on hitting all level 4's. The closest to Evgenia Medvedevveedeva. The message the judges send is clear: Go for the flip girl (that sounds soooo 80's) and we close the gap to that kid".

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It was about "skaters with poor basics shouldn't bother with transitions" and I disagreed with that logic.

Gliding is fine as a transition and that's really not what I have a problem with. But it can't be all gliding. I definitely prefer more "busy" programs than some, but one still has to understand that they are supposed to show off difficulty as well. Galas are for different things.
I can and I try to appreciate different styles. When Carolina skates she moves her whole body, head, arms and torso. She's gliding and balancing, her style feels very natural to me. Evgenia's is more artificial and purposeful. Again, Evgenia's and Carolina's styles are very difficult to compare. If a skater needs less steps to complete a level 4 step sequence than another I think that this skater is the superior skater. But it always comes down to personal taste. Evgenia has improved a lot in the last two years imo, I learned to appreciate her more than I did in the past. And she's doing exactly what she needs to do in order to get top scores. If the rules were a bit different I'm sure she would be successful as well. Carolina has shown that she can still be very successful, she's also adapting her skating, working diligently on her spins etc.. She's a great role model for young skaters and we, as fans, can still appreciate her skating. And I must say, I feel a bit sorry for those skating fans who can't ... they're missing something.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Evgenia is the goddess of Ladies figure skating and with the lead she has.....I doubt any skater will catch her. Bravo to her coach Eteri, Med is not only a gifted skater, she is one of the best competitors in the history of the sport.

She's amazing.
And that hairstyle would fit well with a statue of a Greek goddess.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I re-watched Mirai's SP and it looked like she was about to set up for the 3A (that's what I thought watching it live), changes her mind (even lowers her arms rather casually) then re-sets up again before going into the jump. I wonder if she somehow had a brain freeze and forgot her choreo at that precise moment? In any event, she seemed off from the start.

I am glad you mentioned this because that's exactly the impression I had. I actually thought she skated through the element but then she kept going, and jumped. I think even TAT and Grishin remarked on that IIRC.

Oh and TAT had an interesting comment.
She said that she wonders if the 3A takes so much mental strength out of her, that after it's completed, it may be a tad of a drop, mentally. I still think it's good for Mirai to go for it, but it is something to think about.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I'd love to know more about what Yulia said throughout the entirety.
Glad she is still involved in figure skating in a way.

well, nothing really interesting...
Right after the skate she said:
This is probably a new record. This is what we call a start+ (i don't know what that means). On the practice it was not that smooth, but in the skate it was ideal.

Commenting her elements she admitted they were very good. After seeing the summary table she said that no one doubted it will be like this. She also said she was expecting such results, but would like second russian to also be in top3. Then she realized that it's just one point difference and said that everything will be decided in FS.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The probrem with the spread eagle is that she waits 10 seconds, she goes maybe 10 meters to execute a jump. This is not even transition before jump. It shouldnt be counted
I'm not sure what you mean by that. A transition is a transition and it should count if it's a decent one and not repeated over and over again. If it's right before a jump it can improve the jump GOE.

Purv

Match Penalty
Medvedeva...I'm just speechless. Aside from the horrible bit at the end which we all agree we hate, I love this programme. I completely disagree that it's rushed (except maybe for her Ina Bauer, I'd like a little bit more made of that). It makes use of the pauses and breaths in the programme without standing like a lemon for 7 seconds. This programme doesn't feel like a competitive routine that she's rushing to the end of, it feels like a proper piece that she is leading you through. Mirai's programme felt very rushed at parts and hugely empty at others with very little attention paid to choreography or even the build of the music. That's fine, but it then causes the programme to rely entirely on the individual elements keeping it going and you then need to absolutely nail your elements and it's very dangerous if you don't, as she found today

"This programme doesn't feel like a competitive routine that she's rushing to the end of, it feels like a proper piece that she is leading you through"
How do you know all of it ,if she skates the same program every year. the same layout,jumps etc..I judt dont get it, if some let me understand it ,not just bullying with being a hater.What is the meaning of "INT" in PCS score if half part of the program are just jumps? The piece that she is leading you through is firs part of the program? Because when she ends first half doing her STSEQ, i think "Oh theres only jumps left!"End of the program. As a piece it dosnt work

Grin

Medalist
Just sent Evgenia's program to a few friends.

Judging by their reactions, she's helping create new figure skate fans :hap10:

Thanks for good advice. I've sent it to my friends and one of them reminded me to buy flowers (I gonna see her live tomorrow:love:)

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
I am glad you mentioned this because that's exactly the impression I had. I actually thought she skated through the element but then she kept going, and jumped. I think even TAT and Grishin remarked on that IIRC.

Oh and TAT had an interesting comment.
She said that she wonders if the 3A takes so much mental strength out of her, that after it's completed, it may be a tad of a drop, mentally. I still think it's good for Mirai to go for it, but it is something to think about.

I think that was exactly what happened. It might not be a bad thing that she had this issue today rather than later on. She knows she can land the 3A now so she can focus on executing each element in isolation, without letting any previous fall or success influencing it. We will see how successful she will be at doing this.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
"This programme doesn't feel like a competitive routine that she's rushing to the end of, it feels like a proper piece that she is leading you through"
How do you know all of it ,if she skates the same program every year. the same layout,jumps etc..I judt dont get it, if some let me understand it ,not just bullying with being a hater.What is the meaning of "INT" in PCS score if half part of the program are just jumps? The piece that she is leading you through is firs part of the program? Because when she ends first half doing her STSEQ, i think "Oh theres only jumps left!"End of the program. As piece it dosnt work
You should rewatch them if you think it's the same program.

This is in my opinion the best SP she's had ever since I started watching her. And she's definitely evolved her skating.

Purv

Match Penalty
I'm not sure what you mean by that. A transition is a transition and it should count if it's a decent one and not repeated over and over again. If it's right before a jump it can improve the jump GOE.

I know it improves your GOE, but her spread eagle it was not right before a jump. It took maybe 10 seconds for her to jump it.Last year she had something like that. maybe in FP

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
How do you know all of it ,if she skates the same program every year. the same layout,jumps etc..I judt dont get it, if some let me understand it ,not just bullying with being a hater.What is the meaning of "INT" in PCS score if half part of the program are just jumps? The piece that she is leading you through is firs part of the program? Because when she ends first half doing her STSEQ, i think "Oh theres only jumps left!"End of the program. As piece it dosnt work

Jumps are literally 10-15 seconds of the 2nd half of the program. Ice skating is a sport, sure you have to interpret but there have to be jumps and technical content for it to be legit. If anything it's harder to have a good interpretation WHILE doing difficult things. Evgenia manages just fine imo

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I know it improves your GOE, but her spread eagle it was not right before a jump. It took maybe 10 seconds for her to jump it.Last year she had something like that. maybe in FP
You are allowed to perform choreographical elements even if they're not right before a jump.

Purv

Match Penalty
Jumps are literally 10-15 seconds of the 2nd half of the program. Ice skating is a sport, sure you have to interpret but there have to be jumps and technical content for it to be legit. If anything it's harder to have a good interpretation WHILE doing difficult things. Evgenia manages just fine imo

But they took half of the time + spins. Those spins kill me anyway. Too much of them in a row

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I see no reason why a spread eagle has to be right before a jump.
I think that's the problem with transitions nowadays, some people seem to think that transitions that are not in and out of jumps are worthless. They are not.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
But they took half of the time + spins. Those spins kill me anyway. Too much of them in a row
Look here. There is stuff between the jumps, too. The jumps take maybe around 5 seconds each in terms of entry and exit, which indeed is around hmm 15 seconds in total, maybe 16 if we add the combo. The rest is something other than jumps. Try looking at what she does in between the jumps, for instance.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
If Katarina Kostner eventually starts putting jumps into her programs, she will score around 77-78 again, now that she has worked on hitting all level 4's. The closest to Evgenia Medvedevveedeva. The message the judges send is clear: Go for the flip girl (that sounds soooo 80's) and we close the gap to that kid".

Carolina Witt disagrees!

(sorry, it's just so tempting...)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

LOL are you being serious. It bothers you that there's spins and jumps and that they are close together in a 2 min program? Of figure skating? A sport that requires spins and jumps.